Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104447 - 05/12/05 02:36 PM Chinook on a fly
Vidjoe Offline
Alevin

Loc: Snohomish
Is it possible? Have you ever done it? How do you do it?
The Skagit is going to have a short season for those big boys i was wondering if anybody has any ideas.

#104448 - 05/12/05 06:08 PM Re: Chinook on a fly
Willieboats Offline
Fry

Loc: Olympia
Given the right situation, yes you can.
I've caught several kings on flies. They take better on a dead drifted or stripped fly than one that is swinging. The fish should not be traveling.
I'm not convinced if it matters what flie it is, as long as it's in their face.

Don

#104449 - 05/12/05 08:13 PM Re: Chinook on a fly
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA

yes it can be done...

#104450 - 05/13/05 09:46 AM Re: Chinook on a fly
First Light Offline
Smolt

Definitely can be done, need them in fresh and pooled up though not running up etc. Dark days are best, these fish are very light sensitive more than steelhead I think.

Sinktips and streamers or speys, nymphs also dead drifted or worked as a streamer will work at times.

Caught my first king on a fly in 1981.

10 wt rod at least for these beasts.

Have fun.

FL

#104452 - 05/14/05 03:00 AM Re: Chinook on a fly
Willieboats Offline
Fry

Loc: Olympia
D3S,
Great shot!

Don

#104453 - 05/14/05 10:51 AM Re: Chinook on a fly
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Joe -
Chinook can certainly be taken on a fly. At various times I have target them with some success. Over the last 30 years I have formed some opinions on methods are consistently succesful -this includes:

1) Fishing on a swing ala steelhead is not a productive method for chinook.

2) Flies - succesful patterns fall into two groups - are small, dark, buggy -typically size 6s and 8s varying in color from dirty orange to black. Have noticed that successful colors vary from river to river so experiment. The other approach is a baitfish type bug fished pretty aggressively.

Have had success on traveling fish - I prefer to tagrget fish in the estuary or the traveling fish up river. This is particularly true here in Washington where if you are fishing waters that are open for chinook you will be dealing with lots of gear guys which will limit your access to fish holding in the deeper stacking pools. There will be either guys fishing on top of the fish or the boat traffic will force the fish in deep/heavy water that limits the access for the fly angler.

The Skagit fishery is likely to be really popular with the gear guys. With this year's snow pack I would expect you will be dealing with clear water and lower flows than normal. If I were to target chinook I would fishing a traveling slot that affords a chance to get my fly to the chinook's level at dawn or dusk.

The tackle that I use for steelhead has been adequate for those chinook I have caught,

Tight lines
S malma

#104454 - 05/16/05 10:34 AM Re: Chinook on a fly
Vidjoe Offline
Alevin

Loc: Snohomish
Thanks for all the help guys.
I guess I'm a little undergunned with an 8 wt. But I'm gonna try anyway.

#104455 - 05/24/05 09:21 PM Re: Chinook on a fly
otterbfishin Offline
Egg

Here in south central Alaska, after I have my "meat fish" for the year, I exclusively fish Kings on flys. I use an 9' 8 wt. with HD Sink Tip. Early season Kings in slightly off color water, respond well to large rabbit flys 4 to 6 inches long. Chartreuse, or purple, with a little crystal flash tied in at each side are my favorites; shorter flys for very clear water. I tie them with enough floatation in the body (foam or whatever you can come up with), so that with a short 25lb to 40 lb leader on a fast sinking line, the fly will drift at about eye level with the bottom hugguing Kings. Wrap the rabbit right over your chosen flotation. I use 2/0 to 4/0 Siwash hooks for these rigs. Another producer in clear water is a very large "Glo Bug" about the size of a quarter. tie in a little white marabou to simulate skein or sperm. Quarter cast either of these patterns upstream to get the fly at "depth" right in front of you. Strip only enough to keep the line tight, and strike like the blazes at any pause. Be sure of your nail knot at the line to leadr intersection. Re-tie as often as necessary. I lost my biggest king (estimated at around 60 lbs) right at the bank due to the line weakening at the nail knot. You can also "Mooch" these patterns down stream into deep holes, keep the fly moving down stream below you in one foot releases. Be sure you're on the bottom. The strikes with the mooching method are subtle, so don't be afraid to strike at any change in your drift.
Good Luck!
otter

#104456 - 06/07/05 07:07 AM Re: Chinook on a fly
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

I have banked 16 kings on the fly. Not counting boots. Biggest was a green and silvery 41.5 inch king, 31 pounds, on the South Fork Salmon river in Idaho. On 8wt sage with Ross evolution 3.5 reel. Ran up and down that dam river for 30 minutes with that fish. It was the third biggest checked out of over 2,400 on a mandatory check station.

From the advice he gives I would guess Otter has prb taken more kings on a fly then anyone else thats posted here. His advice won't steer you wrong. I take kings on the move on a reg basis. The tricks are to keep your profile low, and your fly in its face. Find bottlenecks in smaller waters. Those fish rarely deviate from thier line they take when moving upstream (like a fishy gametrail). Also have room to chase your fish. Keep your hooks supersharp. Have quality polarized shades. And learn how to use the butt of your rod to really apply pressure when using a 16-20 pound tippet. Fav fly is the sz #1 globug on a gammy octupus hook.

Drop me an email and I'll go with you. I've not ever fished the Skagit.
vince.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |