Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127331 - 11/19/01 10:51 PM DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Reel Time Offline
Fry

Loc: Estacada, OR USA
My 16' Koffler has seen many years and had been stored outside in the weather far far too long. I have replaced the bottom coat, the front seats, rower's seat, new rod holders and anchor system. Bruce Koffler was nice enough to give me some new decals for when I get to repainting it. However, I am now in the process of replacing the flooring. I have cut and fastened all the wood. The boat had outdoor carpeting in it when I got it. However, it seemed to trap dirt in. I was wondering if anyone has tried other methods of floor covering. I am also thinking of the stuff they put on decks and patios that has the grit mixed in that I would roll on. Anyone tried this? I'm running out of time before the winter run requires this boat to be in the water. Who has the solution??

#127332 - 11/19/01 11:37 PM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Cracker Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kenmore, Wa, USA
Did my Willie with Marine Vinyl from Cabelas. It
s got a really rough finish and has lasted well so far. Glue it on the wood with contact cement. The roll on stuff does nothing but make a big mess. The previous owner of my boat had used it and it was a b!tch to clean up. Another alternative that I've seen Willie and others start to do is aluminum diamond plate. They use around 1/8th thick stuff and rivet it down on top of the wood. Coho just had his done on his Koffler. I'll go this way next time mine needs to be replaced.

#127333 - 11/20/01 01:26 AM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Nebb Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Forks
I replaced the floor in my Koffler summer before last. I also had a hard time trying to figure out what to use. I thought about the Diamond plate but I didn't want the extra weight in the boat. I decided to use half inch marine plywood. I coated it with a Marine varnish. Right after I had applied the Varnish, I sprinkled some of that sidewalk sand stuff (I forget the name of it) on the wet surface of the varnish. It adhered to it remarkably well. It turned out so good I can hardly believe it and I think it will last a long time...I hope this helps... wink

#127334 - 11/20/01 02:09 AM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.nonslipcoating.com/

Saw this on another bb. It looks like a pretty good product.

fp

#127335 - 11/20/01 02:35 AM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Reel Time Offline
Fry

Where can I get prices on diamond plate sheets? I don't think I've ever seen it for sale anywhere.

FP: That stuff looked great. I've got some outragously different prices on some of that stuff. $20-$200. The cheaper stuff has a silica sand type grit in it. Seems like that would be good enough. Is the expensive stuff that much better?

#127336 - 11/20/01 11:32 AM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
I have a 16ft Koffler and the plywood floor was rotting. I went with Diamond Plate and took it up to Mt.Vernon the name of the company is Petrzelka I talked with John--all I can say is they did me good. I am very happy I went with this route--I wont be ripping the floor out ever again. The phone number is 360.424.8095. They are off the Anderson-I believe.

#127337 - 11/20/01 01:35 PM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Reeltime:

Have a small, 14' sled, needed to replaced the "green capet" that really was a "pain in the ass", dirty, hard to clean, hooks would get caught in it.

Went with the Vinyl from Cabelas:

1. Used stainless steel staples, others will rust in no time.

2. Used a gallon of the vinyl glue.

3. Cut every piece,so that when folded around the under side, there was at least a inch to staple into.

4. Put glue down, then the piece of vinyl, turn over(carefully) and put the staples in....making sure you keep the material tight. Would really help to have the material or the weather warm when you are doing this.

Bottom line---for about $100.00 did the whole boat, any area that I might walk or stand on. Looks, cleans, SUPER!!!!!! 2yrs. now...

Did have to replace some of the plywood--Was going to use Marine Grade plwood but at $50+ a sheet, decided regular 1/2" would do!!!!

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: DrifterWA ]

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#127338 - 11/20/01 02:18 PM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Coho's boat looks great and I think it a good way to go. Exept the cold front that develops in the boat laugh :p

Tight lines

Kevin

#127339 - 11/20/01 06:59 PM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Fishbait Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rivers of OR and SW WA.
I have seen a few DB's with aluminum diamond plate flooring, think it was 1/16 but not sure. Sure would take the wear and tear......

#127340 - 11/20/01 07:23 PM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I used regular 1/2" plywood, a few strips of those 1.5" wide pieces of non-slip tape with grit in it, and then coated the whole floor with about 3 layers of "dip-it". Finally, I secured the plywood to the floor with stainless steel hardware. This wasn't for a driftboat, it was my jonboat. It has held up just fine for the past few months. Total cost was about $60 for the 14' boat I have.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#127341 - 11/20/01 08:39 PM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I'm switching the flooring of both my driftboats over to Diamond Plate. While initially a little more weight than a wood floor ... with lots of exposure, the wood will absorb water (I don't care how much you try to seal it) and end up heavier.

If anyone knows where I can find a good price on a bunch of it ... please let me know ASAP!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#127342 - 11/20/01 09:00 PM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA

Bob, I put diamond plate on my old sled and it worked great. Looks a lot better when I have it cleaned up but it's quite dirty now.

Call Dave Miller at Miller's Smith and Losli 360-533-1771 and talk to Dave. Be prepared it's not cheap. fp

#127343 - 11/21/01 12:26 AM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Reel Time Offline
Fry

Oh man. So many good ideas. That diamond plate is a top contender if it's reasonable. Downside is that it wouldn't be as quiet as the other options. But it would last forever. Thanx everyone.

#127344 - 11/21/01 12:57 AM Re: DRIFT BOAT FLOORING
Cracker Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kenmore, Wa, USA
Everett Steel quoted me $160.00 for enough to do a 16' driftboat floor. My question is this....Did all of you use wood underneath the Aluminum to support the weight, or just Aluminum?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1107 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |