Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146815 - 03/26/02 03:44 PM Brooks River, Alaska
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
I have an opportunity to fish the Brooks River at the end of June. I've read the literature from the lodge, but I hope I can get some advice from some of you who have been there.

I understand that I might expect rainbows, grayling and sockeye, but the info on the river is not very in-depth.

Is the river fast and shallow? Slow and deep?

Is it a top water deal for the rainbows? If not, is a long leader on a floater adequate, or what sort of sink tips are effective? I have an 8 wt, a 6 wt. and a 4 wt.

How about the correct sink-tip(s) for sockeye? Or again, is a long leader on a floater effective?

What patterns in what sizes have you found to be effective for rainbow? for sockeye?

We also have a fly-out, what are the options you've had fun with? Would like to go for kings if they are running somewhere within range. Otherwise, big rainbows get my blood up.

Lots of questions, but any comments from personal experience would be greatly apprecieated. If you like you could e-mail me. tdodge@rhhk.com. Thank you in advance for any help you could lend.

#146816 - 03/26/02 05:19 PM Re: Brooks River, Alaska
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I haven't been to the Brooks, but have been to several other rivers in the area. My understanding is that the Brooks isn't that big a river. I have almost always used dry lines for rainbows, usually with egg patterns. I use about a 9 ft leader, and split shot ahead of the fly. However, you will be there before the egg laying is happening, so you'll most likely want to be ready to fish egg sucking leeches, sculpins, smolt imitations, and standard dry flies. I have done well on mice on other rivers, but, again, always later in the year. I'd plan on a sink tip line and streamer fishing, and maybe you'll get lucky and they'll look up.

If you tie flies, Alaska can be a great excuse to tie up some wild creations, because the fish can be pretty aggressive. I have a pattern that has a purple tail, a ball of orange chenille at the butt, purple chenille body, black plamered hackle, white rubber legs, and a gold tungsten cone head. That would be your one eyed egg sh*tting, rubber legged, cone headed leech. wink

For the sockeyes, I use nymphing techniques with small sparse steelhead like flies. You can use either a floater or sinker line. The key is get the fly down to the fish.

You should get Tony Route's book, Flyfishing Alaska. Also, check out http://www.akflyfishers.org/ Under the news and articles section is a story I wrote about fishing the Alagnak, which is very close to the Brooks. See also my site at www.oz.net/~andrewb/home2001.htm for another story on fishing up there. Also some pictures of some minor fish.

If you like, I've got a spreadsheet with a gear list that I could send you that has a list of tackle that works well. E-mail me at andrewbr@attbi.com if you want a copy. Hope this helps.

#146817 - 03/26/02 06:16 PM Re: Brooks River, Alaska
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Brooks River eh, doubt you'll see any bears there. rolleyes As you are probably aware, Brooks Falls is one of the two best carnivore viewing areas up there.

As far as gear goes, I would bring a 6wgt, an 8wgt, and a 12 guage. I've fished close by there, and like Andrew commented, alot of different, goofy flies will work. Bring egg sucking leeches in black and purple. Bring lots of them or, preferably, the gear to tie more in case you run out.

Might be a little early, but alot of the guide outfits around there run pegged beads also. I would come prepared to try that.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish Lady, onthefly, overkill45
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 321 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |