Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal!

Posted by: eyeFISH

Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 06:43 PM

It's official.....

Below I-5 March 1-April 18; seven days a week except closed Tuesdays in March.

I-5 to 205 is March 1-14 (except March 9) seven days. March 18-April 3, Thursday-Saturday.

Bank angling same days, but all the way to Bonneville.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 07:07 PM

So much for the chance to bounce below the big wall.

Unless of course the run-size update shows the entire run-size forecast actually shows up.
Posted by: Illahee

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 07:30 PM

One of the models showed 800K returning.
Posted by: Canyon Man

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 07:37 PM

Plunking at Bonneville should be insane....especially with the low runoff. I assume 1 per day as usual right doc?

CM
Posted by: kevin lund

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 07:42 PM

Guess I will have to throw away all the eggs and learn to troll herring.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Canyon Man
Plunking at Bonneville should be insane....especially with the low runoff. I assume 1 per day as usual right doc?

CM

What will we do with the rest of our day?
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 07:58 PM

And the tiny purple fishes go passing through your fingers...
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: kevin lund
Guess I will have to throw away all the eggs and learn to troll herring.

Kevin your eggs probably have sodium sulfite on them and shouldn't be used in Oregon waters, so we'll take them off your hands and dispose of them properly.
In Washington waters...
Posted by: wak & stak

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 08:25 PM

i smell springer in the air..... ya hooo. slabhunter you know

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 08:38 PM

The official news release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE February 18, 2010

States set spring chinook, sturgeon seasons

OREGON CITY, Ore. – Fishery managers from Oregon and Washington set spring chinook salmon and sturgeon fishing seasons for the Columbia and Willamette rivers today during a joint state hearing.

Several fisheries, including those in the Willamette River and in the Columbia River between Bonneville Dam and the river mouth, are currently open under permanent rules and will remain open through February. The seasons adopted today will take effect March 1.

In an effort to boost sturgeon populations, fishery managers also extended an existing sturgeon sanctuary on the Columbia Bonneville Dam, created a new sturgeon sanctuary on the Willamette River and announced their intention to close a bank fishing site below Willamette Falls known as “The Wall,” effective April 1. Sturgeon fishing will be prohibited in the two sanctuaries from May 1 through Aug. 31.

In a separate announcement following the joint state hearing, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife announced that it will leave in place the current regulations that allow retention of spring chinook in the Willamette River open seven days a week, with a daily bag limit of two adipose fin-clipped chinook salmon or steelhead in any combination. ODFW is forecasting a return of 62,700 chinook salmon in the Willamette, which is one of the strongest returns in several years.

The Columbia spring chinook seasons are based on a forecast of 470,000 returning upriver spring chinook. As a conservative measure, the two states adopted a 40 percent buffer, leaving a combined harvest guideline of 17,200 fish in the sport fishery downstream of Bonneville Dam.

"Thanks to the large run forecast this year we are able to craft a spring chinook season that includes plenty of fishing opportunity throughout the river," said Steve Williams deputy administrator of ODFW's fish division. “If the forecast comes in as expected we may be able to provide even more opportunity.”

The sturgeon seasons are based on a recreational harvest guideline of 19,200 fish, including 3,600 in the Willamette.

About 50 people including sport and commercial fishermen showed up to listen and present testimony at the hearing, conducted at the Oregon Historical Society Bldg. in Oregon City.

The following is a summary of recreational fishing seasons adopted at today’s meeting. Additional information may be obtained on the ODFW Web site at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...s/columbia.asp.

CHINOOK SALMON

Columbia River from Buoy 10 to I-5 Bridge
Anglers will be permitted to fish seven days a week from March 1 through April 18 or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The season will be closed on Tuesdays, March 9, 16, 23 and 30. The purpose of the Tuesday closures is to provide possible commercial fishing days. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, of which no more than one may be a chinook. The rules also allow retention of up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

Columbia River from I-5 Bridge upstream to I-205 Bridge
This area is open to retention of adipose fin-clipped chinook salmon seven days a week from March 1-14 and three days a week Thursday through Saturday from March 18 – April 3, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The season is closed Tuesday, March 9. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, of which no more than one may be a chinook, and up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

Columbia River from I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam
This area will be closed to boat angling for salmon and steelhead through June 15 or until further notice. However, bank angling for salmon will be permitted from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam seven days a week from March 1 – 14 and Thursday through Saturday March 18 – April 3. The season will be closed Tuesday, March 9.

Columbia River from Bonneville Dam to the Oregon/Washington border
This area is open to retention of adipose fin-clipped steelhead through March 15 under permanent rules. Effective March 16, this area will be open to retention of adipose fin-clipped steelhead and adipose fin-clipped chinook through May 31, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, and up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.
Angling for salmon and steelhead from a boat between Bonneville Dam and the Tower Island power lines, approximately six miles down stream from The Dalles Dam, is prohibited. Bank angling is allowed in this area.

Willamette River
Open to retention of adipose fin-clipped adult chinook salmon and adipose fin-clipped steelhead seven days a week the entire year. Bag limit is two salmon or steelhead in any combination below Willamette Falls. Above the falls, one additional adipose fin-clipped steelhead may be retained.

STURGEON

Columbia River from Buoy 10 to Wauna power lines (River Mile 40)
Retention of white sturgeon is allowed seven days a week Jan. 1 – April 30, with a daily bag limit of one fish with a fork length of between 38 and 54 inches. This area is closed to retention of white sturgeon May 1-May 21. The season reopens seven days a week from May 22 through June 26, or until the harvest guideline is achieved, with a daily bag limit of one fish with a fork length of 41 to 54 inches.

Columbia River from Wauna power lines upstream to Bonneville Dam (including all adjacent Washington tributaries)
Retention of white sturgeon is allowed three days a week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday Jan. 1 – July 31 and Oct. 1 – Dec. 31, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. Daily bag limit is one white sturgeon with a fork length of 38 to 54 inches. Angling for sturgeon is prohibited from the upstream end of Skamania Island at River Marker #82 upstream to Bonneville Dam May 1 – Aug. 31.

Columbia River from Bonneville Dam to The Dalles Dam
This area is expected to reach the harvest guideline of 1,400 fish on Feb. 20, 2010 and will close to retention of white sturgeon effective 12:01 a.m. Feb. 21. Catch-and-release sturgeon angling will remain open.

Columbia River from The Dalles Dam to John Day Dam
This area is open to retention of white sturgeon seven days a week under permanent rules from Jan. 1 until the annual harvest guideline of 300 fish is met. The legal size limit for retention in this area is 43-54 inches fork length.

Columbia River from John Day Dam to McNary Dam
This area is expected to reach the harvest guideline of 165 fish Feb. 28, 2010 and will close to retention of white sturgeon effective 12:01 a.m. March 1. Catch-and-release sturgeon angling will remain open.

Willamette River downstream of Willamette Falls including the Multnomah Channel
Retention of white sturgeon is allowed three days a week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday Jan. 1 – March 31 and Nov. 1 – Dec. 31. Daily bag limit is one white sturgeon with a fork length of 38 to 54 inches. On the Willamette, angling for sturgeon is prohibited from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Willamette Falls May 1 – Aug. 31.

In other business the agencies took the following actions:

Adopted the 2009 Winter/Spring Preseason Commercial Fishing Plan
Set commercial fishing seasons for Select Area fisheries, including Blind Slough/Knappa Slough, Tongue Point/South Channel, Deep River and Young's Bay.
During chinook salmon season, limited retention of fin-clipped steelhead and shad to only those days where salmon season is open.
Limited the chinook salmon daily bag limit to one fin-clipped fish a day in Select Area fisheries on those days when the Columbia River below the I-5 Bridge is open to retention of chinook.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: wak & stak
i smell springer in the air..... ya hooo. slabhunter you know

I still have something like nine weeks of vacation. Lost my glasses overboard at the Marina. It sucks to get old.
Posted by: fire escape

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 10:09 PM

Columbia River from I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam
This area will be closed to boat angling for salmon and steelhead through June 15 or until further notice. However, bank angling for salmon will be permitted from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam seven days a week from March 1 – 14 and Thursday through Saturday March 18 – April 3. The season will be closed Tuesday, March 9.

WTF April 3rd Look at the old counts things don't even get going til around the second week. Un believable!! Maybe they want to buy my damn boat!! "Fishing From the Bank " It is the damn Coumbia river one of the largest in the world. Come ON!!
Posted by: Iwant2fish

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
The official news release:
Columbia River from Buoy 10 to I-5 Bridge
The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, of which no more than one may be a chinook. The rules also allow retention of up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

In other business the agencies took the following actions:

Limited the chinook salmon daily bag limit to one fin-clipped fish a day in Select Area fisheries on those days when the Columbia River below the I-5 Bridge is open to retention of chinook.

So which is it?? 1 Fish only or 1 Adult plus 5 Jacks??

Are the rules the same for Washington and Oregon for the C.R.???

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/18/10 11:36 PM

Only one adult salmon per day. Deep River is two only on days the mainstem is closed?
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: salmosalar
What size boat is required for this game?

Go Red Sox,
cds

Ive seen smaller boats, but I'd think 16' on up would be as small as I'd want to go.

I brought my old Gregor 16' with a 40hp down for a few years and it fished fine.
Posted by: FishNg1

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 01:42 AM

I want a seat Francis ! Make sure Fish4brains is there too.

Steve
Posted by: big moby

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 10:26 AM

Kevin,

Why don't you drive over to my place and throw your eggs in my garbage can? I have plenty of room thumbs
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: salmosalar
What size boat is required for this game?

Go Red Sox,
cds
i'd be ok out there in my 14' smoker craft alaskan on a nice day...wouldn't be much fun in the wind, though.

driving down I5, you'd think everyone has a $60k boat who's fishing down there.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 11:45 AM

I-205 to Bonny=BUNK CHIT.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
I-205 to Bonny=BUNK CHIT.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

you are telling me! 90% of my spring spinner/blade business as based on the bonny anchor fishery..... violin
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 02:02 PM

I'll fish with Steve and F4Bs. Fridays work for me but work really isnt all that important any day.
Damm it would be nice to see them nail this forcast...
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 02:19 PM

Pretty fun fishin a couple Saturday's with a 1,000 others out there.What about us workin folk / Weekend warriors????????????.I guess I'll beach my sled and become a plunker below bonny,whatever.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: Todd

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 07:54 PM

The Rule is officially out...

FISHING RULE CHANGE

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

February 19, 2010

Columbia River spring chinook seasons

Action: Sets fishing regulations for spring chinook salmon in the mainstem Columbia River.

Locations:

The mainstem Columbia River from Buoy 10 upstream to the I-5 Bridge.

Effective date: Through April 18, 2010, fishing for salmonids and shad is open 7 days per week, except closed on March 9, 16, 23, 30.

Effective March 1, 2010: Daily salmonid limit is 6 fish (hatchery chinook or hatchery steelhead), of which no more than 2 may be adults and no more than one may be an adult chinook. Release all wild chinook.

The mainstem Columbia River from the I-5 Bridge to the I-205 Bridge.

Effective date: March 1 through March 14, 2010, fishing for salmonids and shad is open 7 days per week, except closed on March 9.

Effective date: March 15 through April 3, fishing for salmonids and shad is open only on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.

Daily salmonid limit is 6 fish (hatchery chinook or hatchery steelhead), of which no more than 2 may be adults and no more than one may be an adult chinook. Release all wild chinook.

The mainstem Columbia River from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam.

Bank fishing only – closed to fishing for salmonids and shad from boats.

Effective date: March 1 through March 14, 2010. Fishing for salmonids and shad is open 7 days per week, except closed on March 9.

Effective date: March 15 through April 3, 2010. Fishing for salmonids and shad is open only on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

Daily salmonid limit is 6 fish (hatchery chinook or hatchery steelhead), of which no more than 2 may be adults and no more than one may be an adult chinook. Release all wild chinook.

Tower Island power lines (located about 6 miles downstream from the Dalles Dam) upstream to McNary Dam, plus Washington bank between Bonneville Dam and the Tower Island powerlines.

Effective date: March 16 through May 31, 2010. Fishing for salmon, steelhead and shad is open seven days per week.

Daily salmonid limit 6 fish, of which no more than 2 adult chinook salmon or hatchery steelhead or one of each. Release all wild chinook.

Species affected: Spring chinook, steelhead and shad

Reason for action: Harvestable numbers of salmon are available based on the forecasts and associated management agreements.

Other information: Additional fishing opportunity may be available after the run size is updated in early May. A news release describing the 2010 spring chinook season is available on the WDFW website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/

Information contact: (360) 696-6211. For latest information press *1010.

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license. Check the WDFW “Fishing in Washington” rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing regulations are subject to change. Call the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules or check the WDFW webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/fishregs.htm for details on fishing seasons and regulations. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360) 796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 07:55 PM

And a Deep Creek Rule Change to make it the same as the adjacent Columbia main stem...

FISHING RULE CHANGE

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

February 19, 2010

Hatchery adult spring chinook

daily limit to change in Deep River

Action: The daily limit for salmon in Deep River (Wahkiakum County) may not include more than one hatchery adult chinook during those days when the adjacent waters of the mainstem Columbia River are open to retention of spring chinook.

Effective date: March 1 through April 18, 2010.

Species affected: Salmon

Location: Deep River (Wahkiakum County) from the mouth to town bridge.

Reason for action: Boats launching from Deep River also fish the mainstem Columbia. This regulation will make the rules for both areas identical and easier to enforce.

Additional Information: Fishing for salmonids and shad on the adjacent mainstem Columbia is open 7 days per week, except closed on March 9, 16, 23 and 30. The daily salmonid limit is 6 fish, of which no more than 2 may be adult chinook salmon or hatchery steelhead of which no more than one may be an adult chinook. All wild chinook must be released.

Information contact: (360) 696-6211. For latest information press *1010.

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/19/10 08:35 PM

Todd,
Thanks for the Deep River information. thumbs
Guess I won't be burning the gas to try fishing there.
Posted by: dcrzfitter

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/20/10 09:28 PM

What is the point of closeing for boat up around Bonneville? And why so long?

I don't understand the resoning!!!

Kris
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/20/10 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: dcrzfitter

Kris

They're trying to spread out those 17,000 fish for sportsman and are trying to avoid the blood bath at least in the states eyes...

They'll do anything to keep us from fishing a "staging" area from the boats...

Just stay ahead of the game... Here's how...

Better build you a monster side planer with a flourescent colored that pops up on a bite, one that could handle a big jet diver behind it... That will be the new gimick to get the job done.. Picture it, standing up on the rip rap around the oak tree with a spool of 400 yards of tuff line. Run the side planer out with shrimp/eggs behind a 50 foot diver in the deeper water or a 20 foot diver for the shallower stuff... Death I tell ya and you wouldn't even interfere with the plunkers....

Care to come watch? what

Keith thumbs
Posted by: HOOKUP

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/20/10 11:02 PM

with no sportfishing at Bonny the sealions can feed in peace. The WDFW is all about management!
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/21/10 12:55 AM

I am getting jacked! Two different buds today went 1-2 in different boats. One was 20+. Pretty early to be even thinkn about it?... maybe not? I think the lack of runoff this year, with early warmer water temps could mean better early action. I may put my Steelhead gear away early this year.
Posted by: Gatorgetter

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/21/10 03:38 AM

Kris

Maybe your dumb ass needs to learn a different method of fishing besides sitting below dam fishing. Have you ever fished below a hatchery? My guess is yes with you.
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/21/10 04:01 AM

Quote:

Maybe your dumb ass needs to learn a different method of fishing besides sitting below dam fishing. Have you ever fished below a hatchery? My guess is yes with you.

glad I am not the only one that gets on this board while obviously impaired.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/21/10 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Gatorgetter

Kris

wow gatotgetter! seem a little uptight....run out of Steel reserve??
Posted by: snit

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/21/10 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Achewter
Quote:

glad I am not the only one that gets on this board while obviously impaired.

Good CHIT Art...almost spit coffee on the keyboard! Gotta go chase a few coyotes this morning! Springers can wait for another month for me...

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/21/10 12:57 PM

Kris

Nominated as the dumbest post of the year!!!

Let's see, have you ever fished below a hatchery? Hmm, we're targeting hatchery spring chinook aren't we??

What's wrong with wanting to fish a staging area for hatchery springers anyhow?

Keith thumbs

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/22/10 09:10 PM

Quote:

As a guide I see where you have massed your wealth of information and skills. Maybe there's a method behind the madness behind the powers to be decision. Could it be to maybe curtail the (many) wanna be guides that focus on fish that stage below a dam? What's it take to become a guide anyhow? Considering you made it the bar can't be to high.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/22/10 09:50 PM

gatorgetter,

You so funny!!!

Keith, I like the idea with the side plainer. Let me know when I'l' bring my punch card. Since we don't know how to fish any other place.

Kris

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/22/10 10:28 PM

Quote:

As a guide I see where you have massed your wealth of information and skills. Maybe there's a method behind the madness behind the powers to be decision. Could it be to maybe curtail the (many) wanna be guides that focus on fish that stage below a dam? What's it take to become a guide anyhow? Considering you made it the bar can't be to high.

So, you've never fished there before I take it?

Keith rofl
Posted by: stlhdr42

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 01:27 AM

Put a 19lber in the box today and crackered another off, its time.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 03:03 AM

Quote:

No I have not, I've never needed to or even wanted to. I'm not a guide and would never want to be part of your so called "staging area".

My intention is not to flame but you are challenging my ranking as the dumbest post ever.

Peace

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 10:38 AM

Gatorgetter , you are flaming something you admit have never experienced. That my friend is ignorance and dumb is bred from it!

Beacon Rock is one of the most beautiful sights you will ever see during a sunrise with a fish on.

There is a lot of water from I-205 to Bonneville dam , it is no fish hatchery.

Peace

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 11:51 AM

Quote:

No I have not, I've never needed to or even wanted to. I'm not a guide and would never want to be part of your so called "staging area".

My intention is not to flame but you are challenging my ranking as the dumbest post ever.

Peace

To me it's not a matter of needing to fish Bonneville, it's just common sense... You can either chase a tide down in the lower Columbia and hope you've got a batch of fish moving through or you can go to where you know the fish are stacked about anytime after April 5th pretty much guarantee a limit for the boat... I'm more into the guaranteed bite if you know what I mean.... I want springers in my freezer, I enjoy eating them and the less money I have to spend chasing a bite the better off I am...

If you ever had the chance to fish Bonneville in the peak it would be hard pressed to ever want to fish the lower C again....

Where else can you go in this state and have 20+ Springer days?

Keith thumbs

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 03:10 PM

Kris

The thing is, the upriver run size is in question after the missed forecasts the last couple of years.
Until the update in May the focus is on lower river stocks. That's the reason for the restricted opportunity on upriver impacts.
Posted by: Smalma

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 05:11 PM

Stlhdr pretty much hit the issue directly on the head with this comment -

"you can go to where you know the fish are stacked about anytime after April 5th pretty much guarantee a limit for the boat..."

With the increased catch rates the he and other experience in that particular fishery any extended fishing in that area dramatically increase catch rates which equal dramatically shorter seasons. It should be clear to all by now that a major priority from both States is proving as much time on the water as possible (equals more man-days of fishing which equals more $$$). Allowing fishing in areas and times with high catch rates must led to less time on the water.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that Columbia River spring Chinook is limited by wild fish impacts; unless the ratio of hatchery to wild can be changed by fishing site selection the more fish handled the shorter the season.

Tight lines
Curt

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 05:21 PM

As much as I like to fish the big wall I would rather have a longer season in the lower end than fish bonny a couple times. Its a blood run goin there and would definetly eat up our quota pretty quickly, good call by the dept IMO.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 06:03 PM

Bonneville is only good when there are fish present to be taken. Why do you think they are closing it to all Salmon fishing on April 3rd. That's when the fish start to show in decent #'s.

I've had all kinds of guys come up with idea of how they are going to slay the fish at bonneville off the bank. You folks are in for a rude awakening. If the flows stay low like they are now, those famous plunking spots will be dry, kinda like the back channel. In low water years the fish will be in the deeper areas with more protection. High water is what makes the plunking so good. Sure, there will be fish caught before April 3rd, even some decent days, but fare from epic, as the fish will just be starting to show up at the wall.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 06:08 PM

I would guess they will start spilling water soon at bonny to help the smolts pass over. We caught 6 or 8 smolts yesterday in the lower river, normally they raise the river up in march and screw the fishin up a little bit to safely push those smolts. They had it really flowing last year by the end of march.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 06:12 PM

Remember 2001? No snow pack and they let very little water out of the wall until May. Why is this year any different?

You can't let out water that you don't have

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Smalma
Stlhdr pretty much hit the issue directly on the head with this comment -

"you can go to where you know the fish are stacked about anytime after April 5th pretty much guarantee a limit for the boat..."

With the increased catch rates the he and other experience in that particular fishery any extended fishing in that area dramatically increase catch rates which equal dramatically shorter seasons. It should be clear to all by now that a major priority from both States is proving as much time on the water as possible (equals more man-days of fishing which equals more $$$). Allowing fishing in areas and times with high catch rates must led to less time on the water.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that Columbia River spring Chinook is limited by wild fish impacts; unless the ratio of hatchery to wild can be changed by fishing site selection the more fish handled the shorter the season.

Tight lines
Curt

It's funny how it's a catch 22 though. Ironically, everyone wants our wild fish #'s to increase giving larger percentage of hatchery fish to be taken in future years.

But on another note there's people that want to extend the seasons which in return will make for more wild fish handled... Right?

I understand the logic of revenue but shouldn't we get in and get out with our quotas as quick as possible? Less impact on the wild fish putting them on the spawning beds?

Keith thumbs

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/23/10 11:16 PM

I agree on the get in and get out idea. But follow the money. By limiting things the way they have it will force many more angler trips. It's a way of squeezing one more $ out of fishermen. Force us to fish more days and look at the revenue they creat. It's never about the fish just the $$$.

Kris

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/24/10 01:27 AM

Stlhdr -
No sure why it is so hard for folks to grasp the basic concept of Columbia River Spring Chinook management. It is all about the wild fish ESA impacts. Those allowable imapcts deteremine the quota. It makes no difference whether that quota is caught in 10 days or 50 days it will result in the same number of dead wild fish.

If you want to limit the wild fish impacts then folks need to stop fishing in that mix stock main river fishery and wait until the hatchery and wild fish sort themselves out (at least somewaht). Of course that would mean no lower river fishery at all and terminal fisheries mostly tributaries.

Or the managers could do as often is suggested for the commercial and tribal fisheries and just dip the hatchery fish out of the fish ladders and hand them out to waiting "anglers".

Have wonder how many of the Columbia River spring Chinook fishers would vote for either of those approachs? Could remove more hatchery fish and actual kill fewer wild fish.

Something to ponder!
Curt

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/24/10 01:45 AM

That's exactly the point that so many miss.

It ain't just about the meat.

Sure, the meat's a HUGE part of it, some would say the most important part of it.

But without the experience of going out there and catching them of your own volition and effort..... regardless of gear type..... it ain't the same. And no one wants to participate without that interactive element of "chase".

Deep down, we are all fishermen. We love to see that rod bury when a fish commits to the herring, or see that bobber take that fatal plunge when a fresh springer has inhaled that egg/shrimp cocktail.

A commercial guy gets the same thrill when his cork-line starts bobbing up and down...... yeah! got 'im!

No self-respecting fisherman wants to be handed a pile of dead flesh just for showing up in line. We all want to be like that osprey, working hard to procure a fishy meal by the sweat of our individual effort..... not like some scavenging eagle grazing on rotting chum.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/24/10 01:21 PM

Scavenging eagle or the honest fishing osprey -- what an analogy Doc!

While Smalma's point that we all - treaty, non-treaty commercial, and recreational - could have our fish carefully handled and sorted at the Bonneville ladder, more than just the point of fishing will be lost. The inherent inefficiency of the sport fishery in a significant cash infusion to local economies. My inept salmon catching ability values each springer at about $500 to $1,000 contributed. Contrast that with having one handed to me at the Bonnie ladder, or even at $5 per pound from treaty fishermen at Cascade Locks. OK, maybe I should sell my boat and gear, but I haven't even installed those new Folbe rod holders yet.

Sg

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/24/10 03:12 PM

Salmo g

You are making my point; regardless of the user group it ultimately boils down their individual desires/needs and the all mighty dollar.

Unfortuantely more often than not wild fish concerns are used as a lever to advance a users cause at the expense of a competing user and not to put more fish on the spawning grounds.

None of that should be too surprising; it is after all human nature and is to be expected. I however do find it disingenuous when folks use psuedo biological arguments to advance an economic/social agenda. Again there is nothing wrong with making one's case using an economic argument; just be honest about it.

Tight lines
Curt
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/24/10 03:35 PM

Agreed Smalma. Ultimately the LCR fish allocation issues need to be aired as the fight over the remaining scraps of the resource that it really is. Although I'm not opposed to commercial fishing, I've long since decided that the LCR non-treaty gillnet fleet is a social, economic, and biological anachronism. Too few people benefit from the limited public fishery resource, turning fewer dollars, and causing biological harm in the form of steelhead and sturgeon bycatch. Now if the gillnet fleet switches to more selective gear types, then the issue just comes down to social and economic terms of highest and best use for society. And the non-fishing consumer and restaurant trade can still obtain their fish from the treaty fishery, no problem.

The only way the LCR commercial fishery is justified is if society somehow concludes that it is beneficial overall to allow a small select group of "limited entry" permit holders to continue their part time hobby fishing jobs at the direct public expense (in the form of lost recreational fishing opportunity) of the majority. The logic in that entitlement is perverse, at best.

Sg

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/24/10 03:43 PM

Eyefish hit it on the head. Most of us are fisherman who enjoy the hunt and the act of fishing. By closing the bonny area we will have more time to enjoy fishing in the lower river. Yes at the right time you could catch 5 times the fish in a day at the dam but I would rather fish 5 times as many days on the lower river. No matter what it will equal out to be close to the same amount of fish I would put in the boat, IMO.
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/24/10 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: stlhdr42
I would guess they will start spilling water soon at bonny to help the smolts pass over. We caught 6 or 8 smolts yesterday in the lower river, normally they raise the river up in march and screw the fishin up a little bit to safely push those smolts. They had it really flowing last year by the end of march.

Rufus Woods Lake behind Chief Joseph Dam is as high and full as I've ever seen right now, poised to start dumping water any time.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/25/10 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: fire escape
Gatorgetter , you are flaming something you admit have never experienced. That my friend is ignorance and dumb is bred from it!

Beacon Rock is one of the most beautiful sights you will ever see during a sunrise with a fish on.

There is a lot of water from I-205 to Bonneville dam , it is no fish hatchery.

Peace

OK the dumbest post award goes to you. Where do you think these fish come from? Your crayon seams dull because they have to come from some where. Wind? Drano? Just where do you think these non native fish originate?

Has it ever occurred to you that estimates have been wrong since forever? Estimating a run and forecasting a quota before it happens is like shooting yourself in the foot before you can draw.

But hey as long as your on the long straw it's all good right.

STFU

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/25/10 01:52 PM

We both like the same drink you just don't like my drinking establishment. Unfortanely my favorite bar is closed this year.

Why does it have to be all or nothing? A selective fishery rule from I-205 to Bonneville would be an easier pill to swallow.

A reduction in the areas you could fish upriver this season would not taste so well, would it?

There is no winning this arguement.

Thanks for the "AWARD"

By the way I don't use a straw I drink right from the bottle.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/25/10 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: fire escape

A reduction in the areas you could fish upriver this season would not taste so well, would it?

There is no winning this arguement.

I'll agree the taste is very bad and has been felt by those up river every year, after year, after year. No worries because Washington and Oregon have a very good record of focking things up. I have no doubt they will continue the trend.

I don't consider these my fish or yours. This resource belongs to everybody. It's taken how many years for the powers to be to figure out that setting quotas based on a estimate just isn't working? The lower river fisherman have had it easy. I've fished it many times from B10 to the headwaters of the snake. I do think that opening a little more river would ease the congestion but it doesn't look like it's going happen for now. No worries if the estimated numbers pan out. You will have a chance to fish your favorite spot "aka staging area" below the dam.

Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! - 02/26/10 05:29 AM

For me Beacon Rock is more about the setting. Not sure how to describe it, but sitting there fishing and watching the sun hit that rock as it rises does something to rejuvenate my soul.
I looked forward to doing it again. Catching is a bonus..

We all have these spots that have a hold on us and when they are taken away for whatever reason right or not, it still sucks..