Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1017595 - 11/26/19 06:28 AM GA huntin'
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Didn't hunt while in GA, but did grab the regs. Boy, is it different from here at least in the regs. Derr season is September-January. No weapons choice, but different regs for each weapon type. The limit is 12; 2 bucks (one must be a 4-pt) and 10 does. An out-of-state license would run me about $300. In addition, one could get a couple bear, unlimited pigs, and so on. In the reg pamphlet, one of the Commissioners says, clear as day, that outing and fishing to feed your family is part of their mission.

Did I mention licenses were cheap? Even NR.

#1017601 - 11/26/19 08:19 AM Re: GA huntin' [Re: Carcassman]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Several southern states manage their game like that and it's great. Whitetail and pigs everywhere. The WT's don't get very big compared to northern and western WT's (both in rack and body size), but they are plentiful. I always wanted to hunt SC when I lived there, but work kept getting in the way. Lots of managed leases where you can shoot multiple deer and pigs in the same day for very cheap. I believe pigs are open year round in SC - just as they should be. They are supposed to be good eaters compared to pigs from Texas, Oklahoma etc.

#1017633 - 11/26/19 12:01 PM Re: GA huntin' [Re: Carcassman]
River Nutrients

I don't know what the land/access situation is, but it sure looks like one could have a great hunt if you figured a spot.

WT seem to be much better adapted to humans than BT/Mulies. They produce more fawns and seem to live in higher densities. Also, most down there are resident. o, unlike the migratory species, the range is stock year around.

#1017640 - 11/26/19 01:01 PM Re: GA huntin' [Re: Carcassman]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
There are quite a few national and state forests down that way which have decent hunting. Most hunters seem to belong to a 'hunting club' of some sort or have leases on private land. We looked into hunting the 'low country' of SC and it's all private, so you gotta pay to play. But like I said, it's pretty cheap compared to western hunting. $1000 gets you a handful of days with a chance at multiple deer and pigs. It's not uncommon to pop a handful of deer and pigs on the same day.

As far as WT - yes, they are very habituated to humans compared to BT's and Mulies. For one, there is a LOT more agriculture (food plots) across the Midwest and south (more fawns). Second, they are not as nocturnal, so they tend to be around when humans are around. A Combine is the single greatest hunting vehicle made. Lastly, cold weather & snow in the Midwest and northern states tends to yard em' up in large groups over said food (or cover). On multiple occasions, I've seen several hundred WT's in a single field. I once took (4) WT's in about 5 minutes. A small buck and (3) does. They just kept coming out after that food plot and could care less about their brethren laying dead right there. You won't find such reckless foolishness with BT's. You also will rarely find multiple BT's in a single spot. They are much less communal and way more solitary & wary.

I think also think mountain lions, wolves and bears play a huge part in our Western states. Deer in the west can't afford to yard up or be as social, less they become dinner. That's my $0.02 - IMO....

#1017650 - 11/26/19 03:14 PM Re: GA huntin' [Re: Carcassman]
River Nutrients

Predators are certainly part of it but I think that WT just like each other more. That, and no migrating which leaves one range (winter or summer) essentially vacant half the year. At least for mulies...

Does look like fun, though. They (GA) allow pig hunting at night and with bait. They do warn you, though, that while bait os legal for some species it is illegal for others. So, while you can spread corn for deer you have better not pop a turkey in that same place.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |