Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162842 - 10/21/02 08:42 PM Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
With the nets still in the water following Friday's closure ... I believe it's time for one of our "fish-in's". I've got calls out right now to see what sort of interest there might be and we could perhaps use some help in contacting media agencies if this goes down smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#162843 - 10/22/02 01:31 PM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
I'm telling ya, It's time for something a little less benign than a "fish in". Its time to do something that will make a much stronger statement.

#162844 - 10/22/02 01:37 PM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
OH hell I havent been jail for a while.... I'll come over...should I bring a net??? when ??

#162845 - 10/22/02 01:53 PM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
KB......LOL...... laugh

#162846 - 10/22/02 04:12 PM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Bob,
I wont be able to attend anything personally but I would be happy to help with contacting the media, gathering support, etc.
I am online all day at my work.

ryleyf@hotmail.com on MSN messenger or email me.

So what were the results of the Chat???

Sky-Guy

#162847 - 10/22/02 06:34 PM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: offut lake/lacey
i'm in...got laid off today...i'm not working for at least the next month...anyone feel sorry for me???? i'm coast bound!!!!!

#162848 - 10/22/02 07:19 PM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
RAG-TIME Offline
Fry

Loc: PORT ANGELES, WA, CLALAM
I'm in. So are we floating the river on Hay bales? I heard their running down river by the 100's.

#162849 - 10/22/02 08:04 PM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Things look like a go for Thursday at 3 PM at this point. Bob Mottram from the Tacoma paper called with some ????'s and Scott Miller, the King-5 environmental reporter left a message asking about it. I haven't been able to get back to him yet frown

I'll post some info hopefully later tonight with all you'll need to know and I think the best thing we can do is get as many people to go to all the paper and tv station sites and send them an email and tell them that this IS IMPORTANT!

For those that seem to think this a protest of the closure to sporties ... it isn't. This is a protest of the Quileutes choice to ignore the plight of a wild run of fish! We do not want the river opened back up until the water flows change and some fish get to where they belong, we want the fish to have that chance!

My trips are all but done until these fish get some free passage ... that's how come I've been able to sit around and play politics all day when it's sunny out smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#162850 - 10/23/02 09:31 AM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
I contacted a gal that I met at King 5 Mrs Berman she will be calling you today

#162851 - 10/23/02 10:14 AM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
Bob
I think it is important to get facts to the media. Please email your photos to Mark Yuasa a the Seattle Times today if you can at (myuasa@seattletimes.com)...I am going to email him now. Please explain a little more to the group as to which rivers are closed and are they totally closed or only to the taking of Chinook? A friend is going over today and says the only way he can fish with his guide is to get a permit from the indians and fish off the bank. Other friends have had river trips set up for a year on the OP and don't really know whether to plan on the trips or not. One of them is planning to fish the HOh. Is that river closed? Is bank fishing ok? Please clarify a little more.

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#162852 - 10/23/02 03:09 PM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
seaweed Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: under the sea
Bringing back to the top...... cool

#162853 - 10/23/02 03:11 PM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
seaweed Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: under the sea
Bringing back to the top...... cool

#162854 - 10/23/02 03:27 PM Re: Chat Tonight/Topic: Possible Coast Protest
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Grandpa ... The Quillayute River is closed to all fishing, that's where probably 95% of the fish in the system are right now, the water conditions are just too low for the fish to go very far up the other streams. They are getting a few silvers in the bottom ends of the other streams, but most are old fish.

The Quillayute tribe continues to pound on the stacked fish in the deep holes and although drift netting isn't terribly effective right now ... they're chasing schools of fish into the nets by rounding them up with sleds. When we were down the river, we heard the netters complaining that they were only getting 20 cents a pound for what they scooping up, I imagine that's even lower yet as the quality of the fish now is very poor.

The Quillayute tribs are open for silvers only, but most of the fish haven't had a chance to get that far up ...

The Hoh remains open for silvers only. There are a fair number of kings in the lower portion of the river, but most of these are also very old and many are already carrying fungus growth. To their credit, the Hoh's have already relaxed a fairly light net schedule and even under that schedule, effort is low.

I have put all my trips on hol until conditions change ... not only because of the type of fishing these conditions have created (sit in one or two holes all day, throw everything you own at the same pods of fish and so-on) but also to give the fish a break. This is my peak salmon time, with many of these dates having been booked up to a year ago and I could have booked many of them several times over. But, in the best interest of my client's experience and the welfare of the fish, we're going to wait and allow conditions and escapement to improve before we begin again.

Not sure where the tribal permit thing comes into play with your friends ... each guide is doing things a little different. This isn't to say that they won't be able to catch fish or anything ... we've just chosen to go another route.

Hope this helps smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |