Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis

Posted by: VHawk.

Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 10:19 PM

Yeaaaa I'm done. Well done for now. I'm intending on doing this again but with more samples, a pulley and crank system, and having Jess mark the lines so I test them blind. I'll wait till I get more samples. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or comments on how the results might have practical applications....fire away. Otherwise scroll down for my address. Send me more line samples.

Sorry for the scientific paper format. It just seemed natural considering all the stats.

5 pages of results in my little notebook. Got a bit tedious at the end, but I'm glad I did it.

A Home Test of '10 pound test' Monofilament and Mono Hybrid Fishing lines For Breaking Strength, and Retained Strength Post-Failure.

VHawk

ABSTRACT

This line study was done in order to compare the relative strength of nylon, and nylon hybrid fishing lines; As well as the capacity of those lines to retain strength after being stretched to failure. The experiment involved tying each end of a 36 inch section of line, rated as "10 pound test", to an 8/0 trolling hook, using a Palomar knot, one hook was attached to a static point, the other hook was attached to a hand held/hand pulled digital scale. Lines were pulled until failure, highest recorded weight prior to line failure was recorded. Test repeated with longest sample of failed line in order to test retained strength. Test was repeated 5 times per line, with lowest result being tossed out. In general, lines with larger diameters, were able to tolerate greater tension. Initial diameters had no effect on retained strength. Although not objectively measured, fluorocarbon/mono hybrid lines seemed to have the least amount of stretch, and the lower diameter lines seemed to have the greatest amount of stretch. Further experiments should include improving the mechanism by which tension is applied to the lines, increases in number of tests in order to a more accurate overall result, and measurement of elasticity.

INTRODUCTION

These tests were conducted to provide some objective data to compare some of the multitude of fishing lines available to the modern angler. Although other consumptive outdoor activities are rigorous in the testing of their equipment, i.e. self loading hunters, bowhunters, there is little nonbiased information available comparing equivalent pound test lines. This experiment provides as starting point for both data collection, as well as a starting point for development of a methodology that is affordable, and of practical use in a private home, or garage.

METHODS

Materials:

20 foot sections of line, marked as "10 pound test", were obtained from Verles Marine Supply in Shelton (Tell them thanks), and Sportsmen Warehouse in Lacey. A new Lymann stainless steel dial caliper, 0.001" was used to measure line diameters. A new Rapala hand held digital scale, 50 pound capacity was used to measure tensions. 2 double 8/0 stainless steel trolling hooks were used to attach the tag ends of the line. Generic distilled water was used to soak lines prior to testing.

Procedure:

36 inch section of lines were measured by caliper for actual diameter at each tag end, and center of segment. Results were averaged for reported result. The lines were then individually soaked for 45 minutes in distilled water. Distilled water being used to avoid problems with cholorine affecting the lines. Lines were then tied using a Palomar knot as shown in Practical Fishing Knots II to each of the hooks. One hook was attached to a chair leg, the other was attached to the hook on the scale. The scale was then pulled, rate of tension was increased by about one pound for each 3 second count, constant observation of meter was made until line broke. Highest reading was recorded. Longest section of line was retrieved, 4 inches off broken tag end was clipped, line retied to hook, and procedure repeated. This was done 5 times for each line. Lowest result dropped.

RESULTS

In order to compare relative strength of lines with different diameters, line diameter was multiplied by 1000, and then divided by avg breaking strength.
The percentage represents how much strength the line retained after it was pulled to breaking point.

"10 pound Test"......Lbs per 0.001"................Lbs per 0.001
..........................Fresh Line.....................Fatigued Line

P Line Xtra....................1.23........................1.22......98%
Stren xtra.....................1.17........................1.06......90%
Sufix Elite.....................1.12........................0.94......84%
P Line Floroclear..............1.05.......................1.04.......99%
Maxima Cham.................1.00........................0.56.......56%
Trilene Big Game HiVis.......1.05.......................0.85.......84%
Stren Magnathin...............0.97.......................0.77.......79%
Yozuri Clear....................0.95.......................0.85.......89%
Izorline xxx HiVis Copolymer.0.94......................0.76........81%
Maxima UG....................0.93.......................0.64........70%
Maxima HiVis..................0.92.......................0.78........78%
Trilene Xtra....................0.91.......................0.72........80%
PLine CFX Fluoro..............0.89........................0.75.......84%
Trilene.........................0.88........................0.64........73%
Vanish Fluorocarbon..........0.88.......................0.51........58%
Sufix Seige....................0.83........................0.71.......86%
P Line..........................0.72.......................0.62........84%

Line Brand[2] ..........Avg Break strength......AVg Fatigue Strength
Rated"10 Pound Test"

P Line CFX Fluro ............10.7 lbs.............9 lbs
P Line Floroclear ............11.6 lbs ............11.5 lbs
P Line Xtra....................17.3 lbs............ 17.1 lbs
P Line standard............. 8.1 lbs.............. 6.8 lbs

Sufix Seige....................10 lbs...............8.6 lbs
Sufix Elite.....................13.5 lbs............11.3 lbs

Maxima HiVis.................13 lbs...............11 lbs
Maxima Chameleon..........14 lbs................7.9 lbs
Maxima Ultragreen...........13.7lbs..............9 lbs

Trilene.........................9.6 Lbs.............. 7 lbs
Trilene XT.....................10 lbs.................8lbs
Trilene Big Game HiVis......13.6lbs...............10.3

Vanish Fluorocarbon...........9.6 lbs..............5.6 lbs
Stren xtra strong..............14lbs................12.7 lbs
Izorline xxx Hi Vis copolymer..12.7 lbs...........10.3 lbs
Stren Magnathin...............9.7 lbs...............7.7lbs
Yozuri hybrid clear............11.5 lbs..............10.2 lbs

Rated "10 Pound Test"......Stated Diameter........Actual Diameter

P Line Flurocarbon...........none listed.....0.012
P Line Floroclear.............none listed.....0.011
P Line Xtra....................none listed.....0.014
P Line standard ....................0.011.....0.011

Sufix Seige..........................0.012....0.012
Sufix Elite...........................0.012.....0.012

Maxima HiVis......................0.012.....0.014
Maxima Chameleon...............0.012.....0.014
Maxima Ultragreen................0.012.....0.014

Trilene .............................0.011.....0.011
Trilene XT..........................0.011....0.011
Trilene Big Game HiVis...........0.011.....0.0135

Vanish Fluorocarbon..............0.011.....0.011
Stren xtra strong.................0.013....0.012
Izorline xxx Hi Vis copolymer...none listed....0.012
Stren Magnathin .................0.010.....0.010
Yozuri hybrid clear................0.012.....0.012

Discussion

The author fully expects some controversy surrounding the results of testing. Especially since a brand with a cultish following did not stand out from the crowd. What readers should consider before reading any further is this; line strength is not the only important characteristic of a quality fishing line.

Also the author recognizes the limitations of such small sample sizes. A larger run of sample testing was not practical since no previous foundational experience existed.

Another limitation that came into consideration after testing started, was whether different batches of line of the same type and brand, would give different results.

Despite the limitations of this first run of data collection, some valuable insights were gained. One was the immediate superiority of the Palomar knot over the double clinch knot, and the Trilene knot. Although not listed above, data was collected regarding whether lines failed at midpoint or at knot, with the Palomar knot midpoint breaks consisting of about 85% of the samples. Using the other two knots, line failure occurred primarily at the point of the knot.

Another valuable insight was how significant the loss of strength was in line that had been strained to failure. In consideration of the fact that anglers frequently pull to near failure, 20-30 feet of mainline while trying to free snagged terminal gear, the need to trim off weakened line needs to be considered, regardless of whether the line feels abraided.

During testing it became apparent that the elastic characteristics of lines probably plays an important role in whether fish are able to force line failure. Stretch probably favors the lighter diameter lines, and serves the same function as a long, slow action, fishing rod. Low stretch lines also have their particular applications, such as deep jigging, or trolling.

And finally, as evidenced by the fact that there was such a wide variance among lines which were all marketed as "10 pound test", it was not surprising that some lines were as much as 19% thicker than the stated diameter. Maxima lines, although comparing well if one looked only at avg breaking strength, dropped down in the ratings because the actual measured diameters ran 0.014 rather than the 0.012 which was listed. If one were to look for other brands at the diameter of 0.014, we'd be testing 12 or 14 pound lines.

CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS

Sample sizes may be too small to draw firm conclusions as to relative strength, however some lines stood out with their consistent above average performance. Experienced anglers may find that in order to maximize performance, they may need to familiarize themselves with several lines. No single brand and model of line will outperform in all applications. More novice anglers may find this information useful as a starting point in choosing a quality fishing line.

The author considers the performance of these lines to be superior at least in the characteristic of line strength and the ability to keep that strength after a big fish, or big snag has given it a good stretching.

Sufix Elite.....................1.12........................0.94......84%
P Line Floroclear..............1.05.......................1.04.......99%

If your interested in seeing these lines more rigoursly tested using a fixed pulley, and scale, and also testing of different lines not sampled here, please send 60 foot line samples (or filler spools) to:

Vince Hawkins
7411 Fairview RD SW #23
Olympia, WA 98512

Please include brand and model, date of purchase.

Hope you all found something useful.

VHawk

Posted by: Hog Daddy

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* - 03/01/07 10:24 PM

Post deleted by Big_Daddy

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* - 03/01/07 10:34 PM

Post deleted by VHawk
Posted by: Hog Daddy

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* - 03/01/07 10:45 PM

Post deleted by Big_Daddy
Posted by: cowlitzkiller

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 10:49 PM

I'll second that.....He is driving me nuts
Posted by: cowlitzkiller

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 10:52 PM

Vhawk ...this guy dont know sH--T , i know how long that had to take and feel the info is very informitive and think it will help alot of guys decide on a new product my self included.. thanks
Posted by: John Lee Hookum

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 10:52 PM

Good job VHawk! Your research is some what comparable to the findings in the magazine test. The magazine included a bit more detail, but your results are comparable. I see both P-line and Stren at the top. The abasion test showed Stren out performing the field. As soon as I find the magazine article I will share the results I mention.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 10:54 PM

As a Maxima Chameleon user for over 30 years, I can see I need to do 2 things. Learn the Palomar knot. Try some of the brands that did better in your tests.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 10:55 PM

Thanks CW and JL Hookum.

If you or anybody can find some other test results I'd like to see them. I can usually google stuff like that up, but could find anything this time around.

I should have added in the report, that if your not having trouble breaking off fish, I'd recommend not making any major changes regardless of brand. I would recommend trying out the Sufix Elite on your spinning reels though. At least that's my own plan, its a very soft, limp line which is impressive considering its strength.

My favorite line only did so-so. It did do well on retained strength, which is important to me since I pitch right into logjams all the time. Retained strength is also important to squirrel hunters. If your yanking on your line all day, you'll want something that'll still have some strength when that last huge squirrel bites.

VHawk

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 10:55 PM

Parker, Jerry, BOB...please do something to rid us of this [petunias]...please.

VInce: AWESOME effort, and I am sure that is worthy of publication...somewhere! I for one appreciate the scientific approach and methodology used in the testing, as it lends great credibility to the resulting data.

Superb!

Mike
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 11:03 PM

Vince,
Nice job. You confirmed one thing that I found out already out on the water, Berkley Vanish is crap. One trip and that stuff ended up in the trash.
Thanks for sharing,
Brian
Posted by: nookie dreamin'

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 11:05 PM

Outstanding! Now I know what NOT to buy! Good work Vhawk.
How long did it it take for all that work?
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 11:13 PM

I'll second jake's comment, and add that PLine Flourclear is the shiat in low clear/summertime water, i filled up my float rod with it this summer and was beyond impressed with its performance
Posted by: Stalmass

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 11:13 PM

Vhawk, great stuff and thanks. I knew there was a reason I have been very fond of Pline Xtr. I am a little suprised that the Yozuri didn't come out higher on the list. I use it a lot as well and have had nothing but good results. Thanks again for this info.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 11:14 PM

Including driving around town picking up samples, recording results, doing the math and doing the write up, it probably took me 12 hours.

Next round will probably take 20 hours, spread out over a month. I'd like to take at least 10 runs per sample, not including the 10 runs on the broken pieces. Each line I want to test would be a minimum of 30 knots than. Thats about 600 knots tied, in order to test 20 different lines. I'm thinking the testing will include at least 25 different lines.

The second test would be worthy of submitting to one of the fishing rags.
Posted by: Keta

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 11:40 PM

Very interesting. I haven't tried a new line in quite some time, might pick up a spool of that P line. A line I would like to see tested is Ironsilk. My experience with it was that it failed miserably in fatigued strength area. Maybe I will send you a sample.

Gotta hand it to Hog Daddy, He's the first person I've seen return here after being banned! Ain't that special.......
Posted by: nookie dreamin'

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 11:42 PM

We,(and I think i can speak for all of us on this board) would like to inform you that you, in light of your exhaustive studies regarding line strength, resistance to abrasion, and flexibility, do hereby nominate you for the first ever "NOBEL FISH PRIZE"! Now take some time to go fishing!
Posted by: OPfisher

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/01/07 11:58 PM

vince- You have way too much time on your hands, but that said, its a pretty sweet report.:)
Nice work!
Posted by: ClearCreek

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 12:15 AM

Vhawk:
I, too, appreciate your time and effort. Many thanks!!

Are you going to come up with a list of lines you would like to test the next time? This may help you get samples.

Thanks again,

ClearCreek
Posted by: Starfish

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 12:21 AM

Vince, you rock. That's one of the coolest series of posts I've seen on an internet site and your efforts and thought are appreciated.

Have you thought about how to objectively test abrasion resistance? I've used about a third of those lines (and will definitely try a few more now that I see the results) and have come to some personal conclusions about which lines hold up best under field conditions. IMHO the abrasion resistance becomes pretty important if you're doing a lot of salmon fishing over the course of several weeks with the same gear - especially if using a downrigger.

I really am impressed with the results on fatigued line. That's great information.

My last observation is a nit... it was pretty easy to figure out that all of the lines you tested were 10 lb test rated, and I believe I recall you stating that earlier but can't find it in the writeup. Probably it's right in front of my nose but it might not hurt to include it in the table of results. One thing I've experienced is that some brands excel at certain pound test ratings. The same brand might be a really lousy performer at other ratings. I know it's a lot of extra work but someday I'd sure love to see some tests of 12, 20 or 25 lb stuff... I'll start saving samples in case you decide to branch out.

And of course if you ever decide to test some braids... another whole bunch of cool data!

Thanks again for doing this.
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 12:24 AM

Thanks a bunch Vince.

I, alike others, appreciate your contributions to this board. Your topics are always the best.

Thanks again
Posted by: HookedUp

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 12:38 AM

vhawk
Dude, I cant believe you busted out a full on abstract. Bravo! Havent seen that since I left the confines of a soft science pursuit back at the university. Now I mostly cracker around the rivers and screw off trying to pay attention at work...but I have changed my line aspirations already....

seriously, this is above and beyond... Id like to fish with you sometime and talk about it...and broads and beer too..if youre able, you know, now that youre married and all.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 12:56 AM

Thanks Vince... That gives me a little more confidence in trying some of the lines mentioned!

Keith

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 01:03 AM

Hooked up,

I was worried the format might scare people off. Not sure why I was worried about that and not about the hundred other freaky things I do on a daily basis.

Starfish....Holy Moly I didn't mention what the lines were rated in the write up. I guess that's why scientific papers shouldn't be written after more than 2 beers. Your right, they were all 10 pound test.

The other areas of interest you mentioned, especially how lines perform at various diameters, were considered. I started thinking about how stretch, diameter, and breaking strength are related, and how I might have found a REAL WORLD application of calculas.

Thanks to everybody for your interest. The guys at SportCo really did try and make me feel like a dumbazz for "wasting my time". If your in Lacey, and shopping Sportsmen Warehouse, let Jason Black the fishing manager know that his contribution is appreciated. He had one of his guys cutting me samples for 30 minutes.

And also, if your heading up HWY 101 just past Little Creek Casino, stop into Verles Boat Shop. Pick up some gear and tell Ron thanks as well for helping me out.

And I'll accept any line samples but prefer to stick to 10 pound test for anything I do this year.

VHawk
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 01:13 AM

Vince, to put it quite succinctly..................

YOU DA MAN!!!!!!

C/22
Posted by: Ron@Verles

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 01:15 AM

Great job Vince. I was really interrested to see how some of those lines performed although I do not use any of them lol. Let me know when you are going to do this again and I will try to get you some different lines. There are a couple that I use (did not have in ten lb. or I would have donated them as well) that I am very interested to see how they hold up. Again, awesome job! And an abstract to boot. We really need to go fishing together. Maybe I'll see you on the water this weekend at the derby. I'll be in a 16' green lund with a big guy named Chris. Tight lines, Ron
Posted by: RiverMan

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 01:40 AM

Great job and thank you for sharing. I found the test done on strength after breaking to be very interesting. The test that came out several years back in the saltwater mag also tested abrasion resistence. They would pull the line to a given tension and then a machine would scrape across the line until it broke. As I recall Stren clear blue came out on top for "abrasion resistence".

I also recall that a suffix mono came out near or at the top of the test and when I tried the stuff it broke like thread! lol. I have no idea what happened there....maybe I got a bad batch.

I'm not familiar with all of the lines......I guess they are all monos? t would also be good to see the same test done on braids.

RM
Posted by: John B

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 01:45 AM

Thank you for constructing an objective test and then creating such a professional report explaining the results.

I think in earlier posts you or someone else mentioned that there is no standard testing by the manufacturers so we are left to rely on them or now view your great results.

By way of comparison a group in Europe, EFFTX, tried to get EU line manufacturers to submit to standard testing and they all refused or found ways to wiggle out, etc and the whole thing fell apart over the past year. They reported on the few who did submit their lines and most did not perform as well as their rated strengths.

Once again, many thanks for the great research project!

Your independent test is very much appreciated.
Posted by: bushbear

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 01:56 AM

Great job, Vince
Posted by: steelhd101

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 01:57 AM

WTG Vince. Thank you very much for the time and effort that you put into this test. I am curious as to why you would put forth this effort on 10# test as opposed to 12 or 15. I know that you salmon fish quite a bit. In rivers too. Do you use 10# test much? Are you thinking leader material? I use 8 # leader pretty regular (unless I am fishing for salmon in rivers) but 12 or 15 usually as mainline. I have a brand new spool of 15# izorwire for when you wish to test something like that. Thanks again. Your effort is very interesting & much appreciated here.
Posted by: Pisco Sicko

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 02:14 AM

Nice job, Vince. I wouldn't hesitate to submit that for publication, just as it is.

I also would be interested in results on some of the braids, and would send you samples, except that all the braids I have are in higher test.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 02:20 AM

Sick, man. Sick.

You are ripe to be bribed by a line company any day now.

I will certainly be trying a couple of lines I wouldn't have otherwise.
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 03:25 AM

Vince! That was awesome!!

I can see that I need to pay more attention to my line choice(s)!

I've never been a huge fan of the palomar knot except for things like spoons and spinners, but I may have to revisit my thinking there, as well.

Great Job! \:\)

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 09:04 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverMan

I also recall that a suffix mono came out near or at the top of the test and when I tried the stuff it broke like thread! lol. I have no idea what happened there....maybe I got a bad batch.

I'm not familiar with all of the lines......I guess they are all monos? t would also be good to see the same test done on braids.

RM

It makes a difference which type of Sufix you use. Sufix Seige tested near the very bottom. Sufix Elite however tested right up near the top. I was impressed with its low line memory, softness.

Same with the PLine. The standard line they make tested at the very bottom.

All the brands tested were monofilament.

I don't use braided lines enough to know what to focus in on for testing. Seems that they all are very very strong for their diameters. Differences being on how they lay on the spool, how they cast, and how they hold a knot.

Vhawk
Posted by: r2fishn

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 09:24 AM

nice work vince and I second nookies nomination
Posted by: One Way

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 10:34 AM

Hey vince very interesting results, as a result I am may try new lines that I have always skipped over. This will be a dramatic departure for me ,and Im not sure if I can bring myself to do it, Maxima has been my brand for 20 years. I think you should talk to the local vendors about reel testing. I would like to be first in line for the reels that would become available as soon as testing is finished...... and then rods ,you are going places
Posted by: steeliefreak

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: nookie dreamin'
We,(and I think i can speak for all of us on this board) would like to inform you that you, in light of your exhaustive studies regarding line strength, resistance to abrasion, and flexibility, do hereby nominate you for the first ever "NOBEL FISH PRIZE"! Now take some time to go fishing!

Thanks Vince, even though I think you are wrong. ;\) My line is the best, you know nothing. ;\)
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 10:53 AM

I have always believed Maxima is overrated. Sure it’s strong. Unless you consider that their 10 lb lines are really 13-14. It bugs me that manufacturers advertise their 10 lb line is stronger than someone else’s. Isn't 10 lb line supposed to break at about 10 lbs.? Or said in another way you can't get 10 lbs of shait in a 5 lb bag.

Maybe I can make a .25 diameter line that breaks at 40 lbs strain ands call it the worlds' strongest 10 lb line!

A fair comparison would seem to be 10 lb Maxima Ultragreen to another brands 14 pound line.

I think Vince’s teats are awesome. It would be great if we could also get info on memory and abrasion resistance.
Posted by: Snake Pliskin

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 11:06 AM

Good work Vince. With all that analytic experience you should be helping Seattle figure out the feasibility of the "viaduct" replacement. They could use your help.

With all that said though, I'll keep using Maxima UG.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

I think Vince’s teats are awesome. It would be great if we could also get info on memory and abrasion resistance.

You should see me in a wonder bra.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 11:11 AM

Aw Vince. You are making me blush! I kope I can shake that image soon. Now if we only knew more about your memory and abrasion resistance . . .

Snake: Remember when this thread strted I said many guys don't care about facts - they will stick with what they always use. Thanks for prooving me right.
Posted by: tcman

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 11:28 AM

Bro-sierre? Great work, VHawk. You confirmed what I knew about my line, but will try others. What's great about what you did is you're sponsored by "NO ONE". ...... You suppose if I go around to all the breweries and ask for a sample in the name of research they'd comply?

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 11:28 AM

Dave,

I had the same impression, but actually have been surprised/impressed at the number of cultists who were willing to give something new a try. And yes, there will be some folks who refuse to even try something new, regardless of any evidence.

Snake,

I've said if you don't have problems with breakoff now, don't make any big changes. But I would recommend spooling up a spare baitcaster with PLine xtra, and a spare Spinning outfit with Sufix Elite.

I do highly recommend the use of the palomar knot when possible. I was really surprised at how much better it was versus the Trilene knot, and double clinch.

The Stren xtra is also a good line, but a bit stiffer than the Elite. Probably just as good on a baitcaster though as anything else.

Vhawk
Posted by: Snake Pliskin

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 11:45 AM

Thanks Vince for the tip on the Elite, I'll probably give that a try. But for my level wind...Max UG, just feels like an old friend. I've always use the "improved double clinch" knot and never break at the knot. I've seen guys try new knots and on their first cast......bye bye lure. It also could have been because they had too many Kokanees.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 11:52 AM

Snake: I resemble that remark!

I do know what you mean about a certain line that you are comfortable with.

As far as line and preferences it can be a personal thing. My friend Clint, who is one of the best anglers I know, absolutely loves Stren Clear Blue Fluorescent. I try to bring him some whenever go up there, as it's hard to find in B.C. Another friend down here absolutely hates the stuff. Go figure?

As far as knots the Palomar is tops. The only problem is trying to tie it when using a big lure or long leader.
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 01:56 PM

VHawk you are a manchild !! I bet you can tie one kicka$$ palomar knot by now, eh?

Some surprises in there and some confirmations. Great work.

I'd suggest to the moderators in this joint to bookmark the first post in this thread. . .I'd wanna reference it many times in the future months/years.

fb
Posted by: Irie

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 02:31 PM

Thanks Vince! Appreciate the research. Next time I see ya I'll buy ya another beer or two.

Oh, has the Troll been banned yet?
Posted by: landcruiserwilly

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 02:45 PM

hey vince, nice work! if i may be so bold as to make a suggestion for round 2: see if you can get some IGFA class rated line. be curious to see how it stacks up to the ratings and would help to "calibrate" (maybe) your device. if, say a IGFA line @10# class broke at 12# on your device or similar, you could add a correction factor. just a thought.....

thanks for the info!

willy

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: landcruiserwilly
hey vince, nice work! if i may be so bold as to make a suggestion for round 2: see if you can get some IGFA class rated line. be curious to see how it stacks up to the ratings and would help to "calibrate" (maybe) your device. if, say a IGFA line @10# class broke at 12# on your device or similar, you could add a correction factor. just a thought.....

thanks for the info!

willy

Not just bold, but brilliant. I wish I had thought of that sooner. I'll be picking up some Seaguar, and if I can find it somewhere, IGFA rated line. Unless someone out there wants to send me some IGFA line. I'd love people to send me small filler spools of whatever
line they want tested. That way as my testing becomes more refined, I'll have samples to go back and retest.

Someone else mentioned to me that even the same line can vary from batch to batch. If I have 2 or 3 samples of the same line, that'll reduce the likelihood of that affecting the results.

I think the real standout was the palomar knot. I never really used it much because it just seemed that a knot so simple couldn't really be that strong. I was a fool. I still am, just now I'm a fool with a stronger knot.

And lastly, how come I don't have a rating for this thread yet? Thats really the only reason I did all this was for those little stars to show up on the topics list. Dang, defeated again.

VHawk

line samples can be sent to

Vince Hawkins
7411 Fairview RD SW #23
Olympia, WA

If your sending something other than a spool, please include full name of the line, when you purchased it, what test its rated at, and the stated diameter.

Thanks VHawk
Posted by: N W Panhandler

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 04:08 PM

VHawk, thank you for your efforts, i think we all will be seeing line a little differently. I definitly will be trying some new lines in the very near future. Seems like i will have to relearn the Palamor Knot as well. Oh well, like they say, anything to catch more fish. Your posts are almost always very well written, and usually contribute to the better good of this community. Again thank you.
Posted by: thefishnfool

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 04:24 PM

Vince-
One work....AWESOME!!! I have been using a couple of the lines mentioned in your study and have loved them. I have been using both the Pline Flouroclear, and xtrastrong for a while and have had no problems. I really feel like the xtra-strong stuff is tuffer than Maxima UG of any other line for the matter and your testing proved it. Thanks for all the time that you obviously put into this.
Tim
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 04:51 PM

Good job Vince.

Still only going to use UG - but I said that before you started. I'm just too lazy to change. \:\)
Posted by: bellinghamangler_1

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 05:48 PM

I just went out and bought some P-line xtra at the Kennewickd Sportsman's. I'm a fairly dyed in the wool Maxima cultist, however VHawks numbers have me convinced to give the P-Line a go.

I'll probably be sending in a sample of Ande, which is a cheap line that I have used with great success for years. I only use the stuff on species and populations that I don't feel will really test its breaking strength, however I've nailed a few nice steelhead in the 14 to 17 pound range on 12lb test line.

Thanks Vince, excellent work!

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 06:15 PM

If you haven't tried the Palomar knot, you need to do so. I've been using it for the past 6 years or so. A lot easier for my tired eyes to see and when my hands turns to claws due to cold temps I just tie a bigger loop. It makes life on the water a lot easier.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 07:00 PM

VHawk

I found the fishing magazine that mentioned earlier with the exclusive 20-Pound Line Test. The name of the magazine is "Sports Fishing", October 2001, article by Doug Olander. this link on has a portion of the article but worth a peek. I will provide details that the link don't cover as it is 9 pages in the magazine and it is well done.
http://www.sportfishingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=23589&typeID=347&categoryID=262

The following is the introduction: by Doug Olander

20-Pound Line Test

Our Test of 85 lines rated "20 Pound" reveals surprising results.

Take a llok at most and ad for fishing line or any line manufacturer's Web site. You'll see pretty much the same claims made over and over: Cast father! Better knot strength! Smaller diameter! Strongest monofilament we've ever made! Superior abrasion resistance! Supersoft and limp! and, always, quality!

It's easy to get tangled up in so much rhetoric. But waht does it really mean? Where can an angler go to sort it all out? Nowhere, in fact.

Quite simple, no industry standards exist to help consumers sort the qualities of fishing lines; no laws require manufacturers to reveal and particular products information. Or, put another way, line manufacturers can pretty much make whatever claims they want. Then it becomes caveat emptor, baby - you pays your money and you takes your chances.

But without reliable line-testing machines, educated dicision-making gets pretty dicey for the average fishing-line consumer.

That's why we elected to undertake the most comprehensive line test ever. We chose a common line size useful for many applications - 20-pounds - and subjected 85 different lines to identical testing procedures. We assessed the two parameters we could measure objectively: tensile (break) strength and abrasion strength/resistance, as well as measure the actual diameter of each line with calipers. We also tested for knot strength; the sidebar on page 74 explains why we decided not to publish those findings, In all, we performed nearly 1,200 seperate tests over three long days of testing.

We didn't test limpness or softness: Although these qualities are important to anglers, they're hard to quantify. Moreover, unlike break or abrasion strength, limpness or softness is pretty easy to assess just by the line' feel.

In another post I will add more from the article. If the interest is there, I will type the entire article including the names of the 85 lines tested an all of the results. It will take some time but I can get ur done eventually as time permits.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 07:09 PM

hey vince,
ifound a thread (not much info tho) of a discussion of IGFA ratings. http://www.igfa.org/board/viewpost.aspx?cat=general&postid=181 i think that ande is supposed to be IGFA rated line. i'll look to see if i can dig up some more info.

willy
Posted by: Addicted

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 07:11 PM

Pretty impressive Vhawk. Looking at your logs in the pic just gives me a headache. Glad you did it though. Good info.
Posted by: Satan

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 07:16 PM

I would like to see that myself.-AA

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 07:18 PM

looks like ande, penn and suffix all make igfa rated lines. seems like they all come in spools of about 5000 yards, tho! i think that they have the suffix at tackle direct...pretty cheap for all that line

willy

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 07:58 PM

IGFA will also pretest any line you send them to be sure it breaks under the line class you have in mind. I have a friend who fishes only with Stren. It is NOT an IGFA line per se but he knows what each will break at. i.e. It may say 8lb test, but he know is will brrak at 10 or less. He has a ton of records. His name is RalieghWwerking. I think you can see all the IGFA records online - but it may be you have to be a mamber.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* - 03/02/07 08:08 PM

Post deleted by John Lee Hookum

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 09:15 PM

I will post the diameters and abrasion stuff in a later post. This was a detail examination and contain lots of statistics and comparison charts, etc.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 11:19 PM

JLH,

Awesome. If you post the line diameters, I can do a comparison. (line diameter x 1000)/Mean Wet Break Strength in lbs=strength in Lbs per 0.001" of diameter.

So a line that is 0.001" total diameter and tests at 1 pound would be equal to a line that is 0.010" and tests at 10 pounds, per my equation.

Nice to see that the lines that came out on top in my tests also came out on top in these tests.
Select lines rer the Sportfishing results 20 pound test:

P-Line X-Tra Strong -----------------------34.7
Stren Extra Strength ----------------------32.9
Trilene XT Extra Tough -------------------28.0
Yo-Zuri Hybrid -----------------------------25.5
Stren Magnathin ---------------------------21.6
Maxima Chameleon -----------------------21.5
Pure Fishing Vanish -----------------------20.5

My results for same selected lines adjusted for diameter differences.

Using the test results from the Sportfishing experiments on 20 pound test.
(line diameter x 1000)/Mean Wet Break Strength in lbs=strength in Lbs per 0.001" of diameter.

P Line Xtra....................1.82
Stren xtra.....................1.80
Yozuri Clear....................1.55
Trilene Xtra....................1.55
Stren Magnathin..............1.44
Vanish Fluorocarbon..........1.28
Maxima Chameleon...........1.19

VHawk

Posted by: WillFish

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/02/07 11:36 PM

John-

Thanks for posting these results. Look forward to seeing the rest of the charts with the diameters and abrasion results.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* - 03/03/07 12:46 AM

Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 01:25 AM

Admirable effort Vinnie!

FYI the best way to standardize the break strength to caliber of the line (tensile strength) is pounds per unit area. Technically, you should not use simple diameter as the denominator, but rather the cross sectional area... pi*R-squared.

Since you are measuring diameter with your calipers, your denominator should be pi *(diam/2)squared.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 01:31 AM

FNP,

Your right. Although it the differences in the math don't change the rankings(!!!!They do change the rankings 3/3/07 I'm reworking the math now). I might do the analysis using cross sectional area for future testing.

My results for same selected lines adjusted for diameter differences.

Using the test results from the Sportfishing experiments on 20 pound test.
(line diameter x 1000)/Mean Wet Break Strength in lbs=strength in Lbs per 0.001" of diameter.

P Line Xtra....................1.82
Stren xtra.....................1.80
Yozuri Clear....................1.55
Trilene Xtra....................1.55
Stren Magnathin..............1.44
Vanish Fluorocarbon..........1.28
Maxima Chameleon...........1.19

VHawk

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* - 03/03/07 01:35 AM

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 01:37 AM

Sprots Fishing magazine article: 20-Pound Lines Test

Read the section dealing with the abrasion test for an understanding of the terms and numbers regarding cycles.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* - 03/03/07 02:05 AM

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* - 03/03/07 03:44 AM

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* - 03/03/07 03:56 AM

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 04:10 AM

JLH...good stuff! You posted the knot data at almost the same time as I sent Vince a PM concerning exactly what the article describes....i.e., "doubling" line for the clinch knot. I have found also that the trilene knot (which I prefer over the doubled clinch) when tied with only three wraps prevents the line from cutting into itself and thusly weakening the knot. It holds well even with braid.

Wow! so much data to process! I guess I'll have to print it all in order to draw my own conclusions about which is the best (or rather, most practical) choice for me.

Thanks, guys! Awesome! \:\)
Posted by: Phoenix77

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 08:47 AM

VHawk, I am sorry that I sent you 6 and 8:b CAMMA line as samples. Idid not realize when I sent it you were testing 10Lb lines. Maybe you can measure their diameters and compare .01".

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 10:59 AM

I decided to put all the data so far in one post for easier printing. There is more but it can follow in another post.

VHawk

I found the fishing magazine that mentioned earlier with the exclusive 20-Pound Line Test. The name of the magazine is "Sports Fishing", October 2001, article by Doug Olander. this link on has a portion of the article but worth a peek. I will provide details that the link don't cover as it is 9 pages in the magazine and it is well done.

The following is the introduction: by Doug Olander

20-Pound Line Test

Our Test of 85 lines rated "20 Pound" reveals surprising results.

Take a llok at most and ad for fishing line or any line manufacturer's Web site. You'll see pretty much the same claims made over and over: Cast father! Better knot strength! Smaller diameter! Strongest monofilament we've ever made! Superior abrasion resistance! Supersoft and limp! and, always, quality!

It's easy to get tangled up in so much rhetoric. But waht does it really mean? Where can an angler go to sort it all out? Nowhere, in fact.

Quite simple, no industry standards exist to help consumers sort the qualities of fishing lines; no laws require manufacturers to reveal and particular products information. Or, put another way, line manufacturers can pretty much make whatever claims they want. Then it becomes caveat emptor, baby - you pays your money and you takes your chances.

But without reliable line-testing machines, educated dicision-making gets pretty dicey for the average fishing-line consumer.

That's why we elected to undertake the most comprehensive line test ever. We chose a common line size useful for many applications - 20-pounds - and subjected 85 different lines to identical testing procedures. We assessed the two parameters we could measure objectively: tensile (break) strength and abrasion strength/resistance, as well as measure the actual diameter of each line with calipers. We also tested for knot strength; the sidebar on page 74 explains why we decided not to publish those findings, In all, we performed nearly 1,200 seperate tests over three long days of testing.

We didn't test limpness or softness: Although these qualities are important to anglers, they're hard to quantify. Moreover, unlike break or abrasion strength, limpness or softness is pretty easy to assess just by the line' feel.

Sports Fishing 20-Pound Line test Results

Name----------------------- Mean Wet Break Strength in lbs.
Ande (backcountry)
Ande Pink ---------------------------23.3
Ande Envy ---------------------------26.2
Ande gray -----------------------------21.8
Ande IGFA ---------------------------20.9
Ande IGFA yello ---------------------25.3
Ande green ---------------------------22.0
Ande Clear -----------------------23.6
Bass Pro Extreme Extra --------------20.4
Black Magic Black magic -------------21.2
Danielson Plus 7 -------------------20.7
FINs PRT Brand ----------------------37.6
Guidebrod G-6 Dacron Trolling Line, IGFA-------17.6
Guidebrod Butt Leader -----------------------19.7
Hi-Seas Quattro ------------------------26.1
Hi-Seas Black Widow, IGFA---------------20.8
Izorline Brutally Strong ------------------29.9
Izorline First String ----------------------30.5
Izorline Platinum --------------------------32.8
Izorline Fluoro Carbon Premium Leader----23.8
Jinkai Premium Sport-----------------------29.3
Mason Tiger Braid -------------------------23.2
Mason Hard Type Nylon leader ------------23.1
Mason Falcon ---------------------------------23.7
Maxima Chemeleon -------------------------21.5
Maxima Marine Green ------------------- 22.9
Maxima Crystal Ivory ---------------------23.5
Maxima Perfexion ------------------------21.3
Maxima IGFA Class line ---------------------18.5
Maxima Fibre Glow ------------------------23.3
Momoi High-Catch IGFA Class -----------22.0
Momoi High Catch -----------------------24.3
Momoi High Catch Fluoro Carbon ---------20.6
Platypus Pink--------------------------------23.4
Platypus Platinum, IFGA ----------------22.8
Platypus Super-100 ------------------------18.2
Platypus Pre-test Clear -------------------19.3
Platypus Pre-Test Chartreuse -------------19.3
P-Line X-Tra Strong -----------------------34.7
Power Pro Power Pro -----------------------27.1
Pure Fishing Fireline-------------------------35.3
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene XT Extra Tough ---28.0
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Big Game -----29.0
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Sensithin ------32.6
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Big Cat ---------29.0
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Inshore-------32.7
Pure Fishing Red Wolf---------------------29.2
Pure Fishing Spiderline Super Mono LS ----27.6
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Premium Strength ---27.2
Pure Fishing Spiderline -----------------28.7
Pure Fishing Vanish -------------------20.5
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene XL-------21.9
Rapala Rapala Tough ------31.2
Rapala Rapala Finesse -----------24.3
Remington Ultra --------------------31.8
Remington Premium Express ---------22.3
Seaguar Grand Max Fluoro (25.3 1b.)---22.4
Shakespeare Signa -----------24.7
Shakespeare Alpha -------------20.2
Silver Thread Excalibur 10X----24.5
Silver Thread Super Silver Thread--------27.5
Stren Original ------------20.9
Stren Sensor -------------30.1
Stren Catfish --------------31.2
Stren Extra Strength -----32.9
Stren Super Tough ---------19.6
Stren Manathin -----------21.6
Stren Easy Cast ----------24.3
Stren Fluorocarbon --------25.8
Sufix Herculine ----------23.1
Sufix Tritanium Plus -------30.6
Sufix Key Lime -------------19.3
Sufix Superior -------------30.1
Sufix Superior Ultra-Supreme, hard---30.1
Sufix Invisline Fluoro Carbon Ldr.--24.2
Triplefish Camo-essent -------------27.3
Triplefish Fluorocarbon Leader ----25.4
Triplefish Fluorocarbon Line -------22.9
Triplefish Saltwater leader --------24.3
Triplefish Silicone ------------------22.4
Western Filament Tuf Line -------29.0
Western Filament Super Cast ----22.4
Western Filament Tuf Line Plus (18-lb.) -------17.6
Western Filament Braided Dacron Flyline Backing---21.0
Yo-Zuri Hybrid ------------25.5

Name--------.Diameter in Inches----Cross X area in square inches
Ande (backcountry)-----0.018---------0.0247
Ande Pink -----------0.018-------------0.0247
Ande Envy ----------0.017--------------0.0236
Ande gray -----------0.018-------------0.0258
Ande IGFA ----------0.017--------------0.0225
Ande IGFA yello ----0.018--------------0.0247
Ande green ---------0.018--------------0.0247
Ande Clear ---------0.018---------------0.0247
Bass Pro Extreme Extra ---0.016------0.0205
Black Magic Black magic --0.018------0.0247
Danielson Plus 7 ----------0.017--------0.0215
FINs PRT Brand -----------0.011--------0.0096
Guidebrod G-6 Dacron Trolling Line, IGFA--0.016--0.0195
Guidebrod Butt Leader ----0.025-------0.0484
Hi-Seas Quattro -----------0.017-------0.0215
Hi-Seas Black Widow, IGFA--0.016----0.0195
Izorline Brutally Strong ------0.012-----0.0110
Izorline First String ---------0.018------0.0247
Izorline Platinum --------0.018----------0.0258
Izorline Fluoro Carbon Premium Leader---0.018--0.0247
Jinkai Premium Sport------0.018---------0.0258
Mason Tiger Braid ---------0.009---------0.0059
Mason Hard Type Nylon leader ---0.022-------0.0396
Mason Falcon ------------0.019----0.0289
Maxima Chemeleon -----0.018------------0.0258
Maxima Marine Green --0.018------------0.0258
Maxima Crystal Ivory ---0.018------------0.0247
Maxima Perfexion ------0.015------------0.0167
Maxima IGFA Class line -------0.016-----0.0195
Maxima Fibre Glow --------0.018-------0.0258
Momoi High-Catch IGFA Class ---0.018---0.0247
Momoi High Catch -----0.016----------0.0195
Momoi High Catch Fluoro Carbon ---0.016----0.0205
Platypus Pink-----------0.015------0.0185
Platypus Platinum, IFGA -----0.014-------0.0149
Platypus Super-100 --------0.013-------0.0133
Platypus Pre-test Clear ------0.017----0.0215
Platypus Pre-Test Chartreuse ----0.017-----0.0236
P-Line X-Tra Strong -------0.019--------0.0269
Power Pro Power Pro ------0.009--------0.0064
Pure Fishing Fireline-------0.013--------0.0141
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene XT Extra Tough --0.018---0.0247
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Big Game -----0.018----0.0247
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Sensithin -----0.017---0.0225
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Big Cat -------0.018---0.0247
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Inshore-------0.018---0.0247
Pure Fishing Red Wolf---------0.018-------0.0258
Pure Fishing Spiderline Super Mono LS ----0.017--0.0225
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Premium Strength -0.017-0.0236
Pure Fishing Spiderline ------------0.017----0.0225
Pure Fishing Vanish ----------------0.016---------0.0195
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene XL-------0.016----0.0205
Rapala Rapala Tough ------0.018-------0.0247
Rapala Rapala Finesse -----------0.015----0.0185
Remington Ultra ------------0.016--------0.0205
Remington Premium Express -----0.017----0.0225
Seaguar Grand Max Fluoro (25.3 1b.)---0.015--0.0176
Shakespeare Signa -----------0.019------0.0281
Shakespeare Alpha -------------0.018------0.0247
Silver Thread Excalibur 10X----0.016------0.0205
Silver Thread Super Silver Thread---0.016---0.0205
Stren Original ------------0.018------0.0247
Stren Sensor -------------0.017-------0.0225
Stren Catfish -----------0.018--------0.0258
Stren Extra Strength -----0.018-----0.0247
Stren Super Tough -------0.017-----0.0225
Stren Manathin -----------0.015--------0.0176
Stren Easy Cast ----------0.018-------0.0247
Stren Fluorocarbon -------0.017------0.0225
Sufix Herculine ----------0.008-------0.0049
Sufix Tritanium Plus -------0.018-----0.0247
Sufix Key Lime -------------0.017------0.0225
Sufix Superior -------------0.018-------0.0258
Sufix Superior Ultra-Supreme, hard---0.017----0.0236
Sufix Invisline Fluoro Carbon Ldr.--0.017------0.0236
Triplefish Camo-essent -------0.018------0.0247
Triplefish Fluorocarbon Leader ----0.017-----0.0225
Triplefish Fluorocarbon Line -------0.017-----0.0236
Triplefish Saltwater leader --------0.018------0.0247
Triplefish Silicone ------------------0.018------0.0247
Western Filament Tuf Line -------0.009-------0.0059
Western Filament Super Cast ----0.010-------0.0076
Western Filament Tuf Line Plus (18-lb.)--0.009---0.0059
Western Filament Braided Dacron Flyline Backing-0.016-0.0195
Yo-Zuri Hybrid ------------0.017-------0.0236

Name-----------------Abrasion strength Cycles to break
Ande (backcountry)---------374
Ande Pink ---------------------------288
Ande Envy ---------------------------216
Ande gray -----------------------------294
Ande IGFA ---------------------------238
Ande IGFA yello ---------------------208
Ande green ---------------------------232
Ande Clear -----------------------202
Bass Pro Extreme Extra --------------110
Black Magic Black magic -------------146
Danielson Plus 7 -------------------201
FINs PRT Brand ----------------------119
Guidebrod G-6 Dacron Trolling Line, IGFA-------49
Guidebrod Butt Leader -----------------------26
Hi-Seas Quattro ------------------------244
Hi-Seas Black Widow, IGFA---------------81
Izorline Brutally Strong ------------------169
Izorline First String ----------------------292
Izorline Platinum --------------------------266
Izorline Fluoro Carbon Premium Leader----22
Jinkai Premium Sport-----------------------136
Mason Tiger Braid -------------------------806
Mason Hard Type Nylon leader ------------759
Mason Falcon ---------------------------------145
Maxima Chemeleon -------------------------421
Maxima Marine Green ------------------- 372
Maxima Crystal Ivory ---------------------304
Maxima Perfexion ------------------------94
Maxima IGFA Class line ---------------------127
Maxima Fibre Glow ------------------------139
Momoi High-Catch IGFA Class -----------429
Momoi High Catch -----------------------164
Momoi High Catch Fluoro Carbon ---------36
Platypus Pink--------------------------------172
Platypus Platinum, IFGA ----------------68
Platypus Super-100 ------------------------71
Platypus Pre-test Clear -------------------144
Platypus Pre-Test Chartreuse -------------98
P-Line X-Tra Strong -----------------------257
Power Pro Power Pro -----------------------124
Pure Fishing Fireline-------------------------667
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene XT Extra Tough ---687
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Big Game -----353
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Sensithin ------208
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Big Cat ---------290
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Inshore-------187
Pure Fishing Red Wolf-----------------------257
Pure Fishing Spiderline Super Mono LS ----170
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Premium Strength ---184
Pure Fishing Spiderline -----------------137
Pure Fishing Vanish -------------------155
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene XL-------96
Rapala Rapala Tough -------------824
Rapala Rapala Finesse -----------612
Remington Ultra --------------------164
Remington Premium Express ---------211
Seaguar Grand Max Fluoro (25.3 1b.)---25
Shakespeare Signa -----------263
Shakespeare Alpha -------------109
Silver Thread Excalibur 10X--------594
Silver Thread Super Silver Thread--------211
Stren Original ------------1295
Stren Sensor -------------224
Stren Catfish --------------239
Stren Extra Strength -----177
Stren Super Tough ---------273
Stren Manathin -----------109
Stren Easy Cast ----------168
Stren Fluorocarbon -------64
Sufix Herculine ----------78
Sufix Tritanium Plus -------791
Sufix Key Lime -------------454
Sufix Superior -------------201
Sufix superior Ultra-Supreme, hard---149
Sufix Invisline Fluoro Carbon Ldr.--31
Triplefish Camo-essent -------------296
Triplefish Fluorocarbon Leader ----274
Triplefish Fluorocarbon Line -------275
Triplefish Saltwater leader --------195
Triplefish Silicone ------------------216
Western Filament Tuf Line -------781
Western Filament Super Cast ----59
Western Filament Tuf Line Plus (18-lb.)----36
Western Filament Braided Dacron Flyline Backing---26
Yo-Zuri Hybrid ------------169

Sprots Fishing magazine article: 20-Pound Lines Test

Read the section dealing with the abrasion test for an understanding of the terms and numbers regarding cycles.

Name----------------Cost per 100 Yards
Ande (backcountry)----------------$1.00
Ande Pink ---------------------------$1.00
Ande Envy ---------------------------$1.00
Ande gray -----------------------------$1.00
Ande IGFA ---------------------------$1.00
Ande IGFA yello ---------------------$1.68
Ande green ---------------------------n/a
Ande Clear -----------------------$1.00
Bass Pro Extreme Extra --------------$2.50
Black Magic Black magic -------------$2.67
Danielson Plus 7 -------------------n/a
FINs PRT Brand ----------------------$8.66
Guidebrod G-6 Dacron Trolling Line, IGFA-------n/a
Guidebrod Butt Leader -----------------------n/a
Hi-Seas Quattro ------------------------$1.15
Hi-Seas Black Widow, IGFA---------------$1.66
Izorline Brutally Strong ------------------$1.57
Izorline First String ----------------------n/a
Izorline Platinum --------------------------n/a
Izorline Fluoro Carbon Premium Leader----n/a
Jinkai Premium Sport-----------------------$5.40
Mason Tiger Braid -------------------------n/a
Mason Hard Type Nylon leader ------------n/a
Mason Falcon ---------------------------------n/a
Maxima Chemeleon -------------------------$3.33
Maxima Marine Green ------------------- $3.33
Maxima Crystal Ivory ---------------------$3.33
Maxima Perfexion ------------------------$2.71
Maxima IGFA Class line ---------------------n/a
Maxima Fibre Glow ------------------------$4.00
Momoi High-Catch IGFA Class -----------n/a
Momoi High Catch -----------------------$3.33
Momoi High Catch Fluoro Carbon ---------$38.80
Platypus Pink--------------------------------n/a
Platypus Platinum, IFGA ----------------n/a
Platypus Super-100 ------------------------n/a
Platypus Pre-test Clear -------------------n/a
Platypus Pre-Test Chartreuse -------------n/a
P-Line X-Tra Strong -----------------------$2.50
Power Pro Power Pro -----------------------$7.20
Pure Fishing Fireline-------------------------$8.33
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene XT Extra Tough ---$1.87
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Big Game -----$1.08
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Sensithin ------$2.62
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Big Cat ---------n/a
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Inshore-------$1.59
Pure Fishing Red Wolf-------------------n/a
Pure Fishing Spiderline Super Mono LS ----$2.50
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene Premium Strength ---$2.53
Pure Fishing Spiderline -----------------$12.66
Pure Fishing Vanish -------------------$4.00
Pure Fishing Berkley Trilene XL-------$1.87
Rapala Rapala Tough ------$1.41
Rapala Rapala Finesse -----------$1.41
Remington Ultra --------------------$2.62
Remington Premium Express ---------$2.25
Seaguar Grand Max Fluoro (25.3 1b.)---$39.80
Shakespeare Signa -----------n/a
Shakespeare Alpha -------------n/a
Silver Thread Excalibur 10X----$1.94
Silver Thread Super Silver Thread--------n/a
Stren Original ------------$2.48
Stren Sensor -------------$4.15
Stren Catfish --------------n/a
Stren Extra Strength -----$2.53
Stren Super Tough ---------n/a
Stren Manathin -----------$3.31
Stren Easy Cast ----------$2.36
Stren Fluorocarbon -------$7.42
Sufix Herculine ----------n/a
Sufix Tritanium Plus -------$1.15
Sufix Key Lime -------------n/a
Sufix Superior -------------$1.19
Sufix Superior Ultra-Supreme, hard---n/a
Sufix Invisline Fluoro Carbon Ldr.-------$42.50
Triplefish Camo-essent -------------n/a
Triplefish Fluorocarbon Leader ----n/a
Triplefish Fluorocarbon Line -------n/a
Triplefish Saltwater leader --------n/a
Triplefish Silicone ------------------n/a
Western Filament Tuf Line -------$5.26
Western Filament Super Cast ----n/a
Western Filament Tuf Line Plus (18-lb.)-------$5.13
Western Filament Braided Dacron Flyline Backing---n/a
Yo-Zuri Hybrid ------------$2.50

Side Bar

Why We Tossed out Our Monofilament Knot-Strength Test

Most monofilament manufacturers have long made such a point of marketing their lines' great know strenght that this characteristic seems beyond question to be of great importance to anglers. Stands to reason. if your knots in line A come out at 95 percent of line's strenght, but the same knot in line B give you only 75 percent of line's strenght, there's little question which one you'd want. That always made sense to us-until we started testing knots on a line tester.

In some line tests that SPORTS FISHING did many years ago, a simple overhead ("wind") knot was used to measure line strength. Such knots, of course, greatly weaken any line. While they might offer a relative indication of lines' knot strenght, we felt a real-world fishing knot would make more sense. We tested all 73 monofilaments with a five turn improved clinch knot, which is quick and easy to tie the same way over and over. As one would expect, results varied, with some linesaveraging 60 percent knot strength or so and others over 80 percent. But afterward, we tossed out the results. here's why.

After the test, we decided to test a few lines with the same knot but first doubling the line before before we tied the clinch knot (still leaving just asingle strand of line above the knot). Surprisingly, we found these knots breaking between the clamps well above the knot. In other words, the line broke before the knot did. We tried this with more than 20 different lines, and every single time the results was the same. The knot was 100 percent in all these different lines-which rendered their alleged knot strenth irrelevant.

We already knew (from our previous knot test feature) that the Bimini twist lives up to its reputation as a 100- percent Knot. Now we had learn that if you want a quick single-line knot, whether tied to a swivel or directly to a hook or lure, double the end and tie a improved clinch. In fact, even though we didn't test other knots doubled, it makes sense that doubling the line before tying a uni knot and other favorites could also make them 100 percent or nearly so.

Note that these comments pertain to monofilaments. We eren't as confident about our test of knots with superbraid, which is inherently harder to test and certainly harder to tie. Some braids with this 100-percent clinch knot did hold even as the line broke above them, but others failed. As a general rule, the smoother or more "slippery" a braided line felt (and there's lots of tactile variation among those lines), the harder it seemed to get a knot to hold and not slip through.

But at least for monofilaments, the bottom line seems to be: Tie the right knots, and you should get 100 percent of you line's strength. And, as far as we could tell, it doesn't matter what line you're using.

Side Bar

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

We didn't test for stretch, though we could have. It's a characteristic relevant to anglers. However, this would have made a long test even longer, and stretch is less critical than abrasion or tensile strength. In short, monofilaments are manufactured with controlled stretch; most stretch 20 to 30 percent before breaking. Fishermen generally are used to stretch, and many like it since it can be an effective cushion in a hard fight, helping save rods and sometimes pulled hookes or feel strikes. Afew monofilaments exceeded 30 percent, but these were rare.

On the other hand, braids have virtually no stretch, which can take getting used to if one has been fishing only monofilaments. But their lack of stretch gives braids the nod for deep water fishing. And in many other situations where finesse requires feeling for light strikes, braids do a better job than mono of transmitting sensations from hook to the rod.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 11:18 AM

Thanks to everyone who rated this thread. HooYaa I got some stars baby. I got the stars.

Phoenix77,

No worries about the samples I received from you. The 8lb test has a close enough diameter to 10 lb line. I'll see how it works out.
Thanks for sending that.

JLH,

Nice work. Maybe you could delete some of your earlier posts with the same data to keep the thread clean.

I'm glad you found that article, it greatly adds to this discussion. Makes me feel more comfortable that my findings are somewhere in the ballpark. I'll be thinking over how to do an abrasion test at home.

Vhawk

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 11:51 AM

Here's an abrasion test.......

Try going fishing on your wife's family reunion date. (j/k) \:\)

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 12:13 PM

I tried to clean up the thread as much as possible but after deleting, a few holes remain, but nothing I can do to remove residue. Vhawk I am impressed with how close you were with the tensile strenth test.

I think the trick for doing the abrasion test at home will be to get equal consistancy in application for each line tested. This will probably involve some automated machanical mechanism.

I have been using P-Line as a main Line for big fish (Salmon) for almost 15 years. I have always liked the color, as it's matches the color of my Calcuttas. Plus, when I need to pull free of a snag, I can sometimes have unbelievable results, as the line want break, even when I'm applying the tractor pull. P-Line also does a wonderful job as a casting line. I cast great distances when fishing from Pier's, etc., and find that I have fewer backlashes or memory problem. It's amazing line.

I started using Original Stren after I read this article after learning of it's abrasion resistance around 2001. Now I have the perfect combination when big fish and abrasion occupy the same waters. I don't like stren as a main line, but it makes an excellent leader.

It's a little different when fishing for steelheading, as I use Maxima U G. Not sure why, but it could be that Maxima Line continues to provide excellent results for me after all these year. Altho, nowadays I use the UG exclusively as my main line and also leader. Line breakage is less of an issue for me when i'm fishing steelhead, as it's more of a finesse fishery.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 02:34 PM

Looks good JLH. The article gave me an idea for an abrasion test to be done in the home lab...

Dear Cult of Maxima (CoMax) members,

... I have an abrasion test planned involving a drum sander, line drapped over the drum, with fixed weight attached to one end of the line. Probably use time as measure of abrasion resistance. Your brand should do well. Although from looking at the sportfishing magazines abrasion results, there might be some other brands that do amazingly well.

CoMax can expect to see the testing done sometime in May. BTW I'm not a cultist, but have been known to visit the temple of UG.

VHawk
Posted by: Oregonian

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 02:45 PM

I don't want to get banned, but I think you boys might want to include a "catchability" rating in your research...

If line "X" rates only mediocre in the lab, but catches more fish, then sign me up with Brand X.

I think there is a possibility that a FISH could see different kinds of mono at different diameters in the same water conditions...

P.S.
Are you guys really still using leader material for your mainline ?
<grin>

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 03:04 PM

Why would you get banned for any of those comments? There's a difference between crapping on someones work, and asking if there's not a way to improve it.

Example...this is crapping on someones work.

"What's next, are you going to start counting how many wraps on each guide of a steelhead rod, or count the scales on a fish ?"

Example....this is asking if there's a way to improve things

"I think there is a possibility that a FISH could see different kinds of mono at different diameters in the same water conditions."

If you read the entire paper I wrote to start the thread, or some of my other comments, you'd noticed that I wondered why some lines appear to do well in on the water, yet test mediocre in the lab. There are probably poorly defined characteristics of lines that contribute to their "catchability". Asking what those characteristics are, trying to define them, and measure them, are parts of the scientific process.

If you think what I did in the kitchen over the course of a couple of rained out days was excessive and mundane, than I assume you have no science background past high school. Real labwork is grossly boring, and far far more time consuming. Neither of which negates its value in making our lives longer, and easier.

Now, how do you propose testing 'catchability'?

Posted by: Brother Dave

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: VHawk
Real fieldwork is grossly boring, and far far more time consuming.

Actually, what I consider 'real fieldwork' is the fun part....
Posted by: Oregonian

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 03:17 PM

Hi Vince, thanks for the P.M.

Nice job on the mono test, some interesting facts presented for sure.

Catchability can go on undefined as far as I'm concerned...

I'm still stuck way back here trying to get on the right water, at the right time, without getting trampled to death !

Have a Great day.
Tad

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/03/07 03:23 PM

"Catchability can go on undefined as far as I'm concerned"

Why? If we can define and measure 'catchability', than I'd want someone to put extra of it in all that dam stuff I buy.

Who wouldn't be interested if the label read,

98% more catchability than those other brands

Originally Posted By: Brother Dave
 Originally Posted By: VHawk
Real fieldwork is grossly boring, and far far more time consuming.

Actually, what I consider 'real fieldwork' is the fun part....

I miswrote. Should have been "real labwork". If its fishing, then dam right the fieldwork is better.

Ok technicians, get your lines in the water.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/04/07 01:12 PM

Thanks FnP for having to mention cross sectional area...dang it. So I went ahead and did the math and I was wrong, it did change the rankings of the top lines.

Heres the rankings for people interested in cross sectional strength, as in pounds per sq inch. These are only the top 5 out of the 17 lines I tested.

I calculated the differences in line breaking strength based on cross sectional area (avg break strength)/(3.14*(d/2)^2) then divided by 10,000 in order to reduce to manageable numbers. I got tired this morning or I'd looked up how to note write it properly, as in 9.99 x 10^4.

#1 Stren xtra strong (90% retained fatigued strength)
#2 Stren magnathin (79% retained fatigued strength)
#3 Pline Floroclear (99% retained fatigued strength)
#4 Sufix Elite (84% retained fatigued strength)
#5 P Line extra strong (98% retained fatigued strength)

With the exception of the Stren Magnathin, 4 of the 5 lines were also top 5 using my previous calculations.

If anybody sees any problems with my math, please help me. I'm an ER RN, not an engineer.

I think I'm going to use a sander, clamped upside down, hang line over it with weight hanging on one end. Use time to measure differences in abrasion resistance.

After those tests I'm probably done. I can't imagine anybody would want to know anything more about fishing lines.

Thanks, VHawk
Posted by: tcman

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/04/07 03:09 PM

VHawk,

I think a saw an episode of Mythbusters using a sander clamped upside down......Great stuff, keep it up.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/05/07 12:17 AM

What grit size will you use - fine, medium, coarse, or maybe so wet emory paper? You're going to have to figure out a way to have the same tension/angle on the line when putting the line to the paper. Speed of the sander is going to be critical, too.

I appreciate your time and effort on this project.
Posted by: womperman

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/05/07 12:37 AM

thanks Vince, this is cool stuff and to think that my bass fishen steelhead partner, has been usin polmer knots and stren line for years.
Posted by: rognsue001

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/05/07 03:06 AM

I think YOU need to tell us which line catches the most fish ... but be specific; most salmon, most tuna, most tarpon.... this will take years...i'll help...{WE"LL} help
Posted by: fishpinner

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/06/07 04:51 PM

VHawk, nice report. Maybe Bob could post it in the Tips section so we don't have to go digging through the Archives when we want to buy some new line. My only comment is that I've done some testing of lighter line, and I've found an improved clinch knot with only 4 turns works better than a palomar. I think the best knot may vary depending on the diameter and type of line you are using, so it's good to try several.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/06/07 05:08 PM

"and I've found an improved clinch knot with only 4 turns works better than a palomar."

The Magazine test was done with an Improved Clinch knot, I believe with the same number of turns and was 100%. This of course was done on 20 lb. test and not the lighter stuff. But, as the article indicated, the knot data was inconclusive so they wouldn't share the results.
Posted by: Dave D

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/06/07 05:14 PM

The strength doesn't matter to me as much as how the line lays on the reel and how it casts.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/06/07 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave D
The strength doesn't matter to me as much as how the line lays on the reel and how it casts.

Try P-Line XXtra,it lays down the best. I have tried many lines over the years and settled on P-Line XXtra for that very reason. And in addition to it's superior tensile srenght, it looks good and catches fish. Try some when you get a chance.
Posted by: Big Jim

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/06/07 08:25 PM

This is great. I am now going to have to switch lines. I use to love the Maxi UG but have had good success with Ande when I am being cheap. I will have to check out the Stren. For trout fishing I always use the Stren HI Vis in 2lb test. Fun stuff to land trout with. My only question is did you use the single Palomar knot or a Double or Triple. 85% is a great knot failure rating and wonder if it would be better with a Double or Triple. I use the double myself.

Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis - 03/06/07 09:41 PM

Original Stren scores best for abrasion resitance. The other Stren lines are a mixed bag, same as other brands are. When using light line the extra abrasion resitance could make a difference in snaggy water. Always good to keep an open mind for trying something different, if information and research suggests better results. Good look with your research.