Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76269 - 03/28/03 03:08 PM Live Trap
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Anyone reading have a live trap large enough to catch a Coyote?
...or know someone who owns one?

I have had one frequenting my backyard recently, already ate two Purebred Bengal cats I had frown as well as several neighbors cats. We are estimating about 6 cats in the last year.

I want to Relocate him to a far away place, or worse, depending on what mood I am in at the time he/she is caught.

Or, do any of you have any other ideas for how I can rid myself of this pest?

Already sat up late several nights with night vision and a .22, no luck.
Losing a pet sure can piss ya off.

Thanks,

#76270 - 03/28/03 04:35 PM Re: Live Trap
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to hear about your pets,,,
Unfortunantly for problem animals like this our hands have been tied up for effectively controling these pests.
Your testimony would have been a great to give on this problem we all are facing. I urge you to tell your story via email to each of the committee members listed below. Hopefully this wrong that has been shoved down our throats is turned into a right. Please pass you experience to the folks that can change this.

I am sorry but many other Washingtonians across the state have been forced to break the law. I am not advocating that but just stating many have been forced down that road.
========================
The House Fisheries, Ecology & Parks Committee has scheduled SSB 5179 (Trapping) for a public hearing in Hearing Room A of the John L. O'Brien Building on Tuesday, March 25th (next week). The hearing will be televised on TVW. Things are going to mover very fast over the next 7-8 days so the committee members need to hear from you -- now -- that you support SSB 5179. Your own legislators also need to hear from as well that you support SSB 5179. Have your spouse, neighbors, family members and friends separately communicate their support for SSB 5179 to the committee members as well. Be respectful and be brief with your message. The members of the committee and their email address are:

Rep. Al O'Brien obrien_al@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Bill Hinkle hinkle_bi@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Bob Sump sump_bo@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Brian Hatfield hatfield_br@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Dave Upthegrove upthegro_da@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Jean Berkey berkey_je@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Jim Buck lbuck_ji@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Kirk Pearson pearson_ki@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Mike Cooper cooper_mi@leg.wa.gov

You can also leave a message for legislators at the Toll-Free Legislative Hotline at 1-800-562-6000. Those who call will also need to provide a name and address and the message needs to be brief and to the point since the hotline staff receive hundreds of calls every day. The shorter your comments the faster they can get them typed and sent to the legislator you are calling.

If you plan to attend the hearing and to testify keep your comments focused on, and limited to, the content and objectives of the bill. Written testimony with brief observations about your comments (without repeating or reading your testimony) is very effective. Use your own words when testifying - don't read your testimony. You do not need to testify to submit written testimony.

There is nothing to be gained by revisiting old battles nor airing old grievances associated with the 713 campaign. We have gotten to where we are this session by focusing on fixing the problems caused by 713 and we need to continue to reinforce the message that SSB 5179 amends I-713 to fix problems and that it does not overturn the initiative.

If you receive an email response from a legislator please forward it to the HHC at HuntersHeritageCouncil@attbi.com. Below are a few key points about SSB 5179 extracted from the Senate Bill Report for the measure. These talking points should be used, in your own words, when you send your message. Personalized messages are the most effective messages.

Sample talking points for SSB 5179

=============================================================================================

SSB 5179 amends I-713 by creating a science based, regulated, furbearer management program that is designed to resolve the multiple adverse property damage, human health and public safety consequences resulting from passage of I-713 such as damage to agriculture, horticulture, timber, ranching, irrigation and conservation districts, fish farming and hatcheries, flood control (dam's & dike's), orchards, airports, golf courses, homeowners (including moles and gophers) and similar examples.

Does not overturn or repeal I-713.

Recreational trapping for fur not permitted.

Makes it unlawful to use a prohibited body-gripping trap, steel-jawed foothold trap, neck snare, or foot snare to capture any mammal except to address an animal problem, for scientific research, for falconry, for nuisance avian control, or for mammal population management.

Requires that trapping be authorized only to control animal problems, for scientific research, for avian nuisance control, and for mammal population management and that trapping be conducted only by licensed trappers in accordance with rules adopted by the commission to ensure the humane treatment of captured animals. Requires the release of wildlife trapped for any other purpose.

Prohibits furbearing mammals from being captured alive for sale or personal use.

---

#76271 - 03/28/03 04:36 PM Re: Live Trap
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forgot,

Please pass this info on to your neighbors!

#76272 - 03/28/03 04:45 PM Re: Live Trap
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

I used to want to kill the Coyote, but that has passed.

All I want to do now is relocate him or her to a faraway place up in the hills so I dont have to worry about my other pets or my 2 year old playing in the backyard for that matter.

Would that be against the law?

I have used a live trap in the past to relocate Racoons that developed a taste for my Koi. The box type with the trap door that slams shut when their foot depresses a lever by the bait does not hurt the animal in the lease bit. I looked for any regulations about this 3-4 years ago, but didn't find any.

#76273 - 03/28/03 04:58 PM Re: Live Trap
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Well I read up and found that it is illegal to transfer wildlife per WAC 232-12-064.

Anyone have a big Live Trap?

#76274 - 03/28/03 10:05 PM Re: Live Trap
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
sky-guy ive been told the humane society rents live traps dont know for sure though .heres a link where you can buy em

http://trap-supply.hypermart.net/boxtraps.htm

#76275 - 04/04/03 06:06 PM Re: Live Trap
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I wouldn't think it would be to hard to build one or that expensive. You would just use some heavy gauge wire mesh, then you could transport him wherever you wanted. Design it like the ones the city uses to trap feral cats.

#76276 - 04/09/03 04:56 PM Re: Live Trap
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
You could use a live trap, but then you'd have to kill it anyway. It is illegal to relocate wildlife as mentioned before. I dont think a coyote would be very easy to catch in a live trap anyway. Some people I know said it took years for them to get a coyote back when trapping was legal. Better off to just shoot it if you can. It wont be missed, there are way too many as it is.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 345 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645367 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |