Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#757350 - 05/02/12 04:20 PM Belize vacation trip
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

It's been over a week since we returned from Belize, and with my shoulder procedure that left me with a Parkerized chicken wing, I finally got the vacation photos uploaded to my computer. Then of course is the even bigger PIA of resizing some of them and uploading to PP, but I managed a few to share.

The nice (?) thing is after leaving Sea-Tac at 6 AM with the temp in the 40s, arriving at the airport in Belize with the temp in the high 80s and a bit humid, we're greeted by a local reggae band.

After clearing customs a taxi took us to Belize City waterfront and the water taxi to Ambergris Caye.

And from there a local taxi took us to Hotel del Rio where we had this cabana.

The main reason we choose April for our visit was to avoid the February and March winds that hamper our ability to fly fish on the flats. Strong winds stir up silt in the shallow waters and disturb the water surface such that even the guides have a hard time spotting fish, making it really difficult for me to see them. As luck would have it, strong winds began blowing the day before we arrived (and lasted until the day after we left the islands). It was blowing too hard for our guide to venture across to the "tarpon flats," so we made do with some local bonefish. Like Ascension Bay in Mexico, they run small, typically between 1 and 3 pounds.

Mrs. Salmo got in on the bonefishing too.

We fished Ambergris for two days, catching lots of bonefish, but no permit or tarpon. Then ventured to laid back Caye Caulker, where Lulu the golf cart taxi driver said, "no shoes, no shirt, no problem. No money, big problem."
Fresh catch of the day at Rose's Restaurant in Caye Caulker. We had grouper, and it's delicious.

After one day fishing out of Caye Caulker in even worse wind, we returned to the mainland and went inland, first to the Belize zoo, where I was greeted by this 5 or 6' long boa constrictor.

Also saw this rare ocelot. Cute kitty with a mean growel.

And a jaguar . . .

And the croc (no swimming here)

There were other cool animals as well, tapir, picarries, and cool birds, including a Harpie eagle, the world's largest. That thing could fly away with a goat.
The next day we visited some Mayan ruins. Sorry I can't recall how to spell the name. Actually saw a lot more ruins and have many photos.

You see the trees to the left of the Castle ruin? There were a couple of howler monkeys in those trees. Here's a juvie:

One day we visited what's called the "ATM" cave. It's a national park, kinda' expensive ($80), highly restricted, and way, way uber cool. You have to swim into the cave, wear sandals or tennis shoes to hike up the creek in the cave, and have a spelunker's helmet and headlamp. It is absolutely totally spooky dark in there. But in there are Mayan artifacts from some ritual ceremonies (c. 1100 AD). Lotsa' stalactites, stalagmites, oh, and skulls and skeletons.

Here we are swimming back out the entrance to the cave.

#757464 - 05/03/12 12:22 AM Re: Belize vacation trip [Re: Salmo g.]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Looks like a great trip, Sg. Lest we all forget, fishing ain't the only reason to visit Belize. There's some fantastic human history on display there as well, not to mention the earthbound wildlife.

Cool.

#757478 - 05/03/12 01:38 AM Re: Belize vacation trip [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Bonefish...cool.

Jungle...extra cool.

Pyramids and ruins in the jungle...too cool to contemplate.

Very nice! I'm glad you had such a good time, Steve...looks killer!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#757510 - 05/03/12 10:46 AM Re: Belize vacation trip [Re: ]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Should have read your description more closely.

Did you visit the Belize Zoo out side of Belize city? That Jaguar, was it the one born in captivity, so it has a permanent residence there at the zoo?

Very cool trip.

Edited by Sam Roffe (05/03/12 10:47 AM)

#757519 - 05/03/12 12:02 PM Re: Belize vacation trip [Re: SRoffe]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Sam,

There are two jaguar, one was born there at the zoo. The zoo is a wild animal rescue, so the collection depends on what animals have been rescued, either from injuries sustained in the wild, or like the boa, pets that grew too large for the owner to care for. Not the best of situations, but it's nice to be able to see rare animals you're unlikely to see in the wild. That ocelot is one cool cat, and when he takes two steps into the jungle he just disappears. I bet he is one lethal hunter.

I'm giving up on beating the wind for these winter get away trips. I think I'll just plan on going in late February or early March, and have some back up activities to do if the wind screws up the fishing plans.

Sg

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |