Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132660 - 12/26/01 09:24 PM Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
ak_floater Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton, WA
I need a new kicker for my 17' Wooldridge. I do a lot of back bouncing and free drifting. How do you like the Yamaha gear shift on the handle? I find shifting a Mercury hard on the wrist after a day of fishing.

#132661 - 12/26/01 10:56 PM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I have the Yamaha 10 horse, with the gear shift on the handle, and it is GREAT. The shift is smooth, has good action, is easy to reach, and is postive in action. The engine runs smooth and has been reliable thus far, though it's only 3 months old.

I generally like the Yamaha overall, though it's a bit cold blooded. It takes it about 5 to 10 miniutes of backtrolling before it's really warmed up. Though it always starts and runs, including this morning, when it was a frosty 29 degrees when the boat hit the water. It's smooth running and queit, like most 4 strokes, and trolls down pretty well. I wish I had gotten the 8 horse, however, as the 10 horse sometimes is just a bit too much in real slow water. That's when the shift handle gets a lot of use, shifting in and out of gear.

#132662 - 12/26/01 11:54 PM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I have a 15 HP Yamaha four stroke. What a great motor. Mine does not have the shifter on the handle though. The shifter is next to the hanndle which, I have found, to be a little cumbersome at times. I will sometimes shift to hard and throw the motor from forward to reverse when I meant to go from forward to neutral. eek
You ask most guys that are in the know about motors now days and they will tell you to get a Yamaha. Heck, even the guys at Olympic Boat Center told me to get a Yamaha (all they sell are Mercury's). wink

#132663 - 12/27/01 12:13 AM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
On some of the kicker size motors, I believe Yamaha and Mercury are using the same powerhead. I believe Yamaha is the supplier.

#132664 - 12/27/01 01:19 PM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
AK -

I have the Yamaha T8 4 stroke, electric start, with the powere tilt/trim. This is a great little motor. The shift on the handle is ideal for how I like to fish. I had a Merc handle shift before and liked it, but overall would probably choose the way Yamaha has done it, all things being equal. I like the positiveness of it. I have had wrist fatigue in certain situations with the Merc before. The 8hp powers way down which should help reduce the need to be kicking it out of gear frequently while in slack water.

Runs smooth and quiet, is cold blooded for the first couple of minutes (my buddy has the Merc 9.9 4 stroke and his has the same coldbloodedness) and starts great.

Good luck.

#132665 - 12/28/01 10:49 AM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
I would give a big thumbs up for Yamaha 8hp. I have the 8hp High Thrust with electric start, trim & tilt and the shifter on the handle, I would not trade it for any other motor. The High Thrust has the thrust of a 25hp and can get you out of trouble real fast if you need to. smile

#132666 - 01/08/02 05:20 PM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
if you already have an anchor for your boat don't buy a merc you'll wanna pitch it in the river, yamaha or suzuki are the only way go

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#132667 - 01/08/02 06:07 PM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
From being in the marine repair biz for almost 20 years, the yamaha and suzuki are fine. But when it breaks or corrodes(suzuki) you will cry when you find out how much it is to repair it. More merc dealers also.Yes yamaha and merc share the same powerhead on some models. I would stay with the merc myself. laugh

#132668 - 01/08/02 06:36 PM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
TJN Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tulalip, Wa
If you're a boondogger you are constantly tilting the kicker to run back upstream with the main engine. The Merc allows you to tilt both up and down with one hand. Yamaha's require you to lean way out over the transom to lock the kicker up.
I prefer Yamaha's 9.9 four-stroke in a strict trolling application where you seldom tilt the kicker, but you can't beat the Merc on the crick.
The one-hand tilt feature is huge because it allows you to tilt the kicker and fish at the same time.
Bottom line: The Pro's run Merc's for a reason...
Good Luck, TJN

#132669 - 01/08/02 09:21 PM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
Grass Hopper Offline
Smolt

Loc: Woodinville,Wa
Merc doesn't make an 8 h.p. 4 stroke only a 9.9. In the 8 h.p. 2 stroke i like the merc 5 stage tilt adjust for trolling shallow water. Merc and Yamaha share the same powerhead on all four strokes with exception of the 50 h.p. model. Yamaha powerhead and mercury leg. Shop price and service. 2 stroke 8 h.p. merc $1499 @ dougs boats in woodinville.

#132670 - 01/08/02 09:51 PM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Of course you could always go down the street to 3 creeks marine.But shop around. :p

#132671 - 01/08/02 10:20 PM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
TJN,

I can tilt my Yamaha 8 hp with one finger, lets see the Merc beat that. I don't have to lean over at all and could literally have a 5 year old do it. Power T/T all the way. And yes, I do alot of boondoggin with it.

#132672 - 01/09/02 02:33 AM Re: Yamaha 8hp vs Mercury 8hp for a kicker
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I can also say the dudes at 3 Rivers rock...when you stop in, just ask for Bryan.

BTW-I think they've got Doug's beat on the kicker price as the last time I was in there (looking at driftboats but b.s.ing about sleds) I was told their 2-stroke 8 hp longshaft Merc runs like $1450.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |