Cowlitz River is a good option

Posted by: Phoenix77

Cowlitz River is a good option - 11/14/08 09:13 AM

Once rivers get back into shape, Cowlitz River is a good option
By this weekend, many rivers should drop into shape and provide opportunities for salmon, steelhead and trout.

The biggest news of the week comes from the Cowlitz River. In the past week, 1,089 sea-run cutthroat were recycled.

This gives anglers a second chance to catch these hard fighting trout.

Put in at Blue Creek and float your way down while casting Conehead Muddlers, Knudsen Spiders and Bead Head Prince Nymphs.

Another bonus is the possibility of catching a coho salmon or steelhead while on the float.

This year, the river has seen the second largest return of jack coho since 1990.

These fish put up a great fight. The same 5 or 6 weight fly rod used for the trout is perfect.

Fish bigger holes and go deep with a sink tip line to hook the coho. Any pink streamer is a good bet.

The Kalama River has been kicking out fish all season. There are still a few coho but the..... Continued@URL.... http://www.theolympian.com/outdoors/story/660349.html
Posted by: drhall99

Re: Cowlitz River is a good option - 11/16/08 12:32 AM

Thanks for the post. I've been looking for an excuse to get up there and do some fishing. Cutthroat are usually good fish to encourage new fishers and my kids are still needing that immediate gratification.
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: Cowlitz River is a good option - 11/16/08 09:49 PM

i like the idea of a bonus salmon on the 5wt....get yer ass kicked
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Cowlitz River is a good option - 11/17/08 02:58 AM

i've heard the cowlitz is a bit on the muddy side right now. it's a little late for cutthroat, i'm sure there's still a few around though. september always seems like a good month, i'm kicking myself for not fishing for them more this year.

they were really on the chunky side this year, 1-2lbs on average and bad-tempered at that.
Posted by: cohoangler

Re: Cowlitz River is a good option - 11/17/08 10:53 AM

I drove past the Cowlitz yesterday. It was the color of chocolate milk. It was also quite high. Save yourself some gas money and don't go near it for quite awhile.