Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1033438 - 06/29/20 10:14 AM Crock Pickles
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Crock Pickles or Quick Pickles

This is an old German family recipe for super quick and easy dill pickles. They are not preserved and they will spoil, but they are delicious and super simple to make.

Large stoneware crock. I have a 3 gallon, which is pretty big - but you don't need one that big. Plus a crock lid if you have one. If not, that's ok, you can use a dish towel to cover the top. You also need crock weights. I have the matching stoneware weights for my crock. If you don't have weights, you can use a plate or saucer to cover all of the ingredients and add a quart mason jar filled with water as the upper weight.

Anyway, take a bunch of small pickling cucumbers and place in the bottom of crock. Fill with water to about 2 inches above the cucumbers. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup salt to water and stir. You want the water to be pretty salty but not too salty. Taste the water and you'll know when it has the right saltiness. Then add a bunch of fresh cut dill directly on top of the pickles. Then add your weights and cover. Let this sit for 48 - 72 hours on the counter. Then start tasting your pickles. You'll know when they are ready to eat. Usually right around day 3. They should last about 10 or so days in the brine before things start to go bad. They can just sit in your croc on the counter - no need to refrigerate. You'll know when they are starting to go bad when a scum / film starts to form on top of the water.

Other tips. Add fresh crushed garlic cloves, a bit of pepper or a chopped up Jalapeno if you want some spiciness. You can also take these pickles, chop em' up and make an onion, tomato, pickle chopped salad / side dish.

That's it. It's that simple. I just made up a batch last night and it took me all of 5 minutes.

#1033443 - 06/29/20 10:32 AM Re: Crock Pickles [Re: NickD90]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
The crock and plate routine is how my old man used to make sauerkraut, except he used a flat river rock as the weight.

I’ve got a bunch of cucumbers growing and I love filled pickles so I’ll have to give this a go this summer.
SF

#1033452 - 06/29/20 12:15 PM Re: Crock Pickles [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

They are really tasty and the end product is half way between a regular cucumber and a normal canned pickle. It's a great way to burn up extra cucumbers without having to go through the whole canning process. Granted, they don't keep long, but I eat them so fast I never found it to be a problem! I like mine with the Garlic and Jalapeno added in for the extra kick.

Enjoy.

#1033675 - 07/01/20 01:02 PM Re: Crock Pickles [Re: NickD90]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

Quick pickled red onions are awesome to have around also.

#1033696 - 07/01/20 07:22 PM Re: Crock Pickles [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Yes they are!

This last batch of pickles turned out pretty good. The dill, garlic and jalapeno were on point, but I got just a wee bit too much salt in there. They're still good, just a bit saltier than normal.

I'm going to make some quick pickled Radishes next. Then possibly some Kimchi or Kraut.

Someday once the chickens start laying considerable loot, I want to try some pickled eggs.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1107 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |