Kwikfish Custom Painting

Posted by: VHawk.

Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/24/06 08:42 AM

A long time ago, in a beautiful forest by a lake, a young man gave his shopping list to his errand girl. The list was to be filled at a SportCo in a far off hamlet near the sea, called Fife. Magic was to be made with these special lures, these Kwikfish. But very specific colors were needed. Unfortunately the shopkeeper was desirous of unloading on the unknowing lass, all the most hideous horse crap colors which he could not otherwise sell. These colors awoke memories of seagull vomit, and dried rat turds.

Powerful? Yes. But not exactly what the fine young lad was hoping for...

So what I'm trying to say is, has anybody here ever tried airbrushing their own custom paint jobs on the Kwikies? I came into owning some horrid colored kwikies and it got me thinking about repainting them.

I'm close to buying an airbrush and compressor. Just curious what kind of expertise is already out there. Seems silly to run around town looking for that perfect pattern when a person could just spray their own.
Posted by: Mooch

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/24/06 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by VHawk:
I'm close to buying an airbrush and compressor.
Vince,

First of all, don't you realize it would be far cheaper to toss the lame kwickies in the trash and buy all new cool kwickies at full retail than to go this route?

Ahh, but what am I thinking? Of course you do.

Let's see now, you've been married, what?, a month now and already you're going to these great lengths to justify your "need" for MORE TOOLS. Pitiful my man. Is fishing that slow even for you? I thought you of all people knew that colors caught fisherman not fish.

It would have been so much easier if you had just taken a poll to see how many guys think you DESERVE some new tools. That way you could just go back to the little lady and say, "looky here honey, the board boys think I ought to get a new compressor too".

Vince, you know "da boys" are always there for ya, but man you are coming dangerously close to blaming your wife for this sad state of affairs. And believe me, none of us want to see you make that age old mistake. Ya gotta getta grip man. What's next a chainsaw for your balsa wood poppers?

Oh, btw, you might want to check with Doc or Stam on airbrush techniques. wink
Posted by: CraigO

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/24/06 10:42 AM

I haven't used a airbrush, but I have used some Dicknite paint on them with success. I know a guide on the Skykomish that has air brushed them and had success. Something new never hurts.
Posted by: B-RUN STEELY

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/24/06 10:47 AM

Why not just take them back and get what you want. Its not like you could not "see" that they were junk and opened them anyway ??

On another note, ever been out in the boat and had someone "insist" on putting on something that you perceive to be a piece of crap, then proceed to go like 4 for 4 in two hours on that " piece of junk" ???
Posted by: Kerry

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/24/06 11:40 AM

I use an air brush all the time and I will paint what ever you want for free just e mail me or call me and I will hook you up.
Kerry
Posted by: fishforlife

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/24/06 06:47 PM

man that sounds cool just think of the colors u could come up with
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/24/06 07:05 PM

Man, I wish I was good with Photoshop because I can think of some hilarious prototypes...

The George W. model - looks OK but is always facing the wrong direction, snagging up, and blaming Clinton when it fails to catch fish

The Mingo model - Big and yummy (and they are only sold by the pair).

The Big Stick model - small, with prominent veins and a purple head

-Kaiser D.

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 08:36 AM

Mooch,

It's not about what's cheaper. If I wanted to save money I'd quit fishing. This is an opportunity to experiment, and try some new patterns that absolutely nobody else has. Same reason I spent 4 hours cutting 10 square feet of 6 foot high blackberry bushes at the outlet to Capitol Lake...to go where no man has gone before.

Now on a per hour basis I don't think I am anymore succesful than the next guy on this board; but I have more fun per fish than most, with part of that coming from trying new stuff. Its exciting. Not enough to make me pee my pants, but sometimes damm close.

And as far as justifying anything to my wife, it's not anything I'll need to worry about. When I mentioned buying an airbrush and compressor she said "Thats another good reason why we need a house with a big work shed." She wants the work shed so she can start wrapping rods as well. Yes, that is a good woman. She is fun to fish with as well. That's why I married her.

Thanks Mooch, I'll check with both Doc and Stam.

VHawk
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 08:44 AM

"The Mingo model - Big and yummy (and they are only sold by the pair)."

Ain't that the truth

eek

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 09:36 AM

Alright then, Vince. I'll leave you to your own devices. wink

I'm just glad you figured this out BEFORE you got married. laugh
Quote:
It's not about what's cheaper.
But if you ever run out of "fun" stuff to do, I've always got a few acres that need mowing and a barn to paint. smile
Posted by: Fishinnut

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 10:36 AM

Sure, Paint my own lures all of the time. In fact I cannot find spoons as big as I like so I even make my own sometimes. I have a certain ocean spoon I can never find in the colors I want so I have to paint them myself. i usually order a dozen att a time. Most of the time friends are not catching so I give them a pair and starts depleting my inventory pretty quick.

Actually becomes a lot of fun.
Posted by: Sol

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Vhawk:
Quote:
She is fun to fish with as well. That's why I married her.
Word on the street is, she's going to catch more fish than you FOREVER. laugh
Posted by: TBird

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 12:59 PM

rofl rofl
Posted by: DiverX

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 01:30 PM

Vince,

I suggest you start off with the airbrush they sell for those plastic models. They use cans of propellant instead of a compressor. They will get you through a few lures. If you decide this is too wimpy and you have more stuff that needs airbrush work, go to a compressor setup. Here is a link.
Model Airbrush Kit

Later.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 04:22 PM

Quote:
DanS: Still working on getting proper action under a float.
I deserved that. laugh

Damn things pull the float under all the time.....so there I am looking up, seeing no float, setting the hook on a fish that isn't there, looking like a jackass.

I'm crafting a float out of a Nerf football to take care of that problem. wink
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 05:55 PM

Could be a new business on the board if you got blank Kwikfish and started airbrushing them and making custom Kwikfish. You could probably sell them off the board to members
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 07:12 PM

Stam, that was funny. To add insult to injury, the Salmo g. model only works when hung off a Spey rod and given a bait wrap. Ugh! Feel so dirty; must bathe.
Posted by: jandlfishingguide

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 07:30 PM

Vince what colors are they??????? Might want to take them off your hands. Let me know?

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fish Hunter 07:
Could be a new business on the board if you got blank Kwikfish and started airbrushing them and making custom Kwikfish. You could probably sell them off the board to members
I learned the hard way how to get "blank" plugs. Its simple really. Get a big box of plugs that you feel need washing up a bit.. then just run them through the dish washer. The metallic colored ones will now be white plastic, there will be little flecks of paint all over the dish washer and your wife will call you a dumb ass.

I know this to be true

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 09:08 PM

Quote:
Word on the street is, she's going to catch more fish than you FOREVER.
Ya'll are spending too much time on Herb Street.
I'd brag about Sunday's run, but I think I'm in trouble for letting all the fish go.

DiverX,

Thanks for the link. I think that might be the way to get my feet, fingers, floor, and maybe my lures wet with paint. I appreciate the info. Anything that saves me a few bucks, or time, or comfort is appreciated. I still thank Todd everytime it rains.

B-Run,

Damm that is funny. Even funnier is that I've run my kwikies in the dishwasher. I didn't know the metal ones would strip. Thanks for saving me from being called a dumbass.

VHawk

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 09:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for saving me from being called a dumbass.
It's going to take more than B-RUN's advice to save you now.

You're married, and now you're a dumbass regardless of any evidentiary actions.

Hope this helps. laugh

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 09:46 PM

You know KK she carries around a bunch of reasons to call me a dumb ass like a bag of golf clubs. How about this time ?? little PW... O.K.. WHAT ABOUT THAT TIME ?? 5 IRON.. and for real spankings she will pull out the three wood or maybe if she is really pissed the driver.

Never ask what I did for those last two. I 'm not sayin
Posted by: jandlfishingguide

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 11:35 PM

Thought this was a post about painting kwikies? Some of you guys need to go fishing cause you get way off the subject, lack of river water running through your veins.

Can we just stick to the topic?
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 11:47 PM

Kwik fish color don't matter if they run right and your wrapping them with a good smelling fresh fish...

You shouldn't be trying to make 2+2 = 12... rofl

I have a couple others that I haven't photo'd that are white/pink and silver/orange/chartruese that have hooked almost as many as these two.. One thing they all have in common is they don't have RATTLES....

Question for ya.. Should I repaint these or leave them as is. As you can see they've never caught fish before! Right Parker? laugh

Anyone have any 1988-1993 kwikies they want to sell, that's when they used to make them right? They had the option for no rattles and a little quality control...

Keith eek
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/25/06 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jandlfishingguide:
Thought this was a post about painting kwikies? Some of you guys need to go fishing cause you get way off the subject, lack of river water running through your veins.

Oh god. Forum control nazi

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/26/06 12:46 AM

Quote:
Apparently, only some of us can. Stam, for instance, gets a blue star for his contribution.

I, on the other hand, have added nothing useful, so I get no star.

wink

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/26/06 04:18 AM

Thats right, Stam gets a big yellow star. Dan, you get a scratch and sniff with hairs stuck to the adhesive.

Stlhdr,

I think your argument is valid, and falls under the same heading as "Belly lint versus Angora dubbing". Both catch fish, but snobbery requires attention to aesthetics.

Just kidding. Its about having fun.
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/26/06 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:
I use an air brush all the time and I will paint what ever you want for free just e mail me or call me and I will hook you up.
Kerry
Hey Kerry, how 'bout one like this.... I call it Dick Tracey :

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/26/06 04:43 AM

Doc that is sweet. Did you paint that yourself?

How about I bring over some blanks, and some home brew and go hawg wild with your airbrush.
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/26/06 05:07 AM

My design, but I'm afraid it's not my handiwork. The only thing I paint these days is corneas and conjunctival blebs with fluorescein dye. No airbrush required.

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/26/06 08:46 AM

Quote:
Both catch fish, but snobbery requires attention to aesthetics.

Are we talking about Parker and Sol again? 'Cause I thought we were going to try and stay on topic this time? laugh

Just kidding. It is about having fun.

Right Vince?
Posted by: Kerry

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/26/06 09:49 AM

Hey Doc try the BLOOD CLOT paint it blood red then mist black over top so you can just see the red Kerry
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting - 10/26/06 11:49 AM

Quote:
Thats right, Stam gets a big yellow star. Dan, you get a scratch and sniff with hairs stuck to the adhesive.

Stlhdr,

I think your argument is valid, and falls under the same heading as "Belly lint versus Angora dubbing". Both catch fish, but snobbery requires attention to aesthetics.

You are right... I'm sorry! I do have lots of kwikfish that don't catch. Perhaps if I change the color they will! wink :p

I love the color of that one Doc had done, that's a doozy!!

Keith laugh