Nooksack River Jet Sled

Posted by: Superfishial

Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 09:36 AM

If anyone has/does run this river in a sled, I'm looking for your opinion. Is a flatbottom 100% necessary when it's low or can you get away with say a modified V or deeper?
Thanks, great forum
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 11:34 AM

Just depends on how well you run a boat... Semi-V or less would be my suggestion.....

Keith
Posted by: fishhog

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 12:31 PM

I fish it regularly as it's only a few minutes from home. When the water levels are normal, it can get REAL skinny in spots due to gravel bars and such. Most boats on the river are flatbottomed and for good reason.
My sled is flat bottomed and this past steelhead season I drug bottom in a few shallow spots if that tells you anything.

In the lower part of the river you can get away with a deeper hull.

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 12:32 PM

One other thing, The river changes every year, so a slot you could run one year, you can't the next. Pay attention and you'll do fine.
Posted by: Somethingsmellsf

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 01:19 PM

Fishhog, Hi, used to live up in the neck of the woods and loved that river. I now have a flat bottom sled and would like to fish that river. What launches do you use? Do you fish the upper end of the N. fork? I stopped fishing it because the steelies just did not seem to be there in years past, has it gotten any better?

Thanks for any info your willing to give.

Fishy
Posted by: team cracker

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 04:54 PM

Semi V with a tunnel would be best, runs skinnier than regular flatbottomed (because of the tunnel), corners waaay better too. Flatbottomed runs skiiny, but the more v you have the better you will corner, usually a slight v is best
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 05:17 PM

Quantifying a "semi" V vs. a deep V could be helpful. Seems to me most sled style hulls come in something like 5, 10 or 12 degree V's these days? 5 degree runs shallower but doesn't track as well, 10 not as shallow but better steering, etc.

Does anyone have experience with the tunnel design on a 5 degree? Curious to know how it handles, tracks, cavitation factor etc?

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 06:07 PM

My sled is pretty much flat bottomed and doesn't track for crap. If you like sidedrifting, you will HATE a flat bottom. I will NEVER own another.
Posted by: fishbreath

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 06:27 PM

Hey ColeyG, hows life in fish country?

My Alumaweld is a 6 degree bottom and since you've been in it at least you have some idea of how a 6 handles, pretty close to a 5 degree. I've never had any problem with it slidding, seems to stick pretty well in the corners. On another note about the Nooksack. It really won't matter much about fishing the Nooksack as the writting is on the wall that it will close on February 15th in 2011. That means very little native fishing before it closes. I never start catching many fish till the last two weeks in February. Kiss another fishery good bye. Good thing you moved to Alaska.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: fishbreath
It really won't matter much about fishing the Nooksack as the writting is on the wall that it will close on February 15th in 2011. Kiss another fishery good bye.

mad

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 09:30 PM

Hey Rob. Good to hear from you man. I am actually back in WA right now for a short stint. Life up north is good. A great summer with lots of time outside, slow king season, another great silver season, etc. Some outstanding personal trips to boot.

Sorry to hear about the 'sack. That last week of Feb is about the best thing that Bellingham had going for it with regard to fishing. Is that for good, or just for this season?

The boats I run in the summer are 12 degree hulls. Bigger water with a little more need to punch through chop and less concern about the shallows, at least during salmon season. I am picking up a Willies with a 5 degree tunnel hull in the next few days. Test driving one wasn't really an option, but I figured it would work out OK. I was curious if anyone had experience a similar design. I remember your boat handling very well. Coulda used a few more fish in it though smile

Let me know when you are ready to head up north for a week and I'll keep a seat open for ya.

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Quantifying a "semi" V vs. a deep V could be helpful. Seems to me most sled style hulls come in something like 5, 10 or 12 degree V's these days? 5 degree runs shallower but doesn't track as well, 10 not as shallow but better steering, etc.

Does anyone have experience with the tunnel design on a 5 degree? Curious to know how it handles, tracks, cavitation factor etc?

My Koffler is a 4 degree with a tunnel hull in the back. Never cavitates, runs shallower than you'd think possible and tracks like a champ both on plain and free drifting.....

Keith

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 10:19 PM

ColeyG,

I'm ready now so save that seat! Pinks seem to be the only fish I can catch lately.

Concerning the season change. I've been a pain to Fish and Wildlife staff trying to get them to give me the information that ACTUALLY shows it should be closed early. Numerous calls and still no actual information. Mill Creek public meeting tomorrow night for input, just wish they could have given me some information so I could give my two cents! They, (Fish and Wildlife), have proposed closing eight Puget Sound rivers early for protecting wild steelhead. My beef is there just isn't much info on the Nooksack, the other rivers for the most part are listed as "Depressed runs", the Nooksack on the other hand is listed as "Unknown". I contacted the tribe and talked with their bio, nice guy. He said that yes the run had dropped in number on the tribs they counted. Although, because of the visibility they could not do accurate counts on the main river and forks. I continue to do pretty well those last few weeks so I question the reason for the closing. As you said, those are the best thing Bellingham has going for it. So bottom line, they are going to take it away and until enough information can be obtained it will be closed. I would guess for MANY years to come. frown

Wria Won, sorry about hijacking your topic. Email me directly and I'll give you the scoop the best I can on sections to run and which ones are tough.

Fishbreath

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 10:20 PM

Oooo. Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks Keith.

What's pushing it? Your koffler that is...

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 11:04 PM

Salmosalar,

Brett is the guy that wouldn't call me back. I've called and left three messages for him weeks ago. I was later told by the tribe bio that Brett is incredibly busy so I guess I can understand. The tribe bio is really a nice guy but his main focus is on the Spring Chinook Run but obviously he is interested in the Steelhead.

Enjoy this spring season as those two weeks are going to be taken away most likely. I still question the closing as the major run doesn't come in till March and even April. Makes you wonder what the fishing is like when it's closed if we do fairly well those last two weeks in February.

Love to know about your $300 dollar option??

Fishbreath
Posted by: Coho

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 11:15 PM

Nook needs to stay open anonther month C&R

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 11:24 PM

I called Brett Barkdull directly and finally talked to his boss, she confirmed, he is very busy. She told me she would get the information if I sent in the request, which I did that evening, still nothing.

The other rivers are, Pilchuck, Pilchuck Creek, Raging, Skykomish, Snohomish, Snoqualmie and Stillaguamish. On the other hand it sounds like they want the Skagit to stay open for the near future. Too bad I can't be consistent on the Skagit like the Nooksack those last two weeks.

To view the new potential regs, here is the link.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/rule_proposals/index.htm

Fishbreath

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Oooo. Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks Keith.

What's pushing it? Your koffler that is...

200hp Merc....... 20'x6', it's a spacious bugger.....

Keith

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 11:40 PM

Aha. We have a 200 on the 22' NR scout and it goes pretty good. Yammie though.

I went with a Suz 140 for the Predator. 20'x72"x30". It was substantially lighter than the more HP models. Bigger pump on those units comparably as well. Hope it is enough.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/05/09 11:42 PM

Bummed and disgusted.

Dump money into a fvcking worthless hatchery program that sucks the balls of a ball sucker and then widen the poaching season. I'd like to show them how many fish are "not there".

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/06/09 12:02 AM

You cant say ball sucker on a family site.

Nooksack management = a not very funny joke
Posted by: bushbear

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/06/09 12:26 AM

FB

PM sent
Posted by: cupo

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/06/09 12:53 AM

Just think of the circus that would develop if it stays open and everything else shuts down early. Be careful what you wish for.
Posted by: Superfishial

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/06/09 01:12 AM

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm glad I found a pot that I didn't know was on the burner...
Posted by: kevin lund

Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled - 10/06/09 04:21 PM

I run a 5 degree tunnel on a 20' predator with a 150 and it runs great in all shallow water applications. Where it does not run great is in big water. I spent a little time in 3-5' rollers in heavy whitewater and it tends to cavitate and lose power. I had to really feather it in the big water to keep it moving. If you were looking for a boat to run nothing but flat shallow waters, the tunnel is awesome. They go through 3" of water all day long. Less than that and you will find bottom. The nice thing about finding bottom in a tunnel is if the bottom is gravel or sand you blow right over it. If it's big boulders you are in trouble. Don't back off the throttle or you will be there a while.