Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127458 - 11/20/01 04:08 PM Depthfinder Question
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I'm looking for a new depth finder for my boat, primarily will be used in saltwater with depths down to 300 or so feet. I've zeroed in on two units in my price range. I'm wondering if any of you own either and what your expeience has been. The first is a Garmin 160 Red unit, priced at $240. The other is an Eagle Accura 240 priced at $310. The Eagle has a better screen and more features, but the Garmin has the features I need also. One thing I'm not clear about: The Garmin says it is rated at 400 watts, 3200 peak to peak, while the Eagle says it is 75 watts RMS, 600 peak to peak. Yet both have similar depth ratings (Eagle 600 or so, Garmin 900 or so) - so what's with the big watt diference? Your comments are appreciated!

#127459 - 11/20/01 05:19 PM Re: Depthfinder Question
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
hi mikec i am by no means an expert on these but have been looking myself for a new one, after talking to alot of people go with the one with more power i also am looking at the garmin i believe its the 240 the one in cabelas catalog for the money the garmin is the best i think you will find, always open for more info doug

#127460 - 11/20/01 06:19 PM Re: Depthfinder Question
chaser Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: marysville,wa
I was in the same dilemma a couple of years ago. I was seriously looking at the lowrance X85 for the power rating and because of its user friendly buttons that made it easier to get to the most often used screens. The Garmin 240 was just being introduced and I settled on it because of the greater pixel count(very important for detail)and the greater power rating. As it was just being put on the market it was also $100 cheaper. Other than initial problems with the transducer, which the company replaced, I have been very pleased with it. I think the garmin 160 you're looking at is essentially the same as the 240 except that it has dual frequency capability, something that I have found is not really needed as mine will read down deeper than I will ever fish and I fish all the saltwater fisheries.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: chaser ]

#127461 - 11/20/01 11:21 PM Re: Depthfinder Question
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I have the Eagle Accura and it works fine for everything I fish, which includes rivers, lakes, and Puget Sound. Marks fish well in the Sound to at least 160 feet.

#127462 - 11/21/01 12:00 AM Re: Depthfinder Question
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
All things considered, I would go with the Garmin 160 blue, basically a 160 red with a 50/200 khz transducer as opposed to just the single 200 khz frequency, if you want to get the most out of a fish finder get a dual frequency and learn how to use both frequency's, you'll catch more fish.
I would also consider the Garmin just as easy if not easier to use then any similar unit on the market.
Just my .02 worth, good fishin.

#127463 - 11/21/01 12:15 AM Re: Depthfinder Question
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
AKKings,

When would you use the 50khz vs. the 200 khz? Is the 50 khz for more detail at more shallow depths? Just curious on any comments you have.

#127464 - 11/21/01 12:48 AM Re: Depthfinder Question
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Kore, I've been using a Furuno FCV582 color finder which is a little out of the Garmin league, but as with the Garmin it has both 50/200 khz frequencies and I "always" use the split screen feature. I cannot tell you how many times fish and or bait as well as thermoclines will show up on 1 frequency but not the other. Alot of guys like the wide angle view as it covers more water and "usually" shows more fish, what they are missing though is the fish and bait that is on or near the bottom that will show up alot better on the narrow beam.
Another mistake I commonly see is guys using auto features on there finders, learn how to adjust the settings and you can dial a machine in much better then the auto settings can. Hope this helps a little. laugh

#127465 - 11/21/01 11:53 AM Re: Depthfinder Question
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
AKKings,
Can you explain the other variable which I don't quite understand - the big difference in watt power between the two units? 75 watts RMS vrs 400 watts RMS seems like a big difference.
SilverHilton,
Does your unit mark the bottom OK below 160 feet in saltwater?
Thanks for the help everyone!

#127466 - 11/21/01 01:23 PM Re: Depthfinder Question
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Power also plays an important role. The more power the better the echo detail. The better the echo detail the better the ability to read and understand exactly whats under you. I did alot of comparison shopping when I upgraded and went with a Bottomline tourney master. Pricy but I can see a pt wilson dart go up and down at 150 ft of water. Even if Im jigging it only 6 or so inches up and down. I can distinguish how dence the balls are and easily read the bottom at cruising speed. And still see all detail. This is very imortant when searching for bait! I also had both transducers and used them both! You can actually use 3 with this unit. Im not saying to go spend the money but I think screen size, readability and power are the main concerns. The down fall to the Bottomlines is the contrast sometimes cant be adjusted to clearly see the screen due to sun rays ect. And Like AK said! "never use auto mode". Turn the gains up pretty high to start. I used to run mine all the way up. Some people turn them down till they cant see anything and never know whats really under them.

Bob D

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |