? about painting outboard jet unit?

Posted by: escapee

? about painting outboard jet unit? - 04/29/10 10:56 PM

I have a factory yamaha jet motor, the jet unit in yamaha grey. the paint is all blistered from saltwater use. how do I go about getting it repainted and could I expect longer life out of the paint the second time around? Know of anyone in the Everett/Marysville area familiar with corroded cast aluminum?
Posted by: tinmanxx

Re: ? about painting outboard jet unit? - 04/29/10 11:51 PM

Sandblast and epoxy prime with DP 40 then paint.
Posted by: Doug Kelly

Re: ? about painting outboard jet unit? - 04/30/10 11:24 AM

What tinmanxx said, I woulds be more incline to sand rather than sand blast, sand blasting leaves a powdery pitting that needs to be sanded any way, DP 40 is an excellant salt barrier, see the spec sheet from any auto paint supplier, I painted a 18 hp evinrude used the DP 40 then the del glow paint by ditzler, two part urethane paint, the motor stayed looking new for 15 years, no flaking or corrision, and was used in the salt 90% of its life, hopes this help's, Doug
Posted by: escapee

Re: ? about painting outboard jet unit? - 04/30/10 07:49 PM

it helps in that it sounds like it can be done, but I won't be doing it. I'm looking for a shop that can do it and is familiar with my situation.
Posted by: Loomis

Re: ? about painting outboard jet unit? - 05/01/10 01:25 AM

You might try "central collision" in everett. its down on marine view drive just south of the boat ramp. Dave their painter is pretty good.