THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133135 - 01/01/02 09:18 PM Corsair Keeper?
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
For Christmas, Santa brought me a Shimano Corsair 400A....very pretty in gold ( matches my earrings ). Someone I know has an older, silver Corsair, I don't know the model, but it's been trouble since the get-go. I just noticed that that older model was seized up after being in storage for a year or so.
What I'm wondering is.....do I keep the 400A or do I return it and get a better reel? It will be used heavily in the saltwater for salmon. I especially like to cast Buzz Bombs, so the ability to cast without problems is important.
Thanks in advance. Diana

#133136 - 01/01/02 09:33 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
dawhunt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washougal
Those gold reels were made to replace the silver ones, there was alot of proplems with the silver ones.There's also some proplems with the gold ones,I took both of my gold ones back and got ambassador's instead.They would go into free wheeling without any warning and you couldn't reel your fish in.cost me a springer last April. frown
Bob

#133137 - 01/01/02 09:53 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Bob. Take back the Corsair and get an Ambassadeur 6500 or put another $35 and go with the Shimano Catala. Can't figure out why Shimano can't get it right with the Corsair. I took two of them back also.
Good Luck

#133138 - 01/01/02 11:30 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
I have to agree with Stew and Bob, the Corsairs are junk. Go with an ambassaduer or Calcutta for our in the salt. I have a Corsair 401A and hate it, also have a garage full of ambassaduers and they are very durable and easy to repair if anything does go wrong. which it rarely does.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Firedog ]

#133139 - 01/01/02 11:44 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well, here I am, 2 hours after the initial post, and my schedule for tomorrow now has "Return Reel" added to it.
I used 6500's for my driftboat plug rods for years. I want to go a step above that now. I was taken with the looks of the Calcutta, but wasn't that the one that runs about $250-300? Apparently, Santa didn't think I was *THAT* nice of a girl this year.

Also, what I'd really like is a reel that is suitable for saltwater, but still light enough for steelhead. Santa said the Calcutta would probably get ruined in saltwater. Hmmmm....Penn International?
Thanks again.....especially the part about the "free-wheeling"......now I remember using that rod/reel out silver fishing a couple years ago. It did EXACTLY that....free-wheeled unexpectedly. It acted like the gears couldn't engage. THAT was why it was set aside for so long.
Diana

#133140 - 01/02/02 01:44 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
My buddie has the silver corsair. ITS HORRIBLE!
tyler

#133141 - 01/02/02 03:04 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
According to the guys at Ollie Damon, the suitability of a light casting reel for salt water is inversely proportional to the number of ball bearings in the reel. Those bearings are very susceptible to salt water corrosion. The Penn reels have mainly bushings for that reason, the Calcuttas have 2 ball and 1 roller bearing. The more exotic freshwater baitcasters (including the Shimano Curados and Quantum PR600s) have even more bearings and should be avoided for salt water use (according to Ollie Damon again).

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#133142 - 01/02/02 06:39 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
Corsair must be some form of dialect that translates in the BIGGEST PIECE OF **** THIS SIDE OF TOKYO.

I've taken 2 back, back to back, myself. Just free wheelin' pieces of ****to.

Get an ambassadeur. 6500 for the salt so you can have more line capacity. Should be $79.95 at Kmart.

All reels suck after salt abuse if not properly lubed. Rinse with fresh water, then lube.

May I be excused now? I have to go take a Corsair. Must be my diet.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#133143 - 01/02/02 08:26 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well, the Corsair is a goner now. I looked at the Calcutta....it was $225. Hmmm.....I *do* have a birthday coming up in 4 days. Maybe I'll go sit on Santas' knee and tell him what I want for my birthday.

heh heh heh.....good one about the Corsair Constitutional...heh heh heh

That's good information about the bearings/bushings relationship. I always knew there was something about salt/freshwater reel construction that I didn't know. The few times I have taken a good freshwater reel to the coast, I have always rinsed it well afterward. But "LUBE"? Huh? Wazzat? Isn't that what women keep men around for?
diana

#133144 - 01/02/02 08:46 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Diana, if I were you and going to use the reel mainly in the saltwater I would opt for a Penn International 975, 965 or something like that. They are passable baitcasters and (I think) still mainly use bushings instead of ball-bearings. World-class drags too.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#133145 - 01/02/02 09:21 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
$225 for a Calcutta, you may want to shop elsewhere for fishing gear, that place is hosing you.

#133146 - 01/04/02 09:11 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Yeah, I still have my Corsair. The silver one. It is crap. I don't use it anymore. It has "free wheeled" on me more than once, luckily not on a fish though. It's also a real sucker for birdcages! What do you guys suggest I do with this reel since I lost the receipt and the warranty of one year I believe is long gone anyway. confused

#133147 - 01/05/02 10:19 AM Re: Corsair Keeper?
fishinut Offline
Eyed Egg

Shimano has a recall on the sliver corsairs, so go to your local sporting goods store that carry shimano's and turn in that reel. you dont need a box, or reciept. good luck

#133148 - 01/05/02 01:08 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
Kitsap sports in silverdale sells Calcuttas 250 for $169. Calcutta 400 for $199. I think that these prices are right. If you want to call
360-698-4808 to make sure I am right that is their number. Hope that helps. laugh Oh, happy premature birthday.

#133149 - 01/05/02 03:32 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I'm still trying to decide which way to go on the reels. I've been out of the steelhead thing for a few years and have been out more this year so far than I have been out in the last 6 years combined. That looks like it may be changing, tho.
Last time I launched my boat in the Bogey, at 4 a.m., I was number 32 in line. That made me hang up the oars for good. But I still have the boat and have been beating the beach this season....sorry, I'm blathering.
I don't know if I'm going to steelhead enough to justify that much cash for a specialty reel.
Buuuut, if I got the Penn, I can use that for both steelhead and salmon ( which I do alot of ).
Sooooo.....Bass Pro has the Penn with, and without the level-wind bar. I'd think that without the bar, it would be a better casting reel. I'd buy an extra spool so I can put dacron line on for salmon.
Anybody see any flaws in my thinking? Will the dacron pile up and cut into itself without the level wind bar?
Thanks for your input.
And thank you for the birthday wishes. Personally, I think cakes are getting smaller than they used to be. There used to be a whole lot more room for my candles. Kinda like my blue jeans.....

#133150 - 01/05/02 11:58 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by Krome Brite:
What do you guys suggest I do with this reel since I lost the receipt and the warranty of one year I believe is long gone anyway. confused

Just send it back to Shimano. They are an absolutely excellent company to deal with and that one year warranty is just a guideline as I have sent back 5 y.o reels that have been used and abused and they replace them at no charge.

The adress is
Shimano of America
One Holland Drive
Irvine, Ca (I always forget the zip)

#133151 - 01/06/02 12:00 AM Re: Corsair Keeper?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by Diana:
But "LUBE"? Huh? Wazzat? Isn't that what women keep men around for?
diana

Nope...that is what men keep around when they dont have a women.

#133152 - 01/06/02 12:15 AM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you're going to sit on Santa's lap again well just nibble on his ear and whisper the words Curado 201 BSF and Ambassedor 6500. Spool of 12 pd Maxima UG and 50 pd Proline. Your set for both fresh and salt and everyone will be the happier for it. Cost about the same as that $225 Calcutta. Such an easy decision for Santa.

Gooose laugh

#133153 - 01/06/02 11:35 AM Re: Corsair Keeper?
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

There are at LEAST 3 6500's downstairs already. So that base is covered. That's the pluggin' reels.
There are 2 Shimano Black Bantams, that are currently in use for baitcasting....so they're already similar to the Curado, aren't they?

I want one of those gold-anodized earring-matching fish catching-gizmos that cost an arm and a leg. Isn't fish-catching ability proportionate to debt accrued? I always though so....we catch way more fish after making painments on that 22 footer sitting in the driveway.

Besides...it's my birthday, dammit.

heh heh heh ... good one, P.
:p diana

#133154 - 01/06/02 10:06 PM Re: Corsair Keeper?
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
I would get the Calcutta 400 or the new Calcutta
TE 300 or 400. The Calcuttas that are below 300 are not good Salt Water reels. I have friends that
had problems with the smaller ones fishing Salt
Water. I have used the 400 and 700 for years of
frequent fishing and have never had a problem. I
have caught 100's of fish without a mechanical
failure. Wash it down after use in Salt water and
Lube it when needed without excess and you to can
have aa reel that will last for year's. I keep all
my reels in a reel case when they are not in use.
Be sure to by a new one. Good fishing.. wink

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |