Curing Eggs

Posted by: Speyguy

Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 09:49 PM

Question for all you egg cure people....It's been years since I used bait in the river/let alone cured any eggs. I saved the skeins from the 25lb King from Neah bay last weekend. They looked perfect(from what I remember), and immediatly got them in a bag on ice(20 minutes after landing the fish). Bought some Pautzke "fire cure" and they are cured at this point and look nice. Package says to freeze them with 3 options, 1"as is,2Drain and freeze, and 3 drain/dry and freeze. I was kinda hoping that I wouldn't have to freeze them at all....Just wanting any input. Sincerely, Tom
Posted by: Big Stick

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 09:59 PM

IMHO,if a drain is requisite,the cure is lacking.
Posted by: team cracker

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:07 PM

Freeze em in the juice, thaw and drain them when your ready to fish...
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:10 PM

No drain, after 2-3 days, put in seal a meal bags and freeze for 2-3-4 hrs then vacuum pack and put in refrig. and they'll last a long time...
With that Pautzke cure I like to add some sugar if i'm gonna fish steelhead or so sodium (salt) if i'm gonna fish salmon...but thats just me.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:11 PM

Well, there's not much to drain, if any, but I was just going by the back of the jar.....
Posted by: stlhdr42

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:13 PM

I prefer to strain them an hour or so then let air dry until you get the texture/toughness your looking for then shake in borax and freeze. I don't like wet gooey eggs while fishing. Also by drying them you can dry them slightly for bobber eggs, or longer for say freedrifting from the sled. If they are done right they don't get hard just a little tougher

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:15 PM

Mild freeze/Vacuum pack in fridge was kinda what I was looking for....thanks for that hint....Tom
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:17 PM

No need to strain. Just put them in a pint jar or two. Fill the jars and put a lid on them and put them in the freezer. They will last almost forever.

Take them out the day before and slowly thaw them.

When they are thawed and if you think they are too "wet", place them on a paper towel in some tupperware with a light piece of saran wrap over them in the fridge. Do that the night before you use them and by the time you get up at the ass-crack of dawn, the eggs will be perfecto.

I have never used that cure, so I have no idea how they are suppose to turn out when properly cured.

If you really want the "hard as a marble for those that are too afraid to use one bait per cast or drift drive-way bait", coat them with a layer of Borax when you leave.

Those who are afraid to burn through eggs do not get the fish. Fresh baits = fish.

thumbs
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:25 PM

Ira Yeager, Washington's first gudie NEVER cured eggs. He just bonked the first hen of the day and used the fresh eggs. I know we can't ofter do that these dasy. But the point is fresh eggs do work fine.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:27 PM

Lots of ways to skin a cat,but as per always...I like to start at it's ass.

I've less than no interest in "eggs that will fish for hours",though I'm a sucker for Roe that'll catch "right now",even if frequent re-worming is mandated(which it better).

I'm a great fan of immature berries,in fairly tight skeins,as they'll drink mightily of the cure provided,while still offering generous "milktitude" as per number of casts.

Easy to deduce a killer cure IMHO,by the lack of fluids standing in the batch of question. That less straining,draining,freezing or other means.

Fact is,it's the ability of a batch to drink fluids,that holds it in my esteem.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:41 PM

I've Raced fresh vs. Cured a gazillion times.

Have yet to see Fresh hang.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:44 PM

Prep for a few batches.

I personally have little interest in berries any more ripened than this.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:46 PM

'Bout the consistency I like,in regards to swollen(cured) berry sizing and tattle-tail moisture.

Posted by: kevin lund

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:50 PM

Drained or not, an egg is only as good as the time one spends taking care of it. Too many people have the attitude that "it will fish just fine". I wish everyone had that attitude smile. Those eggs that fish best are the ones that are handled with baby kid gloves all the way to the hook.

Test your eggs in an area where fish are picky, if they produce while others fail, then you are doing something right. if your bobber floats while your buddies sinks, yours eggs suck.

Start with good eggs and take good care of them.

You can't make chicken soup out of chicken $hit!

Big stick,

Your tests in Alaska don't count. I've tried every known egg even soaked in gas and they still eat them in Alaska.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 10:58 PM

An open mind,will reveal much,IMHO. This image depicts the relative maturation of skein,that horns me up.

I actually prefer them tighter than this.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 11:30 PM

Hey Parker, liking your method....easy. You triggered a memory of layering them in a tuperware with paper towels between them in the fridge(ala my friend Josh who now lives in Livingston Mt. and probably forgot all about bait also.....plan was to give these to my bait flinging buddies, but may have to find the old baitcaster and give it a go this winter, just for fun....Will cure ALL eggs that come my way from now on. Thanks for all the input...Plan to do a combo of all just for fun...Sincerely Tom

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 11:45 PM

Hey Dave, does it count that I bought the cure @ Yeagers, and they told me it was their top seller(cheapest).......They're still soft, and that's why I posted, as I hated to freeze them without some input. I pulled a chunk out(cut them into chunks) and it stuck on the hook pretty good(one or 2 casts possibly)....Wanted to just vacuum them,and keep in the fridge....Willing to experiment as I'm still going to chuck a "purple egg sucking leech" all winter, and may adorn my fly with a bit of the egg/go whole hog and fling the eggs....who know's....kinda enjoy having them in the fridge right now though...Tom

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 11:50 PM

All eggs ain't the same.

And then some.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 11:50 PM

good advice parker, if you freeze them before boraxing and draining they do last longer. I used to borax my eggs before freezing, but have foud they are good this way for up to a year, but they tend to be a little dried out. If I'm steelhead fishing I usually thaw them in a strainer, then the night before I throw them in a bag of borax, still a soft egg that milks well, but not too gooey and they do hold up for a couple of casts....

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 11:53 PM

You Humpy Lovers have some novel notions.(grin)

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/12/09 11:54 PM

'lund,

GOOD Roe has no fret in regards to the locale it is offered.

Please feel free to show me up.

Laffin'.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:05 AM

Quote:

You bring your good roe for a day of fishing down here and you might just change your thinking.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:08 AM

Born/raised DownSouth...BT/DT and am rather at ease in extrapolating in kind.

Your's is much akin to getting "advice" from someone in Idaho on how to catch Steelhead.

Feel free to [censored] yourself,but do not be under any illusion that I'm subject to a like ruse.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:19 AM

I'm puttin my money on Lund...
I have found steelhead don't seem to care as much, but kings especially can get locked in on a certain egg cure. One day last fall we had three cures with us fished maybe four hours, fish completely ignored two cures, hooked 12-15 on the third cure, on other days sometimes it was a different cure. I agree pressured fish in Washington & Oregon can be way more picky on what kind of eggs they bite. We use to catch kings in AK on some of the crappiest eggs, the fish were simply less pressured and less selective. Unpressure steelhead in Washington/ oregon on the other hand couldn't care less what kind of eggs they bite for the most part.....

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:26 AM

Good Roe takes a second seat,in no locale.

Humored that you boys are curing same in both gas and crap,as a means to quantify your "prowess".

Please.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: kevin lund
Quote:

You bring your good roe for a day of fishing down here and you might just change your thinking.

+1

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:33 AM

Few things as "daunting",as someone who gesticulates a position fraught with inexperience and couples same with a voice of opinion.

Hilarious.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:35 AM

I suggest you boys start boiling your eggs,as per a stance of "novelty",at least.

Laffin'

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:35 AM

Big stick,

Eggs are not eggs and cure is not cure. Though it is more important where to put the bait rather than what is on it. It does seem to help if you have taken every step in preparing the very best egg you can.

I've spent 20 years fishing in Alaska and all over the NW. Most fish fall to the average egg really well. Even those in Alaska can be picky at times. It never hurts to open your mind to cures other than the commercial types.
The maturity of the egg makes a huge differnce in the quality of the finished product. Though an immature egg may present itself better to the user, the fish may like the most mature of eggs you can get.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:41 AM

Quote:
Few things as "daunting",as someone who gesticulates a position fraught with inexperience and couples same with a voice of opinion.

Now I'm laffin!

And I drain every egg before I use it. Does that make them inferior? Help me out, cause I'd like to have a better egg than the ones i've been using. There's always room for improvment.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:43 AM

Toots,

Should you and any/all of your friends surmise a concoction that you THINK I haven't Fished(and well),please be sure and get back to me. Just don't feel maligned,when I yawn and say "Toldjaso".

Let me guess? You cut a cord of firewood once too and have a 30-30?

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:56 AM

I working on a new cure that uses cocaine as a base and once I get the fish started on it, it should be lights out for all of them. One thing I can admit is that I can always learn something new in fishing and life. This thread just proved that!

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:00 AM

Roger that...you'll gain much,by simply taking notes.

Thank me later.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:06 AM

Big Stick,

Would you say Pro Cure is a better producer for you than Fire Cure? I havn't tried the Fire Cure yet, but was thinking about trying it. Wanted to ask someone who has used it and caught fish with it. BTW, I'm taking notes so don't leave anything out!

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:13 AM

FireCure sucks heavy ass.

none of which is secreted.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:17 AM

Big stick , if you are using those commercial cures your eggs are not nearly as good as they could be, those cures work but not like a homemade brine. They all work in AK. BTW i'am also taking notes.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:18 AM

Laffin'.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:21 AM

Guess I will scratch that one off my list of cures to try. Any others that don't make the cut in your book?

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:21 AM

Laffin

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:22 AM

I don't guess.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:26 AM

I think someone here once said............

You can bull$hit the fans, but not the players!

laffin all the way to the finish line.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:28 AM

This is where you get to REALLY shine and post pics of that "Finish Line".

Thus far,you keep landing on your head and I'm getting tired of wiping away your tears.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:32 AM

I don't need to post a picture of anything. I am waiting to learn something from your superior fishing/egg curing endevors that I can use to advance my game on the waters here.

Do you have any advice on a cure for cancer, you seem to know everything else!

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:38 AM

First you were flapping your gums under the guise of "knowing",now you are distraught and in full retreat of same. The first was folly,the latter wellfounded.

None of it secreted.

I've been too busy in my life both Hunting and Fishing,to fret your blue-haired cancer woes...no matter how well founded your carcinogenic concerns.

Is this where you refrain Roe Commentary?!!?

Laffin'

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:39 AM

C'mon...just ONE pic of sumptin'?!!?

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:42 AM

Quote:
Is this where you refrain Roe Commentary

Not at all, I'm waiting for more usful tips.

Laffin

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:47 AM

cmon webster, I've got my notepad and dictionary ready for a informative egg post.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:53 AM

No problemo.

(1): As per ALWAYS,consider the "source". Beware posers who read just enough to be dangerous and who harbor their fruits on short runs of Hatchery Wares. That as a BEST case scenario.(grin)

(2): Anyone who cooks,strains,drains,freezes or otherwise compromises the Natural attraction of quality Roe...had best be asking questions,instead of giving "answers".

(3): Someone who hasn't 100 or so streams on hand that run multitudes of differing Salmonids at like times,is a pizz poor "sample" from which to discern Eggtitude.

(4): Someone who can't readily extract a multitude of skeins from an array of Salmonids within a pletora of systems and extrapolate in kind,their relative "worth" as per grade,quality,sizing,maturity,etc...is pizzing up a lot of ropes.

(5): Someone who can extrapolate #4,less saltwater extractions of same,is leaving MUCH to conjecture.

You know...the usual.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:56 AM

In broad brush strokes...those stingy with pixels,have none to offer.

laffin'

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 02:17 AM

As a fan of R&D for myself,I'm typically pretty good at grabbing pics of the wares bantied. Can't find my grandiose Pautzke Roe pic,but I done it proud several times over.

Though I prefer Oakies/Corkies,Yarn Flies and the like.

Posted by: salmon bake

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 03:02 AM

Big stick, ask lund about the oregon dept. Of F and W investigation and conviction he and his tillamook buddies had on them for two years and how they pinched him for a multitude of game crimes like stripping hens for their eggs and buying extra tags illegally. The law spanked him good, he does however have cures that can't be topped.
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 03:40 AM

So anyway, my version of the quick and dirty on curing bait. First and foremost, I am lazy when it comes to these things and I tend to look for the quick but effective way whenever possible rather than the "ultimate" but painstaking way.

In some places, at some times, what cure you use can matter. I have found this to be the case very rarely.

If it looks like eggs, smells, like eggs, tastes like whatever the hell this shite taste like, you will catch fish.

This time of year I have a virtual bait factory of sorts running a continual cycle. Catch the fish, cure the bait, catch the fish, etc. On and on it goes. 200 skeins this week and counting.

My super secret, ultimate, sure fire recipe and methodology is as follows. I will boil it down to the basics here, but do not be under the impression the the finer points as discussed in detail on an annual basis on this site have not been experimented with at least a time or three.

1. Catch fishes, remove the skeins, give'em a rinse so their are free of blood and gunk, mostly.
2. Put skeins in a gallon ziplock bag, or smaller if you only have a handful of skeins.
3. Lightly coat skeins in cure of choice (more on this later) on either side, and shake the ziplock
4. Put in fridge and shake em up once a day for 2-4 days, depending on how many times you pass the fridge in those days, and how badly you need more bait to keep catching the fishes.
5. Remove from fridge, let dry in open air until desired moisture content is achieved, and then package.
6. Package either as they are, or in borax of varying quantities, bearing in mind that more time in borax will achieve a dryer product.

I tend to like my eggs more on the softer and wet side. Less user friendly with regard to staying on the hook and making a mess of your hands (F the gloves), but fish like them more. I let my skeins dry until the exterior is a bit more dry than tacky, even a bit firm, but the eggs are still very moist.

Egg cures. Fire this, borax that, blahdy, blahdy, blah. How many fish take the time to get a nice long wiff, take a lick or two, and then decide to either bite the eggs or not? Realistically, eggs look like eggs, fish move to them, perhaps pick up a scent trail briefly, and then either bite or don't. As Kevin said, even eggs smelling of gasoline or colored blue, rubber eggs with scent and no scent, etc. as I have caught fish on, will continue to catch fish. Perhaps not as many as the "ideal" for that species, river, etc. etc. Of all of the factors, personally, I rank appearance as the most important, texture as the second, and scent/flavor dead last by a long shot. I would rather fish good looking eggs that smell like shite than a pile of mush or rock hard bait that smells like a salmon's equivalent of apple pie or punani.

Having fished most commercially available cures over all of the egg favoring species between WA and AK, I can really only say one has out produced the others, and that is Keith Archers UEC. Is it a miracle cure. No. Am I intentionally kissing Keith's hairy butt (sorry Keith) in public. Definitely not. It is a bit more of a finicky cure than some others in that the curing process, to achieve my desired product, takes a bit longer and a bit more time and attention that my second favorites (Pautzke's red and natural) but it has scratched fish out consistently in tough conditions when others have failed to get bit.

If possible, I would recommend avoiding freezing your eggs whenever possible. if done right, or very close to it, you can freeze well cured bait and it will come out looking and working wonderfully. If done wrong, which is easy to do, you will have wasted much.

Dave, I learned that fresh (uncured) roe catches fish just fine a number of years ago. I had discarded a fresh skein after cleaning a silver on the Sol Duc. A fellow at the take-out picked up the eggs and on his first cast hooked and landed a gorgeous native steelhead. I tried to kick my own balls but wasn't quite limber enough.

That having been said, last night I fished my clients with cured bait under bobbers next to an excellent fisherman fishing fresh roe, and we outfished them 6-1. Why? I don't know. Fresh eggs work, and well, but the cure gives you a leg up more often than not.

Two cents from a bait believer.

Happy bait slinging folks.

Posted by: Bent Rods

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 12:26 PM

Keith Archers UEC has won the test too many times for me and my clients to rate it a fluke. We are talking fishing for holding Chinook in clear waters with serious boat traffic and pressure.
Fished head to head against every commercial cure mentioned here and with identical egg supply.
The heavy milking action was my best guess as to its advantage as this fishery is some of the toughest conditions I see in the season.

Would really like to try Amermans cure this season in this fishery as testing products keeps the job interesting.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:18 PM

Take it to PM's guys, I don't want to read the drama.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 01:34 PM

Egg gate. grin

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 02:25 PM

First of all kevin lund is a convicted salmon poacher who has multiple counts of fishing violations that include killing hen chinooks, just for their eggs, and also he was killing way way more than his 10 wild salmon a year from tillamook county, he did this by lying to ODFW saying he lost his tag so he could get a replacement tag and kill more fish than he and his buddies(whom were doing the same thing). Look up the police reports. They were watching him for years and he has put a serious dent in wild chinook stocks all so he can be the biggest and best egg fisherman around. Doesn't surprise me he is now hauling all the eggs he can in alaska, even ones that don't belong to him. Gary amerman once told me fund has every flavor in the book as far as egg curing goes. Maybe we would all know as much as kevin fund if we were poaching hen chinook salmon for their eggs, cuttin em open and taking the roe and floating the carcass. What a ********** waste kevin. Runs in oregon suck the last couple years on your favorite tidewaters. Maybe all your poaching has contributed to poor returns. Sucks to see convicted poachers of the highest level can get a guide liscence
Posted by: twinlakesleach

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 02:45 PM

An extensive OSP Fish and Wildlife Division investigation into illegal angling activities has led to four Washington county residents being charged in connection with numerous violations.
Following several months of investigation, OSP Fish and Wildlife Division officers served four search warrants on December 29, 1999, at four residences in the Forest Grove and Aloha areas. The investigation and evidence obtained during the execution of the search warrants revealed three men and one juvenile allegedly had been falsely obtaining duplicate Salmon/Steelhead tags to cover their crime of exceeding the yearly limit of Salmon and/or Steelhead.
Oregon law limits an angler to one tag per year, but a duplicate may be obtained if their original tag is lost, destroyed or stolen. The yearly limit for Salmon and/or Steelhead, in any combination, is 20.
KEVIN LUND, age 28, from Forest Grove, was cited on a total of 16 charges in Washington, Clatsop, Tillamook, Coos, and Curry counties. Charges include EXCEEDING THE YEARLY LIMIT OF SALMON/STEELHEAD; CONTINUING TO ANGLE AFTER RETAINING THE YEARLY LIMIT OF SALMON/STEELHEAD; FALSELY OBTAINING SALMON/STEELHEAD TAG; WASTE OF CHINOOK SALMON; and, FAILURE TO RETAIN SALMON CARCASS WHEN TAKING THE EGGS.
WALTER MARTIN, age 47, from Aloha, was cited on a total of 29 charges in Washington, Lincoln, Coos, and Curry counties. Charges include EXCEEDING THE YEARLY LIMIT OF SALMON/STEELHEAD; CONTINUING TO ANGLE AFTER RETAINING THE YEARLY LIMIT OF SALMON/STEELHEAD; and, FALSELY OBTAINING SALMON/STEELHEAD TAG.
FRED STANLEY, age 65, from Forest Grove, was cited on a total of 5 charges in Washington, Lincoln, and Curry counties. Charges include FALSELY OBTAINING DUPLICATE SALMON/STEELHEAD TAG; ALTERED SALMON/STEELHEAD TAG; WASTE OF CHINOOK SALMON; and, FAILURE TO RETAIN SALMON CARCASS WHEN TAKING THE EGGS..
A juvenile in Washington County was cited on four similar charges.

Or could it be activities like this that are depleting the runs.

Hmmmm...could this be the same idiot also?

See below:

http://www.tdn.com/articles/2005/12/23/area_news/news03.txt

Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 02:55 PM

Someone who does the things mentioned above is a piece of [censored] poacher. Cut and dry.
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 03:10 PM

wow
Posted by: SmellslikeTuna

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 03:12 PM

Man, the skeletons are pouring out of the closet.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 03:18 PM

How about an egg curing recipe Lund, I already have some put up with dog turds and gas anything new to try?
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 03:22 PM

Yes!!! in B4 the lock!

i've seen UEC cured eggs produce everytime they were in the water. i still use my own secret curing process that works very well. just stating the UEC has certainly done very well. killer cure for sure.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 03:33 PM

I think a lot of cures work but I'd agree with Brewer that you could certainly do A LOT worse than buying some UEC and FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BOTTLE.
Posted by: okiedude

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 03:37 PM

When it comes to curing eggs, i think the best take on cures its not what you get with the cure, its what goes into the cure afterwards that counts... diffrent streams have diffrent mineral contents in the water if you utilize these factors you can improve your egg cure on certain waters.

another is realizing how to use your eggs to your advantage diffrent waters (i.e currents) require diffrent textures on your eggs to maximize the time spent on the hook and the milking effect.

Every cure is decent there are some that shine over others... but even those who sell cures commercially i doubt they have all the additives that there own personal eggs have. try diffrent recipes have fun and keep searching...

This may sound like strange but, on of the best places i have used to work on my egg cure is the Samish river reason being there are tons of fisherman who are fishing eggs. after years of fiddling around i have found a cure that will out due 8-10 fisherman with bait. this takes time... be persistent and if you a want any tips feel free to ask

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 04:02 PM

Salmon have lots of moods so make sure to try multiple cures every time you hit the water. I'm trying to figure out if there is a cure that works in straight up saltwater, not the freshwater/ saltwater mix like you see in tidewater estuaries. Any body fish eggs in puget sound with good results? I can think of a few areas around where fish stack that herring trollers can't reach .

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 04:08 PM

Curiously enough,I prefer my Roe donations from fish yet in the Salt,though I've put up more than a ton from the Fresh.

I couldn't correlate a particular system's innate taste,as applied to Cannibalistic Cuisine extrapolated to Salmonids' relative sweet tooth.

Good bait isn't something that's tough to discern.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 04:45 PM

Ha! Wonder if kevin lund could kick down a recipe for saltwater application. I want to try a sweet cure with low sodium content on eggs for saltwater. Wonder if the salmon crave eggs in straight saltwater like they do when they are in rivers or if herring under a bobber would be the ticket in pure saltchuck
Posted by: twinlakesleach

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 05:19 PM

You already posted it once and it's still up.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Naut_A_Byte
Hmmmm...could this be the same idiot also?

No.

Can't believe The Lund Fan Club is crucifying someone over crimes done 10 years ago. Again.

Get over it and yourself.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 06:01 PM

The salmon on the oregon coast rivers never " get over it" when lund removed genes from the rivers PERMANTLEY. All in his quest to be the best lund has contributed in the demise of chinook stocks so he can have more bait than the rest of us. Sucks the state of oregon would let kevin have a guide liscence. Wait till Togiak dies off from egg hunters.
Posted by: supcoop

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 06:13 PM

Buh bye Salmon Bake

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 06:15 PM

Seriously? That's your rebuttal?

Just out of curiosity, how many chinooks do you think *all* the clients that fished with licensed guides on the OR coast killed last year?

Take one good guide. Oh, I dunno. Scott Ammerman. Loves to show off his boat full of 4-5 clients with LIMITS of dead chinooks, day after day after day and year after year.

How many dead chinooks do you think went in to his boat last year alone?

More or less than a one Mr. Lund pre-1999?

No offense to Scott (or any other legit and hardworking good guide) but I'd wager a dollar they have done more "damage" (if there is even any at all) to the Oregon Coastal Chinook Fishery than Lund could ever do. 8-10 chinooks per day all season long (per guide) adds up to some really big numbers.

I bet your poor little head would explode if you had a tribal fishery on those coastal chinooks.

Not saying what someone did back in 1999 was or is OK, but as I said before, get over it. Others are doing WAY worse to those precious fish right now (or soon will be).

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 06:28 PM

Boy oh boy has this one gone down hill since last night...
Stick with Eze-Eggs... I gotta go turn my jars...
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 06:29 PM

WORD!!

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 06:32 PM

Lund and scott amerman are best friends. Now how many chinooks do they both kill off the spawning gravel jet boating just above tidewater on the siletz, which happens to be a river that has seen horrible returns last two years. Nice try on your spin but lund is still a convicted poacher who has a guide liscence, that's like letting a sex offender teach gradeschool
Posted by: Sol

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 06:38 PM

Your shoe laces are too tight, dude.
Posted by: hohbomb73

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 06:42 PM

Scott runs a prop smile
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: RognSue
Boy oh boy has this one gone down hill since last night...
Stick with Eze-Eggs... I gotta go turn my jars...

I deleted about 8 posts at lunch today so there was lots more drama.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 07:13 PM

Yeah JG, you sure showed "us"...

rofl

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 07:15 PM

Scott runs a prop and i did too until two years ago. I havn't fished Siletz but three days in the last three years. Two of those were for steelhead. I don't fault anyone for hating what I did 10 years ago. it was out of line. Never said it wasn't. I did the crime and I paid the price. It cost me $20,000 in fee and lawyers. What I did learn from all of it was it is is cheaper to play by the rules and it really proves nothing to brak the law. What nobody here knows, is to what extent it was done. So to open your mouth like some expert witness to a crime scene is about as stupid as saying you know me because I got busted. I've given back to the system way more than I ever took in the form of donated trips to fun raisers that help fishing. It really isn't my main concern to make people like Salmon baker or whatever your name is, have any love loss period. Thanks for yor following though. What I also learned is once the cops get a hard on for you, they lie cheat and make up anything that sounds good to get a warrant to get into your home. Like it or not, they are far more crooked than I was. Believe what you want, it maters not now as it is past. I hope you and the cops dwell on it forever.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 07:18 PM

Protect our remaining salmon is the word of the day here. Delicate fisheries out there boys and girls. My egg cure recipe; borax and procure red hot double stuff with tropicanna suntan lotion. Thirty pound hatchery king out of edmonds couple days ago calling for flaming on my BBQ. Enjoy yourself on the water and buy Lund a ski mask to go with his indiana jones hat!

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 07:23 PM

Now that you put up the charges, woudl you care to put up the convictions. Thank you. I'll hep you out, It was 2.

1 purcahsing a duplicate tag

2 failure to release a male chinook unharmed.

None, I repeat, none of the other stuff stuck anywhere, anyhow. Why? Because there was no evidense, period! Most of it was fabricated BS from cops who thought they knew what was going on. Like it or not, thats how it works. I did things that were not right, adn kept more fish than I was supposed to. Thanks for pointing it out. Hello, Most of you have done it too. if you are claiming to be pure you are a FUKING liar.

Hidden by a name like baked salmon. At least Ive got balls enough to post my name instead of cowardly hiding beind a computer screen fake and bake. Bring your name out if you are man enough. I doubt it!

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 07:24 PM

I don't think Fishgal likes that kinda language... wink
Posted by: SmellslikeTuna

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: kevin lund
Now that you put up the charges, woudl you care to put up the convictions. Thank you. I'll hep you out, It was 2.
1 purcahsing a duplicate tag
2 failure to release a male chinook unharmed.
None, I repeat, none of the other stuff stuck anywhere, anyhow. Why? Because there was no evidense, period! Most of it was fabricated BS from cops who thought they knew what was going on. Like it or not, thats how it works. I did things that were not right, adn kept more fish than I was supposed to. Thanks for pointing it out. Hello, Most of you have done it too. if you are claiming to be pure you are a FUKING liar.
Hidden by a name like baked salmon. At least Ive got balls enough to post my name instead of cowardly hiding beind a computer screen fake and bake. Bring your name out if you are man enough. I doubt it!

Hey man, I think your a standup guy for coming back on here and explaining yourself, and what happened. I personally have never kept more salmon than alloted, but I was no saint back in my younger years by any means. And I'm definitly glad no one is holding the crap I did back in my "partying days" over my head still. Salmon baker dude needs to move on and let it go.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 07:47 PM

Didn't mean to throw a stick in your spokes kevin Lund I bet you use real name cause you are trying to make a name for yourself, stick a feather in your hat and be the king of tidewater robber and egg chinook fisheries. Soooooooo....... How about an egg cure man? I gave one of mine, what you got for us all?

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 07:49 PM

Quote:
Salmon baker dude needs to move on and let it go.

He needs to tell everyone who the real hidden turd is. He doesnt' have enough balls to do it tough! It takes a real man to admit his faults, and a coward to hide behind the screen. He'll be gone before you know it and some new idiot who knows nothing more than runmors will take his place.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 08:00 PM

Quote:
Didn't mean to throw a stick in your spokes kevin Lund I bet you use real name cause you are trying to make a name for yourself, stick a feather in your hat and be the king of tidewater robber and egg chinook fisheries. Soooooooo....... How about an egg cure man? I gave one of mine, what you got for us all?

You are welcome to get in the boat anytime you like. It would be a humble ass kicking that you wouldn't forget. Tell ya what, I'll give ya an egg cure if you come out with your name. Neither of which will be the truth!

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 08:08 PM

Egg cures lund. Toss one out there. You will know who I am when you see my boats bobbers drop like flies in tidewater. Peace out. What's chicken poop is dishin out smack on dudes that used to work for you then not being able to take some shizzle back when u have stolen native salmon from us all
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: salmon bake
Didn't mean to throw a stick in your spokes

that's kind of funny.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 08:48 PM

Humble is not a word in your vocabulary. Peace, I got other tail to chase. It tastes a whole lot better than the bullshizzle your serving up. Have to try this ultimate egg cure, sounds like it has a following round these parts
Posted by: okiedude

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 08:56 PM

who cares about kevin lund.... i thought this was about egg curing tips... another thread started off good that turned to out to be nothing but. BUFOSO is all i have to say...
Posted by: FASTWATER

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 09:33 PM

In 30 years of fishing the Northwest the best fisherman I ever seen in action was Paul Beupea not sure if I spell his last name right or not but his cure was the pro glow recipe that is still my only cure used and if their are fish around I catch I may not slay but I catch and haven't used anything since I started curing eggs. I used alot of pro cure for years but after fishing them side by side I ended up staying with the pro glow the best part I like about it is it is impossible to screw your eggs up by using to much!!!PEACE
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 10:27 PM

Way to put a lid on it Stam. Geez, and here I was beginning to think that if only I used the right rod, the right reel, the right line, the right hooks, and the right eggs cured the right way, then I could catch the very same steelhead I already catch on a feather and some yarn tied on a hook. All this bashing makes me happy to be a feather flinger.

Sg

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 10:35 PM

where do you get ultimate egg cure, it seems like I have seen it before, all this talk I would like to try it, the website is down or something.
Posted by: NWaddict

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 11:03 PM

I think it's too bad people find it necessary to follow Kevin where ever he is to make sure everyone knows what he did wrong in the past. I dont condone anything he did or may have done, but I will say this: while I dont know him very well, I've never known him to hide from his past. Of all the people that bash him, I dont know if a single one has done it under their real name. Kevin hasn't tried to hide who he is from anyone.

The other thing is that it's obvious that the people that bash him could really careless what he's done with his life since--good or bad. Whenever I see him on the river or whenever I or one of my buddies talk to him he's always very forthright and helpful. I dont doubt that maybe he wasn't always that way, but people change. Get over it.

Dom
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 11:10 PM

UEC is sold by stlhdr1 on this site. keith archer is his name.

i would be willing to bet big cash that 99.9% of everbody here has done some shady fishing in thier past. especially in thier younger stupid years. Brewer for one has many ink blotches in his fishing past. back when i used to fish smolts for example. filled many a catch card in those daze.
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/13/09 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Hankster
I fished quite a bit on the Umpqua and the only thing I ever used eggs for was to squeeze some juice out of them to put on the yarn balls.

thumbs Ah, the Umpqua...

(IBTL!)
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/14/09 12:18 AM

Hum...no, but I'll ask around the inner circle, someone likely does. Is(was?) he friend or foe?

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/14/09 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: salmon bake
Protect our remaining salmon is the word of the day here. Thirty pound hatchery king out of edmonds couple days ago calling for flaming on my BBQ.

BBQ'n Nates or fishin off the dock?
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/14/09 01:12 AM

This thread was making a strong run at a nomination for

Best
Thread
Ever

but seems to have lost some of its steam.

Anybody else get busted for poaching that we should know about? Anyone want to admit that they're a poacher, but never got caught? Any closet snaggers out there that way to come clean?

Don't let the dream die. smile
Posted by: Bob

Re: Curing Eggs - 08/14/09 01:23 AM

Wow ... beat this up to a messy pulp. Bad time of year to push the envelope on here ... in the middle of doubles and too little sleep to deal with much BS. Warnings issued here and now ... if you disappear, oh well smile