Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134962 - 01/13/02 03:07 AM Sergio "re-grip" Garcia
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I know there's quite a few golfers on this board, I've got a question. What is up with the flashy young Spaniard? I realize he's a "feel" type player, but my goodness, he's wearing me out with those re-grips! I don't remember when he started getting hung up with this idiosyncrasy, is there a cure? If not, by the time he's thirty he'll run out of daylight before he can get 18 holes in. Got to admit he's playing some great golf right now, but if he doesn't knock it off I'm putting him on my "all-nerves team." He's gonna be right next to Nomar Garrciapara (sp?) and his 29 point check list before he'll step into the box! laugh laugh

#134963 - 01/13/02 03:40 AM Re: Sergio "re-grip" Garcia
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Don't think it will ever catch on at the public links. Most of the seniors I play with would fall over if they tried to address the ball and waggle the golfclub for that long. The younger golfers would rather hit the ball, run after it, and hit it again before it stops rolling. Nope, I think it's just Sergio's way of icing his opponent...like a pitcher stalling on the mound, or a coach calling time-out before a free throw.

#134964 - 01/13/02 11:19 AM Re: Sergio "re-grip" Garcia
chrome/22 Offline

Icing, well I didn't think of that. Guess my mental side of the game needs as much work as my fairway driver :p

#134965 - 01/13/02 03:40 PM Re: Sergio "re-grip" Garcia
goforchrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: sammamish WA
His address/waggle/re-grip is so tedious! But He is hot and whatever it takes to stay there....
I will give you the update after this coming weekend...The wife and I are going to Palm Springs for the long weekend and have tickets to the Bob Hope for Saturday.
Watch for me on TV! laugh

#134966 - 01/13/02 10:26 PM Re: Sergio "re-grip" Garcia
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Did you catch the Grip-o-meter that they put up last week at Kapalua? Counted 25 re-grips on one approach shot.

Check out the discussion at the newsgroup rec.sports.gofl for further commentary and dissection. I think I could summarize the common feeling as, if he was in the group in front of you here in the NW, he wouldn't live through 9 holes.

That said, he sure is kicking bootie lately.

#134967 - 01/14/02 01:29 AM Re: Sergio "re-grip" Garcia
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cedar, I think you are right on. Along with Sergio's hot play he has 'gamesmanship' as they like to call it (psyching, distracting, and even trash talking the opponent). If you don't think it happens at the PGA level you should listen nearby at one of the tournaments. It's just not loud or obvious, as in the NBA for example. And Sergio comes from Spain where his fellow countryman, golfing great Seve Balesteros, is considered the best distractive 'gamesman' among PGA players.

As for recreational golf, that is full of this kind of stuff of course. My teenage son and I always have talked trash during basketball play. It has carried over to the golf course. I think it makes for a more fun game of golf - within reason. No 'accidently' dropping your bag of clubs during an important tee shot backswing like my friend Mike Kelly does ocassionally (not the guide MK). Otherwise it's fun. smile

RT

#134968 - 01/14/02 10:14 PM Re: Sergio "re-grip" Garcia
chrome/22 Offline

OK maybe, I can see where that waggleing might work on an opponents mind in the tee box. But on the second or third shot they're going to be from 20-80 yards apart, and with sergio's length most likely he is hitting last. So the other guys hit and he is sizing up HIS lie not worring about what "ol serg" is up to. Bottom line, I think the kid is thinking too much. wink

#134969 - 01/15/02 08:31 AM Re: Sergio "re-grip" Garcia
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
Could you imagine a pre-casting routine like that? ...oh yeah, its called fly-fishing...

#134970 - 01/15/02 10:58 AM Re: Sergio "re-grip" Garcia
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Good one Randy

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |