Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#732167 - 01/10/12 10:19 PM Fishtale's Award Winning Smoked Canned Salmon
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Posted without permission from Fishtale. If he minds, I'll take it down.

But, it's so damn good, that it *has* to be shared!!!!

The Brine is:

1 cup pickling/brining salt
1 quart boiling water
2 lbs brown sugar
1 large can of pineapple juice
3 quarts ice cold water

Get a clean cooler or a 5-gallon food-grade plastic bucket (never use any metal container) and add the salt and sugar to the boiling water.
Stir until all of the sugar and salt has disolved then add the cold water then add the pineapple juice once it has cooled.

Next add your fish to the brine.

Brine for 12 hrs.

Remove the fish from the brine and place on cooling racks to air dry until the pellicle forms - I normally put a fan in front of the fish and let it dry for at least 2 hours. Should be really sticky to the touch.

Put it in the smoker for 1 pan of chips and smoke for 45 min. to 1 hr. Or, if you're like me, I set the smoker to about 130-140 for a half hour or so.

Remove it from the smoker and remove the skin. Pack it in the jars and make sure the top of the jars are clean(I use a mixture of vinegar and water). Then pressure cook the for 90 min. at 10 lbs of pressure and you are done.

#732309 - 01/11/12 03:16 PM Re: Fishtale's Award Winning Smoked Canned Salmon [Re: The Moderator]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Reel close to what I do only I smoke @ 130-140 for 1.5 hours air dry for an hour then can 10# for 60 minutes.I leave the skin on as the skin has lotsa oil's and flavor,however I pack in jars with the skin in the middle so ya can't see it from the out side of the jar.Thanks, I will give this brine a try soon.Good luck,
SZ

#782582 - 09/01/12 12:56 PM Re: Fishtale's Award Winning Smoked Canned Salmon [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Just checked on the "internet"....the 10 # for 110, at sea level was what I found and what my canning booklet says same thing.

SZ-----Why air dry????? If you're going to can???? I do take a knife and scape the "fat off" and put in the jars.....no skin in my jars....

I'd rather pressure cook a little longer.....and be safe......just saying!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#782643 - 09/01/12 09:51 PM Re: Fishtale's Award Winning Smoked Canned Salmon [Re: DrifterWA]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Sawdust, is what get if you pressure cook the fish for too long, but on the other hand there is the a possibility of a dirt nap.

I have noticed that the prescribed canning time has been coming down.

I would not go much below 60 minutes at 10#, as I know of no survivors of less than 59:30 at 10#.

Dead men tell no tells.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 822 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |