Rigging for Coyote spoons

Posted by: twistmas

Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/19/07 07:10 PM

How do you all rig coyote spoons... the spoon tied directly to the leader, or to the leader via a swivel? Does it make a difference?
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/19/07 07:24 PM

spoon to leader
Posted by: baddawg

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/19/07 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: mreyns
spoon to leader

What he said....
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/19/07 08:38 PM

yep directly to the leader.

Here is a simple modification that has worked well for me.

The swivel is a #2 Sampo 45lb test.

Remember to pinch the barb!!!

Posted by: halibutguy

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/19/07 10:06 PM

I use a snap, no swivel. The snap is so I can change spoons in a hurry if necessary and don't have to re-tie knots all the time. The only swivel is at the other end of the leader, or, as BD rigs it, between the spoon and the hook.
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/19/07 11:27 PM

try tying the leader to the spoon and then tying a loop on the other end, then have a snap off the flasher for the loop
Posted by: twistmas

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/20/07 11:33 AM

hey bigdaddy, what's the benefit if the swivel you got there? other than pushing the hook back to pick up a few extra short strikes, I don't see why a swiveling hook makes any difference.
Posted by: havnfun

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/20/07 12:25 PM

big fish can twist the hook off the spoon!
Posted by: Phoenix77

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/20/07 01:12 PM

The swivel between the and spoon keeps the fish from using the split ring as a perch which he can use a fulcrum to pry the hook from its mouth.
I only use Ball bearing swivels on my favorite lures and barrel swivels on others.
I use a a snap ball bearing swivel on the end of my leader. This allows me to change lures swiftly.
I also have a ball bearing swivel on the end of my main line to which I hook the leader.
Posted by: Waterboy

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/20/07 01:36 PM

Phoenix77, why not put the snap swivel on your mainline and the barrel swivel on the leader? Sounds like you have it the other way around? Just curious? Thanks.
Posted by: Phoenix77

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/20/07 05:36 PM

I put a snap ball bearing swivel on both the Main Line and leader. The barrel swivels go on some of my lures.. I seldom use barrel swivels for much else.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rigging for Coyote spoons - 03/20/07 06:05 PM

havnfun and Phoenix77 hit it on the head.