LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#923800 - 02/27/15 08:50 AM Scandi or Skagit?
RogueBum Offline
Parr

Loc: Southern Oregon
This is a nice little series about the difference between the Scandinavian and the Skagit systems. It is a 4 part series that is pretty simple to understand for the novice, and it has some great information for the experienced angler as well.

Just thought I'd share it...

Part #1 - http://www.jsrods.com/blog/skagit-or-scandi-pt-1-history/
Part #2 - http://www.jsrods.com/blog/skagit-or-scandi-pt-2-head-characteristics/
Part #3 - http://www.jsrods.com/blog/skagit-or-scandi-pt-3-river-conditions/
Part #4 - http://www.jsrods.com/blog/skagit-or-scandi-pt-4-recommended-casts-formulas/

#923809 - 02/27/15 11:05 AM Re: Scandi or Skagit? [Re: RogueBum]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Nice synopsis. Thanks for sharing.

#923976 - 03/02/15 09:42 AM Re: Scandi or Skagit? [Re: RogueBum]
RogueBum Offline
Parr

Thanks Salmo. The goal wasn't to write an all inclusive encyclopedia, but rather something simple and informative for the novice caster. Once a certain level of skill is achieved, I think most (if not all) rules might be thrown out the window.

#924153 - 03/04/15 06:38 AM Re: Scandi or Skagit? [Re: RogueBum]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Big time help! Thanks. Now I just need to learn what length and weight sink tip to use to get down perfect, by just looking at the water instead of trial and error. Might be a new topic?

#924157 - 03/04/15 07:45 AM Re: Scandi or Skagit? [Re: RogueBum]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Getting the fly to the desired depth can always involve some trial and error. With experience, I can usually look at the water I'm about to fish and estimate what sink tip I want to use and whether I will use an unweighted or weighted fly. I'm finding my 15' type VI to be nearly universal, unless the water is significantly slower than average, in which case I switch to a type III. And if I can get deep enough by angling my cast straight out or slightly upstream, then I use a weighted fly. If that doesn't do it, I'm probably not fishing good fly water.

Sg

#924164 - 03/04/15 09:19 AM Re: Scandi or Skagit? [Re: Salmo g.]
RogueBum Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
If that doesn't do it, I'm probably not fishing good fly water.

I think that's a great point! A lot of times, if it's too difficult to get the bottom, that may not be the bottom you want to be fishing (for Steelhead anyways). Here is a pretty interesting study done you may want to check out. It's definitely an enumerative result, but pretty cool none the less.

http://flyfishingresearch.net/flydepthrules/flydepthresults.html

I don't believe anything in fly fishing can be taken as 100% accurate all the time. There are too many variables to consider, but the information given here is worth taking time to consider.

#924199 - 03/04/15 02:45 PM Re: Scandi or Skagit? [Re: RogueBum]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

A few years ago Ed Ward posted that if you aren't fishing deep enough with 9' of T-14, you're fishing the wrong water. I thought it was a good point, not universal, but kind of a rule of thumb.

#932501 - 06/19/15 08:01 AM Re: Scandi or Skagit? [Re: RogueBum]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I'm finding that I like longer tips on either of these types of setups, whenever I can make them work. Shorter tips make for better presentation tools, IMO, but if you can't get the cast to the lie, presentation doesn't mean much, so I usually make the compromise. With compact heads and tips shorter than 10 ft. or so, and especially on longer rods, I often struggle to keep my setup anchored when forming the D loop. That's probably the result of being a bit too aggressive on the backswing (read that as "my casting faults") instead of trusting the rod action to generate the speed and power. Anyway, using a longer tip and adjusting the grain weight down for the additional length, as opposed to using a shorter, faster-sinking tip, seems to help with that.

As for presentation, most takes seem to happen almost immediately after the fly starts swinging, and a big part of why probably has a lot to do with how the fly moves after it comes under tension. I think shorter tips probably cause the fly to rise away from the fish more quickly as it swims (maybe it mimics prey trying to escape and triggers a bite reaction). Whatever the case, figuring this stuff out is part of the fun of Spey fishing.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |