Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325192 - 12/22/05 01:43 AM Twitching Pink Worms
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
Has anyone ever tried to twitch a pink worm with a bullet lead or heavy jigs like bass fisherman?

I am just curious for a new method.

#325193 - 12/22/05 01:56 AM Re: Twitching Pink Worms
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I haven't tried it, but people do it and catch fish. I think I'll put it on the list of things to do.

#325194 - 12/22/05 08:32 AM Re: Twitching Pink Worms
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Did it for Humpies and it worked but that isn't saying much \:\)

#325195 - 12/22/05 01:52 PM Re: Twitching Pink Worms
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Yes...I fish them like bass worms in heavy cover...been working on it for a few years up on the Sauk for fishing the massive log jams, especially during low water when the rest of the river is only two feet deep. I tried it on quite a few other streams last spring with the really low water, too.

Short leader (less than 24", which is really short for PW's), really heavy slinky weight...

Does it work?

I'll let the few guys here who have seen me do it chime in, if they wish, but I'll tell you this...you better keep two hands on the rod if you are going to fish them this way...

...and if you suffer from a heart condition that might make you keel over in the drift boat if large native fish start jumping around in the middle of log jams with your pink worm attached to them, you might want to consider NOT fishing them this way.

...and if you're one of those guys who breaks his rod over his knee when he loses trophy size steelhead, especially ones that have been jumping around inside of log jams while you are fighting them, you should use your cheapest rod for doing this, and watch out for fiberglass splinters in your knee.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#325196 - 12/22/05 02:07 PM Re: Twitching Pink Worms
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd:
...and if you're one of those guys who breaks his rod over his knee when he loses trophy size steelhead, especially ones that have been jumping around inside of log jams while you are fighting them, you should use your cheapest rod for doing this, and watch out for fiberglass splinters in your knee.
Thanks Todd, now I've got a reason to haul out (or should i say "break" out) the old yaller Eagle Claws. And thanks for the word to the wise. I'll be sure top wear my yellow bib Helly Hansen's so the splinters stickin' out my knee won't be so obvious. \:D
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325197 - 12/22/05 02:21 PM Re: Twitching Pink Worms
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Good moves, Mooch!

As I was getting at above, when the rivers are especially low and clear like they were last spring, this technique was working well for me...but when you hook big native fish back in the middle of log jams, let's just say your "hook to land" ratio is not as good as if you were hooking them on plugs in open water!

"Better to have hooked and lost, than to have never hooked at all!"

Fish on...

Todd

#325198 - 12/22/05 03:08 PM Re: Twitching Pink Worms
Wooly Bully Offline
Spawner

Loc: NE Seattle
Todd,
Are you going "weedless" with a bass type worm hook?

#325199 - 12/22/05 03:19 PM Re: Twitching Pink Worms
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

WB,

I've tried it, and it doesn't seem to help with hangups, at least in the jungles I'm casting it into...but I haven't experimented with it too much.

Fish on...

Todd

#325200 - 12/22/05 05:58 PM Re: Twitching Pink Worms
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
I use the worm slid on 1/4 to 3/8 ounce plain jigs and do well for twitching for salmon - especially silvers. I've had a little luck with steelhead, but not as much as with silvers and pinks. You need to slow it down with with winter runs, chums, and kings and keep it in the strike zone longer. The silvers will chase them down from 50 feet away...

#325201 - 12/22/05 07:36 PM Re: Twitching Pink Worms
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
Hey Todd,
So you are setting it up drifting then?
I am wondering about putting a pink worm on a heavy jig like you do with bottom fish and twitch away down a rift.

#325202 - 12/22/05 07:54 PM Re: Twitching Pink Worms
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
While I caught my first steelhead on a jig in the early 1970s it wasn't until the early 1990s that I tried "twitching a jig". At the time I was doing quite a bit of bull trout work that required catch a fair number of fish. The by-catch of summer steelhead was a problem and in an effort to reduce that by catch I tried a 1/4 oz bucktail jig with a plastic worm trailer. I would cast it out and hop/twitch it along the stream bottom (ala bottom/bass fishing). As pointed out by Dave in the other PW thread the bull trout liked the presentation however the experiment to reduce the "steelhead by-catch" failed as the incidental encounters with steelhead increased.

Tight lines
Curt

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, Tug 3), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |