Help with drift boat question.

Posted by: You caught how many.

Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 01:16 PM

Hello all,

I have owned a Clackacraft for the last 10 years. I have since sold it and am now thinking about buying a new drift boat again. I am considering a aluminum boat specifically a WILLIE BOAT 17x60. Now my question is with rowing. I have rowed alumawelds, northriver, and a couple other aluminium boats. They all seem like tanks when rowing up stream, weather in current or not. What's interesting is that the willie boat weights only about 50lbs more then the Clackacraft. I talked with willie and they said the back of there boats are so high they row differently then the other aluminium boats.

So what do you think, specifically those of you who have rowed a fiberglass boat Vs. aluminium. I have not rowed a WILLIE, which is suppose to be the best tracking over all aluminium. I know all the pros and cons. but I am interested in knowing how the willie rows as far as how many strokes it takes to row upstream or hold in place or vs. fiberglass boats. The aluminium just feels like once it get's started going down stream there is no stopping it? Thanks for your input. Jeff
Posted by: hohbomb73

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 01:31 PM

Obviously it depends where you fish and how...

You may notice that almost all the guides on the OP use aluminum boats. It's more a question of durability than one of rowability.

Why do you need to row upstream so much?

Perhaps that 50lbs is enough to add a stroke or two to your above mentioned scenario, and if that's the most relevant factor in your decision, then stick with glass...

Personally, i feel that my Willie 16X54 rowed like a champ. If I did miss a stroke or two, I'd much rather hit stuff in a metal boat...

I suggest trying to hitch a ride (or hire a guide) in a Willie and beg to row it for a while. I sold mine or I would offer up a ride.

(I also believe that the rowablity has a lot to do with the oars too: having the right weight and length will make it feel much easier. If possible, compare glass to metal with THE SAME OARS. wink )
Posted by: carpdiem

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 02:55 PM

If you want to try another glass boat you might want to look at a Lavro
Posted by: rtturbo

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 03:09 PM

Fear no Rock
Clackacraft

I've been rowing a clack for 24 years and I've bounced these boats off of everything and is very easy to go back up.
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 03:43 PM

I feel different boats have different applications. Some offer more rocker to move around boulder gardens near slides. I believe the glass boats are best for floating shallow water, summer flows.

Every boat is a compromise. Pick the one that fills your needs and the majority of wants. Try a used boat or two to find your niche.
This is a buyers market, I've seen some good deals out there.
Posted by: James T

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 04:03 PM

Why don't you consider getting another Clack? I've owned 10 driftboats in my life and Clack is by far the easiest rowing. Glass is warmer than alum., but not as tough. This year I tried out an 18 foot Clackamax and found it was easier to row than my 17 alum. boat (that I still have), so I bought one. The 18 foot Clack is REALLY big and comfortable and with the new innovations on the bottoms of Clackacrafts you'll find that the big boat rows easier than a lot of 16 alum. boats. But, Clacks are expensive.
Posted by: The Sensei #1

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 06:02 PM

go with the 17x60, put my dad and two uncles which would be a total wieght of near 1000lbs and rowed all day long just as it was only two dudes in the front and none in the back. Dont know anything about how many oar strokes or what not just that the 60 bottom tracks less water and seems more balanced, rows like a gem, ah choices, good luck.
Posted by: Steelymann

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 07:37 PM

Love my 17x60 but you know that
Posted by: bronc

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 08:18 PM

i had a lavro , an sorry i sold it , later i got an alumaweld an d wished i had the glass boat back again , theres no question in my mind the glass boat was much easier to row an handle , how ever the alumaweld is in destrucktable so its up to
what you value , my alum boat sits out in the yard all summer it the sun an it isnt affected by the wheather , howevr i think the gass boat might be more affected by the sun , in any case the glass boat is tuff as far as running the river in , i seen some pretty badly dentd up alumin boats,i think a glass boat is tougher in that respect,i dont think you can put a hole in a glass boat, at least i never seen one. they slip over the rocks easier,

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 09:13 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Mike has been a great help, and offered to let me row his 17 x 60, I can't wait. The great thing about this board is there are experienced anglers on here. Some other boards are made up of mostly office boys, who are board at work. You guys rule! Jeff
Posted by: Steelie Tamer

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 09:26 PM

I sold my clack last spring and bought a 17x60 willie, you won't regret it a bit as I was amazed at how well the willie rows and handles, the thing tracks like a dream! Also, it's hard to beat the price on a new willies, I paid 6k for mine brand new and they will work with you on the options you want, just be prepared to wait a little while for them get it built for you though, but it's worth the wait.

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 10:06 PM

Great, Looking at the packaged 17 x 60 willie any options you guys think you would want added to the standard boat? Longer oars, different oars, fish boxes, or storage boxes?? Thanks, Jeff
Posted by: James T

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/12/08 11:29 PM

On any new drift boat I would get an under-seat storage as an option. Then consider getting another under-seat storage box for the rower's seat. They add very little to the over all weight of the boat and add immeasurably to its comfort by being able to get things out of the way - like a stove for a quick lunch, life jackets when they're not being used, a tool/repair kit, extra clothing, rain gear, etc. A few extra pounds won't make any difference in a wide bottomed boat.

I like the extra room of a big boat for overnight float trips in the summer or winter. You can pack a lot of stuff in a big drift boat. Even though I prefer a Clackacraft, I know the Willie 17X60 is a great boat too. And you can't wear it out.

I'm somewhat amazed at what design advances have been made in driftboats the last 20 years. I've been rowing one for 40 years and not too long ago a 16X48 boat was considered the optimum. Now we know that a 60 inch bottom floats higher and rows easier per boat weight. Who'd a thunk it?
Posted by: sdaff

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/13/08 06:37 AM

Just feel it's necessary to give a shout out to RO Drift boats from bozeman, Mt. The 16ft guide model pulls off of rocks very easy(1-3 strokes). http://www.rodriftboats.com/

Draws very shallow, Pivots nicely, seems like the water flows underneath even in heavy water with minimal effort( tracking i guess). For example in riffle to cut-bank with rocks and only one way through situations the boat is easy to slow down and find the line. Also, takes waves nicely.

As far as pounding rocks, this it can do even at night -- Lifetime warranty as long as not sunk. The RO devilee looks pretty sweet for windy days.

I would say clackas are built better and row about the same but more expensive. lavros seems to be known for toughness but are also heavy.

Just my two cents from when i was researching dbs a couple years back.
Posted by: tyeeterror

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/13/08 05:21 PM

This is a good time to order a Willieboat. They are done with most of the winter ordered boats, and dont start the Alaska boats till next year. Ordered my powerboat just after Thanksgiving, and it was done by the end of Janauary. Pretty good turn around for a custom built boat.
Posted by: hollywood

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/13/08 06:49 PM

TRM is having 25% off of willie dbs till the end of dec. (wish I could afford one!)
Posted by: gw

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/15/08 05:48 PM

I've got a 18x60 WIllie that I really like. I was going order a 17x60 and when I went in they had this boat sitting on the lot. Great shape with more options than I would have paid for and less money than I was going to spend. I havent rowed a new clacka, but I would take my boat over a river craft, 16x54 wille, and most definately a NR. I used to own a NR sled so I'm not anti NR, but their drift boats are the worst rowing boat I've ever been in. They draft a ton of water, row heavy, and come with those horrible little chop stick oars. If your setting yourself up for a boat that rows like a NR, you'll be smiling ear to ear the first time you take it down the river.

The front storage under the seat and the fish box are both mandatory. I'd spring for the adjustable box in the rear and diamond plate floors while your at it. You'll have a really nice boat that will fish great for years to come.
Posted by: bobberdog

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/16/08 04:15 AM

I,ve rowed glass my whole life. My Buddy bought the fully loaded model last winter and I offered to row his boat for the virgin trip, and all I can say is I would MUCH rather row my glass boat. Tracking was better in the cold boat, not enough for me to ever switch to metal though. .02 more for ya
Posted by: cowlitzkiller

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/16/08 10:36 AM

I have spent a lot of time in a drift boat, Right now I am in a 17x60 Willie. Last winter I did a demo on a new Clack over on the Oregon coast. Needless to say I would not buy one. After dropping it of the first slide it had a chip in the jell coat. The second day we had to drag it and the Bottom was all scratched up. You wold not have this Prob with a Aluminum. Just my two cents.
Posted by: ned

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/16/08 12:13 PM

Cowlitzkiller,
I'm just curious since I've never owned a drift boat: Could you have dragged the aluminun over the same route you dragged the glass boat? All the advertising films address this, and parlay it to running shallows and how you'd hang up in aluminum, vs how a glass boat will slip over it.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/16/08 12:41 PM

If you own a fiberglass boat and use it hard, gel coat repairs will be part of your maintence plan every couple of years so just expect it. Treating a metal boat the same way will eventually leave you with dents and/or obvious scrapes.

Fiberglass IS easier to push over rocks.

In the end, if you own a good boat (either metal or fiberglass), you will like it. I like my Clacka. I like Coley's Willie boat.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/16/08 01:35 PM

"Willie" Simply the Best.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/16/08 03:39 PM

"Miller High Life". The champagne of beers.
Posted by: Green Drifter

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/16/08 03:42 PM

rofl
Posted by: cowlitzkiller

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/16/08 07:50 PM

As far as weight the two boats are about the same. I have a Picture of my boat sitting High in a downed tree.. so either one is Movable, I will tell yo what though after lugging that boat up and over this huge Oak I am going to know what on or across the river.
Posted by: fish-onNW

Re: Help with drift boat question. - 12/16/08 10:11 PM

I am pretty happy w/my 17x60... I previously owned a 16x48 alumaweld and the new boat rows noticebly better w 3 clients then the old one did w/2... I have only rowed a glass boat a couple of times (Clack) ... as for options i kinda went a little overboard... I went w/prety much all the storage i could( I dont think you can go wrong w/storage) I also did the UHMW bottom... well this was really expensive but i think it was worth it.. I also went w/level floorboards front and back.. you wont notice a difference but your guests will ... and I used to have 10' Cataraks which I loved.. now i went w/9'6 Sawyer MXSG they are both really nice oars as for which one i prefer... the jurys still out...

hope this helps..
fish-on

if you want to row it give me a call