Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136230 - 01/19/02 08:52 PM "Super tuning" your reels. ABU 6500C3
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I read an interesting article in Field and Stream about super tuning reels. Anybody know where I can get parts for my 6500 C3 to perform some upgrades, locally? The article mentioned such things as changinging the gear ratio, high performance oils and specialized drag washers.

There is apparently there is a little known sport of distance casting where folks cast a 5 oz. weight as far as 300 yards. I've come close to that a few times, but my line wasn't attached to the weight. wink

My reel doesn't cast as far as it did when brand new so I think I'll take on the project. Anything I should watch out for, such as flying springs, etc?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#136231 - 01/19/02 11:11 PM Re: "Super tuning" your reels. ABU 6500C3
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
that would be an interesting article to read. what issue of F&S was that in?

#136232 - 01/19/02 11:20 PM Re: "Super tuning" your reels. ABU 6500C3
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would first have a good schematic print of how that thing goes back together before you even open it up. Some things do go SPROING! when you least expect it. There are several levels of gearing that must go back together exact. If you are mechanically inclined no problem, just get a print first.

You mentioned that your reel dosen't cast as far as it did when you first purchased it. Changing the gear retrive ratio will not make it cast longer distances. The only thing that can make it do that is to insure that you have the proper amount of line loaded on the spool. How much line you have lost over the year due to break off could be part of the problem or not loading the spool completely initally. Although a good lube of the gearing will help smooth the retrive lubing the drag washer in Abu Garcia bait casting reels is Not Recommended by the manufacture.

Here is a link, click on tips and select bait casting reel tips.

http://www.abu-garcia.com/home.cfm

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: SkaGuy ]

#136233 - 01/20/02 12:24 AM Re: "Super tuning" your reels. ABU 6500C3
MikeT Offline
Alevin

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Here's some sources of aftermarket parts for distance casting, and some Abu reels that aren't generally distributed in the US (but are popular in Europe and Australia). Both shops sell the Abu Pro Rocket and Mag Elite reels. Hatteras Outfitters also has some customized reels that are only available through them (e.g., custom colors or chrome plated 6500 with distance casting upgrades). These shops cater to competition casters and beach fishermen:

http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/
Good selection of high performance reels and customized reels, as well as bearing, gear, brake blocks, and drag upgrade kits. Also sells special high performance reel oils.

http://lgf.sea-angler.org/index.html
This is an online tackle dealer in Australia. He sells the standard Abu reels but also carries some great stuff not distributed in the US. I've bought several reels from the guy and he's great to deal with. If you're interested in a high performance 5500 or 6500, and want something none of your buddies have, check out the Pro Rockets and Mag Elites. Notice the old style side plates and spool tension adjustment knob. Steve will also do upgrades on the reels for a small charge (e.g., high speed gears, stainless steel gears, special drag washers, special bearings).

Keep in mind that these shops are selling reels to guys that want maximum casting distance. Some of the reels (e.g., the CT versions) aren't suitable for drift or float fishing.

MikeT

#136234 - 01/20/02 02:10 AM Re: "Super tuning" your reels. ABU 6500C3
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

The F&S issue is February 2002 beginning on page 23.

Ska,

They mentioned to have a good schematic and that the mechanically UN-inclined need not do this on their own, so thanks for backing up that advice.

The gear ratio issue would be for quicker retrieves, and I know the bearings, along with other components, determine the casting range, but others may not know that either, so thanks for pointing that out. I just thought other folks might like to know that it is possible to speed it up to a 6.3:1 or slow it down to a 3.8:1 depending upon the conditions you were fishing in. Kind of like dropping in a different rearend on your musclecar or tow vehicle.

I'm mainly interested in the scope of the job because the cover has yet to be taken off this reel in 7 years after fishing salt and fresh water, fighting over 500 fish. I think it may be gummed up a bit, and because it was a wedding present from the wife, replacement is not an option, but upgrades are.

I am also interested in finding out if anyone has performed such an upgrade on their own reel.

Andy

#136235 - 01/20/02 08:39 AM Re: "Super tuning" your reels. ABU 6500C3
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
hi dogfish. i got 6500 parts. lots of them. i'm down on the quinalt plunkin away till monday, but give me a call.

the recidivist

#136236 - 01/20/02 04:14 PM Re: "Super tuning" your reels. ABU 6500C3
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Has anyone out there tried toothpaste in their reels? I'm not kidding.

I've heard of people putting toothpaste on the gears in a new reel to make them seat a little better and take the burrs off, then they wash the toothpaste out, oil it up, and put it back together. Anyone on here actually done it themselves?

-N.

#136237 - 01/20/02 04:20 PM Re: "Super tuning" your reels. ABU 6500C3
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Bardo,

Will do. I even have my own skateboard.

#136238 - 01/21/02 12:18 AM Re: "Super tuning" your reels. ABU 6500C3
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dogfish,
That reel is long over due for a peek under the hood. I just finished up a Quantum reel about a week ago, however it only got a clean out and a lube. Two of the main bearings and two springs were less than desirable though they made it to middle of this month. I am in The Marketfor a new reel which I hope to pick up by the end of the month. I have done quite a lot of research on the Abu Garcias and I find them quite impressive gear wise. However I am looking for a reel that is able to cast light offerings, have a quick retrive ratio and still hold an ample supply of line. Interchangeable spools and brass gearing would be a bouns also.
I was looking into the Curado line but when I had a hands on session with one I wasn't to impressed with the finish styling of the body. It seems for the money Shimano could at least clean up some of the casting details on the body assembly.

I have looked at many reels both on the internet and in stores and I may have found one. The Daiwa S103HSDL series seems to have all the features that I am looking for. Fast retrive, full spool disengagement, interchangeable spools, lots of magnets and more ball bearings than a skateboard. It is rated as a heavy freshwater, medium saltwater reel. I do not plan on using it in the salt though as that was the demise of the afore mentioned Quantum. Pricing is right and the finished work shows attention to detail.

As this purchase is going to be my birthday gift to me from my wife it too will carry sentimental value. I understand what you are saying about wanting to upgrade your Garcia. I have come across some sites on the internet during my research regarding what you are trying to do and if I can navigate my way back to them I will send them to you in an e-mail if you would like.
smile

#136239 - 01/21/02 09:26 AM Re: "Super tuning" your reels. ABU 6500C3
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
skaguy, you might consider a shimano calais, or chronarch . they cast really nice. ive got one you can try if you are interested.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |