Gettin' strung out on jigs...

Posted by: Twitch

Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 09:46 AM

Got a few questions regarding the jigs shown with fish in my other thread, so I figured I'd put another one together.

As most people know, adding a pink worm, or some other dangling treat off a jig can add more action, create more contrast, and draw bites. One problem faced at least here in Oregon, is that rubber pink worms are considered 'bait' in the regulations, and can't be used on streams restricted to artificial only (i.e., most of the Deschutes) Another problem, is when only the tip of the tail/worm/etc. gets bit...not the hook portion of the jig.

Looking at these a while back in my tying room got me thinking...

Various string leeches and chenille worms...

Why not do the same on a jig hook?

A few variations I made up...

Results!

Batts died on the camera, or I would have put up a few construction pictures. I'll add/edit them in this afternoon...

BTW, my #1 producer has been the white headed shrimp pink tail jig; middle left.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 10:20 AM

Money!
Posted by: Lucky Louie

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 11:25 AM

They look like winners.
Posted by: StinkingWaters

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 11:34 AM

Great lookin jigs!
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 12:40 PM

Solid work. I made some chenille string leeches for drift fishing. They had a corkie head and palmered thick hackle throughout their length. I used mono instead of dacron, and they did not give me the action I wanted. I will go back and try it your way sometime.

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocket Red
Solid work. I made some chenille string leeches for drift fishing. They had a corkie head and palmered thick hackle throughout their length. I used mono instead of dacron, and they did not give me the action I wanted. I will go back and try it your way sometime.

RR, how much tension you have on the 'string' between your vices, and how close together, and how tight you wrap your chenille will all factor in to how limp or stiff the final product turns out. Try putting a little slack in the string, and wrap very lightly with the chenille. (and soft 20# backing works best for material imho, as mono, and super braids like power pro are too stiff...)
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 01:39 PM

Twitch,
Good looking jigs and bunnies. Thanks for posting them up.
Are you using Tear Mender when you wrap your bunnies?
Posted by: Queets guy

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 01:47 PM

Twitch, where do you find your silver head beads? I like those much more so than the regular molded lead jig heads, but Ive had trouble lately being able to get my hands on some.
Posted by: steelhead_stalkers

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 02:27 PM

Very impressive! Look like killers to me.
Posted by: thaxor

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 06:49 PM

beatiful work, looking forward to some construction pictures
I've tried lots of jig experiments, they don't turn out nearly as pretty as yours smile

Also could you throw a quarter into future pics for scale?

thanks
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 07:52 PM

This past weekend I swung some unweighted black/blue MOAL's I bought real cheap from Cabela's.... buck apiece!

Looking to find a way to tie them where the hook can be rigged hangback on a free loop. That way dull hooks can be swapped out without sacrificing the fly.

Suggestions?
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 08:09 PM

Doc,
You can always just use another hook. I'd suggest a very light wire hook so it doesn't effect the flies movement.
Tie your loop down to it with your hangback loop far enough behind it to swap out the hook. Once you have your loop tied down, cut the eye and point off. Basically all you're using is the shank of the hook.
You can then use the piece of hook shank as the tie in starting point for your bunny.
Posted by: JDarr

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Queets guy
Twitch, where do you find your silver head beads? I like those much more so than the regular molded lead jig heads, but Ive had trouble lately being able to get my hands on some.

Todd sells jig heads like that...His are gold not silver, but so are a lot of Eric's and if you get Todd's you're going to get excellent hooks....just tied a few Todd jigs up myself the other night, unfortunately Eric's are way cooler looking.

JD

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
This past weekend I swung some unweighted black/blue MOAL's I bought real cheap from Cabela's.... buck apiece!

Looking to find a way to tie them where the hook can be rigged hangback on a free loop. That way dull hooks can be swapped out without sacrificing the fly.

Suggestions?

This is the really easy way...
Posted by: Jason Y

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Queets guy

Barlowstackle.com offers them in Nickel in 5 sizes from 5/32 to 11/32 either 25 or hundred packs

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Twitch

This is the really easy way...

No $hit, Sherlock.

If I wanted easy, I'd trade out the Spey rod for a pitch fork, too.

Seriously, I really like the full symmetric body of a true MOAL without the insightly skin showing.

Gotta good way to do that and still leave enough loop exposed to easily swap out hooks when necessary?

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 09:59 PM

Hey...you asked for easy... didn't say a thing about aesthetics!

You mean like this...

Just start tying your bunny in about 1" up from the hook eye...

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 10:23 PM

Oh, you da man!

How are you attaching the end of the bunny to the loop? Glue or just tie it in with thread?
Posted by: GBL

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 10:39 PM

Twitch-
You have a new business!
Make me a bunch, I'll buy them and try them out for Native Steelhead up on the Situk in May!
Posted by: sykofish

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/16/10 11:11 PM

Dam Twitch, thats borderline art!

If you ever want to travel north and stay within the state, ya got a seat in my boat anyday.
Posted by: First Bite

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/17/10 12:15 AM

Beautiful looking jigs Twitch. Way to think outside the box.

Mark
Posted by: Doctor Rick

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/17/10 02:16 AM

Me too. I could use some instruction.
Posted by: Doctor Rick

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/17/10 02:39 AM

Twitch,
Do you want to keep teasing everyone with your beautiful work, or are you going to share the pics and details?
Posted by: CraigO

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/17/10 09:18 AM

Awesome jigs, I am going to pu in a order!
Posted by: Chromebrite

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/17/10 03:34 PM

Nice work Twitch! Those jigs are saaweeeet....

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/17/10 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Doctor Rick
Twitch,
Do you want to keep teasing everyone with your beautiful work, or are you going to share the pics and details?

It's coming, sorry, been wayyyy too swamped to do the multi-pic/upload stuff...
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/17/10 04:12 PM

Nice lookin set up's.U's got skills.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: lukesfishin

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/17/10 08:38 PM

chenile wurms? dead sexy!!
Posted by: hybridcx

Re: Gettin' strung out on jigs... - 02/17/10 09:30 PM

damn thouse look killer