LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102397 - 01/04/03 11:26 PM Incredible trip for next summer!
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Those of you who haven't fly fished for silvers at Neah Bay are missing out! I'm talking casting and stripping, clouser minnows at hundreds of aggressive salmon, often watching them charge your fly! I use an 8wt, with an interchangable sink tip line and chartruese and white clousers. On a nice day the water is like glass! The only catch is you need a good stable boat for those not so nice days! There is only one fly fishing charter that I know of out there, run by Chris Bellows at Topwater Charters. I have never fished with him, but know a few who have and they all had great trips. I know that he has helped me many times when I had questions, or justed wanted to know where to find the fish. If you are looking for a great in-state trip, either guided or on your own.... this one cant be beat!

#102398 - 01/06/03 01:04 AM Re: Incredible trip for next summer!
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
I've had great fun fishing out Sekiu with the bugrod these past late summer/falls...I just rent a boat from Van Ripers and head on out...it is actually fairly easy!!

Look for rips, birds and make your way in amongst the trollers and moochers and you will find fish...if you are still having trouble, just bucktail on the surface...great way to find fish and get some large coho (12+ pounds) to slam flies on the surface!

#102399 - 01/08/03 06:20 PM Re: Incredible trip for next summer!
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Columbia Co. Oregon
Elkrun, sounds great. For a long time I've wanted to do flyrod silvers, but down here the oppportunity just doesn't exist like it does in Neah Bay ( a lot closer than Alaska too).

What's the time frame that I should mark on my calendar?

BTW, if we were to trailer our Hewes 179 Searunner up there, we'd gladly take a third person aboard (assuming that's a big enough boat for the conditions?)

#102400 - 01/08/03 10:26 PM Re: Incredible trip for next summer!
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Gary-

I've had great days on the opener in july. 2 years ago we hammered them and they ran 6-8lbs. Last year they were sparse and a smallish 4lbs. Everything was late last year, but look for the best tides in early to mid august. You can hit them pretty well at Sekiu, but overall, I've had a way higher percentage of amazing days at Neah. A lot less company too. Last year the fish came into the strait really late and you had to run to swiftsure bank (12 miles) if you watch the weather and the tides, you can hit it so it is glass the entire way. On the other hand, it can be puke city too. I have seen 14 foot boats out at swiftsure, but I dont think I'd do it..... It is seriously, the best fishing you could ask for most days in august. Maybe I'll see you there! ELKRUN

#102401 - 01/13/03 12:15 AM Re: Incredible trip for next summer!
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Columbia Co. Oregon
Thanks ElkRun, early August is just before the Columbia chinook fishing really takes off in my area, so it would be a good time to make a run up and see some new country. Thanks for the info - I'm taping this thread to the fridge's door as a reminder!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Brad_tgl, Coho, NewNWSalmon3
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 813 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |