LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101879 - 12/24/00 12:57 PM John Day Pool???
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Does anyone out there fish John Day Pool?
What are some of the most productive times/dates and some of the more popular techniques?
I've done the jig/shrimp deal of the bank, but it was a few years ago.
Does anyone troll plugs, or is pretty much just a bait/float deal???
Thanks.

#101880 - 12/24/00 09:36 PM Re: John Day Pool???
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima Wa. U.S.A.
John Day pool has been sporatic at best. So far it's been a real let down. I've been fishing most of the state lately (except the o.p.) and really haven't found any river thats been hot. I'm not saying there isn't any, just I haven't found any. Thinking about just waitng for springers. Happy Holidays. Jim Marquis

#101881 - 12/25/00 03:16 AM Re: John Day Pool???
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Hey Huntar,

You know, from my experience, fishing the McNary pool, this time of year is a bit of a slump. Lots of fish are in the pool for sure, simply milling around and waiting for water temps to rise. As we begin to get a change in weather, you will begin to see some fish being caught and counts go up at the dams. You can catch them now, it's just gonna be a bit slow. I wouldn't wait, shoot there are a million great places to fish not far from you. If you want a great opportunity head for the Grande Ronde outside of Clarkston, maybe spend a day on the Clearwater while your at it. All of the pools in the lower snake can be good this time of year as well, have friends that have been catching them above Little Goose almost every weekend....bobber and shrimp fishing in the nav lock. The Touchet, Tucannon, and Walla Walla are all very good at times too....muddy at the moment. How about the John Day? Wow, great fishing. I guess my point is that steelheading is almost always slow at best, that's what makes it so great, an endless challenge. Happy Holidays to you and great fishing.

jed ><>

#101882 - 12/25/00 08:05 PM Re: John Day Pool???
Dino Offline
Smolt

Loc: Walla Walla,WA
Riverman!

Keep a lid on the little streams you live near. They are crowded enough, and trespassing is a problem already. Next time use e-mail.

Dang, do you want to see displaced wet-siders tromping our lovely country side?

:P

[This message has been edited by Dino (edited 12-25-2000).]

#101883 - 12/25/00 09:02 PM Re: John Day Pool???
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Dino,

I have always felt be it elk hunting spots or steelheading haunts that general vicinity information is acceptable and polite to offer to others. Lets face it, if a "wet-sider" is willing to load all is gear, forego considerable expense, and haul himself clear the "H" over here for a "chance" at one or two bites over a weekend, then more power to him. I have found that there are many "wet-siders" on this forum that would provide me with the same courtesy on their turf. Happy Angling.

jed

#101884 - 12/25/00 11:11 PM Re: John Day Pool???
Dino Offline
Smolt

I was afraid of this...I was kidding

I am from the wet-side anyway...grew up in the toilet known as Renton. If folks from the wet-side want to come over here...how can I complain..I did it

#101885 - 12/26/00 01:11 AM Re: John Day Pool???
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Dino,

Yikes, Renton? I sometimes wish that I lived closer to the coastal streams but for the most part enjoy the desert that we live in. It would be nice though to be closer to those small river fall chinook, wow. I have probably run into you on the river at some time or another. Anyway, perhaps we could get together sometime for a drift. The springer run on the Umatilla is supposed to be great this year. Take care.

jed

#101886 - 12/28/00 11:46 PM Re: John Day Pool???
nickel chrome Offline
Alevin

Loc: seattle,wa.
Hey river man, i heard the fishing this spring was going to be the best in awhile. and last year the u-my got what 15,000? Me and my buddy both got 20lb springers the one weekend we went. Hey do i know you by chance, my name is martin and i went to bmcc last year.also, i'm looking for a fishing buddy in eastern oregon. if you'd like to drop the line sometime that would be great, i go to school in la grande now. my email is martin7bb@iname.com. later man.

#101887 - 12/29/00 01:34 AM Re: John Day Pool???
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Thanks for the info. I'm farmiliar with most of the "small spots" mentioned, I do some work in Walla Walla a couple days each month.
Duck in the fog, Jim, if your interested in going fishing some time, your cousin Trent can put you in touch with me - I work in in one of his newer buildings at Creekside. The one in the back, not the dental office.
-Jack S.

#101888 - 12/31/00 08:11 PM Re: John Day Pool???
Dino Offline
Smolt

I like the way you think Jed. I am out fo business so to speak for a while except for the streams near my house, but I would love to come and chase springers with you...I got nada last year on the Umatilla...I didn't time things very well (or fish it that much).

My e-mail is dino@walla2.com drop me a note, and we can chat about lip ripping opportunities

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |