Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#645688 - 12/18/10 04:51 PM Elk For Sale in Yakima
shypoke Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma
CL has an add under attn Master Hunters. I have to vent a little here about this subject of whoring out our wildlife. As a master hunter I feel that any Hunter taking part in this activity has lost all contact with the whole concept of being a master hunter in this state. If you remember the top of the list was CONSERVATIONIST not another John. Now I realize, hey shypoke, this is the way things are going. BULLZHIT. There are endless opportunities to hunt in WA. I have elk in the freezer and did not pay any exorbitant fee for it. Cow came from state land. You know, if you just go out on public land and get lucky or maybe not see anything, should you not know in your mind that hey, I gave it a shot and theres always tomorrow. Yes I know you spent 1800.00 on that new Weatherby and all the trimings that go with it, so did I. Do we really need to go down the path of selling our natural resources? Become California. Pile on now, especially you guys from King county, I really get a kick out of how you want to change my opinion through scientific horsezhit. You either work for HR or the government and are ready to jump off the cliff with the other Lemmings, because thats what they said to do.

#645693 - 12/18/10 05:04 PM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: shypoke]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I'm pretty sure that being a Master Hunter in no way makes it legal for you to sell game killed in the State of Washington...as a matter of fact, unless the laws have changed significantly, it is still very illegal, Master Hunter or not.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#645694 - 12/18/10 05:09 PM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/2107613500.html

Is that the ad? Looks to like he's selling access to hunt on his private ranch, not selling elk...you may or may not be willing to pay a guide or pay a landowner to hunt private property, but that's definitely not illegal.

I wouldn't pay a fishing guide to take me fishing, either, but I don't begrudge the guides that make their living that way, nor do I begrudge their clients an opportunity to fish in a place or manner that they're unable to create themselves.

That being said...I would think that a Master Hunter wouldn't need to buy access to private property where the trail runs between feeding stations to fill his tags.

Fish on...

Todd

#645708 - 12/18/10 05:45 PM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: ]
shypoke Offline
Parr

Thank you for seeing my point, Todd and Chuck, I know its legal but is it ETHICAL among true hunters? Thats 3912 area by the way. Mainly private property. I realize not all bad people come from King county. I usually get alot of BS mumbo jumbo from posters. Kinda fun really. I do feel better after my rant though. PILE ON!!!!

#645763 - 12/18/10 07:38 PM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: shypoke]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
while i would not do it. i see this as being no different then leasing hunting rights from a timber company or bird hunting rights from a farmer. just another way for a rancher to make a little money from animals he is feeding

#645778 - 12/18/10 08:14 PM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: larryb]
shypoke Offline
Parr

You and I bought the feed larry, hes between two feed stations.

#645786 - 12/18/10 08:36 PM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: shypoke]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
yes but they eat on the wat thru

#645893 - 12/19/10 04:44 AM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: larryb]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
I wouldn't call it hunting. At this time of the year if I had not harvested an animal, was wanting elk meat in my freezer and I had the tag I would rather pay a fee to have the opertunity to put quality meat down myself than buy what we call beef from albertsons or safeway. The hunt exist to thin a few animals from the herd. It isnt hunting but its not the end of the world and it beats the hell out of the stuff I will be buying in those neat little square packages. If they were shooting bulls I might get pissed.

#645932 - 12/19/10 12:40 PM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: Achewter]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I guess it would depend on what you're there to do...if you're there to have some fun by harvesting your own groceries, and don't get all puffed about what a great hunter you are, then knock yourself out...

It's kind of like fishing on the Salmon River on the Rez with the Quinaults...yeah, you can catch a lot of steelhead, yeah, you can bring home more than two...no, it does not make you some sort of steelhead fisherman to do it.

Shoot your elk, clean and butcher it yourself, get it packaged, and fill your freezer...don't take a bunch of glory shots and tell everyone the epic hunting story of how you drove out there in a 4 wheeler and used all your hunting skills to shoot a cow out of a line of animals walking between feed stations.

I wouldn't call it hunting, but I guess it's better, like Art said, than going down to the grocery store and filling the back of your truck up with beef from some packing plant in Iowa.

Fish on...

Todd

#645937 - 12/19/10 12:56 PM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: Todd]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Trespass fee for a management hunt. The 3911 and 3912 AHE/MH hunts are damage control/harrassment hunts. The benefit is that by hazing the elk, you get to take some meat home. I've taken 8 elk during these damage hunts in 20 years, most have come out whole. It isn't a deep woods Colorado hunt, but it does supply plenty of meat for families.

Time to get off of your high horse, Shypoke. You need to kill the elk where they are. If they are in a field, then so be it. If the farmer wants to get a little compensation for the damage the herd does to his field, fine by me.

I have enough opportunity elsewhere to get my elk, so I wouldn't pay for that opportunity. How much was he charging?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#646237 - 12/20/10 01:18 AM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: shypoke]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Im not going to pile on. And no, I dont think the whole state or more is going that way. I have seen it especially in leased land for bird clubs. At least those guys who will pay to hunt on private land, will be less likely to compete with the guys on a budget.

The day the ranchers stop allowing any kind of access, thats the day a lot of hunters are in trouble. We also dont know what financial challenges these guys have. If they had to sell, the next owner might not allow access at all. The guys in King County would probably love to live in those areas, but they dont have the tools for the trade. So they pay to play.

Go thru Oklahoma or Texas and youll see oil pumps and Wind Turbines. Its really no different. On the flip side is a place like the Bucks of Tecomate and that model allows other guys to make hunting better in areas that might not have been good in the past.
http://www.tecomate.com/

#646241 - 12/20/10 01:38 AM Re: Elk For Sale in Yakima [Re: Fast and Furious]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

I want to add one other thing. I know a guy with property Near Centralia. He offered to let people that his kids met hunt on his land. Along the way, they came back and stole materials like steel and fencing off his land that he paid for to use in some projects. NEVER once, did any of them offer to help this guy build up his place. That pays dividends. You go find a land owner you want to develop a friendship with and offer to help out, not once, but several days each year. In the old days, a bottle of booze was common, today they have a lot of guys who want access. If he has predator problems or dogs or a barn to paint, you have the opportunity to earn some respect and if he does not hunt, then he might appreciate a little meat. And you dont invite your friend along for a free ride. You paid in, no one else. No different than showing up with friends to raid his refrigerator.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 926 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |