Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#384951 - 10/29/07 06:56 PM 2007 SD Pheasant trip
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Just got back from a great trip back to South Dakota with my Dad and a couple of other long-time hunting buddies. Limits were the norm, even after pounding the same ground for four days. Really enjoyed the progress my dog Tucker made every day, we don't lose many birds on his watch!

Have any of you switched from a pump gun to an O/U and thought your shooting improved? I bought a cheap O/U 2 years ago, and I feel like I've gone from zero-to-hero with it

That pic with the hen is Tucker's first caught-on-the-ground bird! Bad dog

Attachments
FIRST HEN COMP.jpg

MISSION LEADER COMP.jpg

FIRST BIRD COMP.jpg

GOOD DOG COMP.jpg

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#384965 - 10/29/07 08:28 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: NOFISH]
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Loc: Port Angeles
Nicely done Pat! It's funny you mention that.. I shoot awesome with a pump, but I've spent so much time with an o/u on the skeet fields that I'd rather shoot one anyday \:\)

I guess I'm gonna have to raid your freezer and steal some pheasant.. \:\)

So easy, a cavegirl could do me

Team FTW

#384971 - 10/29/07 09:52 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: TBird]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Nice! What towns were you near? I spend a bunch of time out in that area for a railroad project I'm working on. It kind of looks like the Pierre area, but all of that country looks pretty much similar....

Neal

#384985 - 10/29/07 10:29 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: Neal M]
Ikissmykiss Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Snohomish County
Thanks for sharing Pat! I have some buddies who try to talk me into that trip every year. Tucker looks like a fine young dog....and you sound like a proud papa.

I consider getting a fancy O/U every year, but my Auto 5 has been with me from the beggining...it's part of my body. Plus I prove to myself every year that I need that 3rd shot...call it a handicap.

Ike

#384995 - 10/29/07 10:59 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: Ikissmykiss]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
I feel like i can't get rid of my BPS. Its my harvest gun. That being said i shoot a ton of quail with my O/U 28ga and have been getting better with my 20ga O/U

#385063 - 10/30/07 11:11 AM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: TBird]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: TBird

I guess I'm gonna have to raid your freezer and steal some pheasant.. \:\)

We did a brine recipe and bar-b-qued up the boned breasts with rosemary, and it was the most tender pheasant i've ever had.....so T-Bird, my freezer is off-limits \:D

We were in the NW corner of SD Neal......hmmmm, sounds like you should have some contacts back there ;\)

Ikiss: No kids to gloat over for this hunter, so the dog gets the royal treatment......I dread him getting all tore up back there cause I'd have the wife's boot giving me a rectum exam when I got home.

D3Smartie: I've never shot an Auto, but I have a BPS 10-gauge that I love for geese. I'm wondering if I haven't destroyed my modified choke in my ole 870 shooting steel through it, given the better success I've had with the O/U. Looking forward to your feathered exploits this year, you post cool pic.'s

Damn Stam!

#385079 - 10/30/07 12:03 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: ]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

I knew I forgot something! Forgot to swing by Buckley and pick up the Jeager-meister!

Damn Stam!

#385103 - 10/30/07 01:41 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: NOFISH]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
How many shells did you burn though, Sport?

#385136 - 10/30/07 03:45 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: Sol]
CrazyTom Offline
Fry

Nice birds. My family is from Pierre originally. We try to go back every year. I have been shooting a side by side 20 for over 20 years. My friends went birding with me last year with their semi 12s and decided to swtich to o/u's.

#385144 - 10/30/07 04:11 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: Sol]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Sol
How many shells did you burn though, Sport?

Lots and lots of shells! Shells go bad in a month if you don't use 'em donchaknow! The steady 30 mph wind 3 outta 4 days helped too, but I like the noise

Damn Stam!

#385161 - 10/30/07 06:29 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: NOFISH]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

YA--whatever

#385163 - 10/30/07 06:36 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: NOFISH]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
 Originally Posted By: NOFISH
Have any of you switched from a pump gun to an O/U and thought your shooting improved?

Just the opposite. I went from my old and trusty 870 Wingmaster to a Browning Citori. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that over under. Never did fit right.

Eventually, I traded that gun in for a Remington 11-87 SPS Super Magnum and went back to my good old killin' ways. Er, at least I could smash up the blue rock pretty well that Stam was huckin' last year at his party!

For some reason, the Remington guns fit me really well out of the box. Not so well with the Brownings. I'm sure I could have spent all the money and had a gunsmith re-fit the gun for me, but that seemed kinda foolish.

Glad you had a good hunt this year. Going to SD to pheasant hunt is definitely on my list of things to do before I die.

Looking at your post *almost* makes me miss Walla Walla. Almost. 5,000 acres of private asparagus land to hunt and my golden retriever. Many a bird died in my yoot! ;\)

#385181 - 10/30/07 07:39 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: The Moderator]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: parker
Going to SD to pheasant hunt is definitely on my list of things to do before I die.

Should we call you Earl?

It's funny, my "list" started getting short pretty quick after I asked for a divorce. I guess I'd better start a new one.

#385204 - 10/30/07 08:42 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: The Moderator]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

I started tagging along the banks of Dry Creek out of Walla Walla when I was 5, passed hunter education in the second grade, and started carrying a Model 12 16-gauge......man there were a pile of pheasants back there in those days when the prisoners were raising roosters!

You ever go back there Michael? They've got a conservation easement and plantings going on, seems to be really helping out....good #'s this year.

Damn Stam!

#385207 - 10/30/07 08:43 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Bucket
YA--whatever

How did your bird opener go?

Damn Stam!

#385317 - 10/31/07 12:32 AM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: NOFISH]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Bite ME!

#385429 - 10/31/07 02:54 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: NOFISH]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
 Originally Posted By: NOFISH
I started tagging along the banks of Dry Creek out of Walla Walla when I was 5, passed hunter education in the second grade, and started carrying a Model 12 16-gauge......man there were a pile of pheasants back there in those days when the prisoners were raising roosters!

You ever go back there Michael? They've got a conservation easement and plantings going on, seems to be really helping out....good #'s this year.

No, not to hunt pheasants. I've kept my deer/turkey options open, but that's about it. Just about all the land I used to hunt has been converted over to grapes. Dog died a few years ago and hunting without a dog is borderline retarded. I would never own a dog in the city. Just to cruel to the dog.

Heck, I'd almost be scared to drive out to Dry Creek. I bet it's 99% grapes now.

I'd be curious to know how the bird population is doing over there. It was really going down the crapper when I lived there (mid to late 80's). I did see quite a few birds around the state line area and on in to Muddy-Frogwater befor the season started. Some birds out in the College Place areas.

Just seems like more prime bird habitat is gone and missing now. Sure hope the remaining farmers are doing their part to keep the habitat in good shape for the birdies.

#385444 - 10/31/07 04:08 PM Re: 2007 SD Pheasant trip [Re: The Moderator]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
good hatch over there this year...

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |