Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night

Posted by: RUNnGUN

Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 12:40 PM

Heard a rumer someone Fly Rodding the Hoh caught a 30 lbr. last night. Can anyone confirm? Quite a feat if it's true.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 01:22 PM

Hmmm, that would be a feat....... In Washington.....

Keith laugh
Posted by: Neal M

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 01:42 PM

Very possible, and if so very cool. Could also be a #20 fish that someone felt really good about. Never any shortage of those. Not to mention the 14# fish that people say are #20....
Posted by: TBJ

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 01:57 PM

I have a confirmation that they killed it as well. Nice...... I heard about it from someone who saw the fish. I am really surprised that they killed it. I though most people were a little more conservation minded than that these days.-TBJ
Posted by: COOPDUCK

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 02:11 PM

If it's true that they killed it, what a shame. Surprising that a fly fisherman killed it. I could see a guy on a guided trip that he does once a year killing it, but for a fly guy to catch it tells me he had to have some level of skill and should have had the responsibility to go along with it. I hope you are wrong.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 02:12 PM

My info says he was on a guided trip. I hope I am wrong too. I am headed out that way today through Thursday so I will talk to the source again but it was a pretty reliable source I got it from.-TBJ
Posted by: Addicted

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 02:56 PM

cool/bummer.
Posted by: fish321

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: COOPDUCK
If it's true that they killed it, what a shame. Surprising that a fly fisherman killed it. I could see a guy on a guided trip that he does once a year killing it, but for a fly guy to catch it tells me he had to have some level of skill and should have had the responsibility to go along with it. I hope you are wrong.

Just because the guy fly fishes does not make him/her any more skilled.There are plenty of fly dorks that luck into fish all the time.
Posted by: Strike Rite

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: COOPDUCK

It is confirmed. Talked with a freind who was out there, and witnessed it. I'm not sure wether it was guided or not, but he was from Port Townsend; he can't play the out-of-town "I did not know the impact" card in this case. It is in these circumstances when two clubs are necessary: one for hatchery fish and one for ignorant fisherman. I wonder how well he could swim? And just because someone fly fish's does not make him a superior angler. We are all STEELHEADERS; one's tactics or presentations should not hinder our appreciation for these fish. I hope some day everyone can accept this.
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 03:36 PM

30 pounder on any gear would be a feat. Rivers are running low so, it is making fly fishing a little easier.
Posted by: hohbomb73

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 03:52 PM

It was a PIG.

An absolute PIG.

Just over 30...

TOTALLY FRIGGIN DEAD NOW. I hope the dude reads this and feels some sort of remorse. We all know these fish run in our rivers and how rare they are. It's a SHAME that one didn't redd the gravel... frown

BOO! frown
Posted by: salmonnut82

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 04:33 PM

This guy is giving guys from PT a bad name. Don't sterotype PT fishermen with this guy. I like to fly fish the OP rivers too, but never would I keep a native. As for this guy having skill, I surely doubt it. I doubt he's a PT native.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 05:00 PM

43 X 23.5
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 05:14 PM

Giving people from PT a bad name???? Now that's pretty funny. There are plenty goofballs of every dimension who live here for sure, but not All. Post a name if you have it. Doesn't take long for word to get around.
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 05:26 PM

How was he hooked? Usually a fly will get hooked in the lips and be a easy release. If he swallowed the fly? That's another story?

I caught a nice little wild coho one year on a fly. He swallowed the hook and bled out by the time I got him to the boat.

A shame that the fish wasn't released, but, we really don't know the whole story,... do we?

Sam
Posted by: hybridcx

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 05:29 PM

mabee it was a bleeder or hooked deep? i don't keep natives but always said if one was pumpin blood i would tag it hasn't happend hope it doesn't.
Posted by: eddie

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: hybridcx
mabee it was a bleeder or hooked deep? i don't keep natives but always said if one was pumpin blood i would tag it hasn't happend hope it doesn't.

Why would you tag it? If released, there is the possibility that it will survive and if it doesn't it adds to the biomass of the stream. Both outcomes are better than a few dinners, IMHO.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 06:19 PM

Yeah, I just got confirmation from my brother who saw the fish... Another guied most of us know even weighed it. Absolute pig. Deader than a door nail. Not a guided trip, just a walk in fly guy.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 06:23 PM

I have a funny feeling it was Parker breaking his skunk! Only he could pull something like this off smile

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: eddie
Originally Posted By: hybridcx

Why would you tag it? If released, there is the possibility that it will survive and if it doesn't it adds to the biomass of the stream. Both outcomes are better than a few dinners, IMHO.

if its pumping blood theres no way it is going to spawn. let alone make it more than a hour or so. as far as biomass for the system i don't think it would really impact it one way or the other with or without one fish.
Posted by: BERG

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: hohbomb73
We all know these fish run in our rivers and how rare they are.

...., especially in the upper reaches of the systems........above the nets........in low water.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 06:46 PM

I disagree hybridcx. If its pumping blood it is less likely to spawn than if it is not pumping blood.... If it gets the wood shampoo, there is no way it is going to spawn. These fish are way tougher than we give them credit for. Especially the big ones. You don't see many dead steelhead in the river as a result of CnR, far less than there are bleeders that are released.
Posted by: BERG

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 06:47 PM

Skunked on the Hoh this morning BTW.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 06:49 PM

I understand there were guys down at Barlows chasing fish around in the river.... Keeping them in the hole so they could feesh for them.... Please give us some rain. It's starting to remind me of salmon season.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 07:05 PM

+1 Neal, I have seen these fish stop pumping blood after a minute or two of recesitation. I have been told that the coagulant in thier blood reacts much, much quicker than ours and seen it first hand. I say even if in doubt let them go. Supposed to rain the next few days. I am headed out soon.Good Luck -TBJ
Posted by: Bob

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 07:30 PM

The rumor has been flying for a bit now ... I heard it was first steelhead ever and deader than dead. Sad news, especially when we're managing the Hoh for less than MSY this year and it's really taking a beating with the other rivers so low. There should have been little question that some emergency regs have been put into place down there with the many dozen-fold increase in pressure.

Shame on the guy who whacked it ...

Double shame on the state and the tribe for not stepping up for the fish!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 08:03 PM

A couple of more thoughts ...

First off, 90% of the "fly-fishing" here now is basically bobber and jig fishing, so call it flyfishing if you want, but in my book, it ain't.

In Alaska, I backbounce silvers on bugrods with an ounce of lead and a glob of eggs ... I don't call it "fly-fishing" though. Simply more fun to have direct drive to fish that routinely rip off 50+ yards of line and then change direction and do it again.

Might as well do it with the kind of rod it was meant to be done on and have fun with it smile

Corey and I just got back from a drive and were talking about the dead 30 ...

She said she could cheat on me and I'd say "That's Okay Honey" but I'd divorce her if she had killed that fish.

I said "Yep", because at least on the first one you had good reason smile
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 08:31 PM

GDITMMM!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 08:38 PM

Bob......."She said she could cheat on me and I'd say "That's Okay Honey" but I'd divorce her if she had killed that fish.

I said "Yep", because at least on the first one you had good reason."

Classic!!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Neal M
I disagree hybridcx. If its pumping blood it is less likely to spawn than if it is not pumping blood.... If it gets the wood shampoo, there is no way it is going to spawn. These fish are way tougher than we give them credit for. Especially the big ones. You don't see many dead steelhead in the river as a result of CnR, far less than there are bleeders that are released.

+1
Posted by: Jason Y

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 09:28 PM

Killing these natives has to stop, just because the Tribes do it doesn’t make it right. To take the genetics of a 30lb class fish in this day and age is ridiculous. If the guide knew the client intended to exercise his right and retain a fish. Upon seeing the tremendous specimen of a fish. He should have knocked it off with the net.

That’s right intentionally caused his client to loose the fish of a life time. The fish more than likely had survived the gauntlet of nets. Only to be clubbed in the head by a naive kook.

At some point you have to take a stand, for me I don’t kill NATIVE Steelhead. If you want to keep a native go fish with someone else. If we know each other, and you go fishing, and you kill a native. I don’t want to hear about it. If you tell me I will attempt to be calm and not tell you to go to hell.

Do I have friends that kill natives Yes, do I fish with them no.

That’s right should have knocked it off

I would have knocked it off, sure I'll help you land that. Whoops sorry dude that was a nice one
:flip off:

Yes I am aware it appears that I think this kook was guided. I am aware he was not.
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 09:56 PM

It's high time this state just goes 100% C&R for Nates!
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 10:32 PM

Sounds like a familiar story with a similar fish.

Oh wait, I let MINE GO!!!!! Mine (more than likely) survived to pass on his genes.

asshat
Posted by: Satan

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: parker
Sounds like a familiar story with a similar fish.

Sounds like someone wants attention wink

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 10:57 PM

BTW this is inexcusable that a fish of that magnitude got bonked.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: avid angler
Sounds like someone wants attention

Sounds like someone is nauseated to hear of such an awesome fish getting killed.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: parker
Originally Posted By: avid angler
Sounds like someone wants attention

Sounds like someone is nauseated to hear of such an awesome fish getting killed.

+1

BTW I heard you released a 30 pound fish once......

or twice...........

grin

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 11:20 PM

OK it's dead. How about at least some pics for all of us to remorse over.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 11:25 PM

Well, if it really was his 1st fish then that is a mitigating factor. However, we need to redouble our efforts for WSR.
Posted by: outfishn

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/21/09 11:37 PM

my wife made an interesting point as I was telling her about this thread. wouldn't the fish already have spawned at least once or twice, and with the same logic, would it be worse to bonk a young smaller steelie not knowing how it will develop, pass on its genetics, given a chance to live long enough? I just thought it was a very interesting and valid point. I guess if it was young and never had a chance to spawn, it would be a terrible loss, so you fish experts, do fish get that big before their first spawn?

I was on the Hoh Wednesday and Thursday, wanted to stay Friday but couldn't. wished I was there to witness that catch.
Posted by: BrianL

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:08 AM

I'm certainly not a fish expert, but have heard that almost all repeat spawners are females because the males beat themselves up so much fighting other males for mating rights to survive after the spawn.

All the spawnouts I've hooked have been females.

I'm guessing that fish missed his chance to pass on some great genetics.

Sad~

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:08 AM

99.9% odds that this was the first spawning run for a fish of that size.

Repeat spawners (which are nearly all female) typically are not much larger on their subsequent runs ... but can carry up to 30% more eggs (egg carrying capacity is known as fecundicity).
Posted by: OPfisher

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:22 AM

gay!
Posted by: Redside

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:26 AM

Some of you are saying it may have been a bleeder. No way! The chance of a guy flyfishing and having a bleeder is MUCH lower. Almost impossible if the guy was swinging flies. If he was fishing flies below an indicator there is a very small chance of the fish getting the fly down deep in his gills.

There is no way this was a bleeder.

What a shame!

Take a picture and let the fish reproduce on our vanishing O.P. Rivers!

Just as he shouldn't give a bad name to PT folks, I am pissed as a fellow fly fisher that this %^&*^%^* killed this fish.

Plain and simple this is a SELFISH and IGNORANT fisherman!
Posted by: Strike Rite

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:27 AM

The guy claimed he was unaware that reproduction mounts could be made from color photographs. Funny that after having surfaced for five or six years, such conservative alternatives were unknown. What a waste; thousands of years of evolution, ceased to sit upon a mantle or shelf.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:30 AM

That really makes me sick to hear this! How can we get this law changed to CR on all native Steelhead in Wash? Bob? Doc? anyone? This [censored] has got to stop ASAP!!!!!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: BrianL

I'm guessing that fish missed his chance to pass on some great genetics.

'Nuff said!
Posted by: shawn k

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Redside
Some of you are saying it may have been a bleeder. No way! The chance of a guy flyfishing and having a bleeder is MUCH lower. Almost impossible if the guy was swinging flies. If he was fishing flies below an indicator there is a very small chance of the fish getting the fly down deep in his gills.

There is no way this was a bleeder.

What a shame!

Take a picture and let the fish reproduce on our vanishing O.P. Rivers!

Just as he shouldn't give a bad name to PT folks, I am pissed as a fellow fly fisher that this %^&*^%^* killed this fish.

Plain and simple this is a SELFISH and IGNORANT fisherman!

a deeply swallowed tuble fly or a fly with a stinger hook will hook a fish in the tongueor in the gills. i had it happen to a couple of fish on the Dean about ten years ago.
i cant untderstand for the life of me why the whole HOH riverisn't under selective gear rules and C&R. There is no way we should be allowed to kill any wild steelhead.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:35 AM

cut the fly off and give the fish a chance. Anyone want to tell the most sentamental fisherman that has every lure he's hooked a memorable fish on hanging on my desk how its not ok to give any native steelhead a chance>?
Posted by: outfishn

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob
99.9% odds that this was the first spawning run for a fish of that size.

Repeat spawners (which are nearly all female) typically are not much larger on their subsequent runs ... but can carry up to 30% more eggs (egg carrying capacity is known as fecundicity).

interesting. didn't know that. I guess I was assuming the larger the fish the more spawns likely. I've often read comments like "three-salt...etc" for larger fish. It's interesting biologically since it would suggest females have an advantage passing on it's genetics unless it were offset somehow.
Posted by: LoweDown

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 01:17 AM

ok i wished to avoid associating myself with this event, but some outlandish ideas expressed here have forced me to chime in.

the fish was caught by an unguided BANK ANGLER. originally from England, and yes it was his first ever steelhead. swinging a fly. it was hooked in the lip. i rounded the corner above where it was caught just in time to see the guy bashing it on the head w/ a rock.

i'm not sure who the Port Townsend references were aimed at, but if it's Jim Kerr you couldn't be more wrong. You could be less presumptuous and considerably more informed. Jim is a good friend of mine, and strongly supports WSR, to the tune of killing ZERO wild fish last year. Also, he lives here in Forks.

I weighed the fish out of morbid curiosity. It hung my spring scale to over 30 but under 31 pounds. my slightly beat up but originally 30 lb anchor weighed in at 29 lbs for comparitive purposes.

some photos exist. i'd like to get Bob's opinion on the posting of them before doing so.

for the record i support WSR and this whole thing really bummed me out.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 01:18 AM

also, it was not a bleeder.
Posted by: floatinghat

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 01:48 AM

This just freak'n ruined my weekend.
Posted by: dbl spey

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 02:29 AM

I'll pray that bad karma crap like whacking a 30lb native is the fast path to get a$$ cancer...

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 03:28 AM

If it is then there will be more than one person running around with ass cancer. There was more than one plus sized fish wacked over the weekend, guaranteed. Guys, the regs have to change...... If they don't, we all need to stop bitch'n now...
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: dbl spey
I'll pray that bad karma crap like whacking a 30lb native is the fast path to get a$$ cancer...
christ, some of you people just need to get a life.

it's a damned shame that a fish like that isn't still in the river, but the posts in this thread are starting to remind me of the idiotic comments on youtube hunting videos.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 08:26 AM

I think you have a good point, CM. The rookie probably was thrilled to death, as well he should be. No need to bash him as a knowledgeable local. Had he known better, he may well have released the fish.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 09:32 AM

I understand there were guys down at Barlows chasing fish around in the river.... Keeping them in the hole so they could feesh for them.... Please give us some rain. It's starting to remind me of salmon season.

Always How Never Where!
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 10:41 AM

brewer completely concures on the regulation change. what sickens me is how many still go out and target nates period. the steelhead season should close statewide on say jan.15 and not reopen till may 1st. being a true nate purists as i am i don't even wet a line during nate season. a self imposed nate steelhead vast. a cleansing. nate abstinance is a great terminology. however i will eat my frozen fish. got several packages left of my "november springers"

i personally belive this was a multispawner. say at least 3 runs. as for the size not so much genetics but simply age made this fish 30 lbs. just as in mother nature, big bulls come from mature aged elk. big bucks come from mature aged deer.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 10:51 AM

I understand there were guys down at Barlows chasing fish around in the river.... Keeping them in the hole so they could feesh for them....

Is Barlow's on the Skok? fridge

A bit extreme, don't you think?
He probably checked his regs like a good boy before he went fishing, not that it's ok, but just sayin'. I'd save that caliber of comment for the ones that get bonked in a guide's boat. (ps. it happens)

The stupid newspaper fishing report last Thursday said the Hoh fish checkers counted more than 5 natives KEPT.

Posted by: SundayMoney

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 10:52 AM

Thats got to be one of the stupidest fuggin' posts ever.

You hope someone gets cancer over a god damn fish.
Posted by: sykofish

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 10:59 AM

What's done is done. I don't agree with killing nate's, but I am not going to wish the guy bad luck or otherwise.

It's simple really.....Change the law so that it wont happen again.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 11:56 AM

We've come a long way on the native retention laws...just a few short years ago you could kill one per day on lots of streams...now it's down to one per year, and only on a handful of streams.

Until that loophole is closed, our best bet is to educate our fellow anglers to not do it, even if the law allows it...and wishing ass cancer on them probably isn't the best way to go about it.

There is virtually no chance that the fish has spawned, ever. Statistically speaking, zero bucks repeat spawn. That's not to say that they don't, but statistically all repeat spawners are hens...they drop their eggs and head out, while the bucks literally stay in the river all spring spawning until they die...it's what they do.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: litlcleo

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:08 PM

A great person and angler passes away and ten people post there regrets.A wild fish is killed and we are on page 4.
Posted by: gilly

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:22 PM

I saw it, A monster for sure, the guy was holding it up for us to see. He caught it swinging his spey rod from the bank, unguided. I am sure he will regret killing this fish, but it is legal. I think this 1 wild fish per year has created a trophy bonking mentality. It is common in these waters to hear people talking about saving their punch card for a trophy. I saw a 19 and a 22 lb wild fish bonked the day before the 30 was harvested, and have heard of several in the 20-25 lb range bonked in the past month.

The fish stomping was out of control yesterday down at the mouth of the Hoh. A fish checker told me they had about 15-20 fish trying to come up the riffle below Barlows, and about 10 guys were chasing the fish back down into the hole so they could "catch" them.

Matt

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:37 PM

Careful what you all wish for..........

Most of our rivers are closed due to the lack of retention laws from March 15th through April 15th.

Do I condone killing a native steelhead, heck no. It's a shame to see.

Keith shocked

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 12:39 PM

again just to be clear i dont and have not bonked natives although i have had many chances.i am all for c&r them. and i agree running baite hooked deep cut line rather that try and pull the hooks out. i wasn't saying it was a bleeder more that someone fishing for there first time seeing one bleeding bad would presume it to be a goner. not saying its right just at the time of the post, giving the guy bennifit of the dought as to why he bonkd it. rather than what it turned out to be a lip caught fish that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. its a bummber
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 01:17 PM

Gilly's post puts this event into unfortunate perspective.

I'm not sure if I even WANNA see the pic LD.

I'd give the guy a pass card on this one, since it was his first steelhead. I was there once.

In fact, I feel like I'm there NOW. A little sore in the meat from a 4 trip skunk streak. The next tug is gonna feel like my first steelhead all over again again,

fb
Posted by: FASTWATER

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 02:07 PM

I doubt if the guy was spey fishing on the HOH it was his 1st Nate I call BS !!!PEACE

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: fishbadger
A little sore in the meat from a 4 trip skunk streak.

Rookie. wink

I earned the coveted Skunk Ace award with #5 yesterday....

Stam's a Tripple Skunk Ace!!!!

bow

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 02:34 PM

Why would you doubt he was Spey fishing? I saw him the day before swingin his spey rod. And the day he had the fish, it was the only rod he had with him.

Matt

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 02:35 PM

ya but steve's fishing beaver crik this weekend...
I wont let him fail! wink
assuming he fails the first leg of the trip....... and if thats the case then man we'll have our work cut out!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: gilly
Why would you doubt he was Spey fishing?

Because no one, especially spey rookies, catch fish that large the first time they pick up and use a spey rod........

smile
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 03:31 PM

i have no problem with someone keeping thier ONE nate a year. the runs on the coast can support it no dout. and its not like every single one of us are over there keeping out ONE nate a year.

a few people wont make a huge difference. AND its not like every single nate being kept by people is coming out of one river.

now a fish that size was more then likely kept to be mounted sure. but 5-10lb natives being kept are more then likely for food. and people gotta eat.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 03:40 PM

A few people wont make a huge difference, but its not just a "few" people fishing anymore.... Don't doubt the ability of our fellow anglers to catch every damn fish in the river, both guided and unguided.... If all of the guides on the OP kept every fish caught over the course of a season, it would be a slaughter... It already is a slaughter.
Parker... rofl I still think it was you breaking your skunk under cover....

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 03:49 PM

Parker... I still think it was you breaking your skunk under cover....

If the fish had been released, it would so have been me! I can totally see The Chosen One picking up the spey rod for the first time in over a year, make a cast or two, and have another 30 pounder pick up a skated spey dry fly this time. rofl

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: bankwalker
the runs on the coast can support it no dout.

I'll let the "dout" slide, but it does seem ironic that you can't spell because the above is one of the LEAST educated things said on this thread so far...

The Hoh does not meet escapement (when is the last time it DID?); its "runs" cannot support over harvest.

...Just because you think it does not make it SO. Just because the law says it's OK, doesn't mean it IS.
Posted by: dbl spey

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 03:58 PM

Thats got to be one of the stupidest fuggin' posts ever.

You hope someone gets cancer over a god damn fish.

Did not mean to hit a nerve...killing nates seems like crap to me. People who do shitty things have shitting things happen to them. Only he knows what/why he killed the fish, life will sort out the consequences (if any) I'm not the judge, I dont have the cancer wand.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 04:20 PM

I'll let the "dout" slide, but it does seem ironic that you can't spell because the above is one of the LEAST educated things said on this thread so far...

The Hoh does not meet escapement (when is the last time it DID?); its "runs" cannot support over harvest.

...Just because you think it does not make it SO. Just because the law says it's OK, doesn't mean it IS.

well then i was mistaken. i thought they did meet escapement...i thought that was the reasoning for them having a 1 native limit a year on those certain rivers.

and not every person over there is gonna keep a native fish. i know i sure wont and BUT i dont have a problem with people doing so if they choose. it is legal to do so, be it right or not. that is for each person to decided.

as far as me being stupid abu-loomis. personal comments like that are not needed.
Posted by: A D Pose

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 04:30 PM

I for one am sad to read such reports. The depletion of a precious resource is no excuse for one's ego. Legal or not, what's done is done, but that fish should have been released to give it a chance to pass on it's genes to the next generation. Wishing ill will upon the ignorant will not help them.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 04:32 PM

Besides all the usual good reasons to release a fish like that, even a bright winter run isn't all that good to eat...that thing will taste like sawdust simmered in chicken broth...

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 04:32 PM

well then i was mistaken. i thought they did meet escapement...i thought that was the reasoning for them having a 1 native limit a year on those certain rivers.

and not every person over there is gonna keep a native fish. i know i sure wont and BUT i dont have a problem with people doing so if they choose. it is legal to do so, be it right or not. that is for each person to decided.

as far as me being stupid abu-loomis. personal comments like that are not needed.

Didnt they drop escapement last year so the hoh could meet escapement?
I know when i started fishing it escapement was double what it is now.....
Posted by: Magicfly

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Brewer
brewer completely concures on the regulation change. what sickens me is how many still go out and target nates period. the steelhead season should close statewide on say jan.15 and not reopen till may 1st.

Amen, Brother!

That fish should have never seen any type of hook, after making it through the gauntlet .

Until real protection for wild fish is implemented, these fish will continue to suffer....

Mf
Posted by: JoJo

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 04:41 PM

The hoh has missed escapement most of the last 10 years so the question I ask to those that are for C & R ( I am myself) how do you justify fishing a river that is underescaped when no doubt a percentage of fish are dying from hooking mortality. Is this in the best interest of the fish?

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 04:41 PM

p.s. i never said anything about over harvest. nor did i ever say anything about every single person keeping native fish.

if that was the case yes, it would be destructive to the runs.
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 05:08 PM

what sickens me is how many still go out and target nates period. the steelhead season should close statewide on say jan.15 and not reopen till may 1st. being a true nate purists as i am i don't even wet a line during nate season. a self imposed nate steelhead vast. a cleansing. nate abstinance is a great terminology.

And.........

Originally Posted By: JoJo
The hoh has missed escapement most of the last 10 years so the question I ask to those that are for C & R ( I am myself) how do you justify fishing a river that is underescaped when no doubt a percentage of fish are dying from hooking mortality. Is this in the best interest of the fish?

I completely disagree! Yes it’s a blood sport and one out of a hundred may die after being released but not having “nate purists” on the river is the absolute worst thing for native steelhead for many reasons. First off many if not most rivers, once closed for the season, experience brutal poaching efforts and since they are closed there is very little enforcement. Also having us “nate purists” on the river, despite a small mortality rate, is the very best thing for the future of native steelhead. Without us on the river fighting for their future there is no future. Close a river, or all rivers in the spring, and you’ll see these fish attacked from every direction from habitat distruction like logging and mining to housing developments and water use rights and yes netting and etc. etc. etc………. We are the only user group fighting for their future, the future of our State fish, PERIOD!!!! Take us off the river and you’ve thrown in the flag of defeat! Sure we may continue the fight for some time but without a younger generation (think OPfisher, Tbird, Mreyns etc…) to keep up the fight we are done! We simply cannot be the last generation to fight for these fish!!!!!!! If we are not on the river then that is exactly what we will be the last generation!

I like the Ira Spring analogy. Ira’s the guy who wrote the 100 hikes series about Washington’s backcountry trails. At the time, some 50 years ago, the few hikers in the state where pissed that he was writing about all the hikes to their “special” places. Their argument was that the wilderness areas couldn’t take the pounding of the masses. And that is a valid point but DOES NOT offset the fact that there are now millions of hikers who thru their letters and hard work have created hundreds of thousands of new trails and wilderness protection for millions of NEW acres of state wildlands!

In my mind we give up fishing for these amazing fish then we’ve lost the fight!

And if we’re not on the river who’s going to educate this guy, “Damn nice fish dude but that really sucks you bonked him and your going to rightfully get skewered on the bulliten boards!”
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 05:19 PM

Sad stuff indeed. We (to the south of many of you) will likely never see such a fish in any lifetime. 1) because most of our systems are incapable of producing such beasts...due to, well, stupid human things... and 2) because when some meat hunter does land such a rare fish, they whack it on the head to go brag it around town, instead of letting it make more hoss offspring, reglardless of legalities of harvest.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 06:19 PM

First off, let's keep this thread civil or it will die an early death. pro / con, I don't care ... name calling and such needs to be put to bed.

As far as Jo-Jo's thought ... I think it's importnat to note on the Hoh, that in a number of years that the river did not meet escapement (the higher, older goal as well) ... if no kill was allowed and you figured out a 10% for C&R fish (which we know is high, but let's err on the side of the fish for a change) ... the goal would have been met.

The Hoh has no business being open to kill right now, or any other year until we see numbers bounce back (which usually is a long process for steelhead).

The state needs to go in a fight and get the escpament numbers back up to what they used to be ... I belive the number has been dropped twice now ... in order to meet it. But because there is a small surplus available, the tribe wants to take it and the state is afraid to push the envelope on the sporties being able to do with them as they wish. So both sides keep killing and we end up under-escaped, so we just lower the goal again. Then, as is the case in so many streams ... it'll just get shut down to us and the tribe will keep fishing to some degree because it is their right.

Keep killin' them boys, you're digging your own grave of a fishless future!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: BroodBuster
I completely disagree! Yes it’s a blood sport and one out of a hundred may die after being released but not having “nate purists” on the river is the absolute worst thing for native steelhead for many reasons. First off many if not most rivers, once closed for the season, experience brutal poaching efforts and since they are closed there is very little enforcement. Also having us “nate purists” on the river, despite a small mortality rate, is the very best thing for the future of native steelhead. Without us on the river fighting for their future there is no future. Close a river, or all rivers in the spring, and you’ll see these fish attacked from every direction from habitat distruction like logging and mining to housing developments and water use rights and yes netting and etc. etc. etc………. We are the only user group fighting for their future, the future of our State fish, PERIOD!!!! Take us off the river and you’ve thrown in the flag of defeat! Sure we may continue the fight for some time but without a younger generation (think OPfisher, Tbird, Mreyns etc…) to keep up the fight we are done! We simply cannot be the last generation to fight for these fish!!!!!!! If we are not on the river then that is exactly what we will be the last generation!

I like the Ira Spring analogy. Ira’s the guy who wrote the 100 hikes series about Washington’s backcountry trails. At the time, some 50 years ago, the few hikers in the state where pissed that he was writing about all the hikes to their “special” places. Their argument was that the wilderness areas couldn’t take the pounding of the masses. And that is a valid point but DOES NOT offset the fact that there are now millions of hikers who thru their letters and hard work have created hundreds of thousands of new trails and wilderness protection for millions of NEW acres of state wildlands!

And if we’re not on the river who’s going to educate this guy, “Damn nice fish dude but that really sucks you bonked him and your going to rightfully get skewered on the bulliten boards!”

Money post, Brood! applause

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 07:07 PM

First off, let's keep this thread civil or it will die an early death. pro / con, I don't care ... name calling and such needs to be put to bed.

As far as Jo-Jo's thought ... I think it's importnat to note on the Hoh, that in a number of years that the river did not meet escapement (the higher, older goal as well) ... if no kill was allowed and you figured out a 10% for C&R fish (which we know is high, but let's err on the side of the fish for a change) ... the goal would have been met.

The Hoh has no business being open to kill right now, or any other year until we see numbers bounce back (which usually is a long process for steelhead).

The state needs to go in a fight and get the escpament numbers back up to what they used to be ... I belive the number has been dropped twice now ... in order to meet it. But because there is a small surplus available, the tribe wants to take it and the state is afraid to push the envelope on the sporties being able to do with them as they wish. So both sides keep killing and we end up under-escaped, so we just lower the goal again. Then, as is the case in so many streams ... it'll just get shut down to us and the tribe will keep fishing to some degree because it is their right.

Keep killin' them boys, you're digging your own grave of a fishless future!

thats the thing. when escapement is not being met setting the number lower so that escapement can be met does not help anything at all. it only makes people like myself think that numbers are where they should be.

but again thats how wdfw works. anything to make them look like they are doing a good job.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 07:50 PM

I'm not buying the fact that the only way to protect these wild fish is to be on the river as guardians against poachers and stick em at the same time....

Come on you can do better than that?

Mf

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 08:18 PM

(think OPfisher, Tbird, Mreyns etc…) to keep up the fight we are done!

I was gona give you +1 for the shout out but then I realized you stuck me in the same group as T-bags and Mark! wink

In all reallity, the hoh was where I got my first steelhead, had my best days ever, seen one of if not the biggest steelhead in my life paired up in the fly h2O with its mate.... the list goes on but for anyone that has spent time on it, they know what I mean. I get the feeling that I just got speedbagged in the stomach by tyson in his prime knowing that that is two more dead 30s out of there than should have been this year and that in my life time it has seen its escapement cut in more than half.
this is the reason everytime I seen Sean From the CCA I bug him about what they're going to do for the hoh. I think that if we dont figure out how to make it no retention of wild fish, we will never see the day where there's over 5k fish in it let alone see one left to spawn.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 08:36 PM

I dont think the CCA will do anything about the Hoh fishery, certainly nothing about the Native gillnets/driftnets or the Native fisheries all together.

Matt

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 08:38 PM

We got a few concessions out of the Hoh Tribe this year, but it's still very, very far from perfect...hopefully it will be a little better every year until it starts to at least resemble a responsible management plan.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. I think that the people who care the most about wild steelhead are those who enjoy fishing for them...bar none...and those are the people who will work the hardest to protect them.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 08:52 PM

Todd, when you refer to "we" is that the CCA or WDFW etc. ? The day the CCA decides they have the moxy to take on the current situation with the Native gill nets, I will grab my bag of Cheetos and enjoy the show. Hopefully I am wrong, but to my knowledge the tribes dont have to agree to anything, they can't be forced into anything they don't want to do as concerned with fisheries. I think this may be a misconception with some people who have joined CCA, or maybe it is my own.

Matt

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 09:18 PM

I've been thinking a bit.......

It seems as if every year there are 30+ pound steelhead that come from the Hoh and other Penninsula rivers.... This fish isn't the first and certainly won't be the last one....

My question is if we were to go back to the 1800's before man invented nets and fishing gear, how many 30 pounders do you think swam back up the Hoh every year?

Keith grin

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd

Todd

P.S. I think that the people who care the most about wild steelhead are those who enjoy fishing for them...bar none...and those are the people who will work the hardest to protect them.

+1

Op, TBird and myrens are all good people. They will continue the fight with all of us old farts who have realized that that CnR is not the problem.

The problem is people who dont understand or care.
Posted by: thefishnfool

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 11:15 PM

what sickens me is how many still go out and target nates period. the steelhead season should close statewide on say jan.15 and not reopen till may 1st. being a true nate purists as i am i don't even wet a line during nate season. a self imposed nate steelhead vast. a cleansing. nate abstinance is a great terminology.

And.........

Amen brother....couldn't have said it any better myself. May 1st is the opener of Darrington poaching season on the Sauk. More fish killed on the Sauk in May than the whole catch and release season.

Tim

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/22/09 11:28 PM

I saw it, A monster for sure, the guy was holding it up for us to see. He caught it swinging his spey rod from the bank, unguided. I am sure he will regret killing this fish, but it is legal. I think this 1 wild fish per year has created a trophy bonking mentality. It is common in these waters to hear people talking about saving their punch card for a trophy. I saw a 19 and a 22 lb wild fish bonked the day before the 30 was harvested, and have heard of several in the 20-25 lb range bonked in the past month.

The fish stomping was out of control yesterday down at the mouth of the Hoh. A fish checker told me they had about 15-20 fish trying to come up the riffle below Barlows, and about 10 guys were chasing the fish back down into the hole so they could "catch" them.

Matt

Todd or others involved in politics.......

This is a concern that I too have had about a lot of different fisheries. Put a severe limit on retention and all of a sudden the only fish that are being killed are the ones that need to spawn the most. Knowing what is known about genetics and how quick genetic populations can change with severe selection pressures (ie......not keeping as many fish but only the big ones), what would be the possibility of getting a max size limit put on these fisheries say @ 35" or something like that. In our current state of negotiations with the tribes and forgone oppertunity, we wouldn't be giving up numbers so they wouldn't be able to increase netting pressure. All it would do is somewhat protect the larger genetics in the system that are probably the easiest to bread out of a pop. since it is overall a smaller part of the overall population. Any thoughts or concerns with this that I am not seeing???

Tim

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 12:02 AM

Gilly, we got the tribe to agree to a few things this year...a few percentage point drop in their share of the wild fish (it's still grossly overallocated to the tribe), counting their ceremonial/subsistence fish as part of their allocation (not required), counting some net dropoff as part of the allocation, and they agreed to the sport season staying open through April 15 this year.

Like I said, still far, far, far from perfect...but a few baby steps were made this year.

WDFW was the lead entity in the negotiation, but there were others involved...CCA was not to my knowledge involved.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 12:07 AM

Todd,

Thanks for the answer, I was just wondering who the "we" was.

Matt
Posted by: huntncoug

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 01:55 AM

One of my biggest pet peaves in politics is the setting of policy based on politics and not scientific fact. This fish should have been released morally and should not have been allowed to be kept legally!
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 12:33 PM

Bummer the fish isn't still swimming up river to spawn.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 12:41 PM

Bummer deal, lack of knowledge on the part of the speyin banki....he will come to learn of his mistake, and hopefully he becomes a better user of the resource down the road
Posted by: Fishguy50

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 01:28 PM

All the grossly misguided anger toward the guy that bonked the fish, it's sad. Yes the bonker was wrong, but not the actual "culrprit". The actual culprit's are the Federal fish mismanager's, the tribe's, and the WDFW. I can promise you that if the anger was properly targeted, we would have better results.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN

Always How Never Where!

Huh? please explain.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: thefishnfool

Matt

This is a concern that I too have had about a lot of different fisheries. Put a severe limit on retention and all of a sudden the only fish that are being killed are the ones that need to spawn the most. Knowing what is known about genetics and how quick genetic populations can change with severe selection pressures (ie......not keeping as many fish but only the big ones), what would be the possibility of getting a max size limit put on these fisheries say @ 35" or something like that. In our current state of negotiations with the tribes and forgone oppertunity, we wouldn't be giving up numbers so they wouldn't be able to increase netting pressure. All it would do is somewhat protect the larger genetics in the system that are probably the easiest to bread out of a pop. since it is overall a smaller part of the overall population. Any thoughts or concerns with this that I am not seeing???

Tim

Anyone??? Or are we more interested in biaatching about a fish that is already dead instead of what could be done to fix the problem?

Tim
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 03:56 PM

29 wild fish kept over the weekend, with only 9 released, according to the checker's report for the weekend for the Lower Hoh mad
Posted by: Tackle Shack

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 03:57 PM

Tim most dudes have you on there ignored user list. Perhaps if I quote you someone will respond.

The baker

Matt

Tim

Anyone??? Or are we more interested in biaatching about a fish that is already dead instead of what could be done to fix the problem?

Tim
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 04:16 PM

Tim,

From a biological perspective I'd only worry about anglers selectively killing large fish if the overall exploitation rate is high. The Hoh data I looked at shows small run sizes with a very small harvest rate. Because the total population is becomming small, there might be some cause for concern, but that pales to the concern I have for the population being chronically under-escaped.

I believe it's only a matter of time until all of WA requires wild steelhead release. Wild steelhead have been in defacto museum management mode for three decades in this state, but there's a general unwillingness to acknowledge the handwriting on the wall.

More important IMO is to establish a meaningful and realistic (comporting with productivity and capacity) spawning escapement goal and then actually manage for its attainment instead of below it. I have the same sympathy for the Hoh Tribe as I do any treaty tribe. I'm on board with the fishing as intrinsic to their culture, but circumstances change, and the Tribe's fishing needs to comport with the productivity of the river and the allocation specified in US v WA. I can't imagine a better life than living on the WA coast and extracting a living, especially one with ties through many, many generations. However, one inalienable fact of life is that life itself is uncertain. Any sense of entitlement, by a Hoh fisherman or anyone else, that because one once made a living doing a certain thing in a certain place that they should expect to be able to do so forever, is formed in ignorance. Respect for tradition is a good thing, but tradition isn't currency, nor can you eat it. I'm saying that if one can't make a living fishing, then it's time to learn another trade. The ancestors would understand. It's what they did down through the ages.

Sg

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 04:18 PM

Salmo....thank you. That makes sense and thats why I posed the question. I am not a bio.....just pointing out a trend that I have seemed to notice.

Tim
Posted by: Doug Kelly

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 04:19 PM

Not trying to justify the killing of this fish, BUT something to take inconsidration ?, someone mentioned he was from England? and someone also mentioned he PROBABLTY read the regs? Not knowing the situation about Nates in the N. W. (like a chef Back east) He may not of know? thinking leagal to keep one nate was a normal situation reguardless of size?

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 04:26 PM

I dont know the regs in the UK but if I went over there and caught one of the biggest chalk stream trout they had ever seen, I still wouldnt club it... regardless of if I thought it was the norm or not.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: OPfisher
I dont know the regs in the UK but if I went over there and caught one of the biggest chalk stream trout they had ever seen, I still wouldnt club it... regardless of if I thought it was the norm or not.

i think that is more to do with culture then it has to do with the fish.
90% fo the english, russian, etc etc etc keep 90% of the fish they catch. they do it for food and NOT sport. like alot of americans do.

so for one of us to go over to another country and C&R imo is alot different. we, at least in the northwest know how important C&R is to our sport. and we also know how badly our beloved wdfw manage our resources and the impacts of keeping all the fish we catch weather they be hatchery or natives.

when someone comes from another country to fish in my mind they are fishing for food. alot of them read the regs and keep what they read is legal to keep. i hold no fault in the fisherman if that is the case.

even with hatchery fish. if we were to keep every single hatchery fish we catch then hatcheries wouldnt make thier quota's and we would be in the same boat with very low escapement of hatchery fish. which is the case alot of times anyway with very poor returns.

the main fix for any problem we have with natives or anything in this state when it comes to wildlife is that we need people in charge that can actually manage our resources.
Posted by: Pugnacious

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Tim,

From a biological perspective I'd only worry about anglers selectively killing large fish if the overall exploitation rate is high. The Hoh data I looked at shows small run sizes with a very small harvest rate. Because the total population is becomming small, there might be some cause for concern, but that pales to the concern I have for the population being chronically under-escaped.

I believe it's only a matter of time until all of WA requires wild steelhead release. Wild steelhead have been in defacto museum management mode for three decades in this state, but there's a general unwillingness to acknowledge the handwriting on the wall.

More important IMO is to establish a meaningful and realistic (comporting with productivity and capacity) spawning escapement goal and then actually manage for its attainment instead of below it. I have the same sympathy for the Hoh Tribe as I do any treaty tribe. I'm on board with the fishing as intrinsic to their culture, but circumstances change, and the Tribe's fishing needs to comport with the productivity of the river and the allocation specified in US v WA. I can't imagine a better life than living on the WA coast and extracting a living, especially one with ties through many, many generations. However, one inalienable fact of life is that life itself is uncertain. Any sense of entitlement, by a Hoh fisherman or anyone else, that because one once made a living doing a certain thing in a certain place that they should expect to be able to do so forever, is formed in ignorance. Respect for tradition is a good thing, but tradition isn't currency, nor can you eat it. I'm saying that if one can't make a living fishing, then it's time to learn another trade. The ancestors would understand. It's what they did down through the ages.

Sg

Salmo G,

Thank you very much. That is EXACTLY what I have been saying since forever. Unfortunately I lack the vocabulary to make it sound like anything else other than racism or attacks. Or maybe anger masks what I am truly saying. In any case, this is precisely the facts. Intrinsic right does not entitle one to the deciding of fates. Especially when the majority sufffers as a whole as result of the few. I guess this is the quintessential America though isn't it? The masses controlled by the few. In spite of our founding ideals.

I'll seperate the rest so that it is not associated with what you said Salmo as I am sure what I have to say is not in line with what you have to say.

Whatever. Anyhow, unfortunately, I think that the near complete extinction of the native fish,if not complete extinction, may be the only thing that will change current ways. I am not a lawyer, some think they are and some are. So hold the comments, because most of them mean very little to me. What I care about is the future of my family being able to enjoy atleast some of what I did as a kid and adult. I have already forgone the bird hunting I cherished as a Jr. High and high schooler since EVERY single place I hunted on is now a house. But the fishing isn't gone yet. I just wonder what it will take before it is. I pray that it doesn't happen. Unfortunately, it probably means all of us giving up soemthing that we all love nothing more to pursue for a while. But just think. Heading out with little Timmy to the river to chase around mass quantity of steelhead and salmon. To actually have a legitimate chance at catching that elusive 30 lber. because they haven't gone the way of the Dodo bird. I have long believed the retention of any Native should be strictly forbidden. It doesn't make any sense to keep them. Why remove something from an already dwindling resource.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 08:14 PM

in my opinion the dude got excited and made what he will forevermore feel to be a horrible mistake.
Posted by: Salmonella

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 08:42 PM

This big nate was bonked last year on California's Smith River.
The only river in the state that allows bonking a nate.

Weighed 26.8lbs.

27.4lbs is the state record.

Lots of talk down here about this fish.

Not all kids would have clubbed him.

evil

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: LoweDown
in my opinion the dude got excited and made what he will forevermore feel to be a horrible mistake.

BINGO!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 09:38 PM

That is probably pretty true.
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 09:45 PM

The Hoh should be a wild steelhead and salmon santuary. Eliminate all fishing for five years. Stop planting hatchery fish. Then see if the numbers improve.

Some would disagree.

There are other rivers nearby that could still be fished.

Actually I'd like to see a river in each region managed similarly.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 09:57 PM

That might be an option. But I think that you would have to limit drainages. Single rivers would see benefit for sure. But I think to really make an impact closing drainages would be the smartest thing. Consider the Grays Harbor area. Or the Columbia. If we closed the drainage atleast we would be giving the fish the chance to get into the individual rivers. Alot of the fish that are harvested are coming from the salt before they get to the river. The others that get into the river are getting chased around by us and the netters. Maintaining the same catch numbers or even decreasing them at the same time would certainly improve the returns. Closing them for five years at a time would be even safer a bet. I would think anyways.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/23/09 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Salmonella
This big nate was bonked last year on California's Smith River.
The only river in the state that allows bonking a nate.

Weighed 26.8lbs.

27.4lbs is the state record.

Lots of talk down here about this fish.

Not all kids would have clubbed him.

evil

$%&**$#@!!!!!!
Posted by: willametteriveroutlaw

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: fishNphysician
Originally Posted By: LoweDown

BINGO!

I killed a 67lb buck on the kenai that I still regret to this day.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 12:30 AM

Closing the Hoh, as suggested, would leave the Hoh Tribe with no place to fish. The other tribes would probably not feel like inviting them over to fish.

Also. the fisheries in the ocean certainly take most of the Chinook harvest and a big chunk of the coho. So closing the river only helps some. the only logical place to harvest, especially when some runs are down, is to harvest selectively in the rivers.

It took us more than 100 years of fishing and habitat destruction to get here; it will take a lot longer than 5 years to get the trajectory pointed in the right direction.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 10:35 AM

Clsoing the HOH would leave a lot of people with no place to fish. But, if we don't start doing something, eventually no one will have any place to fish. 'Cause there won't be any fish to fish for! Sometimes dramatic action is what is required for dramatic results. There is not a single person here who WANTS to give up fishing for ANY amount of time. Bottom line, we have to to some extent. How long we wait to take appropriate action will determine what extent.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Steelheadman
The Hoh should be a wild steelhead and salmon santuary. Eliminate all fishing for five years. Stop planting hatchery fish. Then see if the numbers improve.

Some would disagree.

There are other rivers nearby that could still be fished.

Actually I'd like to see a river in each region managed similarly.

i thought that was why they made it selective gear no native coho retention till nov. rules on the quil,boggy,duc. to take pressure off thouse rivers and redistribute it to surounding rivers like the hoh and queets.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 12:45 PM

Closing the Hoh won't guarantee the steelhead population will rebound.

As an example, look at the Nisqually. Closed since 1993 but still not a huge rebound in numbers. I understand comparing a PS stream to a coastal stream may not be a fair comparison. My point is that just closing it doesn't guarantee an automatic rebound.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 12:48 PM

The problem with the Nisqually is manifold...besides the inner PS streams all going in the crapper, it's population was fished down to nubbins before it was closed...there are still fish in the Hoh, if we'd just let more of the spawn.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 02:31 PM

It did work with the dungeness they closed it for i believe 4 years to let the coho population rebound in the late 90's early 2000., and it did quiet well. after reopening up, untill last year, which was a tougher coho season.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 04:21 PM

Last years seson sucked big time. Tough? That is a gross understatement. That is what I mean by a drainage closure. It does no good to allow folks to net the mouth of a river. Plus, the type of fishing that takes place there by a lot people is anything but ethical. It is way easier to just close the whole thing so there is no confusion.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 05:50 PM

Redd_D,

In case Todd's oiling his reels for Thursday:

The NIsqually Tribe still fishes for salmon; chinook, coho, and chum seasons. They don't have a season targeting steelhead. They do catch a few incidentally in the latter part of the chum season some years, but not enough to be considered a causitive factor preventing run rebuilding; certainly not any more so than the whites who poach steelhead upstream of McKenna.

So in answer to your question, the Tribe still nets the Nisqually, just as the non-treaty recreational anglers still fish the Nisqually. Nobody gets to target steelhead - legally.

Sg

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 05:56 PM

Like Sg said, no directed fishery for steelhead by any user groups, just the occasional incidental catch during the chum fisheries...very occasional, due to the almost total lack of fish.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Metalicious

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 07:25 PM

This only one such specimen that is known to have been killed of late. There was a time when 30-pound steelhead were as common as 300 pound Forks women. How many 30's do you think wind up on the bottom of Jonas river scow down on the res in a season? Dozens....courtesy of the WDFW and ineffectual government policies, politics and personal.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: stonefish

As an example, look at the Nisqually. Closed since 1993 but still not a huge rebound in numbers. I understand comparing a PS stream to a coastal stream may not be a fair comparison. My point is that just closing it doesn't guarantee an automatic rebound.

How do you know? Have you had a chance to fish it?

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Pugnacious
Last years seson sucked big time. Tough? That is a gross understatement. That is what I mean by a drainage closure. It does no good to allow folks to net the mouth of a river. Plus, the type of fishing that takes place there by a lot people is anything but ethical. It is way easier to just close the whole thing so there is no confusion.

if your refering to the dunggy, it was a tough season not a total loss, the hachery still got there fish weather just didn't play into the best conditons for fishing and alot of the old holes had changed or disapeard. and as on any small river with decent size fish on it there are alot of unethical things done on them. doesn't mean they don't or wont bite. i dunno how many seasons you have fished it, but as for methis season i only did a few times. and as far as nets at the mouth thats ganna take some big changes over time. and i am not sure what rivers mouth isn't netted here. i mean there targeting chum now......thats bad. i'm for the c&r but shutting a whole river down i do not think is the answer.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 08:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that no one is fishing for those fish directly at all, on or off the rez...it wouldn't be worth their time, there aren't enough fish there.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. It's pretty well-accepted that the sporties are mainly responsible for the destruction of that run...40-60 boats every Saturday and Sunday, and most of them had three to six dead natives in the bottom of the boat at the end of each day...

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN

How do you know? Have you had a chance to fish it?

I've fished both the Hoh and the Nisqually. Growing up in Tacoma, I fish the Nasty a ton. Same with the Puyallup. Both are in the dumps now. Having been closed since 93, the Nisqually still hasn't recovered. The last numbers I remember seeing was between 600 to 1,000 fish returning. Those numbers are far from its past glory. Perhaps Salmo G or Todd may know a more current number. As I mentioned, comparing a PS river to a coastal river isn't really a fair comparison. Again, my point was that closing something doesn't neccesarily guarantee the fish will return. There are lots of variable involved, especially with PS rivers.

I'd rather see the Hoh remain open under total wild steelhead release and some cooperation with the tribe to reduce their impact.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 10:00 PM

Reading about the decimation of runs of Natives by "sporties" gets me to wondering about another small river that is I believe currently is closed to steelhead fishing.

What happened to the Dosewallips? It appears to be a river that would support a Run of winter steelhead. Yet is closed to fishing.

Was there at one point a sustainable fishery, and our co managers elected to collect 100% of the run. Or was there some kind of natural disaster that affected the spawning grounds.
Posted by: fishbreath

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 10:21 PM

The Nisqually is where I learned to catch Steelhead. Yes, the sporties caught lots of fish but the tribe caught just as many I believe. I think both user groups did equal damage to the runs. When the word did get out about the quality of the fishing it did turn into a mini Cowlitz. I remember when the pressure escalated ten fold I called WDF to plea to lower the catch limit from two fish per day to one and the answer I got was, "The Nisqually has a healthy run and we aren't going to let anything happen to it". I sure miss fishing and catching those fish.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Jason Y
Reading about the decimation of runs of Natives by "sporties" gets me to wondering about another small river that is I believe currently is closed to steelhead fishing.

What happened to the Dosewallips? It appears to be a river that would support a Run of winter steelhead. Yet is closed to fishing.

Was there at one point a sustainable fishery, and our co managers elected to collect 100% of the run. Or was there some kind of natural disaster that affected the spawning grounds.

dont forget the duckabush. my grandparents live on the river and the old timers who i know live there and have fished it for 30 or 40 years tell me all about the "good ol' days" on the duckabush. and the local indians i know that "use" to net it, openly tell me they are the ones that wiped that run out. "they" messed up and know it.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 10:56 PM

Talk about thread drift . . .

30 pound steelhead have never been common at any time in recorded history in any part of their range, which is probably why it is so noteworthy when one is caught.

People still fish for steelhead on the Nisqually, but they do it illegally, and if it were as commonplace as some whites think it is among the Tribe and some of the Tribe think it is among the whites, we'd hear more about it from LE. Poaching does occur on almost all the rivers, by treaty and non-treaty fishermen, from what I hear and have seen over the years. But it doesn't occur at a level that would cause it to be the proximate cause preventing steelhead recovery.

The cause of the recent decline was fishing, treaty and non-treaty, taking advantage of a period of high freshwater and marine productivity. The run fell at the same time as the other Puget Sound steelhead runs did in the early 90s. Some recent escapements have been in the 800 range, still a long way from the 2,000 goal.

Coastal comparisons with Puget Sound rivers is mainly instructive in helping us figure out what's is presently limiting Puget Sound recovery. The Hoh steelhead have a better chance at a rapid recovery because coastal steelhead are experiencing generally higher marine survival rates.

Throwing the Dosewallups into this thread is apples and oranges. The Dose, Duck, and Hamma Hamma and some other HC tribs are in a class by themselves. There is no agreement about the proximate cause of decline, but over-fishing is at least a reasonably likely cause. Some of us believe that those HC rivers wild chinook and steelhead, and maybe coho, have been depressed so low that they are below the threshold of any natural rapid recovery. There is a steelhead recovery program presently taking some of those remaining fish into a combination captive broodstock and native hatchery smolt release strategy to maximize the potential to increase those runs to the point where they could recover on their own.

There was a common, if not natural, disaster in that fishery managers have believed they could continue doing what they've always done and get a better result. It hasn't worked.

Sg
Posted by: big moby

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 11:01 PM

good god! that is sad

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/24/09 11:53 PM

SG,
Thanks for the info on the Nisqually steelhead numbers. I'll admit I kept some fish out of both the Nisqually and HC streams in my younger years.
I recall talking to the GW about a a guy he busted on the Hamma Hamma with 12 steelhead in possession. That was in the late 70's.

Anyway, I'm sorry to have sidetracked the thread by bring up the Nisqually. Hopefully we can educate folks on the value of having wild steelhead runs in all our rivers.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/25/09 12:00 AM

Hopefully we can educate folks on the value of having wild steelhead runs in all our rivers.

Given the tone of the responses to a similar thread I posted on Ifish, I see little "hope" of changing the general attitude about wild fish conservation.

It's legal... let's kill 'em... it's all good.

Good God.... the fish don't stand a chance.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/25/09 12:13 AM

I hear you on that Doc. Lets hope those with the whack em and stack em mentality because it is legal stay south of us.
Posted by: Double Haul

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/25/09 12:39 AM

Doin' my part...

These are in need of updating but these charts tell the story of the downward trend, unless we have the fortitude and desire to step up and say enough is enough and create the changes needed.

http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/Repository/WSC_ESU%201_Charts%202006.pdf

Look at the Hoh, it has not made it's escapement in 4 of the last 6 years, but we are still allowing intense recreational and tribal harvest for wild steelhead! It maybe down to one per year, but the increase on the fishing pressure of the west end stream is becoming more and more crowded with a mentality of getting mine first that are putting the fish at risk. Unless we change and work to protect what we have.

http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/Repository/WSC_ESU%202_Charts%202006.pdf
Posted by: Driftfishnw

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/25/09 12:42 AM

Though, I fully practice and support catch and release of all wild steelhead. The problem that remains for other anglers and guides is the thought of one less fish thrown in a hole by the nations.

It gets a little frustrating when letting that bright cromo hen go, then a few minutes later watch a guy run a drift net through the hole you had just or are fishing.
Posted by: cupo

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/25/09 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: fishbreath
"The Nisqually has a healthy run and we aren't going to let anything happen to it".

Sounds familiar. They said that about all the PS streams and they're saying it about the forks area rivers now.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/25/09 01:45 AM

The grass is always greener on the other side huh. I don't know whether to keep pressing the same issue over and over again or just throw my hands up quit. It seems people are doomed to repeat the mistakes that were made by our previous generations. We know no other way to learn than the hard way.
Posted by: Brant

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/25/09 11:50 AM

Read the "King of Fish" is you want to hear about repeating the mistakes of the previous generations. The book is all about the collapse of various fisheries. Pretty sad.
Posted by: John Lee Hookum

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/25/09 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Brant
Read the "King of Fish" is you want to hear about repeating the mistakes of the previous generations. The book is all about the collapse of various fisheries. Pretty sad.

Good Book! David Montgomery authored this most excellent and informative source for information related to the issues and World history of the Salmon!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/25/09 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Talk about thread drift . . .

30 pound steelhead have never been common at any time in recorded history in any part of their range, which is probably why it is so noteworthy when one is caught.

People still fish for steelhead on the Nisqually, but they do it illegally, and if it were as commonplace as some whites think it is among the Tribe and some of the Tribe think it is among the whites, we'd hear more about it from LE. Poaching does occur on almost all the rivers, by treaty and non-treaty fishermen, from what I hear and have seen over the years. But it doesn't occur at a level that would cause it to be the proximate cause preventing steelhead recovery.

The cause of the recent decline was fishing, treaty and non-treaty, taking advantage of a period of high freshwater and marine productivity. The run fell at the same time as the other Puget Sound steelhead runs did in the early 90s. Some recent escapements have been in the 800 range, still a long way from the 2,000 goal.

Coastal comparisons with Puget Sound rivers is mainly instructive in helping us figure out what's is presently limiting Puget Sound recovery. The Hoh steelhead have a better chance at a rapid recovery because coastal steelhead are experiencing generally higher marine survival rates.

Throwing the Dosewallups into this thread is apples and oranges. The Dose, Duck, and Hamma Hamma and some other HC tribs are in a class by themselves. There is no agreement about the proximate cause of decline, but over-fishing is at least a reasonably likely cause. Some of us believe that those HC rivers wild chinook and steelhead, and maybe coho, have been depressed so low that they are below the threshold of any natural rapid recovery. There is a steelhead recovery program presently taking some of those remaining fish into a combination captive broodstock and native hatchery smolt release strategy to maximize the potential to increase those runs to the point where they could recover on their own.

There was a common, if not natural, disaster in that fishery managers have believed they could continue doing what they've always done and get a better result. It hasn't worked.

Sg

SG
I figured that if the Nisqually way fair game in this thread. No reason, the Doseywallips should not be brought up. It has the appearance of pristine natural habitat.

Based on what I observed, there should be steelhead in every hole. It is a awesome little river. After the “generally accepted” comment on the Nisqually I thought perhaps there was an theory on the Dosewallips as well. I appricate your feedback, on the Dosey comment.

Back to the original post, I had a gut ache for two days thinking about the fact that a tremendous specimen of a fish was killed. It still makes me angry, I know it was his “right” and it was legal. However it still pisses me off.

The thread could have gone south in a hurry
Posted by: Wooly Bully

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 01:03 AM

Bleeder? [censored]! it's complete BS that the fish was bonked but IMHO the anger and outrage should fall squarley on wdfw for ignoring the situation on the Hoh and allowing the wild retention to continue.
THEY ARE THE moron idiot stupid retard dumbass loser asshole fool dumb jerk jackass imbecile douchebag retarded fag fucktard tool dipshit ass dickhead douche dork bitch gay tard faggot [censored] dolt dummy dick wanker twat [censored] prick bush noob ignorant [censored] douche bag asshat nerd annoying shithead dumb ass george w. bush bastard [censored] cretin clueless simpleton posers that will not grow a spine and force the Hoh tribe to face the reality of the situation.

The International Game Fish Association should be deluged with letters demanding thet they stop keeping records for wild steel. It seems that this potential world record might have been a pretty strong motivator for English Pete's descision to kill it.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Wooly Bully

The International Game Fish Association should be deluged with letters demanding thet they stop keeping records for wild steel. It seems that this potential world record might have been a pretty strong motivator for English Pete's descision to kill it.

Now that might be the best post to come out of either of these threads...I'll look into it.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 07:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Wooly Bully

Now that might be the best post to come out of either of these threads...I'll look into it.

Fish on...

Todd

+10
Now we're getting somewhere.!!!
Posted by: Captain Q

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 11:06 AM

Great idea Wooly!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 01:12 PM

Note: I couldn't tell if the photos of the Hoh fish in the "rest of the story" thread could be viewed or not. I got third or fourth hand email with the photos as attachments. Having not figured out how to post pics yet, I'll email them to anyone who wants them and maybe post them up.

One photo does show the fish bleeding. Not to judge, but I saw a nice steelhead hooked on a tight swung fly on the Skagit two years ago that got the hook partially into a gill arch. So bleeders are possible on the swung fly. The Skagit fish was released, and I'd guess a 50:50 chance of surviving. Such wounds are sometimes survivable.

Sg
Posted by: fishhog

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 01:55 PM

These photos will not appear on this site, thanks.
Posted by: Streamer

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 02:05 PM

Wow...

How awesome...

beathead

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 02:41 PM

[quote=fishhog]Here's some of the pics

LAME
Posted by: Timber

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 03:11 PM

What an amazing specimen!!

How sad the retard killed it!!

In the lower pic you can see ripped gills hanging out..That was a survivor..Its hooked in the freekin nose for shiit sake!!!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 03:14 PM

Musta had a rough journey upstream.
Looks like he bashed his head on the rocks trying to reach the spawning grounds....

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 03:33 PM

I often wonder what makes this disgusting.....

And this acceptable.....

Posted by: charr

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 03:58 PM

What a magnificent fish! It breaks my heart knowing that it's dead.
I don't know how anyone could justify killing it even if it was his first.
Saying it was a bleeder is a crock! The fly is clearly in the lip.
Sooooo sad!
Posted by: FLGator

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 04:51 PM

My guess would be that the fish was bleeding from the gills as a direct result of the way it was handled, not from the hook.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 05:23 PM

I've heard that sometimes when you bash their heads with rocks then rip their gills out...

...they bleed.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 05:37 PM

I've heard that sometimes when you bash their heads with rocks then rip their gills out...

...they bleed.

You can't believe everything that Superfly says.
Posted by: Metalicious

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 05:39 PM

Much of the banter on this issue has been emotionally inspired, as steelheaders we are passionate about "our" fish. From a logical standpoint, there was NO reason to kill this fish for a trophy mount. Dave Campbell, among other talented artists currently have molded replicas of the EXACT dimensions of that fish. That fact he was not aware of available replicas in that size range when he put the tape measure on it only speaks to his immaturity as a steelheader. I surmise it was bonked before the tape measure was even extracted. Based on his tale about bonking it because it was bleeding from the gills, after a 45 minute battle, while posting photos with the fly visible firmly tucked in the fishes lips..............?

BS.

You're a liar, Pete. May God have mercy on your soul. From the looks of your photo you're going to meet him SOON!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 06:27 PM

Bonky woulda had a better defense if he'da stuck with the "it's my legal right" argument (as lame as that is), instead of making up some bull$hit story that many of us know FOR A FACT isn't true...

Dear Bonky: You coulda been just an ill-informed fisherman (or some such nonsense), but now the whole interweb world knows you are an a$$hole and a liar. You deserve every page of this...

Enjoy your trophy, dickhea.d...
Posted by: fishhog

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 06:28 PM

I had an opportunity to fish an extra day on the Hoh last spring with a Guide.
He says, would it be OK if one of my buddies tags along? Sure, a little company would be great. Oh but there's more.

I had one take me into the wood first cast of the day and that was it.
My boatmate mentiones he'd like to take a fish home. Hmmmmm Ok with me I think.
Then he ties into a nice big buck, lands it and straightens it's eyes out with a rock. W T F !!!!! Needless to say, it was a rather quiet boat ride the rest of the way down.

Threw it on a scale when we got back and it weighed 20#. Granted, it was a legal fish for him to keep, no question. BUT...... Just because its legal, doesn't make it right!!!!!
Posted by: Barbless_

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 07:14 PM

Unbe[sensored]lievable. Someone who would post that on the internet with their face uncesensored... makes you really believe that this dipshit really doesn't know any better. Go back to England you old British Fag.
Posted by: GoneFission

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: OPfisher

i think that is more to do with culture then it has to do with the fish.
90% fo the english, russian, etc etc etc keep 90% of the fish they catch. they do it for food and NOT sport. like alot of americans do.

so for one of us to go over to another country and C&R imo is alot different. we, at least in the northwest know how important C&R is to our sport. and we also know how badly our beloved wdfw manage our resources and the impacts of keeping all the fish we catch weather they be hatchery or natives.

when someone comes from another country to fish in my mind they are fishing for food. alot of them read the regs and keep what they read is legal to keep. i hold no fault in the fisherman if that is the case.

even with hatchery fish. if we were to keep every single hatchery fish we catch then hatcheries wouldnt make thier quota's and we would be in the same boat with very low escapement of hatchery fish. which is the case alot of times anyway with very poor returns.

the main fix for any problem we have with natives or anything in this state when it comes to wildlife is that we need people in charge that can actually manage our resources.

I'd like to take this line of thought a bit further; let me step on this here soap box...

Those who live and breathe on internet fishing boards and post away on threads like this don't really live in the real world. They take for granted the concepts that are preached and pounded into the collective conciousness of the PP membership--one of those being the notion that native fish have intrinsic value above and beyond the dinner table. The general public has absolutely no concept of this, and the general fishing public is only a little better. Thanks goodness the Northwest salmon/steelhead fishing community knows better... Oops--our apparant "truth" about the unmistakable value of native steelhead is not even close to understood (or at least practiced) in our own backyard.

From the WDFW weekender report:

" Cooper said that during these conditions anglers tend to fish the Hoh River, where a Feb. 13-15 creel check showed that 200 anglers on the lower portion came up with 32 hatchery steelhead and 30 wild (eight released). During the same time period, 33 anglers fishing the Sol Duc caught three hatchery steelhead and 9 wild (two released)."

Roughly 75% of steelhead anglers are exercising their right to keep native steelhead. Apparantly, most of the WA state licensed anglers have not been educated at the University of Piscatorial Pursuits. If the native steelhead philosophy asserted by the moral majority on this thread is not placed within the context of sound science and filtered of its emotional attacks, it is little better than cult mentality.

Also, in the fairy-tail world of a steelhead lifer, wouldn't there be rivers capable of supporting harvestable numbers of wild steelhead? Not saying that we're anywhere near there, but if that's not what we all want, then what exactly is it that a steelhead lifer dreams about? Are we not angered by the kill of this unique fish most of all because we'd like the opportunity to catch one ourselves (or for our children)? If the answer to that is yes, then our motives are selfish as well--albeit much less so--but certianly not beyond reproach. Unless you're one of those that is most angered because fish are meant to swim entirely unmolested in rivers (translte to PETA), you're guilty of exploiting the resource--I know I am.

My point is that we speak of native steelhead retention like it's a despicable act--no matter what the context--yet under better circumstances, wouldn't we all like to have such an option? I'm a lifer for sure, and that's what I dream about, but until the numbers support the dream, I'll keep on pardoning the natives that find their way onto the end of my line. In fact, before I knew the scientific differences between hatchery and wild fish (a nuance that science is still trying to fully unravel) I used to let lots of brats go too, mostly because whether born over gravel or concrete, just beating the odds and making it back home is worthy of respect, and for that, it was fun to watch them swim away.

-GF
Posted by: bugrod

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 08:25 PM

Adding my two cents

Though I prefer that this fish would have been released and my take is that the bleeding from the gills was a direct result from the fish being lifted by the gill plates ( that is a lot of weight to support). I can only bitch a little about it because the angler was with in his legal rights to harvest that fish. What really bothers me is the fact that if we remove the right to harvest native steelhead from that river by the sport angler, the sport portion of the "harvestable" fish by treaty rights would be harvestable by the native americans ( and would be). So even if we choose to do what we (sport angler) can the boost the native steelhead by mandating release, we and the fish are still screwed.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 08:41 PM

I think it's a valid point that some folks have no idea how valuable a wild fish is to the future of our sport, or how badly treated the Hoh run is in particular...but the fact that the dude felt the need to lie about it being a bleeder shows that he knows damn well it wasn't cool, but did it anyway.

He did it to have his name in the books, period. I hope his dick doesn't fall off from stroking himself too hard.

On a related note, I contacted the IGFA today about the procedures for recommending the removal of a fish from the list of potential records...haven't heard back.

I sure hope I do hear back soon, and a bunch of letters/emails from concerned citizens around here will help. I'll let you all know.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Capt Downriggin'

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 08:47 PM

If you thought killing that fish was sick, I just read "his" post on another board where "he" didn't have a spot to store it and after 4-days feed it to his dogs....
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 08:49 PM

Justr because something is legal doesn't make it right. Just because WDFW and the Tribes say there is a "harvestable" number doesn't make it so.

What were the salmon and steelhead runs like in 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s? In every case, those resposnible for the resource told us therer were harcestable fish. If this wewre true, why are the runs continuing to decline? I know habitat is a problem but the Columbia was overfished before dam 1 was built.

If habitat was such a huge problem, why are Puget Sound cutthroat and char showing nice population rebounds. They spend yttheir whole lives in eoither a PS river or the Sound itself.

The ocean is the problem, you say. The pinks and chum should be crashing. If we want stromng populations of wild anadromous salmonids into the future we have to simply stop killing them. Wuth better habitat protection, where it exists, and restoration where it is logical, we ban get back to some pretty strong runs. To keep them that way kill will have to severely limited.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 08:50 PM

CDR, that thread is a joke...unless you already knew that. That fish was caught on the Kispiox this fall, and the dude took 61 photos before releasing it.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 08:52 PM

Gotcha... That's what happens when you're away for too long...
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt Downriggin'
If you thought killing that fish was sick, I just read "his" post on another board where "he" didn't have a spot to store it and after 4-days feed it to his dogs....

You're joking right ?

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 09:29 PM

Saw it with my own two eyes... Unless you're referring to me not knowing about the joke...

Still posted.. I guess someone just wanted to stir the pot.. Had me going!
Posted by: Sabi

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 10:11 PM

This guy legally bonks a fish of a life time and some of you are threatening his life. Somethings never change on this site. I've never seen such a backwards group.
Posted by: BCB

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/26/09 11:51 PM

It's not against the the law, just against the the law of Fish & Nature!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/27/09 12:49 AM

Quote: Gone Fission
"Are we not angered by the kill of this unique fish most of all because we'd like the opportunity to catch one ourselves (or for our children)? If the answer to that is yes, then our motives are selfish as well--albeit much less so--but certianly not beyond reproach. Unless you're one of those that is most angered because fish are meant to swim entirely unmolested in rivers (translte to PETA), you're guilty of exploiting the resource--I know I am."

That is exactly why everyone here is so pissed off. Every single time one of those fish is removed from the gene pool it is that much more unlikely that anyone else will get a chance to catch one. While I am pretty pissed about it I try to withhold my comments toward the individual. I have never caught one that size. I may never catch one even close to that size. But I would sure like to know that the oppurtunity is still there. When I first arrived on the peninsula, I arrived with high hopes about making a story of my own about hooking into one of the world renowned hog steelhead. I honestly can say I am hugely disappointed. I put in as much time as my job and family allow me. But for a place that is praised as having some of the worlds best fishing for steelhead and salmon, I think the mark was missed. With that said, as long as there is retention allowed while the numbers are dwindling, we jeopardize our chances of passing along the oppurtunity to our kids and other future anglers. And that is why the practice should be so heavily attacked. If for no other reason than the next guy that hooks one might think about it a little harder before he banks the next trophy.
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/27/09 01:15 AM

I think it's a valid point that some folks have no idea how valuable a wild fish is to the future of our sport, or how badly treated the Hoh run is in particular...but the fact that the dude felt the need to lie about it being a bleeder shows that he knows damn well it wasn't cool, but did it anyway.

Roger that. . .reminds me of a Mark Twain quote. . ."don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly don't tell them where they know the fish".

Hey waita minute, that sounds like a good signature line,

fb
Posted by: On The Swing

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/27/09 03:43 AM

THANK YOU BARBLESS!! for saying what needs to be said.
there IS coming a time and it will be soon that the cylces of life interconnected in the environment around us are going to come un-hinged...then we are truely screwed. "harvesting" fish of this nature is just insane, especially some of our friends that love to take clients in and love to kill those fish(which is a whole other breed for a whole other topic), but with current technologies and the info of fish runs all over our papers and mags, it is coming to the time where the old excuse of "i didnt know" is just unnacceptable. you CANNOT be a fishermen, hunter, or any outdoor user nowadays and not be looking to the scientific facts surrounding your sport, your life, your local watershed. The whole fact that your even allowed to kill that fish is the point. fish and wildlife seems to say that they are there to "manage the PEOPLE utilizing the resource, not the actual resource itself"....after the last 20 years,hmmm, anyone want to punch a whole in that theory? What one of us wouldnt give up the right to fish the OP rivers if we could have management backed by sound science and that has their eyes on the right prize!(ohh, but what IS the right prize?)... that is really the question...what kind of sportsman do you consider yourself in an honest fashion.
This guy has no excuse...oh, he's from across the pond...SO f-ing WHAT!! their waterways have been decimated to the point of total kill, or a pay to play opportunity. he knows of their fisheries obviously, and if he learned how to catch one over here odds are that he did enough research to understand the fishery a bit. this guy just made a very dumb mistake, i hope he regrets it. i dont wish any harm to the man either but damn if i wouldnt like to talk to him for a bit... or maybe show him a couple power point presentations. slap

as for bankwalker,sabi, and all the other critics out there saying its okay, or that we are being to hard on him:
to quote C Herb Williams
"We have many hunter and fishermen, but a relative few carry the load for all the rest in the interest of conservation and wise use of the resources. They prod lethargic legislatures and shake up an uncaring public. They dont hesitate to criticize fish and game depts. if they feel the critisism if just and deserved.
Often these men and women from all walks of life will meet over a weekend during some of the best fishing and hunting of the year, giving up their own sport of the moment for the long-range goal of good resource management.
For most of this century, these organized sporstmen have been the only private citizens working for the conservation. They have been joined by others recently, but they carried the load alone for more than half a century."

Where has the reverence for these fish gone? But then again, was it ever really there?
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/27/09 12:06 PM

Wow guys. What he did was legal. Be pissed a WDFW not this guy.

Though I will agree, he is a true Salvation Army douchepop.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/27/09 12:15 PM

just a bunch of jealous sour pusses

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/27/09 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Sabi

Please tell me your kidding.

Retention of any wild steelhead to get your name in the record book is morally wrong! Dont bother to argue, it will fall on deaf ears.

Anyone with any brains who fishes on any of the OP rivers and beyond, understands that things are bieng managed to extinction. Politics dictate how are fisheries are managed, and seldom does politics really fix anything.

This whole story is sad. I am sure the person who made that choice that day now regrets it.

People are using this thread to vent some of their frustrations......... Let them vent.
Posted by: MaxMad

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/27/09 03:47 PM

is this whole thread about a fish?
Posted by: JimB

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/27/09 04:55 PM

Where has the reverence for these fish gone? But then again, was it ever really there?

Todd this is an interesting statement. I can honestly tell you that for I am old enough to remember 30 punch punch cards, free refills and no concern whether it was hatchery or wild...didn't know since nothing was clipped.

It took me a long time to buy into CnR that was for Bass fisherman and I'd say fly guys but there were so few of them I had never seen one until the 90's. Back then we didn't fish for Chum or Pinks and laughed at those who did.

The frustrating thing for me now is the statewide law of no retention of wild steelhead....its that simple...or should be.

I also understand the drive to obtain a record. For years I wanted the state Coho, fishing the Chehalis almost exclusively for many years I knew I had a shot. I kept two fish that came within ounces of that record but I never got it. I will not own it now because I keep only hatchery brats, I put two 15+ coho back last fall, they were never out of the water nor were they netted. Hopefully those genes made it to the gravel.

I guess I am in the camp that I sure wish this fish wouldn't have been kept and yet somewhat understand the mentality of keeping it. I long for the old days when it didn't matter and innocent fisherman weren't criminalized for doing nothing legally wrong.

JimB

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/27/09 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: sykofish

People are using this thread to vent some of their frustrations......... Let them vent.

Nicely said man.

Several times I've commented...but failed to hit the "Submit button". Been venting in my own quiet way.

You're ok in my book, skyofish.

Mf
Posted by: GoneFission

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/27/09 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: JimB

Todd this is an interesting statement. I can honestly tell you that for I am old enough to remember 30 punch punch cards, free refills and no concern whether it was hatchery or wild...didn't know since nothing was clipped.

It took me a long time to buy into CnR that was for Bass fisherman and I'd say fly guys but there were so few of them I had never seen one until the 90's. Back then we didn't fish for Chum or Pinks and laughed at those who did.

The frustrating thing for me now is the statewide law of no retention of wild steelhead....its that simple...or should be.

I also understand the drive to obtain a record. For years I wanted the state Coho, fishing the Chehalis almost exclusively for many years I knew I had a shot. I kept two fish that came within ounces of that record but I never got it. I will not own it now because I keep only hatchery brats, I put two 15+ coho back last fall, they were never out of the water nor were they netted. Hopefully those genes made it to the gravel.

I guess I am in the camp that I sure wish this fish wouldn't have been kept and yet somewhat understand the mentality of keeping it. I long for the old days when it didn't matter and innocent fisherman weren't criminalized for doing nothing legally wrong.

JimB

Well stated JimB. Anybody who fishes more than a season grows as an angler. My dad, 68 years old, went through the same evolution, as did most anglers of the 70's and 80's. Today, he's content as an evolved conservationalist; yet when I go back to my childhood home and look at the photos on the walls, I see shots (from the 70's) of boots with adipose fins and the hero (my dad) holding his prize with an ear-to-ear grin--that's just the way it was. I have a shot of my one-and-only kept native from the late 80's as a teenager--probably only my 3rd or 4th steelhead ever (and after hundreds still my largest)--and I recall the elation of catching that fish. If we've caught so many we've forgotten that sensation, well then I'm sure you've done your share of damage. Indeed, times have changed, I'd like to think for the better, but sometimes I wonder.

Anyway, you said it just right JimB. Thanks for a voice of reason.
Posted by: metalstud72

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 03:01 AM

...the fish swallowed the hook. he's a goner anyways

this fish was most likely 5 + years old, he's a goner anyways...they don't live longer than that.

...as for all of you that are dripping tears of sorrow for the gene pool, give me a f*ckin break, this fish was just lucky that it had never been caught and had the chance to grow into a monster, or just ate alot of food at sea. Look at your children who are overweight, take a look at what you feed them...all fish uncaught with the right food source would grow this large. Just think for every 30lb'er out there, there is most likely a 35lb'er somewhere in Russia or elsewhere.

the man that caugth that fish is a good man and did the right thing.

Would you rather have read an alternate article "game warden finds 32lbs steelhead carcass" or "man fly fishing battles fish of a generation"

if you are going to fish like men, then act like men....be responsible and be thankful for the blessings in your face.

G

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 03:20 AM

A real "fisherman" would be happy with pics and more happy on the C and R

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 03:22 AM

I think your the jealous one.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: metalstud72

this fish was most likely 5 + years old, he's a goner anyways...they don't live longer than that.

Would you rather have read an alternate article "game warden finds 32lbs steelhead carcass" or "man fly fishing battles fish of a generation"

Posted by: Flash_Frozen

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 04:46 AM

11 pages and no pic of this fish... dayum, good night.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 08:08 AM

...as for all of you that are dripping tears of sorrow for the gene pool, give me a f*ckin break, this fish was just lucky that it had never been caught and had the chance to grow into a monster, or just ate alot of food at sea. Look at your children who are overweight, take a look at what you feed them...all fish uncaught with the right food source would grow this large. Just think for every 30lb'er out there, there is most likely a 35lb'er somewhere in Russia or elsewhere.

if you are going to fish like men, then act like men....be responsible and be thankful for the blessings in your face.

G

Aren't you the guy that was crying over the dead duck photos?
chain

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 11:55 AM

metalstud, based your ideas, the fish may as well of have just died in the nest...and felt lucky for it.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 12:02 PM

the real pisser in this sad on going never ending saga is that it was caught a fly. totally flossed!

then the final aspect that will always eat brewer's craw is the the guy is English, prolly had bad teeth too.

it all just angers me. Englishman, flossed and bonked!!!!

there is zero warm and fuzzies with this story.
Posted by: Mingo

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 12:25 PM

then the final aspect that will always eat brewer's craw is the the guy is English, prolly had bad teeth too.it all just angers me. Englishman, flossed and bonked!!!!

here is a shot of him bragging about it later over a room temp MaCewan's Scotch Ale at the Rose & Douche Pub......

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Salmonella

G

Aren't you the guy that was crying over the dead duck photos?
chain

hehe, that was good.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jason B
Wow guys. What he did was legal. Be pissed a WDFW not this guy.

Though I will agree, he is a true Salvation Army douchepop.

Come on! Seriously? WDFW is a waning light in the conversation world. It is pretty much closing it doors and there will be no one to show up when you make the call about someone poaching or something else of the likes. We are left to regulate ourselves in this sport and if we say it is ok to harvest one giant then it is ok to harvest all of them. I mean really, it was only one fish and it was legal? How many people harvest their one fish a year? How many people come here to harvest the fish from somewhere other than Washington? If everyone can come here to harvest the native fish, even if it is one a year, the numbers get big quick. The only one that doesn't get big quick is the one that counts the number of fish that get to spawn.
Posted by: Turbulence

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Barbless_
Unbe[sensored]lievable. Someone who would post that on the internet with their face uncesensored... makes you really believe that this dipshit really doesn't know any better. Go back to England you old British Fag.

I have to admit Bob, that I am a bit flabbergasted that pictures of a fisherman and his catch were edited from this site because its such a touchy subject, yet this post has remained unscathed. What morals are we REALLY trying to push by letting this type of racial homophobic banter on PP after deleting a picture of a dead fish. If the guy was black and someone called him a NI**ER, would that fly around here too? Just curious. Removing the pics was a very political style move. Bravo. Lets try and keep things consistent eh.
Posted by: Turbulence

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 06:45 PM

I dont disagree with those of you who REALLY advocate catch and release, but for those of you who dont practice what you preach, SHUT UP! You know who you are.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 07:32 PM

Turbulence ... Our site policy, is no dead wild steelhead photos allowed. Sometimes I miss a few, but I try to keep up on it.

Other medium also have the same policy these days, such as the the line of Amato Publications.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 08:24 PM

Turbulence ... Our site policy, is no dead wild steelhead photos allowed. Sometimes I miss a few, but I try to keep up on it.

Other medium also have the same policy these days, such as the the line of Amato Publications.

that policy doesnt make much sence when its a legal action. does that for native salmon aswell? just curious cuase i never knew anything about not posting pics of dead native steelhead.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 09:10 PM

Are we done? Good comments from everyone. Over 10,000 hits. How much more does this need to go on. I almost regret starting the thread. The damn whiskey drunk hangover was to blame. What was I thinking? I wasn't. Especially the location, thanks Gilly. What I regret the most is that an individual has been threatened, chastised, scrutinized and belittled for something that is perfectly legal. Myself , I don't kill wild fish and have not for over 20+ yrs. that does not make me a saint. Until we have total wild C&R by law this will continue to go on. Let us please all get over it and move on. I will probably get more [censored] now than ever, but I had to get this off my chest. Thanks.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 10:15 PM

Here's to another whiskey drunk post smile. My brother got one 30# or very close to it today. Seem to be some very big brutes around this year. Kinda like the silvers..... Now if I could only find some time to fish!

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 11:12 PM

Measurements?

Come on, Neal... spill the goods.
Posted by: Dan Dan, TN man

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 11:34 PM

On August 30th, 1988 a Brown Trout was caught on the Clinch River just North of Knoxville, Tn. It weighed 28 lb. 12 oz. and is still the state record.

If I take you there tomorrow...or even within a river mile, you will find people fishing so close together they can literally hit each other with their lures.

I hope this does not happen to the HOH. I don't think the wild fish need anymore pressure.

My 2 cents.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 02/28/09 11:57 PM

Here's to another whiskey drunk post smile. My brother got one 30# or very close to it today. Seem to be some very big brutes around this year. Kinda like the silvers..... Now if I could only find some time to fish!

Very nice!! I hope he got a decent pic or two....

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 12:11 AM

Sir Peter sure is making the rounds. He's a star....in his own mind.

http://thebigpull.wordpress.com/
http://thebigpull.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/a-steelhead/#respond

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 12:18 AM

Before this [censored] fiasco's over with there will be enough fishermen fishing to ensure NO fish are poached .

Nice....Way to go man.

Mf

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 12:49 AM

to correct you mf, the brittish dude did not spout off about his catch..... it was others and thier cell phones. then it was spouted off on this board. then other boards and finally onto cnn and saudi news.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 01:02 AM

You've been drinking again?

Haven't you?

Mf

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 04:01 AM

Peter's own words in response to the blog:

The darker side of the story is that I killed the fish, something that I have never done in over 15 years of fly fishing in the USA. I certainly catch my fair share of fish but I have never taken a single fish at any time before. As you probably know Washington’s state laws let you to take one wild steelhead a year, there is no limit on size.

I certainly have bittersweet emotions. The elation of hooking a giant fish and beaching it but real trauma and actual stress about killing the fish. I am still upset at that part, believe you me I did not do it lightly. Emotionally I am scarred, I still have knot in my stomach over the whole incident. That has led me to ask myself the question: “ isn’t it time that all wild steelhead be released?. “ After all, if they lived long enough, and evaded seals, net’s and hooks, all those smaller wild steelhead that are killed each week, would stand a good chance of growing up to be a large size too.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 10:19 AM

nice fish peter...way to go!!! Not to worry. Some people aint happy unless they are miserable. You achieved what every fisherman dreams about, but never happens and to boot you did it on a fly rod. WOW!!!! My hats off to you.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: ChuckS

that policy doesnt make much sence when its a legal action. does that for native salmon aswell? just curious cuase i never knew anything about not posting pics of dead native steelhead.

Just because its legal doesnt make it smart.

im not syaing its smart or dumb. it just doesnt make sence at all to make something on the forum no allowed but yet they let the racial comments slide.

if its that way for native steelhead. then it should be for native salmon aswell. equal rights baby cool

this topic is a battle that isnt gonna be won. its on every forum, and there is multiple topics on it. the only solution is closing every single river to keeping natives. close them all down at the end of january.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Turbulence

...What morals are we REALLY trying to push by letting this type of racial homophobic banter on PP after deleting a picture of a dead fish. If the guy was black and someone called him a NI**ER, would that fly around here too? Just curious. Removing the pics was a very political style move. Bravo. Lets try and keep things consistent eh.

Turbulence:
I appologize for offending you bro... this was in referance to a Saturday Night Live skit, thought maybe someone might have seen it a time or two. One of Steve Martin's funniest from way back in the day.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: fishNphysician

Peter's own words in response to the blog:

The darker side of the story is that I killed the fish, something that I have never done in over 15 years of fly fishing in the USA. I certainly catch my fair share of fish but I have never taken a single fish at any time before. As you probably know Washington’s state laws let you to take one wild steelhead a year, there is no limit on size.

I certainly have bittersweet emotions. The elation of hooking a giant fish and beaching it but real trauma and actual stress about killing the fish. I am still upset at that part, believe you me I did not do it lightly. Emotionally I am scarred, I still have knot in my stomach over the whole incident. That has led me to ask myself the question: “ isn’t it time that all wild steelhead be released?. “ After all, if they lived long enough, and evaded seals, net’s and hooks, all those smaller wild steelhead that are killed each week, would stand a good chance of growing up to be a large size too.

nice revelation...too bad it took him killing it to have it..... confused
Posted by: Lil Red Sled

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 01:29 PM

Talk about a retarded bunch of inbred boots. I have been reading this thread off and on for a few days and can not beleive the BS.

This fish is a gift from the Quinalt Program that strayed.

I for one will be out there in the Forks area in a couple of weeks and hope to tied into one of these. Guess what retards, it more than likely will go in the box. If you have a problem with that too bad, deal with it!

Also, I can hardly wait to run those rivers in my sled. Lot of good boon-doggin water.
Posted by: Brad_tgl

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 01:39 PM

You better hope someone releases you from their grips otherwise you'll be looking up from the fish box.
Posted by: Two Dogs

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Lil Red Sled
Talk about a retarded bunch of inbred boots. I have been reading this thread off and on for a few days and can not beleive the BS.

I for one will be out there in the Forks area in a couple of weeks and hope to tied into one of these. Guess what retards, it more than likely will go in the box. If you have a problem with that too bad, deal with it!

Also, I can hardly wait to run those rivers in my sled. Lot of good boon-doggin water.

I will take you on my sled for one hundred dollars... kill as many fish as you want brother.

Hey... is this you Tom Hall?:

Or did you get screwed by him, and now trying to get vengance against him?
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bw

Well...........now you know.

And here on Bob's board, it only has to make sense to him. This isn't a courthouse.

Hope this helps.
----------------------------

It sounds like Peter may have had a change of heart. I thought that might happen.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 02:11 PM

best post in this hole [censored] show!
ya the hoh doesnt get 30lb nates on its own.......................... haha, your a funny dude!
Posted by: litlcleo

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 02:31 PM

I remember a few years back we were catching a bunch of hatchery springers on the Hoh.Deb said they were dip ins from the sol duck.I caught them all the way up to the shingle weaver hole.Dip ins my arse.The following year she was going to try and run dna tests on them and the wdfw moved her off the river.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 02:53 PM

Yeah, about that...

"We" can hardly wait too. How big is your sled? I still have $500 in hand for the Oxbow, tough guy... wink (you'll need it to fix your trailer cutit)

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 02:56 PM

make it to the park I'll double what hoh throws down smile

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 03:25 PM

Not to get personal...but in this case it's warranted. I believe I have a new leader on who I don't like. Pop a cork for lil red sled. Seeking to stroke ones ego with fishing always produces negative results.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 03:50 PM

Wow dude... not very smart to have your profile so public, and make such stupid comments. If you are going to write about how "retarded" everyone is, you might want to consider not posting your email address and have your business website listed as your homepage. Especially in this current housing crisis, I would think that someone in real estate would not want to pissoff any potential clients.

Just something to think about Tom F Hall thumbs
Posted by: summerrun

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 03:57 PM

Tom Hall the Realtor of the Stars at Fireside Homes in Shoreline...serving tools throughout Puget Sound. Just looking at him it appears his triple chin droops down to his flabby manboobs...good luck sledding the Hoh, you will need it. Cheers

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 04:19 PM

listen to all the tuff guys behind their monitors....lol...pathetic
Posted by: summerrun

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 04:24 PM

Ur pathetic Sabi, ill step out from my monitor anytime u tool...
Posted by: Streamer

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 04:29 PM

lame

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 04:37 PM

listen to all the tuff guys behind their monitors....lol...pathetic

Just curious... where were you when you posted that, tough guy?

Ohhh, you were behind a monitor. Okay.

At least this idiot [slapi] has the common sense not to tell the whole world who he/she is and what he/she does for a living when he/she is making an ass of him/her self.

Posted by: FishNg1

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 05:13 PM

Doh !!! Wonder how many angry emails he has received so far?

Steve

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 06:15 PM

Wow dude... not very smart to have your profile so public, and make such stupid comments. If you are going to write about how "retarded" everyone is, you might want to consider not posting your email address and have your business website listed as your homepage. Especially in this current housing crisis, I would think that someone in real estate would not want to pissoff any potential clients.

Just something to think about Tom F Hall thumbs

Stupidity is often blatently obvious for all to see. We didn't get into this housing crisis mess with a bunch of smart people.

Okay, back to the fishing. I hope to hook a 30 pounder on a green worm and post picks of it, and of it swimming away. And it may not even get to get officially measured, so maybe it won't be a 30 pounder, but it will be big. At least I hope. If not, oh well at least I'll get out there fishing, knowing there is the possibility, well, except for that one that didn't get away a few days ago by some dude.
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 06:25 PM

I too would like to hook and land an honest 30lb'r...I would also like to snap a couple of quick pics but I probably forgot my camera. I will smile when I watch it swim away and remember the event with great affection the rest of my life knowing that I did what I believed was right for the resource...not my ego.... ymmv.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 06:36 PM

lol @ summeruin...Hows the real estate biz? Thats whats got ya all uptite. Too many hours standing in the bread line? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Ya big old miserable puusycat.
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 06:45 PM

I've been called a lot of things but pussy cat is a new one...kinda' makes me perrr.

Come scratch my back...I don't bite.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 06:55 PM

rowVswade...good post by the way over the last few years...Always like what ya have to say. What a group of (fill in the blank)!!!! Can't everybody just be happy.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 06:55 PM

"We have met the enemy, and it is us".....

Wild steelhead were not allowed to be killed, in the whole State....then the OP people got involved, and many rivers in that area got changed to allow "wild kill"......

Be OK with me if we went back to "no wild steelhead kill" in this State, until such time as all rivers could be opened for wild kill, at the same time!!!!!

Be OK with me also.....if there was a policy of "no posting any pictures" of wild steelhead.......caught anywhere.....

If you want to post a picture of a "killed wild steelhead"....post on your refrigerator!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Rossiman

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 06:56 PM

lol @ summeruin...Hows the real estate biz? Thats whats got ya all uptite. Too many hours standing in the bread line? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Ya big old miserable puusycat.
Coming from the guy calling us out for talking from behind our monitors..... Get a clue tool, and get out from beneath your moms fat ass, maybe you will learn a few things.

Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night - 03/01/09 06:57 PM

My, this has deterioriated even further than I expected. Naptime!