Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75443 - 11/26/02 05:34 PM Late Deer Status & Questions
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burien, Wa
Well… smile we went up Northeast Washington… in search of a Mulie or a White Tail… we were there for 3 days… burrrr most of the mornings were below freezing… but beautiful sunny days… Now we did see some nice animals a bunch of 2x2 and several spikes… lots of does… 2 of the 2x2's has nice thick racks with low to mid 20 baskets… You know, even when you look long and hard ya just can't make them grow that extra point…

The deer were still in rut and chasing/herding the does… fun to watch! We need SNOW, SNOW, SNOW!!!! The animals are starting to come down off the tops but don't know if this is an instinctive thing or just because it is still so dry the only green grass is down in the bottoms…?

My one concern is how many of the lesser buck are rounding up does and breeding because the big boys are staying up high or killed by the Lead Throwers… Don't want to start a fight with the Lead Throwers!!!

I like the fact that the Mulie population is climbing fast and that more 3 point or better bucks are available for the harvesting, but…. Are we jeopardizing the genetic strength of the animals by allowing the lesser bucks to breed and survive? beer

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#75444 - 12/01/02 10:31 PM Re: Late Deer Status & Questions
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
There is nothing wrong with holding out for the big boys. You can't shoot a big buck if your tag is already filled. I ate an out-of-state this year for that reason.
As far as the deer getting "overpopulated", you won't see that problem around here like back east mainly because whitetails back there have twins and triplets as a rule. It is very rare for muley's and blacktails to have triplets, and somewhat uncommon for them to have twins, although it does sometimes happen. As for the small bucks doing the breeding I am sure there are some big bucks around, they just aren't showing themselves.
The three-point minimum is a good thing I think, but I would be concerned if they went to a four-point minimum. I also hunt in Wyoming, where they had a four-point min. for a few years ( early nineties) and they started having some big three points that never went to four doing a lot of the breeding. The biologists realized the four point restriction was creating a problem and dropped it.

#75445 - 12/02/02 12:07 AM Re: Late Deer Status & Questions
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
This was my first year with hunting, and even though i didnt get anything, i saw a lot of does. I'm glad I wasnt able to shoot them... I'd like to have a trophy for a first deer.

#75446 - 12/02/02 12:44 PM Re: Late Deer Status & Questions
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Covington, WA
BBVD,

Your first deer will be a trophy no matter what it is.

BUT, here is to hoping that your first is a biggun!! beer moose

#75447 - 12/02/02 10:38 PM Re: Late Deer Status & Questions
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
DeKuma said it right. You'll get the shakes no matter how big it is. And besides, the smaller ones taste better.

#75448 - 12/02/02 10:46 PM Re: Late Deer Status & Questions
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
You got the taste thing right! My brother shot a big 5x5 whitetail north of Spokane a few yrs back. He shot it in a friends backyard. Our friend had planted a bunch of corn and that's what the big boy had been feeding on. That deer was so tough it was barely edible unless cooked in a crockpot half a day. My brother laughed when I brought home a little 2x3 mulie buck....until it was time to eat it,then the joke was on him!

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |