Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine?

Posted by: eyeFISH

Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/14/08 07:30 PM

Nothin' worse than diggin' up old bones, but Mr Englund still holds a seat on the OR Fish and Wildlife Commission, and he continues to cater to the commercial interests over sports... TIME AND TIME AGAIN!

click here

Just something to keep in mind when it comes time to stock up your supplies for ocean fishing in 2009.
Posted by: laterun

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/14/08 08:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I will no longer shop there.
Posted by: sykofish

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/14/08 09:15 PM

No, never have, and never will.

Englund has no right being on Oregons board......talk about a conflict of intrests.

As much as I cant believe what is going on here in Oregon, the real blame has to be put in Kulongoskis lap (spelled wrong? Dont care). He appointed Englund knowing there was a conflict.

Here is a guy who wants to lock up over 1/2 of Oregons coast to all fishing to protect fish, but at the same time is calling for more comercial harvest on the Columbia.

Some one please explain! I doubt the Gov K will, he is the biggest spineless POS that Oregon has ever had. And Portland voted in the dumbass twice.
Posted by: Bob

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/14/08 10:18 PM

Let your $$$ make the vote for ya ... eventually they will get the message!
Posted by: Phoenix77

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/15/08 09:05 AM

No, but I wish did, so I wouldn't anymore.
Posted by: Jaba'da butt

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/15/08 10:02 AM

His prices are high anyway, We need Gary Loomis on the Board!
Posted by: sodfarmer

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/15/08 01:59 PM

When we go to Crescent city my father in law and I go there and stock up because they are cheap. Guess I will have to stop
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/15/08 03:53 PM

I've bought a few tuna lures from both the westport & Ilwaco stores in the past year or so.Not any more.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: Idaho Mike

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/15/08 09:03 PM

Never have, now I never will.
Posted by: jandlfishingguide

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/15/08 09:43 PM

Nope, never notta! In fact last year fishing Buoy Ten I needed some good bait and some gear and ended up driving to Bob's in Longview. I spend my $$$ with those retailers that support us sport fisherman...period!
Posted by: KoneZone

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/15/08 11:48 PM

Sykofish you have a great way with words. Living and running a business in Oregon definitely has it's challenges. This may just be a sign of the times I don't know. Hopefully something will happen to remedy this obvious problem. The Governor of Oregon Taxngougeme will have less funds to play with if this goes through. The Fish and Game Fees are going up 20%. The actual number of people willing to pony up is declining. It's hard to say what will happen. Less people sportfishing is not a good thing for anyone. There are those that are politically active who support writing letters to the powers that be. All the while with an open hand asking for funds. The funds are getting skinny. Over 20 years of writing letters to legislators and I have NEVER had an outcome that I was pleased with. I guess that I might be a bit picky but this is a FN disaster. Mike
Posted by: kodiak

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/16/08 12:02 AM

I do shop there. They were kind enough to give my business partner and I a start by stocking our products. I have nothing bad to say about them or how they do business. Trying to hurt someones retail business doesn't just hurt that person but the others that are dependent on them for an outlet for their goods.

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/16/08 12:57 AM

KoneZone, I may come across harsh, but I firmly believe there is a major conflict of intrests that needs to be addressed.

I know all about running a buisness in Oregon, I have managed a tackle company and have moved on to managing other buisnesses here in Oregon.

I was raised by a mom and pop small buisness while growing up, I understand the sacrifices it takes to be a small buisness owner.

One of the most important things I have learned over the years is to not step on the people that support you. Englund is supported by commercial intrests and sport.

It's not hard to see where the bulk of his buisness comes from.
Posted by: Wernergonefishin

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/16/08 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: kodiak
I do shop there. They were kind enough to give my business partner and I a start by stocking our products. I have nothing bad to say about them or how they do business. Trying to hurt someones retail business doesn't just hurt that person but the others that are dependent on them for an outlet for their goods.
Wow and I really liked your spinners to. But I refuse to do business with anyone who makes excuses to do business with a company or persons that sides with the comerical gilneting of the Columbia. Good luck with the business when the Salmon are Gone!
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/16/08 09:12 AM

There's a code of ethics that comes with doing good business, and Englund is using his comission seat to perpetuate this conflict of interest.
Posted by: kodiak

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/16/08 11:28 AM

I knew he supported commercial fishing, didn't know he supported gillnets. I live up off the north fork of the santiam where springer numbers have gone in the toilet. If he is supporting Gill nets I won't be restocking with him this fall. I need to push into other stores anyway.
Posted by: GDF

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/16/08 12:06 PM

I knew he supported commercial fishing, didn't know he supported gillnets. I live up off the north fork of the santiam where springer numbers have gone in the toilet. If he is supporting Gill nets I won't be restocking with him this fall. I need to push into other stores anyway.

Where did you think all the commercial gear came from? Englund and Seattle Marine are the largest suppliers of commercial equipment on the west coast.

We as consumers should be putting pressure on NW companies to not support Englunds business. Companies like Gamakautus (sp?), G Loomis, Lamiglas, Delta, and the countless others shouldn't allow their products in Jon Englunds stores.

Why feed your enemy? He's taken the gloves off maybe we should....
Posted by: big moby

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/17/08 12:27 PM

DUDE! have you been living in a closet! How could you not know that! especially if you sell to them. Pick up a paper or pay attention.
Posted by: Irie

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/17/08 08:48 PM

Duly noted. Thanks for the info.
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/18/08 05:40 PM

I've puchased some TUNA gear at the Westport location before.

This last year I found my swimbaits at Bob's Merch, Longview.
Oh, just how to spend that $500 gift card? doh
Posted by: Jhook

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/20/08 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: sykofish
No, never have, and never will.

Englund has no right being on Oregons board......talk about a conflict of intrests.

As much as I cant believe what is going on here in Oregon, the real blame has to be put in Kulongoskis lap (spelled wrong? Dont care). He appointed Englund knowing there was a conflict.

Here is a guy who wants to lock up over 1/2 of Oregons coast to all fishing to protect fish, but at the same time is calling for more comercial harvest on the Columbia.

Some one please explain! I doubt the Gov K will, he is the biggest spineless POS that Oregon has ever had. And Portland voted in the dumbass twice.

Thanks for qualifying the fact that Portland voted the boob in. Hats off to Washington! they have their act together. CCA Oregon is going to have to go some to overcome bias from commissioners, representatives and the gov. I don't understand the stranglehold the salmon chokers have on Oregon. Most of them live in Washington. It's crazy. Even the regular commercial industry looks at the gillwetters as bastard sons. The only reason they stick up for them is it keeps the focus off of the regular fleet.

Why is an industry fighting for a group that makes less than 3% of their income off gillnetting?
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/20/08 07:54 PM

Who are the regular cmmercial fishermen?
Posted by: donno

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/20/08 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: slabhunter

Oh, just how to spend that $500 gift card? doh

I'll give ya $100 for it. :-)

Boycotting his business doesn't get the nets off the main stem and doesn't get him off the commission.

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/20/08 08:54 PM

donno,

No it doesnt, but everyone needs to stick up for what they believe in when push comes to shove.

Englund has pushed and shoved, I am simply pushing back.
Posted by: KoneZone

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/21/08 01:47 AM

Sykofish I wanted to take the time to clear things up. I like the way you posted the subject. I didn't want to wade in too deep and get my legs chopped off by somebody that's lying in wait. Another words I wasn't going to swear off doing business with Englund's Marine totally. But what the heck I don't really relish paying exorbitant prices. As for selling KoneZone Flashers to them, I haven't received a PO from them for at least three years. The Fax machine isn't exactly burning through reams of paper lately. The decision to put such a blatantly biased individual on the board reeks of political corruption. This can only be laid at the feet of the Oregon voters that chose to elect Sleepy Ted. I had nothing to do with it! The whole state is going to hell in a hand basket and that's an understatement. Pray for the eruption of a brain cell in the majority party or we are all goners. I hope it's not too late. Mike
Posted by: Illahee

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/21/08 03:29 PM

Just say No to special interest policy makers.

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/21/08 04:43 PM

So it's OK to have Commissioner's who are Sport Fishing advocates?
Posted by: Illahee

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/21/08 06:09 PM

That's the rub, the Oregon Fish Commission is made up of representatives of big timber, big ag, and commercial fishing.
Conspicuously missing is equal representation for sportfishing.

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/21/08 06:13 PM

The commission should be made up of biologists.

At this time, the commission is made up of special intrest groups.

Politics dictate our fisheries.........How smart is that?

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/21/08 08:40 PM

So, you'll totally support whatever the biologists say is in thebest interests of the resource? Such as only selective fishing, no mixed stock fishing, no stocking of non-native species, and so on?

That would also include removal of most dams, restoration of estuaries, removal of levees so that rivers can flood and channels can move.

What we need is a clearly open and complete dialog. We need the science, but economics, politics, and those other issues need to be part of the discussion. It just needs to be an open discussion, which it certainly isn't now.

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/21/08 08:59 PM

Well put Carcassman.

We need to find a balance.

The current commission fails to reconize one.

So how do we find the common ground that some of us are looking for?

Re: Do you shop at ENGLUND Marine? - 12/22/08 12:13 AM

We need people who are willing to compromise. I think, from a Washington perspective, that the issues raised in "Saving Puget Sound" by Lombard and "Salmon 2100" are where the discussion needs to begin. I don't think we can change the Commissions, in the short term. Rather, they need to be challenged.

As is being done with Grays Harbor and Hoh management, there needs to be PUBLIC answers to "why". In at least some cases, the reasons why actions are taken are good ones; they are just kept from us.

Not just in resource management, but in all aspects of government, we need more anwers.

So, my short answer is to participate and demand answers. If "they" won't give them, look for help from the press.