THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#859422 - 09/27/13 12:20 AM Deer down! My first ever big game animal.
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
After a busy week I finally have a few minutes to write a story. Last weekend I took an eastside trip with some buddies including addicted2fish. Saturday morning me and addicted2fish woke up at 2:00am so we could head over to a pre-determined mountain and begin our climb. At 4:00am we were sitting in the sage brush on a hill waiting for the sun to come up. As the sun came up we were hoping to intercept some deer coming back from the alfalfa fields below.

We sat there overlooking a draw until around 7:00am. Nothing came in so we moved side hill a bit in order to glass the alfalfa field. We get to where we can see the field and then something catches my eye. I throw up the glass and am delighted to see a train of whitetails headed to bed. It was three bucks, two mature doe's and a yearling all in a line. The buck out front was a big bodied 4x4. We devised a plan to cut them off at a pinch point but it wasn't meant to be. still very cool to see something like that though.

later in the morning we moved over to the other side of this mountain we were on. We bumped a few muley doe's around but also started to run into a few hikers. I had an arrow knocked and was ready to draw on one just as a hiker came around a corner. I put the arrow back into my quiver and greeted him as the doe ran off. He said he couldn't believe they allow hunting where people hike. I wanted to say, "I can't believe people are allowed to hike where people hunt", But i refraned. Then he asked me how I know that I'm shooting a deer and not a person? At this point I didn't know what to say to the guy so me and Brandon walked away. haha I mean, he must have thought we'd be out there taking brush shots.

Anyway, on with my deer story.

We left for a few hours to let the morning hike crowd do their thing. We came back for the evening hunt hoping to do some open country mule deer spot and stalk and as luck would have it, that's what we did. we started up the hill through the sage brush and within minutes we had a muley doe at 75 yards. She was on the move on a side hill trail and was eating as she went.

I started the stalk and for a few minutes it seemed like i'd never gain any ground on her. She went over a knob and out of view so I took advantage of the situation and picked up the speed to close the gap. I started to round the knob and didn't see her for minute. Then, all of a sudden, there she is at 40 yards but she's got me pegged and is locked in on me with both ears standing at alert.

She didn't quite know what I was though and even did one of those pump fakes where they look down but then look up again really quick as if trying to catch you moving. She took a couple steps and was broadside. I came to full draw and settled my 40 yard pin on her. I released and instantly had a bad feeling about the shot. I had twitched upon the release and hit her pretty far back. it was a gut shot and I know watched in horror as she ran off kind of crouched over.

I believe everyone has there own terms of what an ethical distance for a shot is and for me, 40 yards is perfectly ethical. After shooting thousands and thousands of arrows over the last year I felt comfortable making the shot. I've been anylizing the shot over and over again all week and all I can think is that I may have rushed the shot and punched the release.

Brandon watched the whole thing go down and ran over after the shot. We went and found the arrow and it smelled like guts. I felt terrible!!! we waited a half hour and decided to at least start looking for blood. With the amount of predators where we were I wanted to find her before darkness set in.

Due to the gut shot there was very little blood. we started finding a drop here and a drop there but were mainly following her distressed looking tracks and blades of grass with bits of blood rubbed on it as she passed by. About an hour and a half after the shot we bumped her in her bed and off she went. We figured we could spot her and put a final stalk on her and make a final, well placed shot.

She was headed towards a lake at the bottom of the hill. It didn't take long before she crossed the road and jumped in the lake. I ran down to the lake and watched in horror through my binoculars as she swam for the other bank. it got dark just as I saw her reach the other side. But I couldn't see her get out of the water. An hour and a half later we were walking the shore hoping to find the deer down from the swim. We were wrong and we found her alive. She was bedded a few feet from the water and when we got close she jumped back in the water and started swimming to the other side!

At that point I was feeling about as low as I could possibly feel. It was never my intention to make her suffer like that. So, we backed out of there and went back to camp. It was now 10:00pm and had been on her trail for 6 hours! We figured she would swim across and bed down like she had done earlier.

Sunday morning we woke up at first light and headed to the lake. I glassed the lake looking for a floating doe while Brandon walked the shore. Within ten minutes Brandon walked up on her and she was down this time. floating a few feet from the bank. Using a tree branch I was able to get her in. I hung my tag on her ear and admired her. I was proud. Not poud of the shot I made but proud of the effort we made to find her. I owed it to her to do anything I could to recover her.

I feel like this experience will only make me better. I'm trying to take anything positive I can from it. As far as the meat goes, I think the lake was my saving grace. we got her skinned out and quartered at camp and I spent a couple days after work this week cutting steaks and taking my grind pile to the butcher for burger, breakfast sausage and pepperoni.

Here she is...my very first Deer! And my first ever big game animal!

This was back at camp. Didn't get a chance to get an actual field pick.

Thanks for listening.

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#859423 - 09/27/13 12:26 AM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: steeliedrew]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Sometimes it isn't pretty, but good job keeping on her and tracking her down.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#859425 - 09/27/13 12:34 AM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: Dogfish]
YBD
Unregistered

Good job and persistance. Tracking after a bad shot is a lot more than some folks do out there. Enjoy the meat and always get better.

Edited by YBD (09/27/13 12:44 AM)

#859428 - 09/27/13 12:38 AM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: ]
YBD
Unregistered

Should have told him you knew the difference well enough that you didn't have to find a place to bury a body. Fukin yuppies.

#859462 - 09/27/13 07:16 AM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: YBD
Should have told him you knew the difference well enough that you didn't have to find a place to bury a body. Fukin yuppies.

Haha. Yup. he got into one of three subarus parked next to each other at the bottom of the hill. haha. Just sayin... wink

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#859463 - 09/27/13 08:22 AM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: steeliedrew]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

Great job staying with her. I knew you would get something this year.

#859464 - 09/27/13 09:03 AM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: Dub]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

thanks dub. I kind of had that feeling as well. I wish all who are out there today on the last day of early archery the best. May you shoot straight and kill clean! can't wait for late elk to start up now. smile

#859482 - 09/27/13 12:45 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: 2MANY

Good work Drew.

Thanks 2MANY. hey, how did your trip to the Blues go?

#859486 - 09/27/13 12:59 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: steeliedrew]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Good story--Well Done

#859517 - 09/27/13 03:36 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Sounds like an amazing trip 2MANY. I think just being up close and personal to a rutting bull is something to behold. I found that out the other week down south. I'd love to see some pics if you get a chance to do a write up.

#859518 - 09/27/13 03:37 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: Redd_Daetona
Congrats Drew,

A tuff one, but worth the work and the emotional roller coaster a first deer often presents to a determined hunter

Again, well done.

Scott

Thanks Scott. How's hunting been going in your neck of the woods?

#859530 - 09/27/13 05:30 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: ]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
Congrats!

Rusty Bell

#859537 - 09/27/13 06:32 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: sykofish]
Happy Birthday landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
well done, drew!

willy

#859548 - 09/27/13 07:54 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: landcruiserwilly]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Nice work Drew.

#859617 - 09/28/13 05:44 AM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Sounds like a blast Scott. Post some pics for us when you get back.

#860015 - 09/30/13 02:30 AM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: steeliedrew]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Good job staying with it and finding her. .. .. . . I was always taught to let a potential gut shot animal go for a bit longer before starting to pursue . . . .
I was told it allows them to bed down and bleed out . . . Not saying you did anything wrong (and you recovered your deer, so obviously you did some things right, like staying with it til you found her), just curious what the consensus on tracking a gut shot animal is . . .?

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#860091 - 09/30/13 03:22 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: Coho]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
We had 3 does swim the river right behind the db last week, would have been easy pickings...nice job Drew

#860642 - 10/02/13 06:43 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: RognSue]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Well done Drew! It took me longer than two seasons to get my first deer.
Next up....elk :-)
I'm really looking forward to deer hunting with the boy and some east side elk this year. Brent has become a competent rifleman and I'm planning on staying dry this elk season.

#860726 - 10/02/13 10:58 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: seastrike]
Salman Offline
Spawner

That was a great story, good job.

#860882 - 10/03/13 07:51 PM Re: Deer down! My first ever big game animal. [Re: Salman]
YBD
Unregistered

I would imagine the consenus with any shot animal to give time to die/bleed out. I'm sure it takes a bit longer for a gut shot by arrow to die if the arrow is still in the body.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |