Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79553 - 12/21/06 08:13 PM New Hancock Tree Farm Rules
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Well looks like next year there will be a big difference for all three of the tree farms owned by Hancock (Snoqualmie, White River, and Kapowsin Tree Farms). The tree farms will now be open year round except July 4th and any fire closures. In prior years they were open mid-March till mid-December. The cost to purchase the access permit too enter the farms are also different. Both Snoqualmie and White River cost will rise from $165 to $200 for 2007. While Kapowsin will lower from $365 to $300. There will also be a maximum number of permits issued. 1,200 for Kapowsin. And 500 each for Snoqualmie and White River. The change that probably dissapoints me the most is that Snoqualmie and White River now require one permit for each family, a family is defined as married spouses and their children under 19 years old. So you can no longer go up there with your buddies, unless they also get permits. In the past permits were issued to vehicles, not people. Any thoughts on this?

#79554 - 12/24/06 12:40 PM Re: New Hancock Tree Farm Rules
Joe Fishin Offline
Fry

Thanks for the information. It is disappointing to hear the news about the changes; especially the White River permits. My dad has been an avid hunter his entire life and spent his career at the White River Weyerhause Mill. When the tree farm sold, it has been frustrating to see fewer and fewer "old timers" being able to hunt in the woods where they spent countless hours building roads, taking care of the land and being advocates for taking the wildlife. I understand that times change, but it is sad to see such a loss.

#79555 - 12/27/06 09:41 PM Re: New Hancock Tree Farm Rules
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
I think it time we get together and pass something to increase the property taxes on timber companys that don't allow the public to use the land. that is the reson they get cheap property taxes. If they aren't allowing the public to use it and the roads that the state helped pay for then they should be paying what you and I pay for property taxes. If they want to pay the same taxes and charge us to use the land then fine. But why give them tax brakes so they can turn around and lock up the land or charge to use it. THAT IS WRONG. Allot of people don't know that the state and I think some Federal money help biuld allot of the roads in the forest lands.

Kris

#79556 - 12/28/06 08:13 PM Re: New Hancock Tree Farm Rules
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Kris,
I have been thinking the same thing for years. I think the best way to approach this is to raise all the property taxes than offer to reduce them if they allow access. If we threaten to just raise them, they will cry foul. It is a lot easy to offer it as a carrot rather than present it as a club.

#326026 - 01/05/07 12:35 PM Re: New Hancock Tree Farm Rules [Re: dcrzfitter]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Sorry but no the state doesnt help pay for roads on private timber lands unless there is state of federal land that can only be accessed through there land..Kapowsin area does not get a penny now if you go to copper creek above ashford where Hancock owns some land and so does state and federal yes they do get money and why shouldnt they if someone else was going to use your road wouldnt you want help financing it?

#326322 - 01/07/07 08:56 PM Re: New Hancock Tree Farm Rules [Re: Timber]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Timber,
In many areas there are checker board patches of timber land with the roads going through both state and private land. While it is true that the roads are used by the public, the timber companies get a lot of value through their use and use the public owned section of the roads to get to much of their land. Often they will close up these roads, cutting off access to public land, but at the same time will use these to access their land and land they own beyond the public land. It seems to me that if they feel the need to cut off road access through their land to the public, the state should cut off access through the state land to them.

#326329 - 01/07/07 09:41 PM Re: New Hancock Tree Farm Rules [Re: Krijack]
Anonymous
Unregistered

well a buddie of mine just got sued for clossing access through his property. he has 10 achres surrounded by public land. but you must pass through his land to get some of the public land. well he gated off the road at the edges of his land.

and the state sued him for blocking access to publicly owned land. basicly the law sute went like this. the courts say that is is illegal to block passage to public land. and that you by law have to allow access through your land if it is needed to reach certain public property.

for one i think it is bullcrap. although i do see the point. the only way i would fit to block access like that is if you are getting garbage dumped on your property by people crossing it, or if people are actually wondering through your private property. and not staying on the designated road through it.

#326477 - 01/08/07 09:14 PM Re: New Hancock Tree Farm Rules [Re: ]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Several years ago most of the private timber companies had closed their land due to fire damage. I got out maps and found patches of timber land that was public owned and had forest service roads to them. When I drove out to the area, every road was locked up by weyerhauser with signs saying they would prosecute anyone who trespassed on the roads. Rumor was that they would tow any cars parked at the gates. On at least one road I saw no private land on my maps between the public county road and the state land, but the road was freshly trenched and signed by weyerhauser. On the eastside of the state, much of the land is checkerboarded with state roads running through them. Many of the roads are blocked with no treaspassing signs on them. It may be that your buddy got a raw deal. Most likely the state only chased him because they wanted access for cutting, not the public. I

#326527 - 01/09/07 12:51 AM Re: New Hancock Tree Farm Rules [Re: Krijack]
Anonymous
Unregistered

more then likely that was the case. i wouldnt put it past the state.

i do know of a place by bluet pass that i hunt. it is surrounded by private property. and the land onwers have a road going through their property for us to access the public/state land.

it is very nice of them, even though the road is covered in trash from people using it.

i always make sure on my way out and in to pick up any big peices of trash i see. it keeps me on good terms with them,

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |