Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#823192 - 02/15/13 11:45 PM Lago Strobel
BrotherChin Offline
Smolt

Loc: Rivers of Babylon
AKA Jurassic Lake. Heard about this place last Saturday on NW Wildcountry on my drive out to the coast and figured if it captivated Zog it was worth a google search when I got back. I'll let you do your own quick google search but it looks like the Alaskan tundra on steroids. Transplanted Mcloud Rainbow into a lake that is just full of scuds and such so the fish can grow to pretty impressive size and rediculous numbers.

The Lake is completely landlocked and has 1 major feeder stream called Barancusa or Jurassic River and fish will migrate in all year long. Small pocket water and a half azzed presented hopper seems to bring bigguns from the shadows. I get the feeling you could bypass the mouse pattern and go straight to the rat sized pattern.

7+ plus hour drive after multiple plane rides plus limited participation and way too windy conditions for helicopters or planes to get into. Of course the price tag reaches Kamchatka rates.

Don't we all want to say we fished a place called Jurassic Lake? I have heard of and looked at other places in the region(Argentina) like Tierra del Fuego and Rio Gallegos, but this looks really incredible for not being a sea-run based fishery.

Well worth a little look.

#823206 - 02/16/13 12:42 AM Re: Lago Strobel [Re: BrotherChin]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
I spent a few weeks in and around the area back in late Nov/early Dec. Strobel is one of quite a few lakes down that way that host a very healthy population of scud fed pigs. Probably some of the biggest, baddest rainbows on the planet. As you said, getting there is hard to put it mildly. Even after you have made it to Argentina, the trip from Ruta 40 to the lake is not only impossible in anything other than a jeep/4wd. To further complicate things the road is across private property and getting permission/gaining access is no easy or cheap task based on the research I did.

I was hoping to be able to sneak a few DIY days in on Strobel on the way by, but couldn't piece it together.

Loop has a lodge near the boca de Barancoso which is the small river that feeds the lake and where the rainbows spawn. They do offer a reduced rate for tent based accommodations but it still isn't cheap. There is another lodge on the east side of the lake called Trophy Rainbow something or other that claims to offer DIY support and cheaper lodging and transportation, but info is super limited.

Strobel is in the middle of friggin nowhere, much like the rest of Argentina between the coast and the Andes. Fishing anywhere in the area is an expedition to say the least. Cool country though.

I have a new-in-box guidebook (Trout bums guide to argentina) for the area if anyone is planning a trip. Wound up with two somehow.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#823509 - 02/17/13 08:36 PM Re: Lago Strobel [Re: ColeyG]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
The Fly Shop manages trips if you have an extra $7K laying around.

www.theflyshop.com

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1006 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |