need you OP fellas advice.

Posted by: old timer

need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 02:12 AM

The obama stimulation program has unstimulated my automotive related job. now at 65yo. find myself looking up and down the road saying"what now". anyway-- I have a pull behind trailer and have wanted to do the OP for a few mos.for many years now. Banking it as the budget just emits a dull Hee Hee when I think of guides.But that is not where I need the advice. (Even though a couple ideas would not be so bad).As I am kind of a newby. Well, I was looking at this site a few Mos. ago and someone was talking about crime on fishermen and campers. the Question is. Is that a real problem or was he just trying to discourage us outsiders from spending time on your rivers. I assure I and my abilities to catch fish represent no threat to the fish population so any advice will be appreciated.
even though Insured a confrontation could be super tough on me.
Please dont flame me on this one. I just need a little help.

I have lookeed at this site everyday for a long time now and have used so many of your Ideas and hope to hear more. thanks.
Posted by: cowlitzkiller

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 02:26 AM

Like Abu, I have had good luck.. take a chance!!!!!!
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 02:35 AM

15 years or so ago when they closed the spring fishery on the Sky I went to the OP for the first time. I was told the locals where going to beat up anybody from the Puget Sound area as they didn't want the extra pressure. The first fishermen I met where flyfishing a hole at the end of a mile trail or so. They saw I had a spoon tied on so they let me work the hole first. My first cast ever into the Hoh river produced a spunky 12# hen. They helped me land it and even gave me a beer and a brat.

Pretty much everyone I've met over there over the years has been just as cool!

With tweakers out there there is always the chance of being broken into but the chance is ten times greater around PS then in OP.

Go for it, have fun and good luck!
Posted by: summerrun

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 02:39 AM

I agree with the Brood and Abu, dont stress on it and its highly unlikely you will have any issues but look out for Vamps and Vans with Free Candy.
Posted by: Bantam

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 02:41 AM

i agree with abu, it all depends on where you go... you stand a chance with finding problems in the crowded scenes. i had my problem with crime earlier this year, but we were fishing in no mans land, scum of the earth...
i think you should be fine and have the good times... enjoy your pre-retirement. take some pics, good luck!
Posted by: shinything

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 09:18 AM

I would say you are safer out there on west end than we are comenting here in the land of crooks.I lived on the penn in tents,out of the back of my car.in a motor home for over two years straight.never locked a door nor did I meet somebody that did.
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 09:41 AM

I think you have more of a chance being broke into around the urban area rivers near Seattle and Everett than out on the OP.

Enjoy your couple months out there.
Posted by: reelemin

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 10:10 AM

Lol, Look at were all the guys who reply'd are from. Most in Forks now days are transplants. Tame and as nice as pussy cats. No worries. Its all Lore and your way more likey to get broken into around Montesano or Aberdeen. Or the 3 Seattle "S", rivers.

The west end is as nice as it gets. Go there and have fun!
Posted by: old timer

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 11:43 AM

Thanks Folks That is what I was hoping to hear. Ill start my venture on dec 1st, Ill be in the burnt orange ford.
Posted by: docspud

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 11:46 AM

Dont leave a cooler full of beer outside your tent and you will be fine. The little cooler raiding highschoolers likely couldn't help themselves. That has happened to us but never had anything "broken" into in many years of fishing there. Almost saw some fights but never because of someone being an outsider. Mostly to much beer or guys just being a-holes on the river.

Now the bar is another thing all together. Never seem to be able to get out of there without someone getting out of line. I guess it could be our crew as well......Nope, couldn't be us.
Posted by: rowmanholiday

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 12:20 PM

I have never had any problems with ANYBODY up on the West End. The locals I have met are as nice as they can be. It doesn't hurt that my wife was born and raised there, either.

The only time I have heard of someone geting "ripped" off, was about seven years ago, at Klahanie Camp Ground. Some folks from the East Coast were over hunting and had almost all their gear stolen. That was pretty cruddy to see! But, that is the only time.

I have also fished with guides up there and have found them very helpful, even if I am not booking a trip with them at that particular time. Also, don't forget to stop in and talk to Bob Gooding at Olympic Sporting Goods. He will give you an honest report.

Good luck! You should have a blast!
Posted by: bushbear

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 03:51 PM

Don't forget to bring your rain gear.....and something to read/do when the rivers are punched. Lots of interesting things to see and do around the NOP. Have fun.
Posted by: Chubbytyee

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 04:51 PM

That's unfortunate for you and your industry, but your not alone. This economy has been hard on alot people. Sounds like you have the opportunity to do a little fishing and exploring around. Great area for that over there. You might want to check out Three Rivers, they have camp sites, cabins, washrooms, store, and a resturant. They are located down the Lapush road and well located close to several rivers. You could probly swing a fair deal knowing you'll be there awhile. They'll get you going in the right direction as far as which river to fish and few locations. Hope this helps.
Posted by: bushbear

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 05:12 PM

+1 on Three Rivers as a base of operations. Pretty good hamburgers, there, too.
Posted by: Chuck E

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 05:55 PM

If river fishing is slow, you can hit Rialto Beach for some surf perch. Rialto also has a lot of good skipping rocks if you want to practice your sidearm throw.
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 07:07 PM

I agree with the Forks area being better than the southern slopes. I have friends with a lot on the Hoh below the Park. Never had a problem there. The community looks out for each other.

The war on drugs has really shifted things to more man made than organic products imported into the harbor.
The more refined the product, the more dependency along the travel coridor to the greater metropolitan areas.
Posted by: Idaho Mike

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 07:25 PM

When I worked for the National Park Service at Kalaloch in the 70s we had a lot of problems with theft of food, camp stoves etc., mostly perpatrated by the shake rats living out in the woods. Some of the tribal members liked to steal beer out of campsites too as well as the Kaloloch store.

Since then that whole area has changed a lot. It is definitely not the same Forks/peninsula from the 70s. I have not spent a lot of time there as of late, but I would say the advice you are getting from the regulars is right on. I will second the recommendation for Three Rivers. It's a great place to stay.

Sorry you got laid off. Have a good time and catch lots of fish and let us know how things go for you over there.
Posted by: bustintires

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 11:01 PM

spent many a night sleepin in the back of my truck in an unlocked canopy in and around the forks area. never an issue. i do pack a 40(kinda like a teddy bear type a thing) just in case but would never dream of having to use it.
Posted by: Somethingsmellsf

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/17/09 11:44 PM

Here we go!

Fishy
Posted by: The Catcherman

Re: need you OP fellas advice. - 11/18/09 12:43 AM

Just leave your sled at home and you should be fine on the OP. Locals don't like sleds.