2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!!

Posted by: Fishin' Luhrs

2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/15/09 06:37 PM

We got to test fish 2 new spoons coming out and OMG!!!
We caught fish all day and fished the 2 exclusively until losing one to a downrigger wrap.
Hopefully they will get them out soon.
They are Cookies-n Cream and Irish Cream. One Black and White and the other Green and White.
We had 3 people onboard and never got the 3rd rod out.
Posted by: bushbear

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/15/09 06:53 PM

Are these in the Sonic Edge or Coho Killer style?
Posted by: Capt Downriggin'

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/15/09 07:43 PM

You must have been on the "Fishing Lures" boat I heard on the radio.

Despite the chop off the west side of the bar, it definitely was a good "catching day."

We were on the water from sunrise to sunset and landed/released close to 20-fish. Although we didn't catch anything (at least from what we heard) weighable for the derby, we were in to nice blackies solidly. Most of our fish came from the east side of the bar verses the west side.

I don't think there was a color or combination that didn't catch a fish. The UV Acid Bath, UV Kitchen Sink, and UV Jail Bait spoons fished behind a plug were our hot tickets.

I might have heard wrong, but the fish checker announced 77-fish for 44 boats!
Posted by: Fishinnut

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/15/09 09:57 PM

Bushbear, I think they are coyote spoon sized. I believe they call them kingfisherl lights?

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/15/09 11:27 PM

Yep Capt. Downrigger that was us on the Fishin' Luhrs. You would have seen us on the east side of the bar. White 32 ft with the tower
They are not coho killer size, They are the Kingfisher lite I think

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 02:37 AM

Thanks for description. I'll be watching for them. Are they UV?
Posted by: SPUD

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 11:37 AM

I have been testing them for a couple of months and got some out to our members for the Derby. Don't worry Sky Guy....I have some stashed for you too !

They use a new UV coating on one side and EX glow on the other. The UV side uses either black/silver/white lightning (Kookies N Kream) and the (Irish Kreme) uses a green/silver/whitelightning pattern.

The spoon is a flutter spoon known as the KingFisher Lite. 38 inches of leader (30 pound) seemed to work best for us.

Silver Horde expects to have them on the market in the next few weeks I believe.

Spud
FISHTALE 2
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 11:46 AM

rofl

The next hot lure that we all gotta have and I didn't know I needed until NOW! I'll never catch another fish until I get my hands on these new spoons! Gotta love the tackle industry!

PS. I wonder if last years spoons are now sitting in their tackle boxes crying, knowing that they are no longer the #1 "go to" spoon? Poor spoons.

rofl
Posted by: gilly

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 12:05 PM

I agree Parker, many spoons are crying. Sounds like a good color combo. I have been using spoons from Moonshine lures. They produce some truly awesome glow combinations in Coyote like spoons. Then again I have an old 4.5 coyote with only a spec of paint remaining, that continues to produce many fish.

Matt
Posted by: summerrun

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 12:08 PM

Cut Plug will never go outta style...

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 12:09 PM

On a more serious note - I kinda thing it's not the color pattern that important, but rather the use (or not use) of UV.

Just like most basics, knowing when's and why's of using UV's versus Glows would make more of a difference - at least I'd like to tell myself that. It seemed to this last year.

The water clarity throughout this summer and fall was exceptional which really favored anything UV. Glow might have worked early in the am, but once the sun came up, UV was the ticket.

Put a lot more "chunk" and "murk" in the water and I'd wager UV doesn't work so well.....

I'm still gonna go out and buy the new loores! thumbs I'm a sucker for those kinda things! Besides, I like Silver Horder and their stuff!

thumbs
Posted by: gilly

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 12:15 PM

Check out the colors:) good spoons to round out the box.

www.moonshinelures.com

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: gilly
Check out the colors:) good spoons to round out the box.

I'm not on the Silver Horder "cool kids" list so my only chance of seeing them before they are gone and off of the store shelves is if and when TJ can steal a few from SPUD! wink

I'm sure I'll HEAR all about them from Ryley, though. For months and months and months......

Posted by: FishNg1

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 02:29 PM

Gotta agree summerun, a dyed green whole herring works great too, but when they aren't available I guess we have to turn to metal.

Hey, hows it going Spud?

Steve

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 02:40 PM

Parker,

TJ did steal some from me over the weekend !!!!!

Nice thing about Silver Horde is that the give back tens of thousands of dollars back to the fishing community every year.

Steve.......we've been really good....what a great fishin' year. We'll have to catch up with you sometime soon. You might need a platter of raspberry chipotle ribs !

Spud
Fishtale 2
Posted by: OPfisher

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: parker
rofl

I'll never catch another fish until I get my hands on these new spoons!

rofl

even those cant help you!

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: OPfisher
even those cant help you!

Probably not.
Posted by: FishNg1

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 05:28 PM

Oh Yeah Spud, you do cook up a great meal as I remember! I will be looking forward to that in the future. Give me a PM if you need any special "Johnny's" ingredients....all to a good cause.

Steve
Posted by: tjcarroll

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 06:01 PM

I know at least one thing for sure and that is Silver Horde hardware works in Puget Sound on a consistent basis.

There are a couple of guys here that would not believe you could catch salmon on a piece of metal shaped and colored as such. I think summerrun and parker even hooked up a couple times this last season. Sure, bait has it's place at times but when you are covering ground and hunting for salmon on a limited tide exchange I'll take hardware anytime in the Sound.

Tom

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 06:05 PM

Not i.

The only thing I could hook on metal were flounders, cod, small resident yoyo's and a couple of under-aged nookies.

Posted by: Captain Q

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 06:21 PM

Parker, I think ol Moonshine has a spoon just for you. It's called the "Flounder Pounder".

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 06:25 PM

Damn.

The name alone is giving me the creeps!
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/16/09 09:57 PM

Good on ya Gilly for the Moonshine plug from parts east. I have a bunch of those but haven't fished em much out here in the Sound. Have to dust em off. Thanks for the idea,

fb

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 02:08 AM

KK and Parker, CoFounders of Team Flounder Pounder
Posted by: Achewter

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 03:37 AM

Quote:
KK and Parker, CoFounders of Team Flounder Pounder

Too Fn funny. I cant wait until the shirts come out.
I'll take one of those nice hoodies in 4X please !!!

THE HORDE RULES

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 11:28 AM

Team Flounder Pounder.

Bugger.

That one is gonna stick around for a while.

The shirts/hoodies will come out ONLY if I can get sponsorship from Silver Horde......

Anyone care to draw up a Sol-quality logo for Team Flounder Pounder?

laugh

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 11:42 AM

Ill take an XL...back on topic a bit although I love herring I have fished the Silver Horde gear for many years and I dont know that you can beat the violent hit of a big king on a plug. Plus the fight is spectacular with no flasher dragging away
Posted by: IrishRogue

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 01:58 PM

Summerrun,

I still don't have confidence fishing tomics/plugs in PS... I'm not at all convinced I know how to rig them for good action... Gilly pointed me at the tomic website a while back which has lots of ideas, but I still don't know what the actuion is supposed to look like when things are tuned up right...

So flashers & Spoons/hoochies for me until I get that figured out -- if anyone knows of any good videos showing the plugs, properly tuned, swimming nicely, I'd be super grateful...

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 02:36 PM

If you are gonna run a plug IR, you gotta start from scratch and do it right the first time.

IE, widdle down a balsa plug and make your own j-plug from hand. Next, you gotta use a row boat (no motors) and row around outside of Shilshole or Edmonds and hook and land a 20+ pounder (or is that FLOUNDER?) all by yourself. No help is allowed.

Once you do that, you will be a member of Team Flounder Pounder! Hell, pull that one off and I'll make you the freaking Vice President of the Club! laugh

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 02:54 PM

How about a plug flasher ? evil

Since I feel like giving a few secrets away today....

Remove the tow bar from a Tomic. Slide the mainline through the top hole, a 5mm bead, and attach to a barrell swivel. Next tie on 30# FC leader and attach spoon 24 to 30 inches back.

The plug moves all over the place and puts some powerful vibrations out.. The spoon follows in tow.. Deadly!! evil

The question that probably popped up... Do the fish hit the plug? Never! They always hit the trailing spoon or hoochie. I have tried attaching a leader off the bend of the hook on the plug and have never- not once - ever caught a fish on the plug in this fashion so I have discarded the notion of having a second hook.

For winter fishing I use a 5-inch tubby and summer a 6-inch tubby.
The reaction (movement) off a tubby is far more erratic than the classic due to more lip/surface area..

This combination works with anything in tow... without flasher drag!

Nailed a lot of fish off Possession this last weekend with this combo!

Have fun with this one!

Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 03:08 PM

In river fishermen.....know that spoons like these would "NEVER WORK" for us..........lmao

BUT.....if someone would send me 4 or 5.......I'd give them a try.......hehehehe
Posted by: LoweDown

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 03:21 PM

Thanks for the link Matt, some of those combos look deadly...
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 03:50 PM

I like the Ace Hi Canadian series, glow, rattlers. Just below the forage or scatching the bottom this time of year.

The fish are where you find them. zip

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 04:00 PM

CD

Nice idea. I'm going to try it whe I can get back out on the water.

I'm wondering though about possible wear on the main line or is the Tomic "hole" smooth enough to not fray the line? If line fray might be a problem could your set up use a section, say 12" or so, of heavier mono/cable with a swivel to snap your main line to? Would doing that kill some of the plug action?

Thanks

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 07:05 PM

BB,

I have been running 18# and 20# Maxima UG as a mainline with no issues of fraying. The one tip I'll pass along is filing the edges of the tow bar after it has been cut and before you you pull it through. This will alleviate the rough edges.

You could also leave the tow bar intact and tie the leader directly of the barrel swivel under the plug. The only issue is getting the plug to run true. A good solid knot on top of the tow bar is the key here..

I have also ran the J-plug styles of plug with this setup. Just add a barrel to the split ring under the plug and tie the leader off directly.

You're heavier mono should be ok- never tried it, and I don't see the action being killed too much (similiar weight to the old wire loops we ran). It's worth a shot I have only tied directly to the barrel swivel (as shown). If I want to change setups, I just changed rods.. It also gives me opportunity to keep checking the knots.

Let me know how your setup works...

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 07:27 PM

Cut Plugs are sooooooooooo last week. Just kidding. I was hoping the guy at the Everett Ramp would have them, but I guess he hasn't been there for a while. I guess next time I will have to drive to Edmonds to get my fresh bait. Does anyone out there jig for herring? Ours had green label sized herring in it. Fresh herring is hard to beat.

I did run a 5" Tomic I have that is full of teeth marks. It hit two fish right off of the bat. Biggest fish was on this plug, but had an extra rudder.

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 07:30 PM

I have really good luck with a double clinch knot tied tight to the tow bar of the plug and I push it back on the top of the towbar towards the plug. It will hold pretty true for trolling straight.

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 07:48 PM

Ron,

Back to topic......how did the new Irish Creme work for you on Saturday ?

Re: 2 new spoons from Silver Horde. OMG!!! - 11/17/09 11:29 PM

Hey Spud it work great for me smile Kevin