What do you expect from a guide?

Posted by: ParaLeaks

What do you expect from a guide? - 02/24/10 10:57 PM

The question really says it all. Do you expect the How, Why, When, Where tutoring, or simply a safe, good humored float of free-styling it?
Posted by: Driftfishnw

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/24/10 11:01 PM

To tell me when my shows are on..
Posted by: Bob

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/24/10 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
I expect to get told I missed another one.................... grin

That would be Pat ... in my case, we actually get to the "lost" stage with you smile
Posted by: larryb

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 12:46 AM

i expect to be told it is raining and the rivers are out.
Posted by: deerlick

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 12:55 AM

+1
Posted by: ondarvr

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 01:15 AM

Gee, I thought we would have caught some fish today.
Posted by: LoweDown

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 01:16 AM

"Are you going to row us back up to your truck?"
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 01:23 AM

Take me down river safely and teach me at least 1 thing I didn't know that morning. I prefer that one thing to not be that the guide is a perfect asshole. Pretty good luck to date on that.
Posted by: Joe Merlot

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 07:32 AM

To be told that "We crushed em yesterday right here, with the exact same baits and that pod of fish must have passed through."
Posted by: natelover

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: LoweDown
That right there is classic. lmao
Posted by: chrome demon

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 12:19 PM

side drifting
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 12:58 PM

Access first of all. I've hired a guide when I'm away from my home waters and don't have my boat(s) or maybe don't even know where the local water is. A guide service for a couple of days really adds interest and value to a vacation trip. We vacationed in Grand Bahama last year, and it's impossible to get to the bonefishing locations without a flats skiff. So the guide's skiff was essesntial to fishing. The guide also could see invisible (to me) bonefish, and although I could hardly understand anything he said, "11 o'clock, 40 feet" was perfectly understandable. So the second thing I expect from a guide is a skill that I lack.

On a trip to Utah, we hired a guide to float the Green River. His driftboat provided access that was essential to getting to where the fish are, and his local knowledge - small size 16 and 18 nymphs in the morning, large cicada dry flies in the afternoon - had us fishing successfully all day long. An outstanding shore lunch was an added plus.

So access and an additional skill come to mind as expectations of a fishing guide.

Sg
Posted by: OPfisher

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: LoweDown

You better be able to row back up [censored] corner Bret lol!
Posted by: larryb

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 01:35 PM

take a trip with bob and you will know what to expect from a guide
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 01:39 PM

To row the boat down a river that's holding fish, safely.Oh and maybe supply a leader or two if he has any left over from the day before.If not I'll have my own.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

P.S. If I can come away with just one thing that I learned or had forgot about it would be a good trip.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: larryb
take a trip with bob and you will know what to expect from a guide

agree
Posted by: Fog Ducker

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 01:53 PM

Certainly not a degree in piscatology, but it is nice to gain knowledge.
Posted by: fishook

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 02:51 PM

It’s what a guide does between the bit that keeps them in business, a few fish to the boats is the +.
Posted by: Brewer

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 05:25 PM

if it's a fly guy'd on a river closed to nates... then i'd want him convince me to keep it.... wink
Posted by: Loomis

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/25/10 06:59 PM

I like to measure my day when fishing or hunting with a guide by two things. Did the guide hold me back by his lack of skill or knowledge, or did I hold the guide back by not being able to connect when the opportunity was there.
Posted by: Somethingsmellsf

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/26/10 12:42 AM

Not having the guide holding my fish in all his hero shots!

Fishy
Posted by: Doctor Rick

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/26/10 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Loomis
I like to measure my day when fishing or hunting with a guide by two things. Did the guide hold me back by his lack of skill or knowledge, or did I hold the guide back by not being able to connect when the opportunity was there.

Good thoughts. If both are perfectly matched, that's good. If the guide holds me back, then I paid for a float. If I hold the guide back, then I try as quick as I can to change, to catch up, and I hope I remember to thank him for teaching me. Good Guides work for everything they make.

If he is a Richard Cranium I just say "Thank You," or not, and no head butts are involved, but my experience has been very good so far. (Thank you Gilly)

Somebody said, "It's between the bites that makes a good guide." I think it's before , during, between, and after the bites that makes a good dude. I am very thankful, and support as best I can, the Guides who have taught me what I know. The others, I forget.
Posted by: RogueFanatic

Re: What do you expect from a guide? - 02/26/10 12:47 PM

I expect them to be on time. I expect them not to walk us through a stretch of water another fisherman is fishing. I expect them not to get into a shouting match with said fly fisherman and threaten him. I could go on but that'll do.

Have had a few great experiences too Gilly in the salt, Two River Outfitter in Big Fork, MT, who not only put us on fish during tough conditions but did more than was expected in order to do so. That makes a good guide to me.