Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134735 - 01/11/02 11:21 PM lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
I am thinking about buying a 16 foot drift boat with no motor. Is my understanding correct that
non-motorized boats need no lisencing or registering in Washington state??

However the trailer needs to be lisenced correct?

#134736 - 01/11/02 11:36 PM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I don't think you need to register the boat as long as you don't use an internal combustion engine, the trailer does have to have a license plate and tabs though.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#134737 - 01/11/02 11:43 PM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Interpreted from the Washington Boater's Guide-

Boats 16' and above need a license, motorized or not.
I just bought a 14' boat last year with no motor and had to license it because it had a max horsepower capacity of 35. If your boat is smaller than 16' with a maximum hp capacity that is less than 10hp you do not have to license it. A 10hp motor is the cut-off on any size boat.

Check the Coast Gaurd tag on the transom.

Hope this helps! smile

#134738 - 01/12/02 12:26 AM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
Check with the Washington State DOL. All boats,
any size,that have any type of motor, and are used
on any water that is patroled must be registered.

I had too register my 14' drift boat inorder to
use my electric motor.

Cigar mad mad

#134739 - 01/12/02 01:23 AM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Cigar, I had a 12' fiberglass boat, two years ago, that had a max hp rating of 10hp and it did not have to be registered.
Both the boat length and hp rating were under the requirment for registration at the time. smile

I wonder if the laws have changed due to I-695??

Maybe the state is trying to nail every boat for some excise tax now, no matter what the size.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Carl Costenbader ]

#134740 - 01/12/02 01:50 AM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

On the lower Snohomish they were ticketing guys a few years ago, reason was it was "navigable" waters. Must have pretty confusing regs on this.

#134741 - 01/12/02 03:02 AM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA

#134742 - 01/12/02 02:41 PM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Also anything put in the salt even a canoe has to be loicensed.Something about being fedral waters or some such nonsence. mad

#134743 - 01/13/02 01:59 AM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Rob-
What you have regarding motors is correct. If you not going to use any form of a motor on the boat that you do not need to register it, just the trailer. I can guarentee you that is the law...

But I thought you wanted to put a kicker on there for backtrolling plugs... wink

#134744 - 01/13/02 02:03 AM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

It all depends on what the COAST GAURD tag says on the transom. As soon as you purchase a boat (new) they will have the appropriate paper work ready for you to fill out.

Check the transom tag!

#134745 - 01/13/02 08:27 AM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
ynotfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: goldbar,wa
when i bought a 9.9 for my 12 foot aluminum last year i called whitfields in monroe and they told me i didnt need license or registration, then while humpy fishing on snohomish in 2001 the gamies stopped me and asked why it wasnt registered so i told em what whitfield said and that was that no prob
mike

#134746 - 01/13/02 10:17 AM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Take a look at every driftboat you see in the river. If we all had them registered, we'd have those big ugly number/letter stickers plastered on the bows.
All the driftboats now have a transom rating on them. It should be on the metal plate that says what the passanger maximum is. If the boat is 16 feet or larger, AND you put the motor on it, you have to have it registered. Adding the motor is key to the requirement.
If you're still *really* unsure, take the boat and the motor to a USCG station and they'll make it perfectly clear ( heh heh heh ).
I'd take a copy of those regs listed above, and if someone tried to tell you that you have to register it, I'd ask them to point out which line says it's required, because a driftboat is not required to be, period.
diana
Good fishing

#134747 - 01/13/02 12:53 PM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Big Al Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
I just bought a 12' jonboat in Dec. It has a max 10hp. I had to register it with the state, but as long as I dont put an internal combustion engine on it, there is no need to licence it each year, which is what the colored stickers are for.

#134748 - 01/14/02 12:21 AM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
fishingtoo Offline
Juvenille at Sea

It looks like to me you got all the advice you need on whether to register or not. But a quick tip in case you or others do put the registration
numbers on your boat: You have to leave a space between the letters and the numbers.
i.e. WA 984222 IX, NOT: WA984222IX. I know this sounds incredibly petty, but I had a full boat inspection on the water by the Coast Guard last year while fishing near Neah Bay. They actually showed me the state regs requiring the space, then wrote me a warning ticket for it. I was just a random inspection that day and everything else in my boat was perfect, plus I was fully cooperative so they had no reason to get nit-picky. To this day I can't believe they would be that petty. They even told me they keep a record of the warning citation & should I be checked again and it wasn't corrected I would get a full citation! I was glad the CG was out there working to ensure mine & others safety, but it sure seems they have better things to enforce than registration spaces.

#134749 - 01/14/02 09:57 AM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The USCG is nit-picky in Neah Bay because so much dope from Canada is coming over by boats. If you are 'importing' and they talk to you long enough, you'll start acting suspicious. They're just looking out for our children. And a few goofey fisherman.
diana smile

#134750 - 01/14/02 03:30 PM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
ynotfish, your boat needs a license. EVERY boat with ANY kind of propulsion other than human needs a license except yacht tenders with less than 10hp. At least that is how I read it.

#134751 - 01/14/02 05:14 PM Re: lisencing?registering a boat in WA
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

You want right-from-the-horses-mouth-answers? Pay eight bucks and go to the BOAT SHOW! laugh There will be tons of boating info for you there. The Coast Gaurd usually has a booth with lots of helpful info.

See Ya There. cool

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |