Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76277 - 04/03/03 06:36 PM Help with a Shotgun
Hog King Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I picked up an older shotgun a while back and am wondering what kind of choke it might have.

It's a Wards Western Field, 16 gauage, made by Savage Arms, model SB562A S/N 390XX. Don't know when it was made, and have not contacted Savage as yet for info.

I can't find any markings on it that say anything about the choke.

I like the old "Store Brands". Reminds me of the days when background checks weren't required. It wasn't neccesary to apply to the Federal Gov't for permission to exercise a Constitutionally gauranteed right! Heck, my 1st gun was a single shot break-open 16 ga. that I bought in Walla Walla at the hardware store for $30 when I was about 14.

Anyhoo......I figure to use it on grouse and maybe as a slug gun for blacktail.

Any info is muchly appreciated!

Get The US Out of the UN and the UN out of the US

#76278 - 04/03/03 07:23 PM Re: Help with a Shotgun
WaderBurps Offline
Parr

Loc: Everett, WA
I guess full. To find out for sure.

Get your hands on a choke gauge.

http://www.gunshop.com/galt0251.htm

Or measure with calipers and try to figure it out from this chart.

http://www.westc.co.za/chokes.htm

#76279 - 04/04/03 12:15 AM Re: Help with a Shotgun
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
If you can take a dime and be able to fit it into the end of your barrel, then its not a full choke. Get what am saying?

If your hands are to big, get some pliers, get a good grip on the dime so it does not fall down into your barrel. If you can stick the dime into the in of your barrel, the end that the shot comes out, then your good to shoot slugs, maybe.

Now on your barrel does it say anything? Does it say (P) or proof Steel? If it says (P) its proof and I would not feel safe shooting steel shot out of it. Foster type slugs are questionable, "Lead" Buckshot and "lead" birdshot ONLY, they will do OK.
If it says proof steel then you can shoot steel shot out of it without to many worries. But if it is a fixed choke like it sounds, and its a full choke. I don't care if it says proof steel or not. You start shooting BBB out of it or any of them goose or turkey loads out of it, your gonna split that barrel right in two sooner or later.

I may not be very old but I've been around guns many years, know my stuff, seen what happens when full chokes blow with heavy loads and have seen many other shotgun problems.
Others will tell you some stuff on this, this is just my 2 cents worth.
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

#76280 - 04/04/03 12:19 AM Re: Help with a Shotgun
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

WaderBurps~~The only problem with them choke measurement tools is that if you got a foreign gun, they will not work. Foreign chokes are tighter, smaller diameter then American chokes.

#76281 - 04/04/03 10:27 AM Re: Help with a Shotgun
Anonymous
Unregistered

Me, I would drop it by a gunsmith or shop and see what they say.

#76282 - 04/07/03 01:31 PM Re: Help with a Shotgun
WaderBurps Offline
Parr

A dime is not a more accurate measuring devise than a choke gauge. Both have flaws as a measuring tool but I would never shove a dime down the barrel of my gun. Dimes are easly deformed and should never be relied upon as a measuring tool (especialy with a fire arm). If you don't have the tools to accuratly measure your choke go to a gun shop.

#76283 - 04/08/03 11:25 AM Re: Help with a Shotgun
WaderBurps Offline
Parr

Also, I've been told that dime trick is for a 12 gauge not a 16 gauge, not 100% sure though.

#76284 - 04/08/03 12:20 PM Re: Help with a Shotgun
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

oh, now I feel stupid beathead beathead 12ga, 16ga

#76285 - 04/09/03 01:22 PM Re: Help with a Shotgun
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
I was gonna say the dime test is for 12 gauge shotguns only. It won't fit in the barrel, much less the choke area of 16 gauge shotguns.

Your 16 gauge is probably a full choke. Most guns sold in the old days were full choke.

My first shotgun was a single shot 16 gauge -- full choke. The first one I bought was a 12 gauge and I was a little leery of getting one that only had a modified choke.

Times sure change. My duck gun these days usually sports screw in chokes of CYL in the first barrel and IMP CYL in the second.

I also use these combos with lead shot for upland birds. And..... it works real well in shooting 5 stand with trap loads as most shots are within 35 yards.

#76286 - 04/15/03 03:55 PM Re: Help with a Shotgun
Hog King Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Thanks for the info, fellas!

Get The US Out of the UN and the UN out of the US

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (steely slammer, Carcassman, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645369 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |