Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97945 - 10/17/00 01:26 PM best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Chris Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa
Ok, I know of drifting eggs and plugs. But which plugs and stuff. I could really use some help. Thanks a lot.
Ct

#97946 - 10/17/00 02:42 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Wiggle wart"s.Good luck, STRIKE ZONE

#97947 - 10/17/00 03:01 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Chris Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Ok cool, thanks but what colors? Would tadpolys work? thanks

#97948 - 10/17/00 04:04 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Try running a jet diver with eggs. Or a diving plug painted flat black as a diver and run straight eggs. THe size of diver of plug diver depends on depth of hole or slot you are fishing. Use about a 40 inch leader with double 1 or 1/0 hooks. Go as heavy leader as water permits. Instead of straight eggs also try a gooey-bob above the eggs or a small spin-glo.

#97949 - 10/17/00 04:40 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
I've has luck with these wart colors: Michael Jackson, either plain or with an orange or green butt.
Also, blue pirate (i think that's what it's called -- red,silver and blue metallic).
I've heard that the crawdad color works, but it hasn't for me yet.

#97950 - 10/17/00 05:06 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Chris, Try useing wiggle's in blue pirate,flor pink,green pirate,chrome & blue herring bone and never leave home with out the salmon nail it steelhead in hail it.Which is the chrome,black back with orange dot on belly with the bill dipped in red.Yes tadpolly's will work but prefere the wiggle's and size 30 hot shot's.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#97951 - 10/17/00 05:13 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
OK stink,
What's a Michael Jackson??? As for the right colors Chris it seems to me that each river has a color that seems to work best in it although some work everywhere, blue pirates have been metioned, green pirates also, all chrome w/ either the orange or black stripe down the back, flo orange or flo orange herringbone and flo pink. If you have read RT's plug tips he has some designs that he swares by also. Plug choice depends a lot on water color and condition.
Hey Zone,
Which color red do you dip the bill in metallic or gloss(if that's not a setup I don't know what is hehehe)???
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff

[This message has been edited by salmonhead (edited 10-17-2000).]

#97952 - 10/17/00 05:27 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Chris Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks guys. How do we know the name of the wiggle warts. when I buy them they don't say what their name on them. How can we tell?
Ct

#97953 - 10/17/00 05:38 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
The Michael Jackson wiggle wart is black with silver flecks all over it. Don't blame me, I didn't name it! It's a good lure for chinook, coho, and steelhead.

#97954 - 10/17/00 06:29 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Last Cast Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sumner Wa.
Chris you asked the wrong question,it should have been " What plugs don't catch Salmon". In other words Chris for some odd reason some plugs give off that certain flash, look , vibration, movement (who really knows)that fish can't resist you'll know which plugs those are because they'll attract the fish no matter what the conditions are and the other plugs you have out can't buy a bite with no matter what.

#97955 - 10/17/00 06:35 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

SalmonHead,
It's the lure-coat ya get at sportco or auburn sport's.The color is hot pink,I dipped the bill probly 7 to 10 time's in a five minute period.Too get a metallic looking red color.Red finger nail polish work's fine also.
Chris,
Some of the names to these plug's are the correct one's and some are the slang names made up by other fisherman thru out the year's.Good luck, STRIKE ZONE

#97956 - 10/17/00 07:20 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
Wigglewarts are great for silvers but I have to say that I have had double digit days or close to it the last couple of weekends using Dic Nites. My old standby Wigglewarts, a few "hall of famers" of many others I own, have not even come close to catching as many Coho as the Nites and the U-20's. Last Coho season I trolled, cast, and backtrolled Wigglewarts with good success but this year the Wigglers will sleep in their plug boxes until the forementioned items quit working. Give 'em a shot.

Justin
CEO, Sauk River Steelhead Ranch

#97957 - 10/18/00 12:20 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Don't forget magnum wiggle warts for coho. In all the same colors as mentioned above for regular wiggle warts. One thing about warts a novice has to learn quick is how to "tune" them so the run straight. Your usually all right with tadpollys and hot shots out of the box but almost all warts need to be tuned.

Beezer

#97958 - 10/18/00 12:33 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Are you nuts, Saukit2em!?! Those D'Nites don't work for squat. I personally recommend that everyone stick with their Wiggle Warts!

Parker
President, Sauk River Steelhead Ranch

#97959 - 10/18/00 12:55 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Hey Chris,
If your headed to the Nooch' stop at Monte Square, I think they have every Wiggle Wart ever made!!! LOL The lady that waited on me Saturday was really friendly and had a favorite plug for every river in the Chehalis system. They were a little spendy compared to other places but the other places are sold out and they have the plugs!!!
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff

#97960 - 10/18/00 01:09 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Chris Offline
Juvenille at Sea

thanks, guys. where is Monte square? also, how do you tune a plug?
Ct

#97961 - 10/18/00 07:38 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
escapee Offline
Spawner

Loc: Marysville, Wa., USA
I have to say I agree with Parker, nobody use D'nites, they don't work. In fact there are no silvers in the river. Stay home and watch football.

#97962 - 10/18/00 08:54 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
With regards to color preference;

My buddy has a favorite jig color or two, which he uses almost exclusively. I tend to change colors more. When there's a good bite, we both catch fish. Sometimes he outfishes me, sometimes the other way around.

Here's the point. He uses those colors all the time, so when the fishing's hot, that color combo gets the credit. When the fish aren't biting well, he'll change to a different color. If the fish continue not to bite, he says that color is no good. So, when he catches a fish, chances are good he'll be using one of his two trusty colors, and why change then? So therefore, his chances of catching one on a different color are pretty slim, since the fish must not have been in a biting mood if he was even TRYING a color other than his favs. in the first place.

I know that on some days, or on certain rivers, there are definitely preferred colors. But to ask "what is the best jig/plug/cheater/spinner color?" is simply asking a question that is difficult to answer. I'd say get a variety of colors, and you'll wind up having a favorite eventually. On the day you land 6 fish on your orange plug, that doesn't necessarily mean that some guy below you didn't land ten on a chrome/chartreuse pattern. And if you say "All the fish were caught on red plugs", that doesn't really tell you anything if everybody out there is using a red plug. I'm afraid, my friend, that trial and error is the best way to settle on your favorite color pattern. Don't be stubborn and refuse to switch if guys around you are landing fish on a certain pattern, and you aren't getting any action. Comparing catch results from different days, on different rivers, in different water conditions will tell you little, if anything, about how effective a certain color pattern is.

I'd suggest some "standard" productive colors. For jigs: cerise, pink, white/pink, black/cerise, black/white(on Columbia tribs!). For plugs: Blue and green pirate, blue/chrome herringbone, chrome/chartreuse bill, and flo. orange or pink. For spinners: Chrome body/blade, brass body/blade, blue body/silver blade, red body/silver blade, black/black. I hope you saved your shackles, because It can get pricey especially when you consider that you should really have 2-5 sizes of the items mentioned above. But at least you'll have the bases covered.

Go get em' !

Fish on............

[This message has been edited by Dan S. (edited 10-18-2000).]

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#97963 - 10/18/00 10:56 PM Re: best way to get silvers... Out of a driftboat
lester Offline
Smolt

Loc: west richland,wa benton
Chris,
I have one of the largest collection's of Mag Wiggle Warts in the Pacific Northwest and I have caught lot's of fish on some of them, but this year my fishing partner and I started using Hot Lips straight lipped trolling plugs and find them to work better than wiggle warts when back-trolling out of a drift boat.Their large bill to body size ratio keeps them in the zone with less current than wiggle warts.I think they were made for walleye fishing,but we have had great success with them for Silver's and Steelhead. Needless to say we fish them more now than our trusty wiggle warts.The hot colors have been: for silvers we use 1/2oz chrome with a blue back and orange throat and for steelhead we use cerise in 1/2oz and cerise and chrome flakes(Reba McIntyre)in 1/2oz.good luck,lester p.s. I have seen more sivers and steelhead caught on Blue Pirate Mag Warts then any other color in the Mag Wart series

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1060 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |