Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#975224 - 03/20/17 10:59 AM Entry level trout rod
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

I want to start fly fishing. I can't envision doing much besides trout fishing (for now anyway).

What is a decent entry level setup? I don't want to spend any more than necessary. I will likely fish mountain lakes, rivers, and small streams.

#975228 - 03/20/17 11:57 AM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: wsu]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Personally, I'd look for a 8.5' or 9' 5 wt for a good all around starter rod.
If you plan to fish a lot of small brushy streams, consider going with a shorter rod in the 7.5-8' range.
Budget wise, you can be all over the place but $100 to $150.00 for a rod should get you set up. Look at something like the Redington Classic Trout series.

The rod and line will be more important then reel. Just about any reel will work for how you plan to fish. Consider it a line holder, as you'll likely never see the backing.

You'll want to start out with a weight forward (WF) floating line. Some of the complete rod, reel and line set-ups come with a line, but they tend to be less then great.
A Cortland 444 would be a good option.

Mad,
What's wrong with having too many wonder wands?
OK, I'll admit I had seven 6 wts....but I sold one this weekend.
Would that be considered thinning the herd? wink
SF

#975244 - 03/20/17 02:49 PM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: wsu]
King of the Beach

Sold it off.
Had to wipe off the dust off to see what brand it was. wink
My buddy is putting it to good use.

By the way....
I have a 9', 2 pc, 3 wt Loomis IMX with sock and tube available if someone needs a light stick.
SF

Edited by stonefish (03/20/17 03:26 PM)

#975264 - 03/21/17 08:58 AM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: wsu]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

9' 5 wt is the most popular fly rod sold in the U.S., and for good reason. It's close to perfect as an all around trout and pan fish rod. The Redington Classic Trout that Stonefish mentioned is thought by many to be the best of the lower price point offerings in the market. I think they are currently priced around $130. Other good value options are offered by Cabela's in their Three Forks (cheapest at around $65), RLS, and LSi lines. Any of those series can be offered on sale, so check often. I bought a couple Cabela's Three Forks rods just to see how bad a cheap fly rod can be, and they are incredibly good for the price.

Good fly lines are pretty expensive. My favorite is the Cortland 444 peach color that has been around for over 40 years. They currently run about $60. However, there is a rumor that the house brand sold by Hook & Hackle is a re-labeled issue of that well known famous line in olive color at around $35 or so. I bought one in a 3 wt to pair with my Classic Trout, and it casts like the real deal, although I haven't used it enough to know if it's as long lasting as the real deal.

The best deal I've seen on entry level fly reels are the many old cheap reels on E-bay that can be had for around $30. They originally sold for less than $10, last forever, are no longer popular, and therefore for sale cheap. Buy one, clean it up, oil it, and fish it for as long as you like.

The above is the good quality, low price alternative, that most newbies reject due to lack of high zoot cool factor, and then they go buy some POS Okuma because it has a disc drag that no one really needs.

#975282 - 03/21/17 02:57 PM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: wsu]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I remember those days when I still knew how many rods I had.

#975286 - 03/21/17 03:35 PM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: Salmo g.]
King of the Beach

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
I remember those days when I still knew how many rods I had.

Sg,
Have you considered taking pictures of them for better inventory control? grin

Myass,
Down to five 6wts now, sold two this week.
Now, what to buy? LOL
SF

#975295 - 03/21/17 07:30 PM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: wsu]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Pretty much what everyone else has said, but I will add that your cast is everything (more so than your equipment). A great rod will make a poor caster look OK. A great caster will make a poor rod look amazing. Like Golf, it's hard to unlearn bad technique, so go slowly and get the basics right so you don't have to rebuild anything later. 5 wt. 9' medium action, Cortland 444 WF. Yes, WF. I'd stay away from stiff, fast action rods while you are starting out. It's about line feedback when you are starting out and a medium rod flexes more to transmit said feeling. Also get yourself a metronome and some hula hoops. When practicing in the yard, tie or strap your wrist tight to your rod butt. Do not break your wrist!

Once you put the pieces together and start fishing...learn how to fish without a strike indicator.

#975299 - 03/21/17 08:10 PM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: ]
King of the Beach

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
I always wished for a nice little 3 weight. Then, I'd have the time machine carry me back to a couple of the little creeks we used to fish as younger folk.

$200.00 and a 3wt Loomis IMX emerges from my closet like a graphite hatch and fulfills your wishes..... wink
SF

#975304 - 03/22/17 06:01 AM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: wsu]
King of the Beach

9 footer, 2 pc
I just don't fish trout much anymore, so it needs to find a new home.
SF

#975453 - 03/24/17 03:44 PM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: stonefish]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Originally Posted By: stonefish
Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
I always wished for a nice little 3 weight. Then, I'd have the time machine carry me back to a couple of the little creeks we used to fish as younger folk.

$200.00 and a 3wt Loomis IMX emerges from my closet like a graphite hatch and fulfills your wishes..... wink
Sf

S, watch out! This one is trained in the ways of the graphite

#975558 - 03/26/17 10:06 PM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: wsu]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham
Most definately, don't buy new. Like probably everyone responding, myself included, has gear they haven't used in years(like the populace), and either here/craigslist /ebay, you can get a much better than low end new for even less, and get better gear/whole package. New Reddington(sage) good rods.
...line adds up, and if you find someone with a float and a intermediate/sinktip and spare spool, they're loss is your gain. This forced me to go thru the "drawer" and I found a drawerfull of flylines/many not numbered, so need to figure out wt/let it go.

My first rod was a cortland 6wt as I was told 6wt was a good "do everything" rod. I soon upgraded to a sage 6wtSageDS and better reel and felt the difference(86?). Shortly became trout bum and cruised the rockies and a friend gave me a sage 9ft 4wt.....Still my go to rod and haven't used the 6 but a few occasions.
If you intend to fly/pack a 4 pc rod is handy, and haven't flown in awhile with rod so not sure what current TSA say's about 4.5ft aluminum staff....i'd look for 4pc if you intend to travel. Bottom line....buy a 4/5wt as your first rod.....if you need more go 8-9wt. My 6 still collects dust, but not selling cuz 'I might need it someday....Ha, Tom

#975637 - 03/27/17 10:37 PM Re: Entry level trout rod [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Marry a 5wt so you can appreciate your 3wt mistress.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, steely slammer), 1056 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |