Weekend Report!

Posted by: Neal M

Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 07:42 PM

Headed out to Sappho with my son Alex on Friday, and managed to pick a bunch of nice Chantrelles along the way. (Sci Guy) Bill and his two sons Cal (4) and Finn (7) showed up that evening and after getting the kiddos to bed, Bill and I set up the gear for the trip to Sekiu the next day. The alarm went off at 6 and we made a big breakfast, loaded up the car, hooked up Tartar Sauce, and made the short drive to the launch. After dumping the boat in the water I drove up and parked the rig next to a trailer that was selling derby tickets for the day. I pondered the thought of buying a couple, but decided it was more important to get back to Bill before he went crazy herding the munchkins around.
We pushed off from the dock and puttered out to the first rip. We deployed 4 rods in all, two on the down riggers (cut plug herring, and dodger/coho killer), and two surface flies on bug rods. It wasn’t ten minutes later that the cut plug rod (at 40’) went off and started peeling line like a seal! Bill took the rod as I got the boat out of gear and started clearing lines. I didn’t even get to a rod before Bill is pointing and yelling. I look to see what he’s all excited about, and see the other DR rod bouncing hard in the holder. I grab it and am fast into another big fish. Bill gets his in close and based on the size we are both thinking King. Bill was about to hand his rod off to one of the kids when the thing jumped right next to the boat. My heart skipped a beat as the biggest coho I’ve ever laid eyes on came out of the water, slapped down on its side, and dove for the bottom. At the same time my fish was tail walking away in a reel burning 50 yard run, hanging up on both the fly lines that were still dangling in the water. I reeled my fish in toward the boat, untangling the fly lines as they came to the rod. Bill’s fish was not near done, so I decided to take a shot at mine. After scooping him up in the net, I dumped the fresh fish (unmedicated) into the back of the boat with our youngest swabi Cal. Cal looked ready to pounce on the fish, but was unsure… smile
I took the net and went to the front of the boat where Alex and Finn were enjoying the action. The fish was about 6 feet below the surface and unfrigginbelievably HUGE. Bill applied pressure I slid it into the insufficient net…. Mission Accomplished!
For the next couple hours we cnr’d a bunch of shakers on poppers, which was great for the kids. We had one other fish on that was good sized, but never got a look.
Overall the fishing was slow. Had we purchased a darn derby ticket we would have taken both first and second prize….. Hind sight smile
On the scale at Olsen’s, the fish went 17 and 23#, both bled out….. The big one was the largest silver I have ever seen. A mutant of a fish…
Here are some photos. Enjoy.
Neal
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 07:52 PM

Dude! Epic!

thumbs

That's Wall Hangar Class for sure!

Posted by: cfish

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 07:52 PM

That's a hog, reminds me of the day a few years back up there when my son got his 22, good memories of chaos in the boat with a big fish on. Nice job!
Posted by: TBJ

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 08:01 PM

I have been waiting for pics of those fish. SWEEET!
Posted by: seastrike

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 08:17 PM

Wow! I still haven't caught a 20 lb coho but would love to. Thanks for sharing the story and the pics Neal.
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 08:25 PM

Freakin Fantastic!
Posted by: gilly

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 08:37 PM

Holy crap those are some nice ones, I want my cut. How was the battle on the big one?

Matt
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 09:02 PM

holy crap is right! Wow, unbelievable fish. Good story too!
Posted by: lovetofish365

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 09:04 PM

some day ill get my twenty...plenty of 17-18s but never my twenty here...

NICE FISH....GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!
Posted by: lovetofish365

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 09:04 PM

pretty close the the state record...c
Posted by: sykofish

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 09:15 PM

Great story and fish. thumbs
Posted by: Mingo

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 09:28 PM

Damn damn damn nice fish!
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 09:51 PM

Simply amazing.
Posted by: tjcarroll

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 09:56 PM

Great Report Neal, and good to see the boys out there with ya.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 11:14 PM

Right on!......wonder which river system they were headed for?
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/28/08 11:16 PM

That's one large coho.
Posted by: Addicted

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 12:00 AM

I bow down to you.
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 12:03 AM

HOOOOLLLLLLLLEEEEY CRAP
DREAM FISH. Nice 40lb Coho limet. See that All the time over at point Nofreekenwhere.
I would trade a 100 fish day for that anytime!!!
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 12:12 AM

Niiiiiiice Fish Neal and Bill. It's freekin killer that you landed them both on a double too. That just takes the cake..

Did the fish checker get scale samples on those bad boys? I'd be interested to know where they were going smile
Posted by: DJ wonderkid

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 03:13 AM

those are some seriously huge HOs my friend well done anything their over twenty
Posted by: blackjack777

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 04:34 AM

What a Hog way to go
Posted by: Sol

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 11:18 AM

Neal shot his wad two weeks before it really counts....lol
Posted by: Jaba'da butt

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 11:21 AM

What time is the Bar-B-Q?
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 11:31 AM

WOW,Nice set of "HO'S".Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: SciGuy

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 11:32 AM

Absolute insanity! Chaos!
When I saw that thing hit, I said "Now THAT is a good fish"...I had no idea how right I was! The moment I will not soon forget was when the big one jumped, giving me a perfect side-view. My profanity filter around the kids instantly evaporated and I yelled "Oh, $hit, that IS a coho!" Just then I looked at Neal to see if he had seen it jump. I looked beyond his stunned expression and saw his fish begin a screaming run just under the surface, leaving behind a wake not unlike a torpedo. That was cool.
I'm not sure what else was going on for the next few minutes because I was focusing on my fish which was running down and away off the bow. Some how Neal managed to clear both fly rods and land his fish while stumbling around between three 4 to 7 year olds...hats off to him. Then Neal has the net on the bow and I get him in close and before I know it the fish is on board. The boys were all leaning up against the rail with their knees up to their chest to get away from the "scary sea monster." I still have kind of a goofy grin on my face. A once in a lifetime fish.
The state record is 25.34 lbs. I bet we would have come within a few ounces of that had we not bled it out...and if we would have shoved a few herring down it throat!
Posted by: Neal M

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Sol
Neal shot his wad two weeks before it really counts....lol

We'll see buddy, we'll see smile I consider it a warm up!
Skyguy, I was told by the fish checker that they don't do scale samples on coho. They did check for tags though with a scanner.
It really was quite the experience. I've handled some big fish before, but this went into slow motion, blurry dream like state. Could have been the hang over I was sportin, but I don't know.... smile
Matt, stop by for your cut any time.
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 11:52 AM

And you killed it!
Posted by: rivarat

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 12:00 PM

WOW! fatty
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 12:31 PM

nice job fella's
Posted by: Bruce(Coho@TheRefuge)

Re: Weekend Report! - 09/29/08 02:21 PM