Pumping Sand Shrimp

Posted by: VHawk.

Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/22/07 04:12 PM

I've done the archive search and come up with these State Parks/Public areas that have places to pump sand shrimp.

Tolmie State Park
Burfoot County Park, near Steamboat Island
Howarth Park just north of Mukilteo
Siletz Bay, Oregon
Netarts Bay, Oregon
Waldport Bay, Oregon
Yaquina Bay, Oregon
Any other areas in Washington or Oregon with public access? I'm doing research for an article I'm writing.

VHawk
Posted by: TBJ

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/22/07 05:06 PM

I am pretty sure someone is into pumping sandshrimp on Capitol Hill.-T
Posted by: laterun

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/22/07 07:13 PM

Vince, we used to pump then commercially down by westport on the Elk river flats,and down by Ilwaco by Baker Bay. Have dug lots by Tokeland as well.You can get as many as you want at Ocean Shores just above the razors too. Bill
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/22/07 07:24 PM

we did some on copalis beach i beleive
Posted by: Satan

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/22/07 07:33 PM

Tillamook area and south
Posted by: Kramer

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/22/07 08:57 PM

Grayland Beach there's lots. I imagine any of the sand beaches have them but that's the only one I've ever tried.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/22/07 09:12 PM

Quote:
Grayland Beach there's lots. I imagine any of the sand beaches have them but that's the only one I've ever tried.

Ditto that.

Any sandy, relatively clean saltwater beach has the potential to support sandshrimp populations in our area. Living somewhat near the coast, I've never had trouble finding them in any of the bays/beaches of the central/southern Washington coast.
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/22/07 09:32 PM

Parker found some by Everett once.
Posted by: Musicman

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/22/07 10:22 PM

South Sound west of McCallister creek....but that was a lonnnggg time ago..very abundant back then.

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/22/07 11:11 PM

Thanks, I think I've got what I need. Learned alot writing about the sandies. One biology study estimated certain areas of WIllapa Bay had up to 18,000 pounds of sandshrimp per square acre at its highest densities. The oyster guys probably would welcome the sight of more people digging up sandies too. They kill larval oysters.
Posted by: rkh29

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/23/07 12:32 PM

You all come down to Willapa Bay and dig all you want. If through South Bend check out the new bakery on Hwy 101 (about the only new business in town).

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/23/07 01:09 PM

Tiny summer steelhead sized, or sturgeon bait, you choose.

Posted by: stever in everett

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/23/07 02:40 PM

Vince, are those some of the bunch I gave you on Saturday or did you go out and dig them youeself?. As said before you can find them on almost any sandy beach in the sound or out on the coast. You will usually find them mid point on the beach between high and low tide marks so you don't need a minus tide to dig them. Areas around some fresh water outflows seem to have the most. Look for small creeks that flow across the beach and then dig along the edges where the holes are numerous. Good luck. If you find youself sinking into the sand while you are digging then you are in hte right place. They have tunnels everywhere and standing on them will cause them to collapse and then you get that sinking feeling.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Pumping Sand Shrimp - 07/23/07 03:13 PM

I get that sinking feeling around you at times Steve, like sinking right into the easy chair!!