Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77352 - 12/22/03 10:35 PM Need some load info for .44 Mag
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
made the mistake of walking into a local gun store just to look. I seen just what I had been wanting for along time. Super Black Hawk.44 Mag with the 10" barrel. Very nice shape and the price didn't look to bad @ $299.00 I went back in today and they still had it. so I put 1/2 the money down on it and the rest when I pick it up on new years ev. just intime to make some noice for new years!!!!!

I want to use it for some hunting. I have been doing some hand loading for my Rifles but not any hand guns. I need some advise for some good hunting loads. anybody got some favs they might share ?

thanks,

dc laugh

#77353 - 12/23/03 01:52 AM Re: Need some load info for .44 Mag
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
This might tickle your funny bone, since you have loaded rifle brass..
About 15 years ago I bought a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag, and I too wanted to handload for it. Now I had done shotgun loads before but never rifle or pistol. So I bought a Sierra reload manual and the hardware to do it. So I preceded to load some shells, weighing each powder load. However when I pressed the bullet into the case the force needed to seat the bullet deformed the bullet top.. So I went back to the reloading shop and showed the owner a couple of the loads. He said it looked fine to him.. Next I went to the range and fired 3 rounds. Each one had a tremendous recoil... like the hand went straight overhead.. I quit and tried to extract the cases....no luck. Had to use a screwdriver to pound them out..
Here's what happened....... I had a new powder scale and I misread the powder weight, and was way over the recipe which was why the bullet wouldn't seat.... Probably most guns would of fractured,, not that Ruger 44.. Damn I was lucky..... God looks after the stupid I guess... Anyway get a Sierra or Hornady book they have proven loads.. I like the Sierra...
Here is another loading 'snaffu' I made.. My son in ND has a 7x57 and wanted me to load some 'hotter loads for him. So I did, sent them to him and he used them for deer.. Monster deer walks out, he squeezes trigger, 'click'. Jacks shell out squeezes again, 'click'...... He hadn't tested the loads prior to the hunt... Well seems like I had pressed the primer to far into the case and his firing pin couldn't strike it hard enough. I had used a hand press...... Live and learn... rolleyes Buck walked away . frown

#77354 - 12/23/03 11:52 AM Re: Need some load info for .44 Mag
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
As far as factory loads go- the Federal 300 gr in 44 mag should be able to handle any hunting situation. Hold on though : )

#77355 - 12/23/03 07:57 PM Re: Need some load info for .44 Mag
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

thanks guys.

anybody got some ideas for bullets? I would think the 300 gr would be the best for hunting. what brands. I have allso noticed they make them in jacketed and non-jacketed. what is that all about?

thanks

dc laugh

#77356 - 12/23/03 10:35 PM Re: Need some load info for .44 Mag
45/70 Offline
Fry

Loc: Benton City, WA
I'd highly recommend checking out reloading forums on:

http://beartoothbullets.com

http://sixgunner.com

You'll find exactly the information that you're looking for there.

45/70

#77357 - 12/25/03 02:40 PM Re: Need some load info for .44 Mag
Aix sponsa Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard
The most accurate load to date that I use is as follows
240 grn nosler tmj-sil.
Win brass
Win pistol primers
And IMR 4227 powder I use22.6 grns and come off with the best performance of all with that if you want other grins let me know AIX. And be safe inspect every thing twice with pistols their less for giving.
you can e mail me if you like
jimwright_1@netzero.com

#77358 - 12/25/03 08:54 PM Re: Need some load info for .44 Mag
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Aix,

thanks for the load. it will give me something to try. I might give you an e-mail with more questions. have you used that load for hunting or just on paper.

45/70 thanks for them web pages to look @

dc laugh

#77359 - 12/28/03 05:06 AM Re: Need some load info for .44 Mag
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
Check your PM

Looks like you got the gun I've been wanting...Ruger Super Red (or black) Hawk 44mag with a 7-10 inch barrel.

Good luck on your new gun!

PS...if you don't like it...I'll buy it laugh wink
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

#77360 - 12/28/03 06:42 PM Re: Need some load info for .44 Mag
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

kingfisher,

I found that web page the other day lots of great info.

thanks

dc laugh

#77361 - 01/07/04 02:13 PM Re: Need some load info for .44 Mag
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
I have two loads for my .44. One is a full throttle hunting load and the other is a light paper punching load.

This time of year I'd "target" the light paper punching load and get used to the handgun before working up to full throttle loads.

Mine is a 245 grain cast bullet and enough shotgun powder to give a load that has about 700 fps for velocity. It's an accurate load that shoots around 1.5 inches at 25 yards and has recoil less than a .44 Special.

Using light recoil loads is a good way to get used to the gun and develop the proper trigger squeeze.... and also what constitutes a good sight picture and follow thru.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |