Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard?

Posted by: eyeFISH

Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/18/09 09:05 PM

Buddy called me today about a hair-raising tale of one bold and brazen Steller sea lion that stole a 25# halibut right off of his cutting table while filleting the fish! And with half of the meat still unrecovered from the carcass! Steller came clean out of the water to snatch it... good thing someone's hands weren't in the wrong place!

FYI the number branded on the beast is #105. I suspect it was marked as part of the Columbia River sea lion project.

Another fur bag was on the scene as well... a Cali marked #1028. Probably another CR deliquent.

Fish checker had a story about one stolen right out the back of somebody's transom Igloo while he was busy maneuvering the boat. Apparently the big halibut's exposed tail was enough of a dinner bell to attract the thief.

It's only a matter of time before some one gets hurt in one of these incidents. These things have no fear of man, and have come to associate Homo sapiens with a free lunch!

Anyone else got a story to tell? Any numbers to help us track down the worst offenders?
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/18/09 09:45 PM

I got a .45 that will help track the one that tries that on my boat .. . Trespasser will be shot !!
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/18/09 09:50 PM

My most memorable one was the poodle on the Neah Bay dock. Leash and all about 5 years ago.
Posted by: FlyingAce

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/18/09 10:20 PM

There was a post on Salmon University fishing reports about a sea lion that jumped onto the dock and snatched a Halibut off of a cleaning table. Definitely hazard.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/18/09 11:33 PM

Un-fricken-believable!
Posted by: tinmanxx

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 12:31 AM

They are getting pretty aggresive at westport this year. The fish checker has been checking all mine in the boat this year and had one trying to climb in. The problem is the fish being cleaned on the dock or the carcases thrown in after the fish checker measures them. If there was no food they wouldn't be a problem. I leave mine whole then feed the remains to the coyotes and bald eagles in the field. They love me.
Posted by: ROCK

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: fishNphysician
Buddy called me today about a hair-raising tale of one bold and brazen Steller sea lion that stole a 25# halibut right off of his cutting table while filleting the fish! And with half of the meat still unrecovered from the carcass! Steller came clean out of the water to snatch it... good thing someone's hands weren't in the wrong place!

It's only a matter of time before some one gets hurt in one of these incidents. These things have no fear of man, and have come to associate Homo sapiens with a free lunch!

Anyone else got a story to tell? Any numbers to help us track down the worst offenders?

Well Doc the story is true!! Here goes .....After reeling up 700+ feet all day and not getting any big guys to bite I just take the next fish between 25 -30 lbs .We arrive at the launch to clean the boat and fish and while docking a sea lion greats us NO BIGGIE to me.Went to get table in truck and set it up next to the boat leaving about a foot of dock space.Pulled out two halibut and set them on the table. Terry and I start to clean them.I finished one side and turned over to cut down the lateral line from the tail to the head and my fish starts sliding off the table CRAP!so I grab the head and see why it was sliding off... M***&^%$#R came up on that 1 foot of dock space bit the tail and started sliding back in the water.Now at 6' 240lbs I ain't a small dude so the tug-a-war was on!!! Thought just maybe the tail would come off but no I couldn't get that lucky.As the fish continues to head toward the water so am I and I ain't about to get wet so once the fish is completely off the table I let go and say you win and a few other choice words.Sucker came back and started barking at us for more after it finished my halibut.

So yea I still have all my fingers one dime size scar on hand from the table and half a halibut.

Here is the culprit

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 04:11 AM

To answer your question ....Hazard all the way!!!

Do bad they are a protected species shoot whistle

I hope this is the same story you heard Doc and not another one.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 04:29 AM

Nope... my story was another unique episode.

Buddy came in with FOUR halibut but only left the marina with 3 - 1/2.

Same scenario, though... portable dockside cleaning table whipped out after a long day on the water.... and an unwanted furbag thinking a place-setting was put out just for his main course.

I notice your furbag has no unique identifier branded to his hide.

Got a call out to the Westport harbormaster who is both a friend and patient.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 04:46 AM

My story is the same one on Salmon University.

Todd Girtz called the harbormaster and WDFW and complained.Todd told my buddy one of them said can't do anything till someone gets hurt WTF rolleyes

Told the same story to Steve Ng Sat at LaPush the look he gave me.. Stunned!!

I just have to ask Ya all PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE SEALIONS!!!
Posted by: Phoenix77

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 09:33 AM

I still say, if the Indians insist on their right to fish, because of their deeply held ancient beliefs and ceremonies, then they should be required to follow all their ancient rites. I.e., all Indian from this area in the past were buried in seal/sealion skins. I think they should be held to this practice, or give up their rights, because of their ceremonial rites to catch fish from depleted fish runs.
Posted by: JTD

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 11:44 AM

Maybe it is time to make a few cardboard cut-outs and casually wait with a baseball bat. Bruises wouldnt be visable and it might even be fun. I would probably buy a halibut just for the chance to extract some revenge for my several lost fish over the years.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 12:27 PM

Big time Hazard.I had two coho ripped out of my hands while dipping them in the boat basin for a quick rinse down in Hammond a few years back.I could have lost my hand.I bought and installed a wash down after that situation.I alway's think of that morning every time I see the doc releasing kings out in the harbor as he's leaning over the boat,it's only a matter of time some one get's hurt during the glory shot.Clean your catch up @ the cleaning dock or in your boat and use a wash down.The day one of those fur bag's enters the boat for a meal it's game on and self defense.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: stlhead

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 12:54 PM

I used to bleed my coho on a short rope between the motors until one stuck his head right next to the spinning prop and ripped a nice one off the rope. Even though there has been a lot of sea lions around for decades they were never an issue for me so my thinking is the food supply is dwindling making them more desperate.
Posted by: Hoghunter

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 01:54 PM

My only comment is kill the bastards. They've become way too habituated to human's and it needs to stop. I bet if we could shoot a few of them this crap would stop. I don't think they like seeing their buddies being killed.
Posted by: stlhead

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 02:08 PM

That'd work on fishermen too.
Posted by: Jaydee

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
My most memorable one was the poodle on the Neah Bay dock. Leash and all about 5 years ago.

I think that year, one tried grabbing a little yapper-dog off of a moving boat too. Crazy.

+1 for hazard. A shy black bear is spotted in a residential neiborhood in north seattle sniffing at trash and whole team of Wildlife enforcment officers is dispatched. Sealions snatch pets and directly threaten humans in busy coastal marinas and nothing is done. confused What's it going to take? Ol' Hershel to get a hold of a kid? That bear didn't.
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 04:54 PM

A few years ago I was casting plugs for the fall coho near the Islander. Hooked a fish and this big, scary Califonian sent a chill up my spine. He knocked the fish off my line, and hopped up on the dock my way.
I drew my side arm and he never took it to the next level.
Didn't hook another fish there.

It's not normal to have to worry about these critters in the boat basin.
The Coast Guard asks if I have any weapons aboard... Kind of like the Grey Poupon commercial, "But, of course!"
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Hazard, nuisance, aggravation; all are accurate. They've completely taken over an entire dock at Pier 39 here.

Everybody except the people that would like to rent out those dock spaces think they're SOOOO cute.

They have about ruined the docks--- maybe the public can put the money up to rebuild them.
Posted by: R W B

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/19/09 06:22 PM

So I have contacted Coast Guard, Harbor Master and then NOAA and their person sent me this link.

"I have attached a couple of documents that you can review on how to deter pinnipeds and what deterrence methods are legal. I would suggest getting in touch with Special Agent Mickey Adkins if you have additional questions or concerns, he is aware of the issues in the Westport Marina and is working with our office on how to solve some of the problems people are experiencing. Mickey can be contacted at mickey.adkins@noaa.gov or can be reached at his office, 360-268-6239."

I suggest we give them the word repeatedly on this crap before someone is injured!

The one that stole our fish was the same black Stellar ROCK has the image of. It happened on Float 5 near the end where there were kids and others crabbing. I can't say for sure the number was 105 because I was never able to see that myself. I do know it's Cali counterpart was 1028 for sure! I had to blow wtaer hose in it's face to keep it off the dock.

We weren't throwing any body parts into the water since we were saving them for crabs later so it wasn't like we were asking for it. Everyone needs to really think about that picture you want to take holding them up on the dock they might come missing!! Pass the word!!
Posted by: Fins Only

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/20/09 01:14 PM

I support the enviroment 100%, but with that said we need to show these sea mammals whos boss. If it takes a Rifle than more power to it. These animals are very intelligent. Infact they are so smart that They have obviously come to the conclusion that we do not have the guts to alter this behavior. Unfortunatley this behavior is becoming more and more common each year.

This needs to get handled, violently if necessary!
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/20/09 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Fins Only
This needs to get handled, violently if necessary!

Be careful! I work with a guy in Ak. that was arrested for shooting at sealions. He was sentenced to 1 year in a federal pen. He only served 9 days do to over crowding but said it was the scariest 9 days of his life.
Posted by: A-DOG

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/20/09 02:30 PM

Here is my sea lion story from last spring. A couple of buddies decide we are going to skip work for the afternoon and go set some prawn traps. We figure what the heck lets go pick up the girls. Its a nice day. So we pull up to my house and Carol and our 6 year old jump on with the buddies daughter who is 7. I slide the boat off the beach and one buddy starts yelling at the top of his lungs. l look over and see what appears to be a large seal acting very aggressive. As I am putting out past my bouy (100' from shore) I see that it is a medium sized California Sea Lion and it is coming perpendicular towards the boat. This is when I realize that the thing is going to try to jump in the boat. Sure as [censored] he does his best Carl Lewis triple jump impression and lands halfway into the starboard side of the boat snapping teeth and all. In the melay the small girls are grabbed by the adults and I pop the boat up on plane in disbelief. Buddy is yelling again that its chasing us. I yell hang on and pound the trhrottle down. Sealion is then jumping wakes and makes it halfway in the boat again this time on the stern. That was the craziest thing I have ever had happen. I was in disbelief and the girls and the rest of the adults were shaken pretty badly.

After some phone calls to WDFW and NOAA I was told that you are able to defend yourself if your life is in danger, but you better have definitive proof. Touching off a round from the 06 off the front porch doesnt cut it. Furbag in the boat attacking me. Hells yeah its gonna die. Weapons on board with the kids has not been my favorite idea, however that situation could have gotten very bad very quickly and Im not going to take a chance on getting someone hurt because some furbag is having a bad hair day.
Posted by: seastrike

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/20/09 02:40 PM

Crazy story there A-Dog. I own guns but never carry unless I'm hunting. Maybe I'll change my mind after reading your story. I'll admit I like it when my buds carry while we are fishing.
Posted by: LoweDown

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/20/09 02:46 PM

Get a job Dave.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/20/09 02:49 PM

Well, since it's pick on Seastuck hour!

Originally Posted By: LoweDown
Get a job Dave.

agree

laugh
Posted by: blackmouth

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/20/09 04:47 PM

That's a truly amazing story A-DOG!
Posted by: Charholio

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 03:15 AM

Doesn't protection of property count for anything down there? I know it's the land of the liberal, but dang. When stuff like this starts happening with bears up here (AK), they either move them or kill them in the public's interest. Moving doesn't seem to be very cost effective nor does it solve the problem, as they come back.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 03:43 AM

Damned things are just like those bears on the Russian, Charholio... habituated to human freebies... with ZERO consequences!
Posted by: Phoenix77

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 09:26 AM

Hazing Sea Lions To Protect Salmon

Since early March, the states of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho have had federal permission to kill sea lions that prey on endangered salmon in the Columbia River.

The animals congregate near the Bonneville Dam, where salmon make for easy targets.

So far, wildlife managers have euthanized 10 sea lions. But there's also an effort underway to protect the salmon through hazing their predators.

Sadie Babits went out on the Columbia River to observe these scare tactics first-hand.

Bobby Begay steers his small boat up the Columbia River. His ties to the salmon here go back generations. As a member
http://news.opb.org/article/5024-hazing-sea-lions-protect-salmon/

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 10:39 AM

You need to do more thatn threaten them with a hockey stick Dave, their smarter than Turkeys.
They seem to stay away from my baot for the most part. We have an "understanding". evil chain
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Charholio
Doesn't protection of property count for anything down there? I know it's the land of the liberal, but dang. When stuff like this starts happening with bears up here (AK), they either move them or kill them in the public's interest.

Last time I checked, sealions were federally protected in Alaska too, so what would you do differently?

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 05:52 PM

If they enter the boat then it becomes self defense"Right"???.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: dewbie

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 05:53 PM

its not a crime if you dont get caught....
Posted by: Mikespike

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 06:13 PM

if you see one, try throwing it a beach ball. Then, when it's balancing the ball on it's head, shoot it.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 06:14 PM

UH OH PARKER!!! Looks like we're going to have to kill all the gophers rofl

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 06:16 PM

they even terrorize the golf course?! nothing is sacred anymore.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 06:16 PM

Oh,They need to be shot.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: willametteriveroutlaw

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: fishNphysician
Damned things are just like those bears on the Russian, Charholio... habituated to human freebies... with ZERO consequences!

Thats becoming a scary place to fish at night. I've been all over AK but that is the only place I have ever felt it necessary to carry a gun while fishing. (bears) I had a Black bear scare the [censored] out of me one time up there, walked down the river a ways and some A-hole from Anchorage feeding said bear. His excuse was he knew all about bears and that I should mind my own business. It didn't end well for him, had to talk to the park ranger and a trooper a bit later and was let off with a warning and a snicker.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikespike
UH OH PARKER!!! Looks like we're going to have to kill all the gophers rofl

It's a Call To Arms, Dogfish!

No worries, Mike, Andy and I have got this one covered.....

thumbs
Posted by: LoweDown

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 07:59 PM

Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts....
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 09:09 PM

Chopped up birdie feet........

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/21/09 09:20 PM

Mutilated monkey meat....

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 02:50 PM

french fried eyeballs

(freedom fried? grin)
Posted by: wildwillard

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 02:59 PM

Pickled pigs feet
Posted by: Doug Kelly

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 03:53 PM

And why is it they are federally protected ??? so it's ok to use federal ammunition

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug Kelly
And why is it they are federally protected ???

seal huggers

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 04:30 PM

Looks like someone has already stepped in to do the job.
$2500 rewrd for info on Sea Lion shooting in Westport

Luckily for me I have been no where near Westport in the past few weeks, so my alibi is good.

Who was it?
Posted by: willametteriveroutlaw

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 04:36 PM

I keep hearing all about this protected thing, but I have never seen one wearing a Kevlar vest.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 04:43 PM

Kevlar doesn't protect you from pokey things. Just some bullets.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 04:45 PM

Who was it?

i wish i was that cool....

but im not

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 05:08 PM

YLIA?

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 05:10 PM

YLIA?

EXACTLY

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 05:10 PM

woops, caps lock was on....i didnt mean to shout
Posted by: JTD

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 05:44 PM

It is too bad the artical didn't explain how they have become a nuisance in the marina.
Posted by: RDJ

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 07:12 PM

Obviously a crossbow bolt..Must have used a field point..Next time use a broadhead and it will finish the job...

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 07:16 PM

Um I was recently in Westport. It's all foggy though.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 07:20 PM

No hockey stick marks on it Dave, we all know that is your weapon of choice. I think your in the clear.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 07:28 PM

Right on.
I even pinched my barbs most of the time last week.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 08:01 PM

So you have muzzleloader seasons, rifle seasons, and bow seasons.
I think the hockey stick guys are getting the short end of the stick.
What gives?
I mean at least open it up for turkeys and cougars.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 09:35 PM

I'd pay money to see you take on a 200lbs cougar with a hockey stick, and not one of the ones you get off CL. . . ..

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: FishRanger
I'd pay money to see you take on a 200lbs cougar with a hockey stick, and not one of the ones you get off CL. . . ..

Zing!

Although I think Dave does use a hockey stick to get them out of bed in the morning.

Very...

hard..

to..

type...

with....

tears....

in...

your....

eyes.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Looks like someone has already stepped in to do the job.
$2500 rewrd for info on Sea Lion shooting in Westport

Luckily for me I have been no where near Westport in the past few weeks, so my alibi is good.

Who was it?

Anybody heard from "Fly" lately? grin

Somebody needs to explain to him that that isn't a reward for shooting the Sea Lion.
Posted by: sodfarmer

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 11:10 PM

Seastrike,
Maybe it's time to sell my hockey sticks

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/22/09 11:22 PM

F that sodfarmer. We are the outlaws. Feels good doesn't it?
Brion is right though...I wouldn't want to bring a hockey stick to a cougar fight.
Speaking of cougar fights...Andy you made me laugh. Tough chore these days.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/23/09 12:16 AM

You might keep that hockey stick handy for that bear that's roamin the town though Dave. They have a bit shorter reach than the cougars and I think they said he is only about 125lb, a little under your "usual" weight class, you should be fine.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/23/09 02:04 AM

Ok this is going to kill you sealion ranger...new girlfriend...thin....attractive.
Yeah I know. What's she doing with me.

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/23/09 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: seastrike
Ok this is going to kill you sealion ranger...new girlfriend...thin....attractive.
Yeah I know. What's she doing with me.

Well, when she's done with you, send her on out to the coast... unless of course she's got somethin' against Ornamentals.

Never mind... that was the Bowmore talkin'.

Or was it the Cuervo?
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/23/09 03:48 PM

Here Aunty and every one else.
Lets help this guy out. Feel free to add to this and post anywhere you think it might do some good.

WIMMEN wanted:
Deranged Redneck Ornamental Eye Surgeon with a serious anything to do with salmon problem in search of athletic 27 to 35 year old attractive mate that loves to fish.
Successful candidates will be able to sustain a min of 60 rod hours a week for at least one month at a time. Be proficient in both boat and house cleaning, Hold a pee for 13 hrs or not complain about peeing in a open boat with 3 or 4 guys she has never met before. Travel only to Alaska to fish all day long for 10 to 20 days strait with about 3 hrs rest a night . Capable of tying a Bimini twist on her own, cut plug and brine bait, cure eggs and correctly wrap a quick fish while she gets her 3 hrs of rest. Needless to say being proficient at towing, launching a boat along with parking truck and trailer are mandatory. Most importantly a positive attitude while continually insisting that he invites friends over to take fishing, cook for and drink with are an absolute must.

Send photos of yourself your boat or boats and what ever gear you may own
along with your fishing history. Recommendations from fathers and fishing partners may be of help as well.
All apps will be evaluated by Achewter and the top 20 percent will be passed on. All applicants must be open to and prepared for a screening date.
Posted by: larryb

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/23/09 05:41 PM

why does it have to be a wimmen?

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/23/09 08:31 PM

I toned it down a little bit John but I was *fairly* honest.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Westport sea lions. Nuisance or hazard? - 05/24/09 07:23 PM

Back to the sea lion......Fished bottomfish out of Westport today and saw nary an arrow sticking out of any of the half dozen fury fat bastards lounging on the dock.

Maybe it's toast.