LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#265003 - 12/28/04 05:35 PM Winch for cartopper - any suggestions?
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Hoping someone on the board might have a suggestion for me. I have a 13 ft pontoon, approx 120 lb. Currently I have two cross beams on my truck's fiberglass topper . I lean the pontoon against the back of the truck and slide it up and on to the back beam and then push it forward to the front beam. It's a bit of work, harder when the pontoon is rigged for two. Here's my question:

I have seen (somewhere) a system that allows a cartopper to be winched on to the back of an RV. I'm wondering if I could do the same by putting a small winch on the back cross beam and then attaching the cable to the rear part of the pontoon. Turn winch on, it pulls the back forward, front end pivots and falls to the front beam. Basically what I'm doing by hand only have the winch do the work. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? My back needs some relief. PS, buying a flat bed trailer is not an option unless I sell my 15 aluminum boat and I'm not quite willing to do that - yet!

Thanks for your help!

#265004 - 12/29/04 01:43 AM Re: Winch for cartopper - any suggestions?
sled19 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: NEWBERG OR. U S A
We have tried this very thing and you will have to have a short piece of rope on the front to keep it from tipping backward. Easier for us was to keep a piece of plywood in the truck or some type of a runner for the boat to slide on. Pad the runners with something to protect your rigs paint. With the runners mount a hand winch on the back rail and the you can crank while you are in back being sure that everything is riding alright. Just run your winch line to the front cross member and the to the middle of the front cross member and a small block then back to the front of your boat and it should work great for you every time. This will save more than just you back.

#265005 - 12/29/04 09:26 AM Re: Winch for cartopper - any suggestions?
Mike C Offline

Thanks Sled. I wonder if you might have a picture of the set up?

#265006 - 12/29/04 11:16 AM Re: Winch for cartopper - any suggestions?
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

When I was a kid my neighbor built a system like you're talking about. I know I've seen one for sale somewhere too. I'll see if I can dig up an old photo or add. The thing worked like a charm. My neighbor was old and used two canes to walk, but still loaded a 12 ft Livingston right from the water onto his truck canopy in about two minutes.

Here you go! http://www.eideboatloader.com/

#265007 - 12/29/04 10:22 PM Re: Winch for cartopper - any suggestions?
Mike C Offline

Thanks, that's the unit I was thinking about. My auto mechanic came up with a great idea. Use the rear hitch receiver, make a L shaped attachment with the winch at the top and the bottom plugs into the receiver. Fire it up and the winch pulls the raft up and on to the truck canopy. Should work!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |