LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156244 - 07/31/02 11:24 AM Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
Any one else notice the general lack of kings and coho in areas 9/10 of Puget Sound so far this year. Usually by August 1st, the king run has peaked and the traditional spots such as Jeff Head, Port Madison and West Point are kicking out lots of hatchery silvers. This year has generally been a bust for me, and judging from the lack of boats and deployed nets I'm seeing on the water, for many others as well.

What are others thoughts? Is the best yet to come, or are we just looking at weak Puget Sound runs this year?

#156245 - 07/31/02 11:30 AM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
The runs all seem to be late this year. Why I don't know. I still think that they coming and it should be very soon.

#156246 - 07/31/02 01:13 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
Here is a thought, so far all of the runs seem to be coming in 2-3 weeks late...if this holds true, then there will be many fish coming in after or later than the 'traditional' times and therefore, perhaps, less caught this year. So far the runs that have come in, i.e. Columbia, runs in BC etc, have not shown a drop in numbers. Even the Sockeye fishery in Lake W. was better than expected. I just think that we will have to adjust this year.

#156247 - 07/31/02 01:37 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

I agree.. I think that they are just running a little late this year. Seems just about everything has. From down on the Columbia to the Sockeye's late surge. Remember all the nay Sayers saying no way will there be a Sockeye fishery this year. Maybe it has something to do with the El~Nino brewing out in the Big Blue?? Whatever it is these fish out in the salt are really testing my fishing confidence..... Hit the Bubble every weekend since the opener and managed one keeper and a couple shakers rolleyes rolleyes

Not exactly making me feel like I now what the heck I am doing out there. The only thing is that I haven't seen anyone else really doing anything..... I did get to see the 34# caught out in the Bubble the second weekend though right next to my boat.....Just got me that much more fired up.... cool cool

Here fishy...fishy

#156248 - 07/31/02 01:42 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho
I talked to a few old timers and they said even the great runs of the past did this on years when the El Nino was approaching (though it wasnt known what it was way back when). And I noticed the same thing growing up when it came to the steelhead runs in Eastern Washington.

Just a thought maybe someone out there has a knowledgable biologist friend or scientist to verify because if we knew maybe then we could plan better for future fishing.

#156249 - 07/31/02 04:23 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
I think we're running a little late this year... One possibility may be the amount of bait out off the coast... Lots of bait last couple of weeks.....

The thing that scares me with late fish- rain.
Get a fresh batch of fish in, next day it rains and then it's upstream- hasta'

As far as El Nino.... It is generally the year after it is identified that runs are late.. that would be next year. Reason being... the warmer water is just starting it's push North. If it gets to where we are getting sailfish off westport and pelicans off Bainbridge Island again-we're screwed!

On a final note, quite a few fish at the Minter hatchery already. I counted approx 30 bright ones right below the ladder this morning. Tons of biggins jumping and splashing off the Purdy spit just east of the bridge

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#156250 - 07/31/02 04:49 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Not sure if this will confuse the issue more, I just thought it was interesting. This was sent to me by a professor at UW.

It's a sea surface temperature satellite shot, it's a composite image for July 1-15, 2002. The blues are around 12-13 C (54-56 F) while the yellow/orange areas indicate temps around 15-17C (59-62 F).

-N.

#156251 - 07/31/02 04:56 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Most fishers I've spoken with think the run is late but I'm getting a gut feeling the summer kings may not show up. I think our managers need to start considering an emergency closure for the last two Elliot Bay openers if catch rates don't dramatically improve this weekend. A good indicator is action off the fishing piers and they have sucked. I have never seen action this slow. Only 1 king landed off Edmonds this morning and it's Aug 1st tomorrow. I really hope I'm wrong about this.

#156252 - 07/31/02 05:10 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Hmm.. Interesting... It gets colder near the caps, and warmer near the equater!!! eek eek laugh

#156253 - 07/31/02 05:29 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
Man, the resources on this board never cease to amaze me - The sea temperature picture is great. I gotta say I tend to agree with Hohwaiian on this one, as the king run is really going on five weeks late. Lets hope they show soon.

#156254 - 07/31/02 05:42 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Have you ever been to a realy good party where there is lots of food, etc? Stayed out a bit late? The Ocean is like that this year. They will be here.

I have heard of lots of action from the offshore banks, ie swiftsure. So many Chinook you can't get down to the 'Butt.

They will be here.

I hope.

#156255 - 07/31/02 06:08 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
Gutz, very well put! laugh

#156256 - 07/31/02 06:56 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Pelicans are at the mouth of the Quileute right now and have been here for a while!

#156257 - 07/31/02 08:34 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Looking at the color satellite view, we're still ok. The last major El Nino had surface temps in the mid to upper 60's in July.

Pelicans off the "Q," must be a ton of anchovies out there!

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#156258 - 07/31/02 08:49 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nope, in the river mouth. They actually come almost evry year Elnino or not, they are smolt eating machines. In Elnino years there are just alot more of them but this year there arnt any more than you would see on an Elnino year.

#156259 - 07/31/02 08:56 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Waiteman Offline
Parr

Loc: Granite Falls, Wa.
Here is a link to the current ocean temps.

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data/washngtn.c.gif

#156260 - 07/31/02 11:45 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Strange....the water is so much colder at the mouth of the Strait. I wonder why that is?

#156261 - 08/01/02 03:38 AM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
When I was at the Quileute this past Sunday, there were quite a few pelicans at the mouth... looked like they were feeding on surf smelt, though... there was tons out there... who knows?

-N.

#156262 - 08/01/02 10:47 AM Re: Puget Sound Salmon. Are the runs this year late or weak??
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
As far as Areas 9/10 coho so far, it's too early for a big push of ocean coho. The resident coho are down this year due partly to reduced hatchery production. The Wallace Hatchery has cut its coho production in half, down to about 150,000 smolt, due to reduced impact on coho by Canadian commercial troll fisheries. I think this reduction might have a significant impact on resident coho. Be patient and hope for good coho returns in September.

Beezer

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, 1 invisible), 983 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |