LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104205 - 01/04/05 01:59 AM Litespeed 3 guts rusting?
Peter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Gig Harbor,WA
Fish roughly once a month and virtually no water goes into the bearing section of my reels. After a day of fishing I take apart the reels and let them sit in my room to dry. Couple days ago I go to open the bearing section of my reel and I see rust all over the metal parts? Have you Litespeed owners out there experience this and has Lamson given you a hard time asking for a replacement or repair?

Why doesn't Lamson make the housing to the bearings resistant to water,etc. instead of just a plain steel material.

Now I have to ship it off to Lamson to get it fixed, hopefully it won't take over a month since this is the only 8wt reel I have, I might be forced to buy a backup.

<><
Matthew 4:19

#104206 - 01/04/05 02:20 AM Re: Litespeed 3 guts rusting?
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Peter

What type grease/oil do you use?

Try Super Lube Islander/Tibor recommeds it on there reels I've been useing it it for a while with no problem (rust).

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#104207 - 01/04/05 12:42 PM Re: Litespeed 3 guts rusting?
Peter Offline
Returning Adult

I was told not to use any type of lubricant, but now its too late. The rust has reached the roller bearings. Next time I'll use some type of waterproof grease. frown

#104208 - 01/04/05 10:49 PM Re: Litespeed 3 guts rusting?
FlyH20 Offline
Smolt

Peter,

Lamson is a very good company. I have sold and used there reels many years and I think you will have no problem getting your reel taken care of.

#104209 - 01/06/05 09:11 PM Re: Litespeed 3 guts rusting?
First Light Offline
Smolt

Send them a nicely worded email explaining the problem and how much you like the reel and their products etc. It usually works for me.
the very few times I have had problems with a fly rod or reel, wader, etc.

FL

#104210 - 01/08/05 01:37 AM Re: Litespeed 3 guts rusting?
Peter Offline
Returning Adult

Sent it out the other day and spoke to a phone rep. They charged me 20.00 s/h and insurance, man thats a hefty sum!

I hope they just replace the guts and not repair.
Now I'm in the market for a backup reel, more likely the Teton Tioga LA #8, the best under 100.00 (ebay).

Peter <><

#104211 - 01/12/05 05:24 PM Re: Litespeed 3 guts rusting?
fred evans Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: White City, Oregon
Maybe I've just been lucky ... but in over 50 years of fly fishing (the last 20 almost 100 % 2-handers), lots of different reels from very inexpensive to pretty darned pricie .. I've never had a speck of rust.

By def. reels are going to get wet, inside and out. Seems darned silly that a 'quality reel maker' would use "parts" that were subject to rust. Need to lube them, yes, but not as 'rust protection.' confused

#104212 - 01/14/05 02:09 AM Re: Litespeed 3 guts rusting?
Peter Offline
Returning Adult

Got my reel back today(fast 5 days) and now its in great shape. They not only gave me a new house-bearing but an entire new conical drag aluminum housing. I was hoping they would do that.

I'll remember next time to make sure I rinse with fresh water and make sure my reel is 110% dry before I seperate the reel and cage after a day of fishing in salt,rivers,etc.

Now whats a good waterproofing grease for internal bearings like the Litespeed, or do I even need it?

Thanks!

Peter <><

PS, I suggested to the rep on the phone that people like me wouldn't mind spending the extra 50.00 or so to have the bearing-housing out of titanium or stainless steel to decrease chances of rusting,etc. She said that they have NO plans on doing that in the near future, and it would cost ALOT of money to make something like that happen. Oh well, it was worth a try...

#104213 - 01/14/05 03:07 AM Re: Litespeed 3 guts rusting?
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Peter
Check out this web-site

Super Lube

http://precisionreloading.com/superlube.htm

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |